Page 140 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1493

Thread: Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Standing tall, shining still
    T R JAWAHAR

That Sivaji Ganesan's statue has become sub-judice should be of little concern for his admirers. The actor non pareil stands tall in the hearts of the people.
    Born into a poor family, Ganesan took flight from home at the tender age of seven to meet his tryst with destiny, on the stage and screen. The spark was evident from his early days. In fact, he defied all logic and rules of artistic evolution. Sivaji Ganesan was a consummate actor from day one!

'With my first movie itself, I landed on the moon', he once told this writer. In fact he said, 'moo...o oon' in his typical booming baritone with that all too familiar drag that was vintage Sivaji. For a prolific performer of his calibre he was too humble and ever remained an ardent student of his vocation, even after he had written and re-written the grammar of acting several times over. ' What do I know? I only did what my directors bid me to do. All credit goes to them'.

He was certainly not acting when he said this, but the remarkable under-statement reflected the character and disposition of the man to life and to his career. 'I can never become a director. I can only act and this I can and I want to do till my last breath. I am not so talented as these youngsters who could write, act, sing, dance and direct'.

I still remember those bulging, probing eyes rolling in mock seriousness when he made the statement. Sivaji never wavered from his karmic duty as an actor. He was never even tempted into lofty rhetoric when lesser beings in the industry used to harangue endlessly on the pros and cons of acting. But then Sivaji did not have to speak. His portrayals spoke a million words, wrote a thousand theories on the art and science of acting and has spawned generations of actors, all trying to imitate and emulate him.

The sheer volume of his output is astounding and the versatality and vitality of his performances confound all. The breath-taking array of his roles makes one wonder if it was really just one man who did all this. He could switch from extreme roles in a jiffy. The regal gait of a monarch and the clumsy walk of a village idiot, the cunning viles of a villain or the utopian goodness of a hero, a doting father or a wayward son, a sanguine saint or a senseless maniac, as Lord Shiva or His devotee, from a short-tempered musician to a soft-spoken family man, you name it, and a visage of Sivaji would pop up your mind's screen. He was the undisputed master of melodrama and little wonder that the people of Tamilnadu, have laughed and wept with him for over five decades and will do so for time immemorial by watching his immortal performances.

Sivaji Ganesan was an ageless wonder. If the current generation were to study his career they would emerge completely confused about the chronology of his movies. Would anyone believe if I say that he did Navarathiri, Karnan and Puthiya Paravai in the same year? Or for that matter Thillana Mohanambal and Ooty Varai Uravu? Or again Thiruvarutchelvar and Iru Malargal? And to think that he was just thirty one when he played Kattabomman, the macho Tamil chieftain who dared the British or as the venerable V.O.C just a year later! For him acting was a series of different states of mind and the moment his mood shifted to the latest role on hand, the inner spirit automatically generated the relevant body language and expressions on the exterior. Here was a man whose every cell, every drop of blood, every sinew and muscle could act, thus creating a colossal facade that was much, much more than the sum of all its parts.

Such was the range of his histrionic abilities that he dwarfed all his peers and strode the tinsel world like a towering titan. Bestowed with an imposing demeanour, a powerful screen presence, a resonating voice that could also melt into a cool stream and vibrant eyes housed in a remarkable face, Sivaji was a make-up man's delight and a director's dream.

Sivaji was often accused of over emoting, but then with his bottomless ocean of skill, he could carry on till eternity unless the director bothered to say 'cut'. And few directors had the heart to stop the deluge and often left it to his fans to consume to their fill. In a way such directors did him a dis-service, but Sivaji had also proved that he was capable of 'restraining' himself if the director wanted it that way and movies like Sridhar's Nenjirukkum Varai, Balachander's Yethiroli and Savale Samali stand testimony to this facet of the actor. Sivaji was a gold mine of talent. He could be presented as raw gold, cut to size, polished to taste, made into any kind of jewellery or moulded into any shape. It was wholly upto the director to take his pick. But he was gold all the same, pure and pristine.

Sivaji was a national treasure but was also sadly a victim of regional bias. In a milieu dominated by Hindi film intellectuals who moulded filmi opinion at the national level, Sivaji was deliberately overlooked, though international recognition came his way unsolicited. For them Dilip Kumar and Raj Kapoor were pan Indian icons but Sivaji never figured in their scheme of things just because he hailed from a regional filmdom and spoke a local tongue. And paradoxically for him, in Tamilnadu he suffered because of the reverse effect. While he threw his lot with a national party, he was promptly sidelined owing to the dominance of Dravidian politicians of the sixties, who had appointed themselves as the sole custodians of Tamil. Could there ever be a greater protagonist of Tamil than Sivaji Ganesan or has anyone else enriched and elevated the language as he did, beyond paroachical walls and transcending State borders? Though Sivaji Ganesan brought glory and world attention to the State and his mother tongue, it is also a fact that he was badly let down here. An artiste of international stature was confined to totally local terrain.

All said, Sivaji Ganesan would ever remain the mascot for acting, for admirers and critics alike.
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Sivaji was a gold mine of talent. He could be presented as raw gold, cut to size, polished to taste, made into any kind of jewellery or moulded into any shape. It was wholly upto the director to take his pick. But he was gold all the same, pure and pristine.

This was what I argued to many of my friends. Not exact words, but words to that effect. It's so true. Directors are the goldsmiths who should know how to use him.

But I am talking about many years ago, when NT was still alive. Now, people are realising his real talent. As mentioned before, even a Vijay fan will agree that NT is the greatest of Tamil film actors (I can't argue about other state/languages, since I haven't seen them all).

The writer is right about the number and quality of films that can come out in one year.

Good find, Joe. Keep posting.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber abkhlabhi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting and nice write up. In fact I settled in B'lore more than 20 years, opportunity to see all language films. I am sure he is ONLY ONE REAL GREATEST ACTOR IN THE WORLD. THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Some of his movies remade in other languages. if you compare his acting skill with other actors such as Dilip, NTR, ANR, Rajkuamr, Amitab, Sanjeev kumar, Prem Nazir, etc. they are all no way near to NT. His movie may be flop and his acting never fails. Two days back I saw Arunodayam in Raj an average one, but in few scenes a real treat acting.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arunodhayam is a classic example of how the filmakers dared to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, simply with NTs strength alone.

The plot is a simple misunderstanding that grows out of proportion. The delight is watching NT wriggling himself out of it. Keep throwing more and more complexities at him and see how he comes out of it. Any other ordinary actor would have made that movie terrifically dull.

Now that you have mentioned it, Arunodhayam will be my weekend movie.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keezh vaanam sivakkum movie and songs are being discussed here.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber abkhlabhi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday (4/8/06) KTV telecast NT 125th Movie UM at 1.00 PM. I saw this movie when I was young. Yesterday I watched this movie. I don't find so called over acting this movie. So many times hubbers discussed and reviews. What can I say. A simply Classic movie . Raj TV telecast S.Selvan.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was one actor who survived the box office. Though he would have given few flops, certainly the distributors benefitted on the whole. before the advent of TV, I have seen his films ran full houses in villages. Many of his junior actors of his time had gone out of market and he was able to survive in the field. He was one man industry. He helped small actors by getting them acting opposite to him.
    He never feared image. He also acted with big actors of his time Gemini Ganesh, Muthuraman, SSR more than anyone else. Though the character and story demanded more actors, many feared they could not match him. SSR for instance negatived a role to act with Sivaji, but Gemini a equally popular actor agreed to act with Sivaji. Together they acted how many good films. Muthuraman was having heat stroke. Sivaji whenever acting with him, will first see Muthuraman's scenes are first completed and he is given rest.

That's why he is also called actors' actor
    Some of his films would have flopped because of timing of release.

Every actor has given good number of flops.

He was not lucky(we also) to have another Bhimsingh, Madavan, ACT, Krishnan Panju later in 80s and 90s.
    Vazga Sivaji pugaz

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is a bit lull these days. We have to activate this thread.

Sankara1970: overall, I like your post. But I may have to dispute with you on two things:

1. I agree Gemini was a popular actor, but I don't think he was equally popular to Sivaji.
    2. During his long peak stardom, Sivaji was synonymous to BO collection. I found this interesting link about Kollywood movie records:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ollywood_films

This link doesn't have complete history, but it is interesting in three places, where Sivaji and MGR movies were compared:
    1. 1965 - Enga Veettu Pillai played for 175 days and Thiruvilaiyaadal 182 days
    2 1972 - Pattikada Pattanama played for 189 days; Idhaya Veenai, Needhi and Dheivam 217 days each and Vasantha Maaligai 287 days (3 NT movies in the same year, ran over 175 days!!)
    3. 1974 - Aval Oru Thodarkadhai played for 140 days, Urimai Kural 175 days and Thanga Padhakkam 182 days

In above years, Sivaji movie ran more days than MGR's. The link also shows NT was the only hero who gave and repeated more than one silver jubilee hits in the same year. Even Rajini does not match this BO record!!

It is interesting to note that SSR did not like to act with Sivaji. Anyone has any intersting note about Koondukili, the only movie where two giants came together. Any issues between two thilagams? Whether MGR did not like to act with Sivaji or vice versa? Why did this movie fail miserably?

More later.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    tacinema..ive read enga veetu pillai ran for one year and M.G.R attended the function along with his crew!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber villan007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nilavupriyan
    tacinema..ive read enga veetu pillai ran for one year and M.G.R attended the function along with his crew!
    wikipedia links are not reliable... It can be edited by anyone...