Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Velan's Cuisine Extraordinaire

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aiyo eodi super super recipes sa potu kolrengale. i am still in mostly pathiya samaiyal if i change that diet my baby girl becomes gaasy. Hubby will be so happy to eat that puffs. Often I do come to the forum to refer to K recipes. I go no where my first search is still this forum. But I have so much to try new recipes which I dying to try.

4. Likes NOV liked this post
    Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post

I just want to share my recipes before I leave this world, so that they are not lost forever.
    recipes kandipa share pannunga since u all r great cooks but Please anna enn epdi solrenga .

6. Likes NOV liked this post
    Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chef,

Weekend nearing, I am free. What's cooking ?
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sangeethabalaji View Post
    recipes kandipa share pannunga since u all r great cooks but Please anna enn epdi solrenga .
    idhu vaazhkkaiyin niyadhimaa
    I realised this especially after the passing of my mother.

Karthik, next recipe is specially for you!
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like

Roti Jala (Valai thosai or Lacy pancakes)

Roti jala is a popular breakfast in the rural parts of Malaysia, mostly in Malay homes. A very simple dish to make, it is eaten with leftover curries, especially chicken curry. These days, people make them fresh though.
    Those days, they would just use their fingers to scoop up the batter and design on the pan, but now, you would need the roti jala achu to make this. But you can also make your own - (use an empty can and puncture large holes in it)

Dilute coconut milk with water and then beat a couple of eggs and add to the milk.
    Add white flour little by little, stirring constantly. You need a runny consistency (thinner than thosai batter)
    Add yellow coloring and salt to taste.
    Leave it to rest for 30 mins or so.
    Strain the batter and add more water/milk if necessary.

Oil a pan lightly. Using the achu spread the batter in quick small circles like in the pic above.
    Allow it to cook over medium heat and then cook on the other side.
    Fold it, and continue with the remaining batter.
    Enjoy!

10. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas! Ho Ho Ho!

12. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Likes aanaa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    coming up next: Coconut Candy

14. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had guests for this weekend, Roti Jala preparation postponed. Here is what I prepared for tea-time, and I like to call it Hazlenut & Almond Tiny Cakes. Preparation time less than 30 minutes and an instant hit amoung coffee-time guests.

125 gms Hazlenut powder
    75 gms Almond powder
    90 gms sugar (ice sugar actually, very thin powdered sugar)
    1 egg white
    1/2 tsp Almond essence (more or less according to your taste)

1/ First thing first, mix well the egg white with the almond essence. Just Michael Jackson it, I mean Beat it.

2/ Here is the tricky part - take the powders seperately and grind them more so that the powder becomes smooth. There should not be crumbs (kora kora nu irruka kudathu, talcum powser mari smooth-a irrukanum).

3/ Once the powders are nice & fine, mix them all together with 80 gms sugar & beaten egg white

4/ Sprinkle the remaining ice sugar in a plate. Take a tsp of the batter and roll it into a tiny ball. Introduce it in the plate with ice sugar, shake it to get rid of the excess sugar, and put the cake on a oven plate floored with baking parchment paper (cooking paper or bakery release paper).

- Optional : You can decorate the top of the cake with a tiny piece of candied orange peel.

5/ Heat the oven at 180 °C (th 6)

6 / Put the oven plate in the oven for 8 minutes to get smooth soft cakes, or for 12 minutes to get crispy ones.

Goes well with Coffee/Tea w/wo sugar.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mappi; 22nd December 2014 at 04:57 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

16. Likes NOV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coconut Candy

Ingredients (A)
    115ml evaporated milk(4oz tin)
    2 tbsp condensed milk
    325g granulated sugar
    375g grated coconut

Ingredients (B)
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    1 tsp butter
    A few drops food colouring

Method

Combine ingredients (A) in a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over a very low heat until sugar has dissolved completely.
    Stir in grated coconut and cook until almost dry, about 30 minutes.

Remove saucepan from heat, add essence and butter, and mix well to blend.
    Divide into three portions and add a few drops of different colouring to each portion. Grease three trays lightly with corn oil and fill with coloured portions.

Press candy down firmly with a clean piece of plastic wrap, then set aside to cool slightly.

Turn candy out and cut before it dries completely and hardens.

18. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast