Page 12 of 274 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevalier Dr. Kamal Haasanin Mayyam - Part 9

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hattori_hanzo View Post
    Soora Samharam and Sattam were both flops. They were both really bad movies. SS at least had a nice first half. Till the scene were Kamal gets drugged and sent back home, the movie was quite different. From there, it turned worse. Especially "Vedhaalam Vandhu nikkudhu" song.
    Sattam was Mattam(Comment in Ananda Vikadan review) from beginning to end.

Kurudhippunal was/is/will be a classic forever. Yet another example of "Kombinil paal konjam surandhaal Adhu dhaan saadhanai"

Drohkaal directed by Govind Nihalani was Ashish Vidyarthi's first movie. Om Puri played Kamal's role, Naseeruddin Shah played Arjun's and Ashish did the villain's role which was done by Nazar in Tamil. It was critically acclaimed but did very poor business. With a star cast like this it was dissed an art movie. Kamal apparently was interested in the script and bought the rights from Govind Nihalani to make it in Tamil. He was sure of making a successful movie without any songs, comedy track or duets, debut MD, many unknown faces, Telugu lip-sync(It was made in Telugu and Tamil). It was released along with Muthu on Diwali 2006. Muthu directed by K.S.Ravikumar(fresh after the success of Naattaamai) had Rajinikanth in two roles, Meena who was the top heroine of those days, A.R.Rahman whose songs were already chartbusters, several supporting actors including Raghuvaran, Radharavi, Ponnambalam, Vadivelu, Senthil and others - a complete masala movie.

Still Kuruthippunal gave a tough fight & managed to open very well in all centers. It ran for more than 100 days in many theatres. I watched it on the 3rd day in AVM by paying Rs.150 for a Rs.25 ticket. In a suburban theatre like Tambaram (not sure if it was Vetri or Rakesh; Muthu ran in Vidhya), KP ran for 80 days. For the first three weeks, it shared the No.1 spot with Muthu in Sun TV's Top 10. In the fourth week, it went to No.2 and slowly came down. Muthu was in No.1 for few more weeks & obviously had a better run. But KP which probably was made in less than 1/2 of Muthu's budget was a Super-hit. KP's Telugu version Drohi was an even bigger hit.
    good analysis regarding Muthu vs Kuruthipunal ...you forget to tell about the enormous buzz at that time.......... Rajini's popularity was at an all time high for his political stand and even a kuselan or kochadaiyaan kind of movie from him at that time would have been a blockbuster
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soora Samharam
    - There are some really good stunt scenes. In one such scene, KH uses the 'T' word for the 2nd time(First time was in Vikram). I think the one in the receiving end was Ponnambalam.
    He has muttered the 'T' word way before in 'Aboorva Raagangal' when a car splashes a puddle of dirt on him. He gets bashed up and is taken care of SriVidya. There starts his 'Adhisaya Raagam' story

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

A nice interview with Write Balakumaran.
    He talked about his cinema profession too. (Watch from 26.30 to 33.43 specifically - he talked about Kamal and Rajini)

5. Likes oyivukac liked this post
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinemarasigan View Post
    According to me Kurudhi Punal stands out as a cop movie.. - Very intense as well

Vettaiyadu Vilaiyadu comes next - neat and suited Kamal very much.
    Agree!
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    i feel vetri vizha is his best cop movie because it is sleek, his costumes were excellent, songs fabulous, seat-edge story (borne identity) and above all it is a feel good movie. after kuridhipunal climax, the next word from mouths of all us friends was "has it really happened"? couldnt sleep that night.

Post Thanks / Like
    vikram-police agent not in uniform

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmai Vilambi View Post
    vikram-police agent not in uniform
    வெற்றிவிழாவும்தான்!
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsubras View Post
    good analysis regarding Muthu vs Kuruthipunal ...you forget to tell about the enormous buzz at that time.......... Rajini's popularity was at an all time high for his political stand and even a kuselan or kochadaiyaan kind of movie from him at that time would have been a blockbuster
    i remember Ananda vikatan issued 3 books for that diwali & one had cover of Rajini - kuluvalile song
    oruvan oruvan, thillana thillana songs were massive hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Soora Samharam

- Two excellent songs - Naan Enbadhu and Neela Kuyile both sung by Arun Mozhi and one by Mano - Vedhaalam.
    aadum neram idhuthan idhuthan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sattam was Mattam(Comment in Ananda Vikadan review) from beginning to end.
    is sattam a hindi remake? Balaji usually does that with Rajini

sometimes i confuse sattam with savaal..
    savaal is another mokkai.. but when i saw some 20 yrs ago in Doordharsan.. i enjoyed manorama's burma pappa climax fight