Page 2 of 149 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy Lifestyle

Post Thanks / Like
    You people are taking all the fun out of life!!!!

On a more serious note, thanks for all the information. Hope I can summon up enough will power from under all those pounds of flesh to stick to the regimen!!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Jokes apart, I have a serious question...What about hunger?

With all this reducing quantities of food, you might be meeting the calorific requirements of the day, but I feel a big hole in the middle of my stomach, as Obelix would say!!

I feel hungry...is it healthy/wise to ignore the hunger pangs in the name of a healthy lifestyle?

How to tackle this issue?
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Badri,

U can take most fatty food in moderation(in the sense once in a week or so in limited quantity)...not much harm in it...But the thing is all junk foods r so tasty tht U'll be forced to overeat ,which will make u 'look' funny... Just kidding...

Post Thanks / Like
    I know...tell me about it...started of as Asterix, beginning to look more and more like Obelix now!!

But the funny thing is I don't like chips very much...nor chocolate and stuff...so that way, am not addicted to junk food very much. Plus the wife is strict on not buying junk food.

But still, I am not quite the desired shape...you get what I am saying? There are jeans I would love to get into...if I could!!!

What could be going wrong? I love veggies and eat a good share of them...one meal is only chapathi..morning breakfast is only wheat-oat-corn flakes and milk...as far as rice goes, only one helping with sambhar and curd + veg (standard)..no three course meals like sambhar, rasam, podis and curd...

what could the problem be?

Post Thanks / Like
    One reason for feeling hunry quiet often is coz U would've overfed ur stomach all these days & ur system is used to being overfed...So If u try to reduce food intake all of a sudden, it'll be a great shock to ur body & it'll start fighting for food... U'll have to 'phase out' the intake until u reach a point where u r taking just the req calories & not more...

So my advice would be to break ur means into smaller parts & take it at regular intervals (5-6 times a day) in moderation...Try to snack on healthy food like fruits,salads etc...& if atall U want to eat junks like chips,once in a while u can go in for the baked potato chips kind of stuffs that's available in the market these days... If u take non-vegetarion food,u can snack on peppered egg whites,roasted chicken(skinless) etc...They are healthier & they r rich in proteins too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Badri,

If you could tell me ur height,weight,age ,lifestyle etc,i can plan a good diet for you... & from what 've said, I don't find anything wrong in ur eating habits... But the culprit could be the amount of food U eat & the amt of oil used in cooking, weekend parties, overeating at night (coz that's when we find time to eat leisurely),& eating very late at night etc...

limit ur oil intake to 15ml(ie 1 tbsp = 3 tsp) per day...try to walk or cycle or swim for 1/2 hr everyday...atleast 5 days in a week...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, you are spot on couple of counts:

It is almost 10:30 pm when we finish dinner...I come late from work, and invariably get delayed for dinner...

Oil intake is definitely not 15 ml...while it is not too much either, it is about 25-30 ml I would say. Mostly it is olive oil...if not, it is sunflower.

jsut a quarter teaspoon of ghee is a part of the everyday routine.

I do walk a bit...not too too much, but then, I have to walk 10 minutes to the tram, and then another 5 or 10 to the station from the tram. The same for return...so thought not continously, I get to walk at least for 30 minutes a day (2x15)

I am 30, 5'6" and psst...I will send you a PM about my weight, ok?

And I am a software professional, so most of my work is sitting down. Absolutely no exercise, except the walk to work and back.

So, Dev, do your magic, and tell me how to improve!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    & Badri,

Tell me if u r a vegetarian or non-veg eater so that I can use it to plan ur diet to balance out on protein rquirements... I'll plan a diet where I'll let U know how much of rice,dhal,wheat,milk,veg,fruits etc U'll have to take everyday to balance out...

In ur case,ur diet style is ok but I guess U go wrong in the quantity U eat... & dinner at 10.30 is definitely late... If U r back home late,then try to go for a casual walk for 25-30 mins (along with ur family) after dinner(agree tht it's a bit hard in the beginning)... it should be helpful in both developing a good lifestyle as well as good relationship with ur family...

& pls forget abt the 10+10+10 mins walk to tram & all those stuff... dedicate 1/2 hr for exercise apart from those routine walks...

Post Thanks / Like
    forget abt the 10+10+10 mins walk to tram & all those stuff... dedicate 1/2 hr for exercise apart from those routine walks...
    Ouch...I knew you would go and spoil everything saying something like that!!

Here I was thinking I am getting my daily exercise and feeling good about it...

Thanks again, Dev for offering to help with the diet plan

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,

Excellent thread! (How did I miss it?? )

Very sad to see only Badri making full use of you!

I have a few questions-

1. Is the calories we need daily are measured in just Cal or KCal? I see on the pouch of say, a snack, they put the calories in Kcal. What is the conversion?

2. It will be nice if you can list out the calorie count of common foods like 1 cube of sugar, 100 ml of milk, 1 katori rice, dal, vegetables etc. Do give some indicated calorie count of 1 fried papad, 50gm of potato chips, 1 piece of sweets we tend to eat bit often etc. This will help us to arrive approximately how much calories we take in daily.

3. Tell me, for a software prof where physical exertion in workplace is very less, what is the daily calorie needed? I am in early thirties and 162 cm in height. ( I am a female, in case my username confuses u).

4. Pl. give the calories we spend for routine physical activities like climbing stairs, walking at moderate speed for 5 min, working before the PC for an hour etc

Thank u and wish to take the liberty to bombard u with more questions!
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Page 2 of 149 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast