Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Political correctness - rabble rousing - current affairs..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajeshkrv View Post
    it's ironical that Gujarat riots have been burried and forgotten while 1984 is being brought up again & again.
    every body had their share in either kindling or not managing riots time & again but nothing like Godhra.. (if not for L.K.Advani he wouldnt be here)

anyways .. i'm out of here.. thought only India is ruled by a dictator but this thread too has a dictator... forcing the opinion .. so enjoy the discussion and i'm out of here

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/child-de...r-hops-1244716

Good luck! and of course, India is such an intolerant country surrounded by countries that give absolutely equal rights to all and sundry - what a sad state of affairs
    Last edited by irir123; 20th November 2015 at 10:23 PM.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Regular Hubber lord_labakudoss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raagadevan:
    "the extreme manifestations of intolerance started after Modi became the Prime Minister."
    LL:
    'My problem is with "started after Modi" part.

I don't know how you think one kind of intolerance is worse than the other...'

AjithFederer:
    "I am surprised that you don't see this as intolerance."

I should be the one throwing up his hands in the air in frustration! Did I say anywhere that this is NOT intolerance?

Every country needs to find the balance between "Not hurting sensibilities" & "Freedom of speech". India leans towards the 1st one.
    India has a long track record of censorship (Freedom at midnight, Satanic Verses, Shivaji's biography, MF Hussain's paintings, Last Temptation, DaVinci Code)
    and suppression of basic rights of expression are very prevalent.

The law and order track record in India has always been dicy.

Once again, I am NOT TALKING about political parties and leaders. I am talking about the media and intellectual commentators - It is a sin to keep silence when "your side" guys indulge in these crimes and atrocities just because they are "your side".

Second, just for the sake of elections, dont be ready to sell your country out in the international arena. If you take the law and order situation out, India is a model for every other country in the world for diversity of thought & belief systems.
    There is not just "TOLERANCE", but active interaction with multiple systems that has been integral to our civilization.

Regards,
    LL

4. Thanks irir123 thanked for this post
    Likes irir123 liked this post
    Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_labakudoss View Post
    Raagadevan:
    "the extreme manifestations of intolerance started after Modi became the Prime Minister."
    LL:
    'My problem is with "started after Modi" part.

I don't know how you think one kind of intolerance is worse than the other...'

Regards,
    LL
    lord_labakudoss:

"Intolerance" of any kind is bad. The answer to your question is in the part of my posting that you did not quote! Here it is, in its entirety:

Quote Originally Posted by raagadevan View Post
    Modi didn't start "this trend of controlling what's on your plate", but the extreme manifestations of intolerance started after Modi became the Prime Minister. The killing of an innocent man by fanatic hooligans (instigated by a temple priest), threat to decapitate the democratically elected Chief Minister of a State in the Democratic Republic of India because he said he might eat beef, and the police (controlled by the Central Government) raid of a canteen in New Delhi owned and operated by the Government of a State in India [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...uffalo.htmlare] are some of the manifestations and examples of what appear to be "sanctioned" actions by "kar sevaks" of Modi's party.
    When we are discussing current events, what is/was happening in other countries and what others have done in the past cannot be used as an excuse or justification for the governing party and its volunteers continuing to harass, attack and and kill people for their way of life. What happened in the past was bad; but we don't correct that situation by doing more organized atrocities on people we don't like.

Regards to you too!

-RD

6. Likes rajeshkrv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pakistan leaders vow to protect Hindus

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/49796129.cms

In an inherently adversarial political culture, very rarely do rival Pakistani politicians speak in one voice. Diwali was one such rare occasion when leaders of three top political parties, including Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, echoed each other in supporting minority rights at separate festivities. Sharif flew to Karachi on Wednesday to take part in Diwali festivities amid war of words with military establishment after it put him under pressure again by publically ticking him off over tackling terror. An unfazed Sharif spoke passionately about minority rights, insisting all religions in Pakistan enjoyed equal rights while pledging to safeguard them at a function, where Gayatri Mantra was recited along with the Quran. He told Hindus he will stand by them if they are in distress. "Even if a Muslim commits an injustice, I will stand with the victim," said Sharif... Sharif called Diwali a celebration of struggle against evil while announcing the construction of a hospital named after spiritual leader Bhagat Kunwar in Hyderabad (Sindh).
    .................................................. ................

His arch-rival, Imran Khan, promised equal citizenship for minorities at a rally amid fireworks in Hindu-dominated Umerkot a day after Diwali. He said treatment of minorities would be exemplary in the 'New Pakistan' he promises to build. "We will take such care of minorities; make them equal citizens that Narendra Modi would be ashamed of himself over what is happening in India,'' he said amid loud cheers.
    .................................................. ................

Pakistan People's Party (PPP) chief Bilawal Bhutto Zardari joined the Hindus for Diwali festivities in Hindu-dominated Mithi in Tharparkar, where he cut a cake and enjoyed dandia performance. Bilawal expressed happiness that every house was lit up with diyas for Diwali while claiming religious freedom and harmony was being destroyed in India. He said the PPP considers Diwali as its own festival, but Modi does not even celebrate Eid while assuring his party would not discriminate on the religious basis. "We will continue to celebrate Eid and Diwali together, all under the flag of the PPP and the flag of Pakistan."

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindustan is for Hindus: Assam governor

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/49876275.cms

[Assam Governor PB] Acharya added that Assam has nothing to fear about 'Hindu refugees' from Bangladesh settling in the state and there is nothing wrong in Hindus from other countries taking shelter in India. "Hindustan is for Hindus. There is nothing wrong with that. Hindus from different countries can stay here. They cannot be outsiders. There is nothing to be feared about that. But how to accommodate them is a big question and we should think about that," he said... But he added, "We shouldn't allow a single Bangladeshi to be included in the NRC [National Register for Citizens] list."

Member Regular Hubber lord_labakudoss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagadevan View Post
    lord_labakudoss:

"Intolerance" of any kind is bad. The answer to your question is in the part of my posting that you did not quote! Here it is, in its entirety:

When we are discussing current events, what is/was happening in other countries and what others have done in the past cannot be used as an excuse or justification for the governing party and its volunteers continuing to harass, attack and and kill people for their way of life. What happened in the past was bad; but we don't correct that situation by doing more organized atrocities on people we don't like.

Regards to you too!

-RD
    You are still missing my point - I have not said ANY OF THESE are excusable because of the past. All I have said is if some one selectively raises their voice & ignores certain events, their credibility will be questioned. The first step to preventing these atrocities is to have a consistent standard.

(The sad story of corruption in TN is precisely because of these - Even in the general public, you'll see this - only bad behavior by one party will be criticized, not the other.)

The reason that other countries are relevant is: our people are raising these issues in other countries. Newspapers in other countries are publishing articles on these happenings - so we are perfectly within our rights to compare our track record vs these other countries.

Regards,
    LL

Post Thanks / Like
    Stringent punishment for cow slaughter, eating beef, Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar says

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/49884594.cms

And at the same time...

Haryana education dept magazine says beef source of iron

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/49574245.cms

Ayurveda prescribes beef for several disorders: Scientist

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/49743126.cms

Post Thanks / Like
    You are still missing my point
    I give up! I still can't see any relevant "point" in the current discussion!

12. Likes rajeshkrv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wife suggested moving out of India: Aamir on intolerance

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...?homepage=true

“As an individual, as part of this country as a citizen, we read in the papers what is happening, we see it on the news and certainly, I have been alarmed. I can’t deny. I have been alarmed by a number of incidents,” he said while speaking here at the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards.

The actor said he also felt that the sense of insecurity and fear had been growing in the past six or eight months.

“When I chat with Kiran [Kiran Rao] at home, she says ‘Should we move out of India?’ That’s a disastrous and big statement for Kiran to make. She fears for her child. She fears about what the atmosphere around us will be. She feels scared to open the newspapers every day.

LL: This is the "point" I am trying to make here. If a person like Aamir Khan and his wife feel insecure living in India because of the ongoing atrocities that I listed in my previous postings, imagine how an ordinary person who does not belong to the ruling party and/or the "majority" religion feels in the "democratic republic" of India!

14. Likes rajeshkrv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason that other countries are relevant is: our people are raising these issues in other countries.
    Read the report on Diwali celebrations in Pakistan (reported in the Times of India) and the Assam Governor's statement (again from the Times of India) that I posted above. Isn't it ironic?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast