Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Kanmani: Maniratnam-ARRahman-PC Sreeram

Senior Member Senior Hubber nickraman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by USV View Post
    Maniratnam need hit very badly and he has done that very smartly by attracting the youth audience who were the people deciding the fate of the movie..
    He will be relaxed now and will be careful in approaching the next project..
    Agreed. Glad he went back to basics. I didnt enjoy his films post Guru as much.

Hope his next with Dhanush is as good as this.
    "aaj ka mera hey, kalka thera hey, side-dish pagoda hey, ye hey life hey"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    #OKKanmani $520,084 crosses #YennaiArindhaal to bcom #9 alltime in USA & #2 in 2015 after I. Weekday crowd is great! Xpect a strong 2nd wknd

Massss

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nickraman View Post
    Agreed. Glad he went back to basics. I didnt enjoy his films post Guru as much.

Hope his next with Dhanush is as good as this.
    Sir,nenga padam pathacha?

Post Thanks / Like
    Want 2 watch second time tomorrow.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Take on "O Kadhal Kanmani’s" Soundtrack usage in The Film.
    In recent times or so the utilisation of Songs projected in Indian Movies has somewhat been relegated and it seems the days are gone when there were lavish sets, extravagant dancing and most importantly lip-syncing.
    Many Indian cinema goers have opened their horizons and have started appreciating and accepting material that may mock traditional establishments or infringe upon Taboo matters hence some Films can do without songs in the foreground but if a Movie promotes itself extensively on the basis of its soundtrack then its Music content should definitely be given proper treatment on screen.
    What is proper treatment? The Mood of a song must be taken into consideration and then whether it need be shot in exotic locations or rich and vibrant sets, etc. is a different story e.g. as much as a Romantic Duet deserves to be sung on screen, hearing it as Background Music (BGM) seems awkward and this may be unfair treatment towards its sound and worth(?)
    I'm personally One of the Biggest sceptics regarding this case and occasionally dissent with people who don't mind favouring Songs used as BGM. I don’t exactly vehemently oppose this concept but don’t personally find the logic behind it being rational.
    With the exception of “I” many recent projects of A.R. Rahman (ARR) have had his material relegated to BGM, some of these Songs are Completely Earth Shattering and due to lack of TV/Radio airing promotion/videos their longevity is tampered for the average listener but fortunately there are many who purposely don’t dwell on these ‘minor’ facets and love the songs equally as if it were lip-synced and so forth.
    ARR recently expressed unhappiness over this issue and showed desire to accept offers focusing on Musical stories whereby Actors can Sing on screen allowing his creativity to have a more prominent outlet.
    ARR and Mani Ratnam have worked on Twelve Projects till now and their recent collaboration O Kadhal Kanmani (OKK) is definitely the least Intense from their respective repertoire. When initial promos started airing the Film gave a light and airy aura to this Romantic story involving late teens cum early adults. I personally approached this project with Zilch expectations as I’m not one for these sorts of fluffy urban stories.
    When the single ‘Mental Manadhil’ released I honestly did not know what to make of it but second time round I closed my eyes and was transported to many Outgoing Social events where the fun factor and duration flew by in no time and as a parallel the Song had finished too before I knew it. I felt I spoke to soon but deep in me there is a “Never Doubt Rahman Ji” Loyalty Seal and this is not a result of repeated listening to songs to appreciate them more but rather a Natural Instinct that is Uncontrollable. Whilst listening to this song I felt this song can only be justified on screen over a montage of social activities involving friends or platonic dating i.e. shopping, leisure, fun fairs, clubbing, bars, restaurants, etc. all in the vicinity of a metropolitan lifestyle. When the song’s teaser video released my satisfaction over my prediction came with much joy.
    After this song came the Album’s impressive track list and without much delay arrived the Full OST. Breezy, Sensual, Pulsating and Rich were the definitions I concluded from the soundtrack and bearing in mind I didn’t have any expectations I couldn’t help but give it a Thumbs Up verdict straight away. Conversely I started being doubtful of treatment the songs would receive in the Film but the creativity in music occupied me as a listener thus disabling me to ponder this aspect.
    The Film released and was greeted with unanimous positivity, there were people who wanted to go and still are going for repeated viewings and alas I was tempted to watch a project which I wasn’t concerned about as a viewer but only as listener...
    Without giving much away, Yes, the film uses the songs as BGM with the exception of one or two. ARR and his band of KMMC musicians, 'Qutb-e-Kripa’ handle the background score department. Other then the songs themselves there is extensive use of Dub-Step in the background, probably being the first of a kind related to any ARR project and it’s definitely Jaw Dropping. The film regardless of issues and themes seems like a God Send for people like me, who are single and content and it’s films like these which hope to arouse passion in Non-lovers and Lovers alike. I’m certainly all praise for this film as it does a Solid job in trying to convince Non-believers of Love into Believers. Just like the soundtrack, the film boosts of numerous impactful parts, at some instances you will be stitches laughing from the belly and in others you will need to grab a tissue box to comfort your tears. Whatever the case, these scenes should inevitably sediment their way into you for the coming time.
    IMO the Film and Soundtrack could well have been unrelated and yet still be equally as popular and widely accepted but their respective marriage is Truly a Massive Bonus. Be it the use of Mental Manadhil as a Ringtone or a Party Athem, Maula Wa Salim complimenting the Magnificent and Outstanding architecture of the Sub-Continent or Paranthu Sella Vaa being a bridge from Infatuation to Love. Everything just falls into place flawlessly but beyond that there are those songs in the OST that have had a complete turn over in treatment to what one might have in mind when listening to it individually. A couple of light effervescent songs that one would expect to be present during the early days of dating arrive at some highly sensitive, emotional and intense junctures whereas some extravagantly layered songs have been placed during light hearted moments. This tactic has further given birth to more indecisiveness in coming that step closer in selecting my favourite song from the OST. Woah, the songs are even more haunting now!
    For me the Film is incomplete without the OST and Vice Versa and as a standalone they will always remain "OK" Kanmani but their merging has evolved them both together unitedly to what I will always address as "Super" Kanmani!
    Bravo, ARR-Mani, the Timless Classic Duo. From now on my perception of Songs used as BGM has as I believe changed forever and I've definitely become a Bigger Fan for Romantic Films but will anyone or even ARR-Mani pull off another project like this? I highly doubt it!
    Happy Listening!
    Sunil

7. Likes mappi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Double OK Kan-Mani - Part 1

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND View Post
    Double OK Kan-Mani - Part 1

Good!!..Thalaivar udhatta paatha nalla dum adipaar pola..

Senior Member Senior Hubber nickraman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND View Post
    Sir,nenga padam pathacha?
    Paathen. Pudichiten. Innoru thadavu paakunam pola.
    "aaj ka mera hey, kalka thera hey, side-dish pagoda hey, ye hey life hey"

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rachel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice simple film, except for the living together without serious commitment part.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From amitabh ji

Btw, surprisingly Shankar ji praised Kanchana but nothing abt OKK..guess he didnt like it
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

13. Likes raagadevan liked this post
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast