Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilaiyaraja's New Albums 2016-18, News and Titbits

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rasayya, Thumbur, Krish - Well said. Some of the best and biggest albums of Raaja came from worst performing movies. That's the reality and how movie industry works. Raaja always quotes this phrase "Anything can happen in Cinema". Look at ace director Sridhar's "Ninaivellam Nithya" with poorly choreographed songs. The songs in NN is Gold standard for film music. Unfortunately the super-hit songs couldn't lift the box office collections. Later, Director Sridhar stuck gold with his mediocre movie "Thendrale Ennai Thodu" with a brilliant song album. The movie ran for more than a year in Salem and Coimbatore.

Bharathiraaja suffered with his flop "Nizhalgal" but the album had Platinum jubilee with Gold standard composition. Many such super albums came from box office disasters - Pattakathi Bhairavan, Solla Thudikuthu Manasu, Gramathu Athiyayam, many Vijaykanth films, Vikram, just to name a few from his cache of more than 1000 film albums. We all know hundreds of films which ran just for His songs. The current reality is that movies should have 100% superior script, story line, acting and novelty to even run for 30 days. There are no more 50 days run, except for few good story lines. I feel blessed to keep hearing Raaja's songs w/o knowing which movie it appeared 'cause the tunes still reverberate after all these years. Everything else is noise. I would like to see Raaja's background scores being performed in a live stage with full orchestration. The cancelled show at Los Angeles Walt Disney Concert Hall was the first such experiment to showcase his background score. John Williams has done few performances of his scores in US and UK.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another new Tamil movie starring Arya directed by Manja Pai director:

http://tamil.webdunia.com/article/ta...1200050_1.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Balki had special preview of songs of Ki and Ka. This reporter is highly impressed with the songs, especially the one composed by IR. Song is "Fool Ishq".

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movi...e/view/id/9750

thanks,

Krishnan

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone going for Ilayaraaja aayiram show on Feb 27th at YMCA grounds???

Junior Member Devoted Hubber rajaramsgi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244 View Post
    Looks like Balki had special preview of songs of Ki and Ka. This reporter is highly impressed with the songs, especially the one composed by IR. Song is "Fool Ishq".

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movi...e/view/id/9750

thanks,

Krishnan
    Looks like Raja sir composed only one song + bgm in this movie and I wonder why? No doubt Raja sir did an awesome song in Balki's earlier movies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gautam Menon talks to Raja Sir at Mahabalipuram, (ilayaraja 1000 logo release).. there is a second part to this, I will post it once it is uploaded. Perfect PR approach, Raja sir is humble, funny and spontaneous. I like these type of interviews. Must listen, lots of known and unknown information in this.

http://www.hotstar.com/tv/ilaiyaraaj...aja/1000085389
    Last edited by rajaramsgi; 21st February 2016 at 07:57 PM.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rajaramsgi,
    Tuned in to Vijay TV around that time and to my surprise this program was playing.
    Had probably commenced a few minutes ago I understand.
    The second portion was shot in his prasad Deluxe recirding studio. He showed and explained the locations of the various musicians during1973 when he was assisting GKV.
    When asked about other languages and how he dwelves into their nativity with ease, he gives a good reply.
    Sings "Jotheyalli" the classic hit for shankarnag and from the movie Geetha, awesome two lines just with his harmonium keys. My day was made. Couldn't ask for more.
    I am going to watch this again with the back up TV versions when it is made available.
    I loved every bit of the interview.

Noticed GVM never took his eyes off Raja even for a second or any distraction? Same I notice Kamal doing this gesture in london press meet lyca mobile show. Shows how much they are passionate and the depth of reverence they have against this simple man.

Nicely done and executed by Vijay TV and GVM did a matured job at anchoring.

Guys dont miss at any cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasayya View Post

Nicely done and executed by Vijay TV and GVM did a matured job at anchoring.

Guys dont miss at any cost.
    Thanks Rasayya.

here is the second part:

http://www.hotstar.com/tv/ilaiyaraaj...end/1000085476
    Last edited by rajaramsgi; 22nd February 2016 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kal rahe naa rahe (Khilte Hain Gul Yahan from Sharmeelee)... there are 2 versions, one by Kishore kumar and another by Lata Manageshkar. Raja Sir reminded me today of one of my childhood favorite and our good old kootu kudumba times......We used to have a record player at home and my uncles use to buy hindi and tamil records until the early 80s, I remember listening to Sharmeelee, Aradhana, Hum Kisise Hum Nahin etc..

Raja sir says: SD burman uses 3 phrases to repeat again and again in this song and increases Raja sir's curiosity without knowing what is going to come next. I guess you too love this one. By the way, sorry for posting a hindi song here. If it is good for Raja sir, then it is good for super duper good for us too Just thought of sharing what amazed our man.

(Kishore Kumar)
    (Lata Magaeshkar)
    Last edited by rajaramsgi; 22nd February 2016 at 09:22 PM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Vijay TV rAjA - GVM show on both the days and felt there were
    not many things an IR fan inhabiting these parts of the web
    did not know.
    A safe, sincere interview by GVM that made IR comfortable to open up , was evident.
    Few tid bits were fascinating for me, like
    1. IR improvising Kaapi raagam in Hindustani flavor during "thumbi vaa"
    2. IR singing with references to the Hindi original of "rAdhaiyin nenjamE" and
    how S.D.B got inspired by another "Abheri" based older song from another
    movie. Now, I need to look for this one too.
    3. Praising S.J for "rAsAvE .."
    4. How a tragicomedy was averted after IR decided against directing
    Rajini in "rAjAthi rAjA"
    5. S.V.Venkatraman on a 'ottagam' , composing 'engu maRaindhAyO' of
    M.S.S's Meera
    6. How he deliberately puts himself in other MD's shoes and
    decides NOT to compose bgm like them and come up each time with
    his own creativity.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast