View Poll Results: What mode of transport you prefer to take to reach your daily destination?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rail

2 8.33%
  • Road - Bus

1 4.17%
  • Road - Own car

14 58.33%
  • Road - Two wheeler (auto motive)

1 4.17%
  • Road - Bi cycle

4 16.67%
  • Road - by walk

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reaching your workplace -- interesting travelogues!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Reaching your workplace -- interesting travelogues!

This is a topic inspired by Praveen Kumar Mandangi. In his website he mentions having to travel 20 Kms to catch a train which would take him to his destination. There are many of us who have travelled long distances to reach their schools/colleges/worplaces. For instance, in the amazing city of Mumbai/Bombay thousands of people daily begin their day at 4 AM to catch a train leading to the city. Similarly people travel from Thiruvallur to Chennai everyday to work in offices and study in colleges. Their movement in itself gives rise to an amazing travel culture. It could be the 'bhajanavalis' in mumbai or card playing groups between thiruvallur - chennai and Gummidipoondi - Chennai train routes. Such vibrant movement also has created long lasting friendships and business ventures. Such a culture has also been depicted in movies and novels. Eg., the Shivaji, Saritha movie 'Thunai' directed by Durai. Railways. in these instances is seen not to link just two places, but thousands of hearts and minds. Throwing open this thread for you all !!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prefer own car, unless i'm in chennai, I would rather be on the auto....in japan, the bullet train....., in london, the underground ..I really think it depends on whre we are really....in Kl , am sure more and more will vote for LRT...

Post Thanks / Like
    NM!
    Going by your own car surely is the most comfortable way to get to your office. But is it interesting? If you take the public transport, you may get the chance to meet a lot of interesting people, listen to rumour mills in action and watch interesting episodes played out before us. For me a ride in cycle to college was the most memorable one, the fun gets tripled if there is someone riding with me. I was lucky in that regard in my school days, my brother use to take me 'doubles' in an old model bicycle, later I promoted to having singles ride to my school some 8 kms from my home. It was fun all the way particularly racing against approaching rain clouds!!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Jg,
    You're right abt the public transportation. I would not mind taking it if I am not in a rush to get to work........cos' apart from the gossips , we can enjoy the scenaries & scenarios along the way, whereas, when you're behind the wheel, eyes have got to be on the road! During college, I used to walk! It usually took me abt 30 - 45 mins to get to the college but I loved every second of it. Being in a different country made it all the more enjoying...my friends and I used to joke, sing all along ......I miss that life!!

Post Thanks / Like
    NM wrote:
    It usually took me abt 30 - 45 mins to get to the college but I loved every second of it.
    Given huge traffic problems in some cities, you can sometimes reach faster by cycle or walk!!
    Added advantage is the lack of guilty feeling of having polluted the airspace with carboncaeous emissions associated with a petrol/diesel driven vehicle!!! One more member in the team of "Captain Planet"
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Travel to workplace in public transport is sure interesting. My first job was in a rural town in northest part of Chennai and I used to travel there for full 2 hours by 1 train and 2 buses. As I was the youngest working member in the ladies' compartment of the train, I was looked after like a darling by many elderly women and pampered. I used to gape at them when they all will discuss their family probs with each other loudly and they will always end their talk saying I will not face such issues when I settle down in life. Choo sweet of them

There was a terrible experience too. After marriage, I got shifted to South Chennai and travel was more time-consuming. Suddenly, one day, I realised that I was being followed by one guy all thru' my travel. He used to stand in the bus-stop, get into the same bus, alight where I get down, get into the same train and follow me till my house. Newly married, I felt so delicate to even share this with my in-laws and was shell-shocked. After some days, he used to make rude gestures and will religiously follow me every evening. Once, when he showed me a 100 rupee note bundle and mouthed vulgar words, I thought that was the limit and told my husband who was at home early about the stalker.

When my hubby came out to see him, he started running and it was like some cinema with my hubby chasing him on his bike, leaving me shivering with fear. Finally, he was handed over to the police station and turned out that he had done such things with many girls previously !

Whenever I think of the torture I went thru' for few weeks, I feel afraid even now.
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I travel my company bus. The traffic if so horrible and scarry I dare not take my car. Leave driving to the proffesionals. As after as joy of driving is conserned I prefer long drives to country side.

Post Thanks / Like
    lets get back shall we???
    Scorpio!
    Whatever you said simply underlines the plight of being a working woman in India. At the same time, you are lucky to have considerate in laws and a dashing hero for your hubbie. Convey thanks from the hub for bashing up the stalker and saving one of the most active and intelligent hubber!!
    I would recommend you posting this hair raising adventure of yours in "Violence Against women " thread too.
    How are you travelling now? Hope not in the same bus and same route
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the concern JG.

That incident happened few years back and being my first job, I was scared to make an issue out of it till the guy made me to break down. What if I was asked to quit the job by my family? Thank God, it didn't happen that way!

I will contribute few of my experinces on violence against women, especially some that happened in my workplace.

Lucky I am, now I work in the heart of the city and have risen up in career to have my own transport.
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for U, scorpio!!

Well....that reminds me of one incident during college days. As I said earlier, I used to walk, right? Once I discovered another route that would take me through the woods and a tunnel, which leads straight into the heart of the town..Unfortunately, just soon after I "discovered" that route, there were incidences of stalking, flashers and sexual harassment & rape, too...
    But, me, being me, of course, thot nothin' of that and continued to use that route whenever I decide I need a break and a solitary walk!
    So, one day, just as I was entering the tunnel, I saw this silhouette of a tall guy, long hair, singing something.....and then, that figure started walking towards me..... I was terrified, can't shout, frozen with terror.....and all sorts of "things' came into my mind!!!! But, I just couldn't turn and run - I just froze!!!
    A few minutes later, I heard him laugh out loud and then, a girl came into the tunnel from the opposite direction and hugged him, laughing too!!
    Phew!! you can imagine my RELIEF!!! Apparently that guy was trying to scare his girlfriend but I happened to enter the tunnel and he thot' to start the FUN!! 'Till today, my heart beats fast whenever I remember that incident!! I shudder whenever I think what would happened if it was a real maniac??

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast