Thread: Economic Exploitation and the Drain of Wealth during British “Raj"

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Economic Exploitation and the Drain of Wealth during British “Raj"

I recently read a biography of an 18th century British politician and the name of Warren Hastings came up. I am close to 80 years of age and was educated in a period where expressions such as "the white mans burden were used and the only history of India that came up in class was about people such as Clive of India. Luckily my father was an antidote to such racist nonsense so I have always recognised the exploitive nature of the British rule of India. At 80 years of age I may have left it rather late but I am now looking for some reading matter on the Economic Exploitation and the Drain of Wealth during British “Raj”. Can anyone offer some advice as to a reading list?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try googling: books that describe the ravaging effects of British raj in India.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BML View Post
    I recently read a biography of an 18th century British politician and the name of Warren Hastings came up. I am close to 80 years of age and was educated in a period where expressions such as "the white mans burden were used and the only history of India that came up in class was about people such as Clive of India. Luckily my father was an antidote to such racist nonsense so I have always recognised the exploitive nature of the British rule of India. At 80 years of age I may have left it rather late but I am now looking for some reading matter on the Economic Exploitation and the Drain of Wealth during British “Raj”. Can anyone offer some advice as to a reading list?
    Its never too late to explore ocean of knowledge. Few books which helped me understand how mis-informed we are/were , when it comes to India and her struggle for freedom.

1) Freedom at Midnight
    2) Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India
    3) India Under British Rule From The Foundation Of the East India Company
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..