Thread: want to know & learn the ragas and their differences

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

want to know & learn the ragas and their differences

Hi All,

This is My first post to this forum. This is really very helpful.
    I don't anything about MUSIC. But I'm interested to learn. I want to know & learn the ragas and their differences. Going for Vocal classes will be enough ?? give me suggestions...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can recognise music as music - that is enough a good start!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ms. Lavanya pmr,

First of all you have to be clear in mind... whether you want to become Musician by leasrning to Sing... or you want to just enjoy Music.

If it is the former.. i.e., Musician.. you can contact the people concerned in your place. If not available Self-tution is possible through Music- Teaching- CD Records which are available in the market as well as in the online.available

Alternatively if you want to know the basics of Music enabling to enjoy music just by hearing alone.... then you have to hear various Music CDs...as well as Music-concerts... Just by hearing a lot of concerts.. you will gain knowledge of your own accord withouit others help.

You have to hear frequently lot of Concerts. It is enough for te first stage. Later on you can develop.

Experience is the Best Teacher.
    Most INVALUABLE TREASURE is.. Time.
    Spend it MEANINGFULLY Spread effectively.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Thanks for replying...

I don't want to become a professional singer or musician .

i want 2 enjoy the music & want to sing for my self .
    that's why i want to learn something abt MUSIC

generally i'll listen to songs and sometimes instrumental music.
    But sometimes i couldn't enjoy the music as i don't know the imporatance and difference b/w ragas .

Anyways Let me try by listening to it more.

Thanks once again.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber catre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

MUSIC INFORMATION

I am Sri. Catre bainglente ramanmurthi kalempudi (i have a long name, please dont make fun of it and refer to me as Sr. CBRK)

Through the years, I have learned carnatic violin and I have never really come to enjoy it when people sing with the violin. Carnatic violin sounds beautiful by its self, now, when someone sings along with it, IT SOUNDS LIKE HELL!

Singing, i believe is the worst part of carnatic music. It sounds like someone is dying when they try singing GUMACUMS-the beautification of music. What ever you do young one seeking music, NEVER LEARN TO SING, PLAY AN INSTRUMENT.!

IF ANYONE HAS ?'S ABT CARNATIC MUSIC, EMAIL ME AT MM1557@HOTMAIL.COM AND I'LL REPLY!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    >someone sings along with it, IT SOUNDS LIKE HELL!<

Of course it sounds like hell when someone sings/plays and goes off shruti or murders the language (vocal) or sings/plays the incorrect note. The violin sounds like a cat screeching when one is learning. There is nothing abnormal about this. Once you acquire more and more practice, things will and do improve. As they say: Practice makes perfect. I know it takes years to progress to be artist on the concert stage.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any Art is a pleasure Not only to the Recipient but also to the Giver

And it is Maximum in Singing compared to any other Art... That is why... we take pleasure to sing of our own accord or murmur even while alone... as well as unique Bath-room-Singing... !!! Knowing wellNOBODY hears our Music... however crude it may be.

Such a pleasure while singing for the Artist himselves... many would have noticed in almost all the Artists... and prominently,... Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer...Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Madurai Mani Iyer and in Violin... Mysore Chowdia.... as well as Karaikudi Sambasiva iyer or Chittibabu on Veena.

In the ancient days there was a practice... that tye Gurus themselves used to insist on Vocal Singing alongwith the playing the Instruments like Harmonium, Veena and Violin. Such a practice continues with some people.

Besides as I said earlier... some Vidwans feels double pleasure in singing along with playing on Instruments.

Sometimes even the some of the Audience used to request for it. I have heard one such concert of Chowdia on Violin... while in the midst of the concert ... one popular Dignitary of te Town appealed to him to sing along and he did.... with his Horiible Voice... Quite contrary to his Sweet- Violin-Naadham.

Chorus or the Ensemble-Concerts are Unique and Far-different.. Joyful

In fact I too don't like the Artist singing along with the Instrument...

Both should not be jumbled with.... however mellifluous separately may be.

Like Mixing "Jangri" with 'Thayir-Vadai"... although both are delicious. INDIVIDUALLY.
    Most INVALUABLE TREASURE is.. Time.
    Spend it MEANINGFULLY Spread effectively.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber catre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

SANGEETHAM SOUNDS LIKE HE**

Hey again, its am Catre bainglente ramanmurthi kalempudim, AKA Catre. I am firm with my statement "sangeetham singing sounds like hell". I am not sure if people will reply to this, but, if you ever heard even so call greats "m. s subalakshmi (who knows what the m.s stands for?), it really does sound like hell. There gumacums-the beautification of music, sounds horrible, no matter who sings it. The way the move there voice , it sounds like this to me "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

ANYONE NEW, PLEASE LISTEN TO MY ADIVE, DO NOT MAJOR IN SINGING BUT PLAY AN INSTRUMENT, YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF FOR HOW MUCH BETTER IT SOUNDS! (I REALIZE THAT YOU MAY NEED TO SING IN ORDER TO PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENT)!

thank you , please reply to my post someonE!