Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G.Ramanathan

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Manisekaran (@ 202.*) on: Mon Dec 21 13:22:13 EST 1998

G. Ramanathan, SV VEngkatraman and CR Subbaraman are still called the "Thamizh thirai Isayin Mummoorthikal". The only film that had all these three genius composers working together is "Parijatham" They were all genius in their own ways, but SVV and CRS acknowledged GR as the "Isai Methai". GR always made it a point to come out with some tunes that are unique in some ways. Volumes could be written about GR, but let me just say within the limitaions in this thread. G Ramanathan's father was Gobalsamy Iyer who worked as sub-inspector in the Indian Railways. GR studied till standard 5. He married in 1942 and has 2 sons-one is Sai and the other is Baba. He himself is a devotee of Sai Baba and this is reflected in naming his sons. At the age of 18 he joined the Baratha Gana Saba, a drama troupe and played harmonium. Then he joined the famous VA Sellappa Drama company, and sang playback apart from playing harmonium. In 1932 a Tamil film called "Kalavarishi" was produced in Calcutta. That was the film where he first played musical instrument. When MKT produced Sathyaseelan in Bombay GR became the MD for that film. Next he was the MD for the old Vipranarayana. The first film to be produced in Madras with GR as the MD was Poogailas, followed by Parasuraman and Boologa Rambai(old). When Modern Theatres started to take movies almost all movies went to GR for music direction except a few such as Kaithi Kannayiram and Vannakkili where KVM directed the music. In Aayiram Thalai Vangiya Aboorva Chintamani he acted as the Sanyasi. GR never had proper training in carnatic music. It was all "keLvi gnanam". But later he picked up tremendous liking for the carnatic music and excelled in it to the astonishment of many vidvans. At a time when it used to be thought that cine music would never equal the pure form of carnatic music, the song "Manmatha Leelaiyai venRAr uNdO" proved otherwise. (Please refer to my article on MKT for details) Under various MDs of the later period light music became popular. But GR's music was not termed "light" in the strict sense of the word. Most of his songs were singled out as "semi classic". He believed that only music that had the carnatic base could endure. He was a great lover of the golden voice of GN Balasubramaniam, MLV, Maharajapuram Visvanatha Iyer, MKT and the Hindi film MD- Noushad. He himself had been a very good singer. He took his own film "Puthu Yugam" but was unfortunately an utter flop. In the cine field he loved the golden voice of the all time greatest MKT. Many times, while listening to the record of MKT GR lost himslef. Firstly he could not believe that he himself had been the composer of these soul-stirring songs, and secondly he could not believe that MKT could sing to the extent of mesmerising the MD himself. In one of the early interviews of GR he had mentioned that it was only MKT who could "deliver" what was expected of any singer. GR always went for excellence in any singer. That is why TMS mentioned that if one could sijng to the satisfaction and the tune of GR you could easily sing for the tune of any MD in any part of the world. Unlike other MDs GR used to sing out the songs before recording. GR became the MD when stage dramas were equally popular ie in the 1940s. He had to balance between the cinema and the stage dramas. In those days very few films were produced, but these films had far too many songs. It was conditional that the cine songs of those day had to be composed to the basic carnatic tune. The cinema companies used to provide food and accommodation to the MDs and singers in those days. They used to be kept under "house arrest" in the special studios for days. They practised the songs- at least for a week. During these days the singers were given special food to ensure that their voice do not get spoilt. The singers used to get up at dawn and take oil bath. They used to be consume special oil to smoothen their throat. To cut the story short, this is the atmosphere in which GR started his career in the cine field. The influence of drama music was always there in his films. A few examples of tunes lifted from drama songs: 1. Sarasarani Kalyani-Raja Desing 2. Vanamevum Rajakumara-Raja Desing 3. Anbe En Aaruyire- Kaveri 4. Thene Unnai thedi thedi-Ambikapathi 5. many of the Thooku Thooki songs etc etc etc... But he died at a time when music was becoming "lighter". His last film was "Deivathin Deivam" by KSG. GR's greatest talent was that he was able to compose tunes suiting the storyline as well as the period of production of the films. In the said last film he gave various moods. 1.Bharathiyar's "Kannan Mananilayiai Thangame Thangam- kandu vara vendumadi thangame thangam.(SJ) 2. Male solo- Kannukkul Ethanai Vellamadi(TMS) 3. Female Solo- Nee illatha ulagathile Nimmati Illai(PS) 4. Sad song- Paattu Paada Vaiyeduthen Elolo(PS) 5. Two ladies- Anname Sornamey...(PS&SJ) 6. Love duet with modern touch- Ennaruyire Kanivanamuthey...(PBS&SJ) There was alos a kachery by Seetrgazhi Govindarajan. Unfortunately he died of heart attack after the he had started composing for the film Arunakirinathar. Then T.R. Paappa completed it. Therfore the last film of GR was Deivathin Deivam. Matravai Oivu Irukkumpothu Manisekaran

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Udhaya (@ 205.*) on: Mon Dec 21 14:29:57 EST 1998

Manisekaran,
    Thanks for dignifying this thread with your amazing contribution. Now, I'm so glad to have started this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Sriram Lakshman (@ ifmx*) on: Mon Dec 21 15:07:44 EST 1998

Interesting stuff, Mani. I thought that "Arunagirinaathar" was GR's last movie in which TMS acted and sang for a paltry sum of Rs.15000 ( as a goodwill gesture towards GR). "Muthaithiru", "Aadavendum Mayile" were popular but GR died leaving his work to be continued by TR Papa who lifted "Tasveer Teri Dil me " from the Hindi film "Maya" and reproduced it as "Nilavo" sung by TMS and PS. "Deivathin Deivam" had a brilliant song sung by PS "Neeyillaatha Ulagathile" with compulsive flute pieces elevating the tune. Who can forget "Kaatru Veliyidai Kannamma" ? His favourite after MKT was TMS on whom he is said to have written an article called "Soundarabaranam" in Vikatan (???). Interesting to note that he was an admirer of Naushad. Naushad himself was said to have been bowled over by SVV's compositions in "Meera" (sung by MSS) and personally welcomed SVV in Bombay.

Post Thanks / Like

SK (@ pano*) on: Sat Aug 7 01:13:57 EDT 1999

A small collection of songs tuned by GRamanathan
    have been uploaded in the PPP Real Audio page...

http://members.xoom.com/ppp_songs/gr.html

Hopefully, listening to these songs will stimulate
    more discussion about the great composer's works.
    <a name="last"></a>

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ravi (@ hope*) on: Sat Dec 19 16:42:59 EST 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Oldposts

I was recently listening again to 'yaaradi nee mohini' from uthamapuththiran. WOW! A real foot tapper.. I am sure there is some kind of western influence in this song.
    Wow indeed. The kind of music they produced way back when. Its a perfect fusion of skat and jazz influences near the end of the song. Why are young asians (myself incl.) creating such crap that passes for fusion these days, are we cretivity crippled. Can someone please recommend similar tracks, pls see my thread Deppangethu & Rock, Jazz Fusion.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before my time is over, I want to do a full write up on Isai Medhai G. Ramanathan. Kanavu Meippada Vendum!

Manisekaran

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... and we will anxiously wait for it! 8)
    kaaththiruppaan kamala kannan ... (NOV actually!)
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ramaswamy Gireesan (@ fast*) on: Mon Dec 21 04:44:18 EST

Quote Originally Posted by Oldposts

GR was AFAIK, the first MD to use the raga Charukesi in film music. The song 'manmadha lIlaiyai venRAr uNdO' was acknowledged to be a good charukesi even by renowned musicians. I think he used a lot of Maand, and I can recall at least 3 instances of Kurinji in his compositions. His BGM was very ordinary, IMHO.

G.Ramaswamy

GR is well known for his Carnatic base.

Vasantha mullai polay vandhu - Charukesi only

Mullai malar malay - Kanada

Maasilaa nilavay nam - Maand ragam

Sindhanai sei manamay - Kalyani

He was the intermediary between MKT and the next generation.

SM subbaih nayudu and GR were contemproraries

Great musician

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried this question in another thread. Here it is again:
    "I came across the name G.Ramanathan who composed music for a western (American?) film called "The Jungle" (1952). He might have even won an award for that. Is he the same person who composed music for Tamil and Telugu films? It is possible that the answer is already somewhere in the HUB."

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast