Page 49 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy Lifestyle

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calcium req depends on age, height, weight etc... So, I don't know if U r taking the right amt of calcium...But if U r taking a min of 250-300 ml of milk/curd & u r around 5 ft 3 or 4 inches(& around 55 kgs), it should be find... this is a rough estimate...

& if possible, include an avg of 40-45 gms(rough estimate again for the same height/weight range) dhal everyday... or try to take other protein source...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkals
    Dev...I would love to have your kollu rasam recipe.
    Kals
    Here's the recipe for Horsegram Rasam...

Add more water for cooking the kollu than U normally do coz the excess water after cooking will be used for the rasam... Drain the excess water... Add more water if U feel the drained kollu water is concentrated...add a few crushed garlic , curry leaves & salt to it... Heat a tsp of oil... add some jeera & broken dry chillies to it... fry a bit & add this to the kollu water... add enough tamarind juice & let it boil for around 3-4 mins... That's it... I sometimes add the chillies & jeera without tempering ... tastes good as well...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    tfmlover, Thanks for the explanation...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Calcium req depends on age, height, weight etc... So, I don't know if U r taking the right amt of calcium...But if U r taking a min of 250-300 ml of milk/curd & u r around 5 ft 3 or 4 inches(& around 55 kgs), it should be find... this is a rough estimate...

& if possible, include an avg of 40-45 gms(rough estimate again for the same height/weight range) dhal everyday... or try to take other protein source...
    Thanks Dev, my milk, yoghurt intake should be around 250 ml everyday, my Dal intake is slightly less, I should find other ways of taking protien as I generally like variety in food so dal or dal based items are made only twice a week
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,

Pl. tell me shortcuts to improve my Haemoglobin count. I have a single digit HB count & diagonised by my gynaec as anaemic.

I'm taking dates / date syrup. My doc. told me take badam ( as halwa or cake) regularly. Is it true that Almond is good for aneamics?

Any other suggestions? (I'm a veggie)
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Scorpio,

Nice to see u in the food sec after a loooong time...

Food stuffs rich in iron helps... Combine this with food stuffs rich in Vitamin C as it helps in better absorption of iron... As far as I know, cashewnut is a better source of iron thean almonds... every 100 gms of cashewnut contains around 6mg of iron & almond contains around 3.5 mg per 100 gms... Tofu is a good source of iron as well...

Here are some websites that might be of use to you...
    http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/iron-rich-food.htm
    http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68d.stm

Post Thanks / Like
    Scorpio: The best way to increase your HB count is to eat a lot of keerai! Add keerai to your dosai maavu , to the chappati aata or anything that you can imagine, eat loads of murungai keerai specifically if not possible eat loads of any keerai! And when you do so eat an orange or drink a glass of orange juice. Supposedly Vitamin C enhances the chance of iron being absorbed into the blood! And reduce coffee / tea intake as much as possible...
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dev!

I do read this thread regularly but dont post.
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scorpio, from experience & doctor's advice I want to remind you that periodical deworming is mandatory, esp. if we happen to eat food prepared outside. Without this routine procedure any amount of intake of iron & keerai will bring poor result. It is true after these rains keerai will be scarce. But what about murungai keerai? My doctor sister prefers it to "vaikkaal" keeraikaL for hygeinic reasons! Agaththi is my hubby's favourite, another tree keerai! My trick for improving the family's iron intake is adding plenty of karuveppilai/koththumalli/puthina to our morning chutney for idli/dosai. My children used to joke about white thengkai chutney finding no place in our dining table!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scorpio: I agree with pp on this - my dosai and chappati are never plain, they always have plenty of keerai or corriander, mint, karivEpilai etc in them... that way it goes as a part of something else in case you don't like to eat them separately The odd time that I have a sandwich these days - it is always with green chutney!

Page 49 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast