Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamitabh | Maestro | Amitabh | Dhanush | Balki | P. C. Sreeram

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber svaisn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    I guess almost is the key word here. In the first iteration of the pallavi, she could barely execute that Aaaaa vocalise. Her next attempts were better but still nowhere near the smoothness of the studio recording. Benefit of doubt: maybe she didn't get enough time to rehearse and/or there were problems with the equipment set up. Be that as it may, just going by this performance, NEPV launch performances seem to have been a much better advertisement of the album.
    What was the point in doing a grand audio release... and not using his music wise in the movie..Hope Balki doesn't disappoint in the way the music is utilized...
    Anyday a super hit movie with the music would be better than the Audio-Gala celebration...
    Karthik -Happy Illa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svaisn View Post
    What was the point in doing a grand audio release... and not using his music wise in the movie..Hope Balki doesn't disappoint in the way the music is utilized...
    Anyday a super hit movie with the music would be better than the Audio-Gala celebration...
    I don't disagree with that. Just saying that if the music launch was supposed to help create interest in the music and, consequently, the film, I am not sure that purpose is served with such shoddy performances. And Monteiro has done some great live jazz singing, which I am listening to as I write, so it is safe to say that not enough preparation went into the launch and it may well have been a last minute mess up. I hope Balki understands that musical performances, unlike ad events, cannot be put together impromptu without the risk of reputation loss.
    Last edited by crimson king; 24th January 2015 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post
    IMHO, after listening to Ghibran and Santosh Narayanan's output in recent years, IR's recording still sounds outdated - not on par with those of other younger guys around - maybe its coz the others dont have such intricate/complex strings arrangement as IR does in his compositions, so theirs are easier to mix - am not an audio engineer.

Actually, it sounds just fine on CD. A somebody else said, maybe the youtube mix was mono and that can't do justice to IR's intricate compositions. Gaana.com mix may have been low bitrate, idk. NEPV also sounded dense on youtube samples but was fine on CD. Also, it's a larger 'music philosophical' question whether one wants the music to sound dynamic and alive or whether one just wants clear, well separated sounds. IR usually gets the former right, which most other composers today don't seem to attach much importance to. Personally, I also would like the music to be recorded such that the varying intensity draws me in and throws me back in turns. I don't usually get that quality anymore in film music because it's so robotic in its finish but IR almost always seems to evoke that reaction.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Balki is being very very silly - he is just not articulate or knowledgeable enough to speak about IR's genius.

the Shamitabh audio release function was an absolute damp squib - that was not how IR's genius ought to have been showcased to the mumbai film industry.

I expected the Mumbai orchestra guys who played IR's many intricate compositions (Sadma, Thoongathey thambi thoongadhey, thalapathy) to have been invited, and given the chance to share their experiences.

Instead Bappida, Anu Malik - EKSI.

neither Amitabh (despite his very dignified presence) nor Rajini seemed to have even remotely grasped what IR has done in their own films - Kamal repeated the Hey Ram story ad nauseam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post
    Balki is being very very silly - he is just not articulate or knowledgeable enough to speak about IR's genius.

the Shamitabh audio release function was an absolute damp squib - that was not how IR's genius ought to have been showcased to the mumbai film industry.

I expected the Mumbai orchestra guys who played IR's many intricate compositions (Sadma, Thoongathey thambi thoongadhey, thalapathy) to have been invited, and given the chance to share their experiences.

Instead Bappida, Anu Malik - EKSI.

neither Amitabh (despite his very dignified presence) nor Rajini seemed to have even remotely grasped what IR has done in their own films - Kamal repeated the Hey Ram story ad nauseam!
    In fact, I find other than the musicians (like Prabhakar, Napoleon) and SPB, most of them don't have anything interesting to say. AB repeated the same story in his interview about how IR resonates purity, etc.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buggle View Post
    Looks like SJ, Lata ji all missing....
    Some reason why Lata did not participate...

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news...a%27s-function

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sivasub View Post
    Some reason why Lata did not participate...

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news...a%27s-function

very generous of AB to do this despite not having worked extensively with IR.

there ought to have been a function in Chennai to commemorate the occasion - not just some stale praise but something musical like a workshop - I guess India is far from doing such things and IR himself is eccentric enough for ppl to be scared of suggesting something like this to him!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    There was sort of a workshop like arrangement in the behind the scenes chat between IR and the musicians for the Malaysia show. Some of the insights were fantastic...like IR's rather anti climactic revelation that the charanam of Poove Ilaya poove was based on a thalaatu his mother used to sing for him and not a conscious effort at Western-Carnatic fusion. But you'd need musicians of a certain stature to hold that discussion without IR wanting to throw them out out of irritation at their question (he was pretty close to that stage when Anita asked if SJ improvised the Nila Kayudhu vocalise of her own ).

Post Thanks / Like
    nila kayuthu, ponmeni uruguthey, meendum meendum vaa - all of them had some vivagaaramaana SJ sounds - I don't see whats wrong in asking IR abt them - though its fairly obvious those sounds could not have been SJ's own additions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just that he seems to be bewildered at the very thought that it was not he who told SJ how and what to sing. It may be a reasonable question to pose to a normal person but we can safely say he is not. It's not just IR, usually such workshop type discussions with genius artists don't work unless they are conversing with other artists of a certain wavelength. And then, how much appeal to the public at large would such a convo hold. I think it was probably VH1 that did a "making of" series for classic albums. Stevie Wonder didn't have much to say about Songs in the Key of Life whereas the more calculating and workman-like Donald Fagen and Walter Becker shared a lot more about Aja. IR doesn't sweat the mundane stuff and his answers may perhaps make his methods appear too facile to whet the appetite that the audience has for myth making. He said about Ammavai Azhaikaadha that P Vasu wanted a song similar to Janani Janani for the film and he got it. From the media's point of view, a phoney answer about IR recollecting his mom and shedding copious tears would work better but he doesn't come across as someone with the patience for that game.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast