Page 11 of 149 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy Lifestyle

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milk & Milk Products
    This food group is high up on the pyramid. This means that even though these foods are important for good health, you don't have to eat as many servings of them in one day as you do of foods lower down on the pyramid. Eating and drinking milk, yogurt, and low fat cheese is the best way to get your daily calcium and potassium & proteins to some extent.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev,
    Can u give me a list of food rich in Iron. I'm slightly anemeic (Hb : 10.8) but I don't want to take supplements. So I'm planning to take iron rich food to improve my Hb count.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tomato,Hope this helps...

Iron
    The body needs iron to transport oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. Iron helps because it's important in the formation of hemoglobin , which is the part of your red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout the body. Animal foods (e.g. meat) are the best sources of iron and the best way to absorb iron is to eat vitamin C rich foods at the same time.

Foods rich in iron

* meat, especially red meat
    * tuna and salmon
    * eggs
    * beans
    * dried fruits, like raisins
    * wheatgerm
    * dark green vegetables,like broccoli
    * black molasses
    * whole and enriched grains, like wheat or oats

Recommended daily allowance for Iron

US RDA: 10-18mg (30mg if pregnant)
    EU RDA: 14mg

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx dev for ur prompt reply

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Exercise

Hi Dev,
    I know that we have to burn calories to lose weight. If I walk in the treadmill for 30 min, I am able to lose only 300 cal(app), but if I do the elliptical training (stepper) for 3o min, it shows-the calories burnt as 700. So is it better to do stepper daily than walking? Why does everyone talk of walking so positively if that is the case?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anandhi,

Walking is preferred by most coz no expertise or equipment is required.You can do it anytime and it's free. & provided you do it regularly and for long enough, walking can be just as beneficial as any of the more vigorous activities.Walking,cycling & swimming are easier to do for those who are overweight .

On the other hand,many find it difficult to do stepper for a long time(say 30 mins) & at a good speed.It's not the case with walking. Most people will be able to walk( brisk) easily for 30 mins & at a good speed too.

But if U are comfortable doing stepper,U can continue with it.I used to do a mix of exercises like cycling for 15 mins...the next would be a walking for around 20 mins(with a few mins of jogging) & then I do stepper for 5-7 mins. U can do any combination you are comfortable with,but don't forget to warmup & cooldown.

There is no single exercise called the best exercise.So do whichever you are comfortable with & don't overdo .Never try to do too much,too soon. Start with something very gentle(ex:walking) & do it as long as you are comfortable.Gradually increase the time & speed.There is nothing called the optimal time/speed. It depends on the indivduals's fitness level. But 30-40 mins exercise is what is generally recommended.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks

just for 1 more question abt this-is it really true about the calories burnt in stepper-it increases so fast-then does that mean that the wt loss will be sooner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anandhi,

I don't rely much on the calorie burnt that are shown on the exercise machines. A point to be noted in stepper is that even if you don't make a full step(ie,U don't push the step until the end), it'll be counted as 1 step climbed & the calories calculated accordingly.I've tried by keeping both steps at the same level & just shaking a bit making 1/4 steps.But even then it's counted as 1 step & shows exhorbitant calories burnt.

Ideally,one should be able to lose approx around 12 cal/min in climbing stairs. The same amount(or marginally higher) will be burnt with stepper too. I've already provided the approx calories burnt for various activities, in the same thread.Pls check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anandi,

Here is your diet.It's a 1350kcal diet.All the weights are for raw(uncooked) ingredients.This diet will help u lose 1.25-1.5kgs per month(depending on how strictly it is followed) .This way,U can lost the excess weight in 4-5 months.In case u increase ur activity but maintain the same diet,U can reduce weight faster.

I've also given a sample diet for you.It will give you an idea about how to dristibute the diet ingredients between each meal.But U can make modifications to the timing you eat it but not to the quantity(taken as a whole).Ex: U can take 50 gms of dhal/day.This can be distributed between any meal as U wish but should not exceed 50 gms/day.Same holds good for all the other ingredients.

The diet:

Cereals:40 gms
    Low fat/fatfree milk or curds:400 ml
    Rice: 60 gms
    Wheat flour:40 gms
    Dhal:50 gms
    Veg:300 gms
    Fruits: 250 gms
    Milo(cocoa powder):10 gms
    Oil:15 ml
    Salt:10 gms
    Sugar:20 gms
    Masala powders:15 gms

Salt & spices can be added according to your taste.But try to keep it to the minimum possible.
    vegetables should be a mix of watery,leafy(both highest %) & starchy(lowest %).300 gms of veg includes onion,tomatoes & garlic also.
    Fruits can also be a mix like the above.Better avoid high enegry fruits (like banana) until
    U reduce the excess weight.Watery fruits like watermelon are recommended.

Drink as much water as U want but atleast 2.5 litres/day is a must. Avoid areated drinks & canned juices. If U want to have juice,always go in for fresh juice without added sugar.

Exercise:

30-45 mins of exercise(like brisk walking,stepper,cycling etc).

Sample diet plan:
    Morning:
    Cereals:40 gms
    Low fat/fatfree milk:300 ml
    Sugar:10-15 gms

snack:
    fruits: 100 gms

Lunch:
    rice/wheat: 60 gms
    Dhal:40 gms
    Veg:250 gms
    Since you said U don't like curds,I've avoided it.

Snack:
    Milk:100 ml
    Milo(cocoa powder):10 gms
    Sugar:10 gms

Dinner:
    wheat flour:40 gms(chapathis/dosa/broken wheat upma)not the white rava .it is the brown one.
    Dhal:10 gms
    veg:100 gms
    fruits:150 gms

Oil : 15ml for the whole day.

Please avoid biscuits until U reduce weight.After that you can have it in moderation.FYI,if U can avoid the milo powder & drink milk as such,U can reduce the calorie intake by another 40 calories. This 40 calories doesn't have much nutrients in it except for calcium(10mg).

Follow this diet for a week or so & tell me if u need any modifications.And,as always,better consult your physician before starting with the diet.

All the best dieting & keep posting ur feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi US,

If U can tell me ur daily diet,like what U have for BF,lunch & dinner,I call tell U how much of what U should eat to meet ur protein requirements.

Sorry for not requesting this info in the earlier post itself.
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Page 11 of 149 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast