Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Velan's Cuisine Extraordinaire

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dalcha Rice

Heat some ghee and fry cinnamon (karuvaapattai) till it turns black. Add star anise (laungapoo) to the ghee and once its roasted add cloves and cardamom.
    Immediately add sliced onions and continue frying. At this stage, add pandan leaves.
    Add ginger-garlic paste next. Add chopped tomatoes and sliced red chilly (cut lengthwise).
    Once tomato is mushy, switch off the stove.
    Now add this to the Basmati rice and add coconut milk (ratio: 1.5 liquid to 1 rice) and salt.
    Cook in rice cooker. Whilst it's cooking do not stir more than once.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. Thanks dks0709, mappi thanked for this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    These leafy vegetables need minimum cook time.

Yes, Xiao Pak Choi was more cooked. Actually, I was not expecting that it would get cooked so fast. Next time I should be more careful after adding the leaves part, I still have 6 Pak Choi in the lot.

Here is Paal Kesari. Had it as desert after the main dinner dish Chapathi + Kurma.
    Personel preference : I liked them luke warm. Heated them 10s in the micro-oven. But serving them cold is also great.

The measures I used - 1/2 cup Rava, 1 & 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 cup suger

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mappi; 12th October 2014 at 11:19 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

5. Likes NOV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nov,

'Dalcha Rice' pakathula irrukira side-dish recipe poduvinga-nu ninnaikirein. Plus the broccoli one also. Thanks.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

7. Likes NOV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karthik, I got to hand it to you... your paal kesari looks absolutely delicious
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mappi View Post
    'Dalcha Rice' pakathula irrukira side-dish recipe poduvinga-nu ninnaikirein. Plus the broccoli one also. Thanks.
    That's Chicken Curry, Malaysian Indian style

Heat some oil and fry cinnamon (karuvaapattai) till it turns black. Add star anise (laungapoo) to the ghee and once its roasted add cloves and cardamom.
    Immediately add sliced onions and curry leaves and continue frying. Add ginger-garlic paste next and give it a quick stir.
    Add chicken pieces and stir till coated nicely. Cover and let it cook in its own juices, in a slow flame.
    In 5-10 mins, add water. Then add the following one after another - tomato, potato, red chilly, coriander leaves and more sliced onions.
    Bring to boil and then cover to continue cooking.
    When chicken and potatoes are half cooked, add some turmeric powder, chilly powder and chicken masala powder (Babas, if you can get).
    Add hot water at this stage if you want more curry. Stir nicely and continue cooking.
    Finally add salt to taste.

For broccoli, I use the same method as for mixed vege above, with just garlic, onion, red chilly slices and salt.
    We prefer vegetables to be under-cooked so that they retain their crunchiness and obviously, healthier too.

Tip 1 - use plenty of garlic slices. Do not burn the garlic or it will taste bitter.
    Tip 2 - add a little sugar if you want the vegetables to retain their color.
    Tip 3- Use only little water. Use a cover and let the vegetable cook in their own steam.

10. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chef,

Please add these in my (our) request list :

1/ pok choy (chinese green vege)
    2/ milk kesari

Saturday shopping panna vasathiya irrukum.
    http://eugeniekitchen.com/sauteed-bokchoy/
    we have tried this recipe so many times and we love it.
    Sautéed Bok Choy Recipe

For 2 persons
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep time: 5 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 minutes

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon ginger, freshly minced
    1 1/2 pounds bok choy, washed (600g)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    Toasted sesame seeds, freshly ground pepper & salt, to serve
    Directions

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.

Meanwhile cut the bok choy on the bias. Add in the bok choy and soy sauce and cook stirring for 3 minutes, or until greens are wilted and stalks are crisp-tender.

Serve immediately when warm with toasted sesame seeds, black pepper, and salt.
    இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

12. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mexicomeat,

The next try is with Soya Sauce.

Nov,

We prefer vegetables to be under-cooked so that they retain their crunchiness and obviously, healthier too.

Tip 1 - use plenty of garlic slices. Do not burn the garlic or it will taste bitter.
    Tip 2 - add a little sugar if you want the vegetables to retain their color.
    Tip 3- Use only little water. Use a cover and let the vegetable cook in their own steam.
    Noted.

That's Chicken Curry, Malaysian Indian style
    The chicken recipe is something of a wonder to me. The steps are totally in reverse with how I actually cook them. I will certainly try this out. And we don't get Baba or Lingam here. Have to settle down with what the Asian shop-keeper imports (LoL). But the products he proposes are quite nice too.

Just need a tip for chicken : Is there a way/method to keep the meat soft ? Most of the time, the meat gets harder when I try to make a gravy with it. I don't know whether they are getting over cooker or ... am missing something ?
    Last edited by mappi; 13th October 2014 at 03:29 PM.

14. Likes NOV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hesitate to use Soy Sauce in this case, because:

1. it won't complement Indian curries.
    2. it will darken the dish. I use a pinch of sugar and salt to retain the original color.

As for the chicken curry, yes, those days we would fry the wet masala in oil before adding the meat.
    But do try this method.

One of the main reasons for hard meat is because the meat is not fresh and has been frozen for too long.
    If possible, get your butcher to slaughter you fresh meat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I made crab curry and poochanga, which created quite a stir on my FB. Haha.
    So, here is the recipe:

Poochanga

Deskin and cut peerkangkaai (ridge gourd or petola in Malay) and boil it.

In a pan fry mustard seed, sliced onion, garlic, curry leaves and red chilly with some oil.

Add the cooked gourd. Add salt.

Beat an egg and add to the mixture.

Scoop out once the dish is almost dry.

Goes well with white rice, capathi or bread.

17. Thanks dks0709 thanked for this post
    Likes dks0709 liked this post
    Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way/method to keep the meat soft ?
    yes - rub salt on the chicken, add half teaspoon of vinegar, little bit of water and keep it aside for 20 min.

drain water and add chicken it to your recipe.

i have tried and tested this so many times.
    இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

19. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast