Page 76 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Thala Ajith's 56th Film-Vedhalam-Veeram Siva-AMRathnam - Anirudh - Winning combo

Senior Member Regular Hubber srimal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched again at ags- omr... Screen 4 is tooooo loud..

Shruthi seemed prettier today and Thala was omnipresent... There was a running commentary from back seat- most of us were repeat viewers anyway..... Loved the movie and atmosphere.. !!!

Right now Jaya max is doing an Ajith spl... My longest Thala deepavali ever

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool A cracker of an opening

November 14, 2015
    Updated: November 14, 2015 15:57 IST

A cracker of an opening

• A still from Vedalam

• A still from Vedalam

With Vedalam collecting the highest-ever figure of Rs. 15.5 crore on opening day, Ajith has proved his box-office mettle, yet again

Ajith is on a roll. His Deepavali release, Vedalam, has taken the biggest-ever opening for a Tamil film. It had grossed approximately Rs. 15.5 crore from Tamil Nadu on Deepavali day. As per trade sources, it has beaten the record created earlier by Lingaa and Kaththi on day one.

Today, Ajith (44) is riding a wave of popularity, especially among the youth (15 to 25 years group). In the last few years, this phenomenon has projected him as the heir apparent to Rajinikanth. It has been a fierce no-holds-barred battle for supremacy with arch-rival Vijay, for the Kollywood throne.

Though Ajith is not on any social media platform, his fans have tried to make social media their own. The rivalry between Ajith and Vijay helps to garner huge openings for both stars, and has only worked towards their advantage. In a way, the bitterness has created a halo around them, similar to the MGR-Sivaji, Rajini-Kamal rivalry of yesteryears.

Ajith, in his early days, was a romantic hero in films like Amaravathi, Aasai, Kadhal Kottai, andMugavaree. It was A. R. Murgadoss’s debut Dheena (2001) followed by Citizen (2001), which made him an action hero. After Dheena, his fans started calling him Thala, a moniker that has added to his aura. During this period, Ajith also portrayed characters with shades of grey with films such as Vaali, Villainand Billa. The actor’s strong negative characterisation in Mankatha (2011), Arrambam (2013) and nowVedalam (2015), has further expanded his fan base.

The conventional commercial mass hero of the 1980s and 1990s was a good family man, who took on the role of a crusader. Ajith, however, reworked the traditional hero concept, which had a direct connect with the youth audiences. Ajith came to be called the ‘King of Openings’, as his films took very good openings, thanks to youth audiences, who make up 90 per cent of the first weekend’s footfalls. It had its pitfalls, of course, as collections of such films fade after a terrific initial, as family audiences avoided his films.

In fact, Vijay films collect more in Tamil Nadu’s B and C centres, as they are made keeping family audiences and kids in mind. In a way, Vedalam is an answer to his critics, who said he cannot influence the large family audiences—the backbone of the success of a superstar like Rajinikanth. Vedalam had a U censor certificate (most of Ajith’s recent films have been certified UA, with Billa 2 getting an A certificate for its violent theme), making it eligible for entertainment tax exemption. Lakshmi Menon played the pivotal sister in a story that revolves around the sister sentiment. In the first half, Ajith plays Ganesh—a calm, friendly taxi driver who is an embodiment of goodness—while in the flashback portion, he plays Vedalam, a don. Director Siva got the commercial formula right, which not only made Ajith fans happy, but also brought in the family audiences.

A theatre owner from Madurai, said, “Director Siva, through Veeram and now with Vedalam, has made Ajith acceptable to the family audiences. We have never seen such a large number of women in our theatre for a Thala film. It is a clear sign that Vedalam is a super hit.”

Another major factor that worked in favour of Vedalam was its huge release across Tamil Nadu in the best screens with large capacity. For example, in Salem (which has the maximum B and C stations in Tamil Nadu), it released in a record 77 screens. The film has also taken a good opening in Kerala, Karnataka and international markets. As per trade sources, by the end of the first week, the film would be profitable from theatricals alone.
    Meanwhile, two days after the release of Vedalam, Ajith underwent a knee surgery at a Chennai hospital. As of now, his next film will likely be with the same director, Siva, and is expected to release by the end of 2016 or early 2017. Till then, the legend of Ajith will continue to rise.
    Link - http://www.thehindu.com/features/cin...cle7877428.ece
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bit of a very late entry into the party here. Had very low expectations for the film and was completely pleasantly surprised. Liked the movie and enjoyed the movie more than the recent Yennai Arindhaal but it is not a better film than YA. No rocket science there.

What worked (Lot of things) vs what didn't work very few.

The 1st half was a breeze. Comedy clicked (The whole white skin + baby face + innocent smile though very racist but was quite funny) better than Veeram for me/. Hell,i didnt think even sruthi could pull off some comedy.
    Too many maaaassssss scenes and they all did tastefully. This will be a rip roaring hit among his masses.
    The transformation scene,i expected it as i have seen similar stuff in Vaali and Villain. Keeps getting better. Must say he looked like a big bull in that fight.
    Not many songs, duets especially. Siva has learnt from his mistakes in Veeram.
    Aaluma doluma song. Too good. When i first heard anirudhs voice in it i mistook it as a call for prayer from your nearby darga... But in the movie looked very good.
    Even sentiment scenes weren't overdone.
    Avoiding louu - romance scenes between AJ/Sruthi and keeping it discreet.

What didnt work:
    Dummy villains
    Ajith bashing everyone in the pre interval fite. And in general being on top of everyone. This is where YA did it better.
    Anirudh BGM except in 1 or 2 scenes in the 1st half could have been much better.

This is the first time i saw an ajith film with a lot of female audience and they all seemed to enjoy the film. Good family audience as well and they all laughed at the right places. Will watch it again or 2 more times.

5. Likes Siv.S, kuttyshal liked this post
    Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHY SIVAJI GANESAN WOULD BE IMPRESSED WITH AJITH'S VEDALAM?
    Developed by : D Meera Chithirappaavai;

How many of you have got teased as 'Pasamalargal' while exchanging a special bondage between your siblings? Such is the impact films have on us.

Here we present to you the "Pasamalargal" of Tamil cinema who redefined the specialty of brother-sister relationship

source: behindwoods
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talked with my folks at my hometown which is a C center. VDLM is appreciated there to my surprise. They say it is a "hit" already!
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thala

chumma therikka vitrukkaru

enna expressions. vilayadirukkaru.

theatrela enna response. sema sema

long time such an amazing joyful experience...

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched it 3rd time @ Nataraj Theatre ....theatre full of visil and claps...i could see more repeat audience and family crowd.

1st time - Anjan
    2nd time - Cinepolis ETA mall
    3rd Time - Nataraj

Tomorrow again planning to GO for other theater ...repeat mode for Thala smile , transformation scene and Aaalma doluma song...
    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs."

Post Thanks / Like
    On Nataraj theatre for Soori comedy people are laughing ....i don't know why comedy now working with family crowd and not with fans & critic for first day ..
    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs."

Senior Member Regular Hubber srimal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soori solra aasham = awesome nu nethu thaan enakku purinjadhu..

Ennamo.. Some people do like this kind of comedy

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched it finally. Lots of positives, but I guess Siva is trying to project Ajith more like Rajinikanth. Not sure how well this will go on the longer run, but it clearly seems to have worked from box office perspective.

Boat scene and pre-interval build up standout and ofcourse Thala stands out with his wild expressions and maniacal behavior.

I liked 2nd half better than first half. Scene where Ajith comes to pick up laxmi menon was awesome and gave me goose bumps.

Anirudh's Theri BGM was one of best buildup BGMs I have heard in a while, but otherwise very loud.

Siva clearly missed Santhanam comedy. santhanam would have worked wonders in this movie. Soori's comedy was very average. Infct mokkai

Overall I thought it was little bit of let down compared to Ajith's earlier movies YA and Veeram. May be the I expected too much based on online reviews and hype. The movie didn't have underlining current for beating up the villians to pulp. Ajith's reason for revenge kind of lacked the genuinity.

If you are Thala fan, this movie will be a cracker
    Neutral - Ok for one time watch
    Ajith Hater - You cannot put up with this.
    Ajde Nole!

13. Likes uruzalari liked this post
Page 76 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast