Page 50 of 177 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamil Cinema Box Office

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Point Dammy.
    The same I was mentioning. We just wanted to see how fair it is gonna be on theatre owners.

With ghe tax and all the movie should sail for another 40crs...!! It may or may not happen.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by girish1101 View Post
    Manitharil ithanai nirangala, sorry, Orutharil ithanai nirangala? Looking for facts Linga thread poi paarunga, BO figures facts yellam vazhinji kottikittu irukku, antha threadla yaaro black la ticket vitha rate yellam accuratea calculate senju atha base senju BO figures yellam kudutha maathiri nyabagam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I cant read your "tamimiglish". But I think whatever you say is always correct. I agree with you! Now dont try to agree against that again. REMEMBER! I agree with whatever you have said! Thanks for the understanding! Now go find someone else who has a disagreement with you!
    This is a very big world!

Junior Member Senior Hubber Dammy R's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Muthalvan View Post
    Good Point Dammy.
    The same I was mentioning. We just wanted to see how fair it is gonna be on theatre owners.

With ghe tax and all the movie should sail for another 40crs...!! It may or may not happen.
    That's why I said we are debating conflicting things here. The movie budget has nothing to do with a movies' hit or flop status. For all the big stars, the budget is generally recovered by producer before release itself, through TV, music rights and theatricals to distributors. After that, the distributors have to recover their investment based on how the movie fares at box office. Only if they recover their investment, is the movie termed as hit or average.
    Haters are just confused admirers. Instead of talking about people they claim to admire, they will read, write, know and talk more about people they claim to hate.

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Media is definitely portraying the budget to be well above 100c. But its not too hard to believe it considering the expenses it could have incurred.

Puli is a high budget Indian Tamil Movie, the total budget of the movie is around Rs. 118 Crore.
    http://www.infomovies.in/first-day-t...n-report-1213/

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/puli-budget...8-crore-629420
    http://behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-...18-crores.html
    Vijay's Puli budget is 120 crores - Chimbudevan | Shruti Hassan | Hansika:

Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by girish1101 View Post
    Manitharil ithanai nirangala, sorry, Orutharil ithanai nirangala? Looking for facts Linga thread poi paarunga, BO figures facts yellam vazhinji kottikittu irukku, antha threadla yaaro black la ticket vitha rate yellam accuratea calculate senju atha base senju BO figures yellam kudutha maathiri nyabagam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    can't control my laugh on black tickets calculation

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammy R View Post
    That's why I said we are debating conflicting things here. The movie budget has nothing to do with a movies' hit or flop status. For all the big stars, the budget is generally recovered by producer before release itself, through TV, music rights and theatricals to distributors. After that, the distributors have to recover their investment based on how the movie fares at box office. Only if they recover their investment, is the movie termed as hit or average.
    I used to think ROI is a criteria they use to judge if a movie is average/hit/blockbuster or flop. But has not been the case all the time. So I dont know how they do it. But most of the times, we dont get to hear the profits margin ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill4u View Post
    I used to think ROI is a criteria they use to judge if a movie is average/hit/blockbuster or flop. But has not been the case all the time. So I dont know how they do it. But most of the times, we dont get to hear the profits margin ..
    Yes Bill...it still is.. In case of Puli, the producer wouldve spent let's say 85 cr ( assumption )...and the overall pre release business is 101cr.; the producer already made ROI of 16 cr.
    Now the same goes for distributors, if the total distribution price is 74cr, all distributors put together need to make 74cr "share" ( I.e. gross less tax less theater rentals), to break even. Anything above this would be profit for them. Normally, the producers for big star movies always make profits, its only the distributors who are under the sword most times which is why we see all these issues around demanding compensation etc.

The hit or flop status is derived based on thE ROI for distributors. For producers of all big star movies, it is always a hit
    Last edited by Dammy R; 15th October 2015 at 12:11 AM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

The hit or flop status is derived based on thE ROI for distributors. For producers of all big star movies, it is always a hit
    If the movie does not do well, the distributors get hurt immediately. The producers will escape just for the moment. But it will haunt them later. If not, why do some producers go "bankrupt" even if they produce movies staring so called "big stars"? It will haunt them in their next movie for sure!
    Last edited by thamiz; 15th October 2015 at 12:20 AM.
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Siv.S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bimmer... I think it's unfair that you comment that Vijay fans are trying to project the movie differently. From Day 1, most Vijay fans including myself have been very honest about how we felt about the end output and our dissatisfaction around it.

Now, if you want to compare box office numbers of Puli with YA, let's do that sometime next week as I believe Puli will be replaced in a lot of screens this Friday. In a lot of centers like France, UK and Australia (these are tracked by Rentrak), it has indeed crossed YA collections and in places like US, Puli is a loss making venture (a lot of revenue was lost due to canceled premiers etc, but a loss is a loss) Just as much as I believe there is no point in trying to project Puli as a super hit, it applies to YA too, unless you want to argue that YA is a super hit. In that case, I would really say "peace out". Else let's just do a simple few posts next week comparing box office numbers from various sites, instead of doing it right now. Also, BW only tracks CBO as per that definition from Kaushik guy...and that segment constitutes to only 10 to 15% of overall TN collections in the larger scheme of things. At the end of the day, we all know that TN numbers are never shared openly by producers in most cases. Let's not make this another Ajith vs Vijay mudslinging debate bro.
    That was a good try Dammy, clubbing YA's and Puli's BO, YA was a superhit in overseas, in TN mostly above average to Hit status... with the competition from Anegan in the second weekend YA had more theatres than Puli, YA had special shows in almost all the major theatres even in the second weekend whereas for Puli not even single special show, moreover all the multiplexes reduced the shows also..

Check YA's third weekend shows here

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Yennai Arindhaal Show count for weekend in Sathyam cinemas:

Feb 20 ( Fri ) - 19 Shows
    Feb 21 ( Sat ) - 24 Shows
    Feb 22 ( Sun ) - 24 Shows
    The same you check for Puli and post it here,

YA had good no. of main theatres till Kaakki sattai release.. let's wait for one more day to check how many theatres Puli can have...

Post Thanks / Like
    Siv... First things first... I am not trying anything here buddy ..I never clubbed YA with Puli. Check the posts ...people were doing that already and it led to some unwanted debate as usual about Ajith vs Vijay. I only said we should wait for another few days to do a comparison. Also please check my post..I did say that Puli will be a loss in some overseas markets like US.

I honestly had no intention of creating unnecessary argument. If you have proof about YA being super hit etc.. I'm not gona spend time in countering or denying that. We were only talking about doing any box office numbers comparison next week. That's all. I have not said Puli will or is a super hit or bigger hit than YA etc. I think I know what status Puli is going to end at. Lets give it time to finish its full run. Peace out.
    Last edited by Dammy R; 15th October 2015 at 01:07 AM.