Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Kanmani: Maniratnam-ARRahman-PC Sreeram

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    isnt live sound suppose to be clear? English film are shot live rite?
    Mahen,

We are getting into analysis, which is very difficult for me to be short, but I will try my best.

Sounds can be anything - dialogues or a noise or Music - and going live is not only to be clear, but to create a realistic environment by capturing (or re-producing) the sound events as a wholesome sound bubble and enveloppe the audience inside it to make them experience the moment. Sound can be written. Yes, a film maker who knows what he is doing includes sound in his script. Its nothing to do with the MD & his BGM score, but purely an end-to-end cover of his imagined scene. Take for exemple, the temple scene in Thalapathi where Rajini and Sujatha turn to the sound of the goods-train whistle. Or the way Subbu runs up and down the stairs all the while her 'Golusu' rythms her happiness. It depends on the film maker, how convincingly he adpats paper (script) medium into motion (film) medium.

Loudness is entirely different from Sound. And that is entirely a different topic. Talking about English film/Live sounds :

"
    The boom operator's job is to clearly record the dialogue, and only the dialogue. Going for live sound, every noise is captured including the disturbances in the indoor shooting spot or traffic noise during the outdoor. During post production the same ambience is created and added to the original dialogue bits making it look quite real and live. These needed noises are created by engineers in a lab with the mediums which are the originators of these desired sounds. An average audience member may not take note of every detailing, but they will notice an indefinable realism and professionalism to the film that sets it apart from the others.
    "

On the other hand, the major drawback that we cannot use the recorded live sounds entirely into a film is due to editing. Editing cuts the footage into meaningful sequences, thus, there are lot of missing noise particles and lose of continuity. Apart from the sound engineering on the sets, they team up in a studio, re-record these noises over the full cut film.

Also, the sound is similar to cinemotography while it comes to cover a moving or static element. It also depends on the POV - First person or Third person, location - indoor or outdoor : Here an indoor is quite complicated as the outdoor. Imagine 2 people sitting and talking in a room with open window. The sound also changes whether its an urban or rural or industrial or natural setup. It gets even more complicated in 'indoor-outdoor' suituation, for eg., while driving a vehicle - sounds heard from a car is different from a truck, is different from an auto-car with wide glass windows which are comanded by the outdoor scenary - city drive, highway, hills etc. In a Live Sound scenario, all these are considered, filmed, sounds recorded live, film edited, sounds re-recorded (enhanced or sometimes re-produced) - just to give the audience ample experience. BGM/ added musical bits are yet another huge topic.

Last month in a film festival, I was very much interested to know how they pulled 2 shots sequenced together with a jumpcut, and the sound setup was extra-ordinary. I asked the film maker how they did it. He explained to me some fabulous techincs on my favorite field - editing - and how they recorded the sound and pre-prepared it for the editing which was already deceided that it should be like that. Just a scene which is less that 10 seconds, these guys had not only spent time, but a whole lot of imagination and new ideas. There is an Palestinian Film - Omar - and in it the whole market place chase sequence is one of the best Live Sound experience I had.

There is much more to it, but I end here by giving you this term, if you are interested to know about Dubbing - ADR: Additional Dialogue Recording. This should allow you to come at a full circle and depending on your interest you can explore more.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Blog

https://balakarthiga26.wordpress.com...adhal-kanmani/

SIX REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT WATCH O KADHAL KANMANI

No matter which direction I turn, all that I see now are girls who want to have Dulquer’s babies and boys who would kill to have a live in with Nithya.
    So, obviously, here are six reasons as to why you should NOT watch Ok Kanmani.

1. The Female Protagonist.

Tara has guts. She’s fearless and ambitious. Now why would we want to see such a confident and self-motivated girl on screen? I mean, we could’ve had the typical dumb glam-doll we see in all Kollywood movies. You know, the girl who just sings, dances, flashes smiles at the camera and has nothing to contribute to the screenplay except her glamour quotient.

I mean, she’s absolutely fearless. She refuses to budge, be it her mother or her friend who proposes to her, or her girlfriends or even if it’s Aadhi, she refuses t step down from her standards.

The questions she asks are daringly sensible. For example, when Aadhi’s sister-in-law threatens her to marry him and accuses of her moral and values she says ‘Idha neenga Aadhi kittayum ketrukalam’ or when she says ‘Marriage enna certificate ah’ we see her as a strongly opinionated and sometimes, much more heroic than Dulquer himself.

Now, why would we want to watch such a painfully confident girl?

2. It’s Fresh Plot.

So, here’s the one liner of the film : Two young professionals, a game designer and an architect, dcide that they do not agree with principles of marriage and commitment, decide to live in together, under the shadow of an elderly couple, Ganapathy Uncle and Bhavani Aunty. They later fall for each other and decide to marry.Everything about this plot, is fresh and new.

Interestingly though, Ok Kanmani is Alaipayuthe in reverse. Karthik and Shakthi marry, fall in love,live together and have those annoying little fights driving a wedge between them. Tara and Aadhi, however do it all in reverse. They meet, decide to live together, have those little fights, fall in love and finally get married.

Wow.

We could’ve easily gone back to the old stereotyped commercial flick, where the hero swings a huge helicopter single handedly, abducts the girl from her wedding and dances to an item song when the city is on fire. That would’ve been really comfortable to watch. Just saying.

3. Aadhitya Varadharajan

The hero is just as interesting as Tara. I mean, he is not the usual jobless rogue we see in a usual tamil flick. He is a professional who has responsibility. He doesn’t cuss around or blame the society. He is also a very practical young person. He doesn’t let romance blind him. He doesn’t stereotype women. He respects his girlfriend Tara just as much as he respects his Sister-in-law or his elderly landlady with Alzheimer’s or his little niece.

The nerve! Why would we want to see something so sensible and nice?

4. Bhavani Aunty and Ganapathy Uncle.

They are, probably the pair that lifts up the romance quotient of the entire movie. Bhavani Aunty, is a darling. She’s not the stereotyped moral police we see old people to be. She’s open minded and is adorable when she calls her husband outdated and approves of the Live-In relationship in her apartment.

That’s just pushing it. Definitely not worth a watch.

So, on a personal note, here’s a little wish I have. I really hope they make Ok Kanmani Part Two and give us more of Bhavani Aunty and Ganapathy Uncle! Please Please Please!

5. A.R.Rahman and P.C.Sreeram:

One my friends rightly said, ‘After forty-five minutes, it’s a competition between Mani Ratnam, Rahman and PC Sreeram to outdo the others!’

Why would anyone want to have a treat to their eyes, ears and intellect, at the same time? Huh?

6. The movie has class:

You’ll see that the movie has nothing that’s other than super-classy. You have a neatly dressed female protagonist. You have the hero who doesn’t swear or write songs, degrading and cursing women. You don’t hear cheap abusive language. We don’t have a group of lets-get-drunk-and-dance-in-the-streets guys. So tell me, why would we really want to watch it? we don’t seem to be getting much out of this, are we?

And Yes!!

They do sleep together before getting married.

There, I said it!

It annoys me how people dwell on that one fact and blindly decide to hate a brilliant movie, that’s sheer excellence in every domain it touches. You have the best of everything. O Kadhal Kanmani is a complete package, but only for the audience that it’s targeted at.

This is definitely not for the narrow minded judgmental Indian.

But it’s definitely a treat for people like Bhavani Aunty, people who keep pace with the changing trends and accept the younger generation just the way they are, instead of scrutinizing them.

XOXO,

Bala.

P.S: If you liked this review, don’t forget to share it with your freinds, and do check out my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/balakarthiga.m
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

5. Likes raagadevan liked this post
    Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mappi View Post
    Mahen,

We are getting into analysis, which is very difficult for me to be short, but I will try my best.

Sounds can be anything - dialogues or a noise or Music - and going live is not only to be clear, but to create a realistic environment by capturing (or re-producing) the sound events as a wholesome sound bubble and enveloppe the audience inside it to make them experience the moment. Sound can be written. Yes, a film maker who knows what he is doing includes sound in his script. Its nothing to do with the MD & his BGM score, but purely an end-to-end cover of his imagined scene. Take for exemple, the temple scene in Thalapathi where Rajini and Sujatha turn to the sound of the goods-train whistle. Or the way Subbu runs up and down the stairs all the while her 'Golusu' rythms her happiness. It depends on the film maker, how convincingly he adpats paper (script) medium into motion (film) medium.

Loudness is entirely different from Sound. And that is entirely a different topic. Talking about English film/Live sounds :

"
    The boom operator's job is to clearly record the dialogue, and only the dialogue. Going for live sound, every noise is captured including the disturbances in the indoor shooting spot or traffic noise during the outdoor. During post production the same ambience is created and added to the original dialogue bits making it look quite real and live. These needed noises are created by engineers in a lab with the mediums which are the originators of these desired sounds. An average audience member may not take note of every detailing, but they will notice an indefinable realism and professionalism to the film that sets it apart from the others.
    "

On the other hand, the major drawback that we cannot use the recorded live sounds entirely into a film is due to editing. Editing cuts the footage into meaningful sequences, thus, there are lot of missing noise particles and lose of continuity. Apart from the sound engineering on the sets, they team up in a studio, re-record these noises over the full cut film.

Also, the sound is similar to cinemotography while it comes to cover a moving or static element. It also depends on the POV - First person or Third person, location - indoor or outdoor : Here an indoor is quite complicated as the outdoor. Imagine 2 people sitting and talking in a room with open window. The sound also changes whether its an urban or rural or industrial or natural setup. It gets even more complicated in 'indoor-outdoor' suituation, for eg., while driving a vehicle - sounds heard from a car is different from a truck, is different from an auto-car with wide glass windows which are comanded by the outdoor scenary - city drive, highway, hills etc. In a Live Sound scenario, all these are considered, filmed, sounds recorded live, film edited, sounds re-recorded (enhanced or sometimes re-produced) - just to give the audience ample experience. BGM/ added musical bits are yet another huge topic.

Last month in a film festival, I was very much interested to know how they pulled 2 shots sequenced together with a jumpcut, and the sound setup was extra-ordinary. I asked the film maker how they did it. He explained to me some fabulous techincs on my favorite field - editing - and how they recorded the sound and pre-prepared it for the editing which was already deceided that it should be like that. Just a scene which is less that 10 seconds, these guys had not only spent time, but a whole lot of imagination and new ideas. There is an Palestinian Film - Omar - and in it the whole market place chase sequence is one of the best Live Sound experience I had.

There is much more to it, but I end here by giving you this term, if you are interested to know about Dubbing - ADR: Additional Dialogue Recording. This should allow you to come at a full circle and depending on your interest you can explore more.
    As usual mappi at his best..

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did MR really come back? Not sure yet..
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He missed the train..so planed to come this evening don't worry..

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maniratnam need hit very badly and he has done that very smartly by attracting the youth audience who were the people deciding the fate of the movie..
    He will be relaxed now and will be careful in approaching the next project..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by USV View Post
    Maniratnam need hit very badly and he has done that very smartly by attracting the youth audience who were the people deciding the fate of the movie..
    He will be relaxed now and will be careful in approaching the next project..
    200% agreed..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is on the verge of announcing his next project with Dhanush
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    He is on the verge of announcing his next project with Dhanush
    Virgin theriyum,Athena verge boss?

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast