Thread: Endrendrum Thalaivar Superstar Rajinikanth - News & Updates

Threaded View

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Archangel of the Estate

After the dropped film projet 'Jilla' Collector (nothing controversial about the movie being canned, Rajini was impressed with 'Chinna' Goundar and wished to do a similar movie. Udhayakumar who made 'Chinna' Goundar and was to make 'Jilla' Collector with Rajini, but directed Yejaman instead) ... so, after the dropped projet 'Jilla' Collector, a Rajini film is titled after a physical location, and it’s the first for a Rajini Film Title.

Petta (a colloquial way of addressing ‘Pettai’ in Tamil Language) is an estate. Not an area, or village or town. It is bigger than an area but relatively smaller than a town or village. The origin of a Petta existed even before the colonial India. Less populated, a Petta has a principle building surrounded by housings, religious establishments and social structures like schools, hotels, hostels and clinics. Either in the estate or just at its outskirts, there will be a job provisioning depot. During industrial era, that boomed late in India, these lands were addressed as Industrial Estates.

Petta title is a 'cult' Rajini film title. Even though it is a single word title (Rajini brought forward single word title as its catchy & easy to remember for a layman; his last multi letter title was Nattuku oru Nallavan (1991)), Petta breaks the long list of proper names (as in character name) for a Rajini film, and enters in the league along with titles like Enthiran (2010) that broke the Proper Name streak (Veera, Baasha, Muthu, Arunachalam, Padayappa, Baba). Gayathri (1977), Priya (1978), Bhairavi (1978), Valli (1993) & Chadramukhi (2005) are other exceptions in Rajini Film Titles, which deal with the female lead proper names. Peeta also kind of kills the recent 'K' attachement to a Rajini Title (Kuselan, Kochadaiiyaan, Kabali, Kaala).

Petta title sounds exactly how Rajini would pronounce the word ... followed by his original mannerisms - smile and winking at the audience. By this, I can confidently say Karthik is a rooted Rajini fan, just like myself.

The archangel in the poster is Rajini himself. The coloured glass windows of the church that form the backdrop serves as his wings. There is a similar poster for the film Constantine (2005), where Keanu Reeves is seen caring a 'Holy Shotgun' marching towards the viewers. Even though the atmosphere (replacing the dark shades of grey with a colour palette in Petta) and the pose (a scarf replacing the tie and a vest taking over a neat costume of Constantine) seem identic, there is no resemblance between the two posters nor it can be considered as inspired or whatever word that fits the context.

Rajini, whose character name is still a suspense, carries a candelabrum (a holder for several candles). The interesting part are the burning candles - Lighting up the path. In the final stretch of the motion poster, where Rajini swings the candelabrum from right to left (in front of the viewer) - Archangel showing the light. The interior of the church is at chaos. A holy place being invaded, and then, appears the Chief Angel to stamp his authority over the evil - The evil has finally met its match.

Almost everyone would have noted the descriptive images flashing while announcing the names (keys of a church organ detaches for music composer / lighted candles appear for the banner / suspended desk accessories for script writer / etc.), what particularly interested me is the colour palette used in the (motion) poster. Without going too much technical about it (mentioning it for the people who wish to look beyond inside a movie poster), the usage of colour expresses an exploitation genre, like 'back to the 70s' style. I actually like the entire film and the filming of 'Hobo with a Shotgun' (2011) starring Rutger Hauer, and Petta motion poster just enhanced its colours. Of course, Grindhouse defunct effect is employed, a style rejuvenated by Quentin Tarantino for the modern-day audiences.

Few more technical: Apart from the colour palette, the arc effect is excellent capturing the mounted graphic decors. The zooms are punctual and the style of photography using focus modes are crisp while capturing (CGI) subject - a blurred long shot, one shot focus, godseye, closeup, full frame, etc. The processing of the special visual effects is done promptly to increase the authority of minute details in the images.

I don’t wish to speculate, but there is a century old church in Dehradun Uttarakhand – St. Francis of Assisi (St. Francis Catholic church standing since 1853 even after a massive earthquake). The history of the church is interesting, for those who wish to look into it.

John Woo, the visionary action stunt coordinator has an immense likeness towards church decors and white pigeons. His action blocks inside the church increases the 'adrenaline effect' among the viewers. He is also an ardent user of slo-mos, that enhance the 'heroic' attribute to the character indulged in the shootout inside the church. Even his sword fights in the film Red Cliff (2008) is choreographed with grace and style, of course with its own fair share of gore (as in art). Other church episodes that I like are in video games such as Resident Evil, Uncharted 3 (a huge awesome fight sequence) and few movies like Resident Evil, Constantine (one of my favourite super hero characters). I also like fights inside a cemetry, gives me a eerie thrill. Personally, I wait eagerly to watch Rajini doing spectacular stunts filled with style inside the church.

Rajini, once again, sets a subtle political message. The temple (church) is the society that is totally invaded by forces creating confusion and disorder. Rajini is a powerful angel that leads many other angels, who brings in the light to show the path to the lost, at the time, to burn the immoral and the wicked who create mayhem into ashes.

Rajini Petta is in a different league.

Petta - Hellfire
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India