Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rachel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    me too.

Post Thanks / Like

5. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Differentiating music genres (including their sub-genres) is as difficult as containing a song inside a specific genre box. And when it comes to Regional Soundtracks, the task is almost impossible when most of the time the songs are a mix, normally coined as Variety Music. Rather than sticking to a specific genre of music, several styles are induced within. This very aspect makes our compositors competent and unique.

When a listener wants to talk about the song he had listened to, and if he/she is not quite sure how to put it, the listener just slaps the song as "experimental". I have a completely different opinion on the usage of the word 'experimental', as I consider each song dug out of the musician's hat is indeed experimental. Anyway, that's not the topic I had chosen to talk today, but it’s about the new single titled "Thalai Viduthalai" from Vivegam composed and sung by Anirudh Ravichandran.

Before trying to force the song inside a genre envelope, here is a brief note (within my capacity of understanding) about Rock Genre which are hitting our regional music charts post the success of Kabali movie OST composed by Santosh Narayanan. I don't mean that it’s 'only after', but what I try to project is that Nerrupu Da certainly has boosted the re-entry of Rock Genre into our film music. I am glad to see our composers roaming around with electric guitars and jamming them to produce the most wonderful sound that I cherish every single moment while listening to such compositions.

Simply put, Rock Music is produced by combining the sounds extracted from a guitar and drums that are chained with the vocals. The magic is in its simplicity. The respective themes run around in circle while being stretched around, resulting in fabricating a collective sound that rings as a memorable music inside the ears. Here is where the 'experimental' part comes in, where other instruments like keyboards were added, and the vocals were twisted with blues or jazz, producing a variation in Rock Genre.

[See - Punk, Progressive, Classic, Alternative (Subs - Grunge, Garage, Industrial) which are basically Rock Genres trying to bend itself into modern sound.]

Hard Rock that is faster and louder than Rock gained popularity.

The rest of the genres that followed are the fusion between the Rock and Hard Rock, entirely depending on the style. Such diversified sounds obtained their own proper name - Metal.

Metal (or famously addressed as Heavy Metal) is a version of Hard Rock using the same scales and rhythms. Where it entirely detaches from Rock Genre is in its theme (like war) that it installs over the sound produced. The Heavy Metal is slower, gloomier with bluesy riffs and lyrically establishes its theme inside clean and clear vocals.

Alternative Metal is the combination of Metal and Alternate Rock.

Thrash Metal is Punk Rock added with Metal. The evolution paved way for Grindcore, which is an extreme mix of distorted sounds using down tuned guitars, grinding overdriven bass, high speed tempo and vocals which consist of growls and high-pitched shrieks. The theme is mostly based on politics.

Death Metal is born out of the union of Thrash Metal and Grindcore with a huge increase in the heaviness. Down tuned guitars extract deeper sounds with complex riffs and a particular hardcore drumming known as "blast beat" (originated in Thrash Metal), which is a repeated note played on a very high tempo divided uniformly among the bass drum, snare, and ride, crash, or hi-hat cymbal. Another uniqueness of Death Metal is double kick pedals on the bass drum to achieve a rumbling, machine-gun like effect. And yes, I confirm that Death Metal 'shouty' vocals are not just growls, but it has lyrics to them which are difficult to decipher. The basic theme is about gore and horror.

Black Metal is the fast tuned extreme music where a single string is stroked rapidly up and down. It is this genre that evolved later, into Folk and Celtic and also crawled its way into Symphony - yeah, you have got Symphonic Black Metal which combines the sounds of Metal with a sweeping orchestral backing. And the evolution of this genre swallowed Death Metal by bringing evil into its theme called as Blackened Death Metal. It’s mainly Satanism explored using trebly guitars inside an atmospheric arrangements.

Sub-Genre Nu-Metal is heavily inspired from Metal, both Heavy and Alternative. Synthesizer is used as an additional instrument and vocals change mood throughout the song indulging in Rap, hip-hop, groove and grunge.

I allow you to decide and wrap the single from Vivegam - Thalai Viduthalai - inside a music genre.

Coming to the song, "Thalai Viduthalai", even though the song feeds to my taste of music, it left me wanting it to be heavier and longer. Nevertheless, the shortness indeed maintains a high level for repeated listening. I would place the single not as an inspiration, but certainly as an influence of bands like Korn and SOAD. For instance (a song that comes to my mind at present), the song Dhusta from Iraivi sounds as though Santosh Narayanan is a huge fan of Godsmack's Voodo. If you find time, check the short film 'The Angel'; it holds a wonderful retake of 'Kaka Kaka Kanakavel Kaka' by Rajesh Murugesan (think I have already mentioned this song sometime back).

Lyricists and music composers, rather music directors, have always played a vital role in creating an image globe around an artist. They devise methods to shoot the star higher in his carrier graph, all the while moulding his image during his flight to stardom. It’s a known fact how keenly MGR and Sivaji observe the musical feature in their films. While MGR gives priority to lyrics delivered through captivating tunes, Sivaji aims to act for a song to match with the emotions brought out by the vocal. Such is the importance given by them to the songs. IR has been instrumental from Rajini in more than a million ways. The composer who gave the first intro song in Tamil movies, which happens to be the first for Rajini too, made the star to deviate a bit during the peak time of his carrier and plunge into unexplored waters of fame through the musical Veera (Konji Konji) & Mannan (Mother Song). ARR brought a multidimensional aspect of the stardom for Rajini by making music based on the star’s style branding it as a Rajni Exclusive. He went a step ahead and used the dialogue rendered by Rajini in the song structure establishing a unique variety of joy for the fans like me. Of course, Santosh Narayanan has polished the class set by MSV for Rajini (Sambo Siva Sambo from Ninaithale Inikkum ).

'Thalai Viduthalai' is the next stage launched to decorate the stardom of Ajith, which is neatly punctuated by Anirudh and Siva (the director of the film, who is also the lyricist). Referred as 'Thala' by his fans, this song promotes Ajith to a godly status, where the song is opened with Ajith uttering the famous dialogue from the movie inside a 'tambura -ish' strings play combined with a church bell sound. It is projected as 'The Message of The Divine', where Anirudh has dramatized his composition to acquire the fullest interest of the music enthusiasts, at the same time Siva elevates the image of Ajith among ‘Thala’ fans

As Ajith always points out 'Make it Simple', the simplicity of the single is what that clicks, at the same time 'Thalai Viduthalai' functions at multiple levels without just stopping itself from being a chartbuster.

Thalai Viduthalai - Vetri Nichayam
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks mappi..i read what you wrote..i didn't understand that much..for me it's like 'i like the song or i don't. :embarressed:

anyway thanks again for taking time to write some things about guitar, metal and music.

here is the 3 rd song.i like the visuals. not sure about the song.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vivegam Posters (Telugu)

Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

9. Likes rachel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoooohooooo awesome posters

Post Thanks / Like
    confirmed by production team release august 24 th

Post Thanks / Like
    ajith fans and vijay fans must watch this

Post Thanks / Like