Junior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Meet Anand Kumar Bhowmick, a businessman and a cinema buff, who displays photos of actors and national leaders from his vast collection at his shop every day

“Inga paaru, MGR!” a passer-by stops in her tracks in front of B.K. Vasantha Plastics on Kasi Chetty street. MGR smiles from black-and-white photos displayed on a board by the shop — in police uniform, in white and white, in a king’s robes, with a chequered scarf, in his trademark cap and dark glasses…there are photos of him from movies such as Anbe Vaa, Kaaval Kaaran, Nadodi Mannan… We walk into the shop through a narrow pathway lined with plastic pots, bowls and mugs and into a tiny room where there are more photos on the walls — of Nehru, Kennedy, Indira Gandhi and Churchill. There are boxes with movie stills of actors Sivaji, Nagesh, ‘Gemini’ Ganesan, Jaishankar, Rajini and Kamal among others. There are over 1000 photos in the room alone. All of which belong to one man — Anand Kumar Bhowmick.

Anand has collected over 70,000 photos — of which 40,000 are from the world of movies. He has photos of important moments in history, including those of Gandhi (10,000), the World Wars (5,000) and his favourite leader Subhash Chandra Bose (2,000). Every day, for the past five years, he has been exhibiting them in front of his shop.

The 48-year-old is madly in love with cinema; MGR in particular. He started collecting photos ever since he saw MGR in 1977 on Anna Salai. MGR was leading a parade after he became Chief Minster. He was walking with his party’s flag. Anand, who was barely 12 years old then, swam across an ocean of men and women to see him. “Ayyo! naan semaya ‘upset’ agitten,” he says in typical Madras baashai — “I became very ‘upset’ (stirred)” He bribed a press photographer into giving him a photo of MGR. It was the first photo of his collection.

“I dropped out of college after the first year,” says Anand. “I loved watching movies. I stole money from my father’s kalla petti to go to the cinema.” Anand used a safety pin to pick the lock of the safe. One day, his father caught him in the act — he beat him black and blue. His reaction? “Nothing much,” laughs Anand. “I had a thick skin.”

Anand watched movies like one possessed. He was also interested in history and current affairs and started adding photos of national leaders to his album. He attended party meetings, visited libraries, homes of leaders such as Bose…Anand added photo after photo to his collection. He has some 20 suitcases of them at home.

Cinema has seeped into his every action — he mimics Rajini, Sivaji, MGR, breaks into a song and dance without inhibition. Anand themes the displays in front of his shop based on the importance of the day. “I display photos of leaders on their birthdays,” he explains. Of course, it’s MGR on all other occasions.

The man has watched every movie of the actor, some of them over 50 times. However, there’s one MGR movie he’s not watched and doesn’t want to — Madurai Veeran. “His limbs are cut off in the movie’s climax,” he says. “I can’t bear to watch it.”

Post Thanks / Like
    MGR comes to Srikanth’s rescue in Nambiyaar

Chennai: Perhaps taking a cue from Jyothika Suriya, yet another actor’s wife, who is well known in social circles, turns producer. This is none other than Vandhana Srikanth, wife of actor Srikanth, who is also popular in Tollywood as Sriram.

Vandhana’s maiden production under her home banner, Golden Friday Films, has been titled intriguingly as Nambiyaar. The fashion conscious Vandhana has also taken the onus of designing Srikanth’s clothes for the flick.

Nambiar was a yesteryear top villain who has shared screen space as a baddie with the iconic M.G.Ramachandran or MGR. The movie is directed by Ganesha, a former assistant to SS Rajamouli. While Srikanth plays the lead protagonist as the character Ramachandran, comedian Santhanam plays the title role of Nambiyaar. And the heroine Sunaina’s character is named Saroja. (It is to be noted that Saroja Devi and MGR were a hit pair during the late 1950s and 1960s).

Quiz Srikanth about whether the film has anything to do with late actors, MGR and Nambiar, and he says, “Yes, to a certain extent we are inspired by the reel life of the legendary actor Nambiar who is the most popular villain in south Indian cinema — though it doesn’t have anything to do with his real life personality.”

Sources say that in the climax, actor MGR saves the reel Ramachandran from Nambiar. “There’s an action sequence in the climax between Santhanam and me and actor MGR comes to my rescue. If you ask me how, I can’t reveal much at this point of time. You must watch the film,” he adds.

Post Thanks / Like

Junior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Yukesh Babu for completing 3000 valuable posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Junior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

deepaavali malars

புரட்சி தலைவர் இப்பூவுலகை விட்டு மறைந்து 27 ஆண்டுகள் ஆகின்றன. கலையுலகில் நடிப்பு தொழிலை விட்டு விலகி 37 ஆண்டுகள் ஆகும் நிலையில் கீழ்கண்ட தீபாவளி மலர்கள் -2014ல் மக்கள் தலைவர் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். பற்றிய செய்திகள் /புகைப்படங்கள் பிரசுரம் ஆகி வெளிவந்த வண்ணம் உள்ளன.

இவை மக்கள் திலகம் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். ரசிகர்களுக்கும், புரட்சி தலைவர் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். பக்தர்களுக்கும் பெருமைக்குரிய விஷயம் .

இதுவரை கலையுலகின் கலங்கரை விளக்கம், அரசியல் உலகின் ஒளி விளக்கு எம்.ஜி.ஆர். அவர்களை பற்றிய செய்திகள் /புகைப்படங்கள் வெளியிட்ட ஆனந்த விகடன் ,
    தினகரன், தி இந்து (தமிழ்), மாலை மலர் , தினமணி ஆகிய இதழ் ஆசிரியர்களுக்கு அனைத்து எம்.ஜி.ஆர். ரசிகர்கள்/பக்தர்கள் சார்பாக நன்றிகள் கோடி.!!!!!!!

ஆனந்த விகடன் - தீபாவளி மலர் 2014

Last edited by puratchi nadigar mgr; 23rd October 2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: not properly posted

10. Likes ainefal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    எதிர்மறை வார்த்தைகளைத் தவிர்ப்பது , எப்போதுமே நல்லது...!

சங்கே முழங்கு' படத்தில் , "நாலு பேருக்கு நன்றி..."-என்ற பாடலின் கடைசி சரணத்தில்..

"வாழும் போது வருவோர்க்கெல்லாம்
    வார்த்தையாலே நன்றி சொல்வோம்.
    போகும் போது வார்த்தை இல்லை...
    போகு முன்னே சொல்லி வைப்போம்..."..என்று முடித்திருந்தாராம் கண்ணதாசன் ..!

'போகும் முன்னே சொல்லி வைப்போம்..'என்ற வார்த்தையை கொஞ்சம் மாற்றலாமே... என்று எம்.ஜி.ஆர்..அபிப்பிராயப்பட்டாராம்..
    உடனே அந்த சரணத்தை..சிறு மாற்றங்களுடன்...

"வாழும் போது வருவோர்க்கெல்லாம்
    வார்த்தையாலே நன்றி சொல்வோம்..

வார்த்தை இன்றிப் போகும் போது
    மௌனத்தாலே நன்றி சொல்வோம்..."

என்று கண்ணதாசன் எழுதிக் கொடுக்க...எம்ஜியாரின் முகத்தில்...ஏகப்பட்ட திருப்தி...!

எதிர் மறை வார்த்தைகள் வருவதை , எப்போதுமே தவிர்ப்பது எம்ஜியாரின் வழக்கம் ..!
    அதைப் புரிந்து கொண்டு மாற்றிக் கொடுப்பது ..கண்ணதாசனின் வழக்கம்..!
    மறைந்த அந்த மாமேதைகளுக்கு ..மௌனத்தாலே நன்றி சொல்வோம்...!

Post Thanks / Like