Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MGR film songs are always popular

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

mani (@ 203.*) on: Mon Mar 5 03:56:00 EST 2001

MGR hits of TMS and Sirkali are already in the market with HMV. One can realise the tasteful trend with which MGR started his film career with beautiful songs and chasteful lyric. It is a pity that film music is not cosidered quality music as in MGR days. I recently saw the song Paal vannam paruvam kandu by PBS sung for MGR. It is really great to see MGR or Sivaji who had play back sung by literally all the singers in the industry from TMS,Sirkali,to VN Sundaram, SC Krishnan etc. Their acting was so perfect that it looked natural.
    Manisegaran - In a recent Jaya TV morning interview Sirkalis son Dr.Seerkazhi Siva chidambaram had mentioned about the cassetes which sirkali collected from you in M'sia and also that Chithoor Rani Padmini song was available with HMVs release "Thirayil malarntha sangeetham". He said that he had archived 16000 songs of his father in his golden era, in cassetes,CDs,78Rpm records etc.
    Your postings proves genuinity in contrary to most of the controversial postings in tfm page.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Manisegaran (@ 161.*) on: Fri Mar 9 20:32:14 EST 2001

Chechu,

The film for which Ilayaraja was about to compose for MGR was "Unnai Vida Matten"
    You are right that MDR could not dominate G. Ramanathan. But there weree many MDS who were highly poressurised by MGR to come out with their best. No MD escaped this. MGR was a perfectionist and he made it a condition that all tunes and lyrics must be made OK by him before recording the songs. MSV had tremendous pressure for the songs in Ulagam Sutrum Valiban, and the pressure paid off. KVM had tremendous pressurre for Ayiram Nilavey vaa in Adimai Penn(

Mani

Thanks for mentioning about Dr. Seergazhi.
    Ive been to see Dr. Seergazhi in Manthai Velipakkam in Santhome area Madras a number of times. Dr. Seergazhi has come to my house in 1985 when we discussed at length on cine songs. He was surpriesed I had so many songs of him in cassette. I gave him the collection of his songs. Im happy Dr. Seerkazhi Siva Chidambaram had mentioned this. Dr. Seergazhi had requested from me songs that had not come out in record. They are from Sithoor Rani Pathmini (Music by G.Ramanathan) and Kalaiarasi (Music by KVM) He also asked me to send the video of the film Agathiyar. Before I could forward these he passed away.

The late Navalar Nedunchezhiyan had requested Dr. Seergazhi to compile albums of songs by Seergazhi tuned by G. Ramanathan, but this too did not materialise.

Ive been meeting many singers, MDs and lyricists in all my 10 trips to Tamilnadu. I've posted the info I acquired whenever the relevant topics surfaced.

Thanks again
    Manisegaran

Post Thanks / Like

Ramani (@ 203.*) on: Sat Mar 10 12:55:26 EST 2001

G Ramanathan isayil Sirkazhi has been one of the popular releases of HMV. I have the cassette which has a vintage photo of GRamanatha Iyer with Sirkazhi.

Post Thanks / Like

Kripa (@ 210.*) on: Wed Mar 14 05:18:05 EST 2001

MGR was a trend setter of melodies with almost all the music directors, extracting the best out of them.
    There used to be a talk that he even got the payment dues of musicians from the producers before giving the next callsheet for them. Such was his respect for musicians. He even lit the lamp for IRs new house.
    Of course, those were days when music directors where embodiment of humility, with many people working at a time for a good number of movies, with a situation where MDs even putting over the next MGR film to the next man. With MGR in the current scene, you cant imagine of headweighted MDs around. There would have been justice to all aspects of music.

Post Thanks / Like

Raman (@ ) on: Sat Jan 12 19:07:09 EST 2002

Dear Friends,

I used to be a fan of MGR and now too. I am in the early 40s living outside India.

I believe that movies of MGR, as a matter of fact any old movies of the 50s, 60s, 70s had considerable flavour of moral.

Every time I revisit an MGR movie, though some of the scenes are a bit silly in today's context, overall I find the dialogues, songs, themes etc are (still) much more refreshing, especially when we are living in this materialistic and a fast moving world.

After life struggle, people look towards GEETHA, RAMAYANAM or MAHABHARATHAM for wisdom. Nothing wrong with those epics.

But the simplicity with which similar morals are told in MGRs movies/songs are amazing, if one listens to them very carefully.

It is amazing to see that even a very casual dialogue carried some moral or the other, in his movies/songs.

So may people talked both good and bad about MGR.

Somehow, I have been under the impression that his basic qualities originated from his life experiences towards hardship and the poor.

Whatever he has or might have done, he might have done to look after his interest to maintain his image in order to serve the poor.

This is my instinct says.

There is no true or false, unless someone was really close to MGR and experienced all the events that are talked about.

I really appreciate all of your effort to bring back the memories of our lives by discussing about MGRs songs and the success or otherwise.

Please keep up with the great work.

I will also post whatever I know about MGR and his films.

Post Thanks / Like

Vicky (@ 12.8*) on: Sat Jan 12 19:28:05 EST 2002

MGR never chose the legendary G Ramanatha I yer for his own productions. When he did "Mallai Kallan" for Pakshiraaja Studios (SM Sriramulu Naidu and Narayana Iyengar) it was SM Subbaih Naidu (brother of SM Sriramulu Naidu) who scored the Music. Even for his other hit "Nadodi Mannan " it was SMS again. G Ramanatha Iyer was a asthana composer for all Krishna Pictures movies(producer Lena Chetty) beginning from Krishna Bhakthi to Madurai Veeran. Is'nt that ironic.....

Post Thanks / Like

Raman (@ 203.*) on: Sat Jan 12 19:40:50 EST 2002

Anbulla Nanbargale,

I have forgotton about something in my previous message posted today.

Ungal anaivarukkum, enathu manamaarndha:

PUTHANDU MATRUM PONGAL NALVAALTHUKKAL.

MGRs Pongal release films were always used to be a hit.

I am not sure any of you were aware of this fact, just in case.

Looking forward to more info on MGR, his films and his songs,

Vanakkam

Raman

Post Thanks / Like

MGR a compassionate leader (@ 63.2*) on: Sun Jan 13 03:21:03

I agree about MGR too, used to ignore his films because he looked invincible in the 70s. now i revisit his hits. there is a profound level of thinking, finesse gone into the movie making. lot of sincerity, dedication, principles and talent. i think this was general across every actor in Tamil films till the 80s. BUt MGR was all about pure passion for anbu and tamizh panpu.

Post Thanks / Like

G.Ragavan (@ 139.*) on: Thu Jan 17 16:19:46 EST 2002

u know the MD who refused to score for MGR? It was none other than MSV. For the movie (Neerum Neruppum) MGR poked his nose into MSVs work much in such a way that changing singers too. finally all the songs were not good at all. When MGR approched MSV for the next movie, MSV disagreed first. He agreed only when MGR assured that he'll not disturb his work. From that time, MGR troubled the lyrics writter only.

Post Thanks / Like

Varna (@ ) on: Mon Sep 9 15:21:40 EDT 2002

Hi guys,

I'm glad to see so much of u like mgr too. No one understands why i love his songs. They almost always have a good moral to them. I don't understand all of them. But each time i hear his songs i always figure out something new. If u guys know where to find quality mgr songs. Please let me know.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast