View Poll Results: What makes VIJAY 58, an exciting prospect?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • GENRE: Vijay's first Fantasy Entertainer

20 66.67%
  • CAST: Presence of names such as Sridevi, Sudeep and Sruthi Haasan

3 10.00%
  • DIRECTOR: Chimbudevan, an off-beat director on-board

5 16.67%
  • REACH: Vijay's first movie made in more than one language

2 6.67%
Page 253 of 296 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 2956

Thread: PULI - Ilayathalapathy VIJAY| Sruthi Haasan | Sudeep | Chimbudevan | DSP |

Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Prejudice, Politics and Puli

Showtime: 03-Oct-15, 7:00 p.m.
    Showplace: Chakravarthy Cinemas, Nagercoil
    Showman: Ilayathalapathy Vijay
    Showpiece: Puli

After reading all the ‘bash-him, kill-him’ reviews about Puli, after reading about the IT raids, the possible income tax evasion/breach of fan-trust by Vijay (who is seen as a role-model for many including me), after discussing with few of my brothers from the Vijay gang about how Vijay of the Sura-era, the self-praising hero with political ambitions is back in Puli, after pondering a lot and later reluctantly driving to theatres, after thinking about walking out twice in the first half an hour or so after being bombarded with cheap 'first-night' jokes (Natty was talking about clean family entertainer, was wondering what he was referring to), after a lot of further afters , I actually ended up enjoying the rest of the show and found out that most of the criticisms, and all talks of 'sura 2' were emotional, knee-jerk and unfair.

There is a group which brings in Sura 2, each time a Vijay movie releases, with a vain hope of seeing Vijay fail, but I am not talking about that group here.

I was wondering why so many Vijay fans were up in arms, lining up first before sunrise to fire the first salvo at Vijay.

I understand and respect personal opinions of every fan here, but also please allow me to register my thoughts and I welcome your thoughts and comments on this.

Vijay may have evaded income tax, which if true would be a blow to my personal liking for him, but for the moment, let's stick with just puli.

Replace Vijay with any other hero in Puli.

A young Vedhalam is growing in a slave outfit. As a boy, he witnesses the killing of his sister by the Vedhalams. Later he sees his father’s hand chopped off by a vedhalam, As a yound man, he also has to witness the kidnapping of his sweetheart by the powerful vedhalams. This hero, a skilled young man is seen as the silver lining by the villagers to be play a warrior in taking on the vedhalams. You would have forgiven this young village man if he says 'Muyarchi illane than Veelchi'. Don’t you?

But alas, it is Vijay here and hah, here is that sinister political ambitions of him.

Replace Vijay with another hero in Puli.

The hero is in pursuit of his lady love and is on an adventure-filled trip to find her. He encounters a talking frog and he casually says 'Nallatha Thalaivan Sonna Enna, Thavala Sonna Enna, Ethukavendiyathu Thanne', most of us would have liked the line. Don’t we?

Here it is uttered by Vijay, who has a dark political past, that hard scars of the Kuruvi-Villu-Sura, era. Hah, Vijay and his sinister political ambitions. It's all back, is it?

Replace Vijay with another hero in Puli

Puli has a cliched flashback, a thought shared by most of the so-called critics. Every flashback in every movie, contemporary, fantasy or historical is cliched. Infact, flashback itself is severely cliched as highlighted in Thani Oruvan. Puli had a 10-minute, yes just a 10-minute quick flashback where a prince for his love of the masses, utters a few 'makkal' dialogues and gives his life for them. Every revolution has martyrs and Puli also shows a brave martyr in the flashback portion.

It would have passed unscathed, all the dialogues had it been a Ram Charan or a Prabas, but here we have man with a history of political ambitions and now, is that all back, again, those sinister political ambitions?

When every other tom, dick and harry could be given the benefit of doubt and even revered for uttering powerful political lines, why do we line up in arms to belt stones at Vijay?

Why this prejudice over politics on Vijay?

Vijay fans should start seeing Vijay as an entertainer. The reason i say that is most of us i am sure, started liking Vijay, the entertainer. Don’t we?

Show me one Vijay fan, who is his fan, because Vijay harbours political ambitions, I certainly have not come across one such fan.

We love to see his dance, his presence, his action scenes, his songs, the dialogues, the comedy, his fitness, etc.., That is the Vijay we like.

Then, why are we obsessed with his political ambitions? I was serverly guilty of seeing Vijay with a prejudice during his dark Kuruvi-Villu-Sura days. I did not like all the self-boasting, the political hints and all related stunts. Now after watching Puli, I have a feeling, we have been unfair towards him.

So puli has a few political dialogues, let's just hate that and move forward. Let's just take the things we have always liked in Vijay. In that regard, I enjoyed 80% of Puli.

Why should we start worrying about the political lines and get into a defensive mode? Are we worried about ‘others’ mocking Vijay or mocking us for Vijay?

So we fire the bullet first at Vijay, before anyone else aims one at Vijay and us?

If mocking had the power to distroy Vijay, he would have been dead, burried and invisible by now. The love for Vijay is greater than the hate and every single record, every single stat, every single fact, bears testimony to this.

I have seen and heard people call the superstar names for his political dialogues, when I was a boy. Rajni fans, I apologize for bringing his name here and if anyone feels offended, let me know, I will edit it immediately.

I read a post a few days ago here in hub about how one of our hubbers had opined that Vijay is just a media-created, unworthy competitior to another actor here. I think it’s the other way around. Vijay will always divide opinions and there will be a group, which will not like him. Period. We should learn to accept that and move forward.

Vijay is Vijay and he is going to be Vijay.

Let him have political aspirations, so what?

How many would dare to get into politics, given the obvious risks, but Vijay is daring to think that way, Why not?

Whether he is going to get into politics like MGR or decide otherwise like Rajni, it's up to him.

Let us just enjoy his screen presence, his dance, his fights, his comedy and move on.

Vijay, the entertainer is a cut-above any of his contemporaries. For me, that is all that is going to matter from now on. His political ambitions is his personal choice, let's learn to respect that.

How many would dare to try a fantasy genre at this stage of career?

I found the story of Puli engaging and the script, solid. Chimbudevan deserves credit. Let us not make him the next Rajkumar. Let's not find scapegoats to divert our frustration and put the blame. I liked the basic plot and it was refreshing to see the fantasy world, the taking birds, the giant man, the liliputs, the vedhalams with special powers, etc.

Sridevi was outstanding and all the scenes involving her was very well executed.

Sudeep has done a commendable job.

Hansika seems to have enjoyed her role.

Sruthi, i found was disconnected and a misfit.

DSP’s theme music was solid.

Apart from the first half an hour or so, I found Puli to be a fascinating ride into a fantasy world.

Puli, despite the poor start thanks to the cancelled shows, followed by mixed reviews, has still managed a solid show at the box office.

I am going to follow the box office fortunes of Puli with even bigger zest than before. I am interested in seeing where it eventually heads into. This is a litmus test of Vijay’s star power and I am going to see where he stands.

If my comments has hurt any Vijay fan here, I apologize in advance.

And to fans of other stars like Bimmer, Freedom, Tamiz and others, who have given Vijay fans the space without aiming to degrade neither Vijay nor this fans, I hope we get a chance to replicate your gesture.

Will catch up Puli again soon with family to catch a glimpse of the master-entertainer again.

Vijay, here i come, again!
    Last edited by CEDYBLUE; 4th October 2015 at 12:11 AM.
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

2. Likes ecureuhapis, interz, gane14, Kumaran.P liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VinodKumar's View Post
    Should have been a fantastic fantasy movie if CD and VJ have not compromised for VJ image. Worst comedies, unnecessary songs (Yaendi Yaendi and Sottaval), worst dialogues and poor flashback were the culprits. Movie also needed little more effort from Vijay in terms of body language and dialogue delivery. Kids were going mad for lilliput, frog, tortoise and fight sequences.
    Vinod except songs and just one or two mass or political related dialogues there is no such scenes that shows VJ image in this flick...yes I agree your view on songs...i expected the worst in flashback but it was short and acceptable so I was ok with that ...

Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cedy bro marana mass review ...you spoke my mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review and other points Cedy bro

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cedy bro, fantastic article.
    Vj nalla irukkanum, athanala avarukku arasiyal venam nnu thonuthu.
    Ean kanneerum seneerum kooda un pear sollum- Vijay

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nawaaz, I meant the masala items. Intro sequences, that long first night comedies, karun chiruthai fight etc ...Movie has very good story !!! For these kind of movies you should start the story right from the beginning ...It dint look like a fantasy movie for first 30 40 minutes !!!

When movie was going in full speed (Vijay's earlier stages in Vedhala kotai), there comes a song grrr ... personally I am frustrated because this movie should have come out as one of the best movie for Vijay but they wasted it. Vijay has come long way. By now he should know when a movie needs a song. If its Sura Villu kind of movie thodachipottutu adutha padathuku poiralam but indha padathuku ivalo efforts pottum nenachapadi varalaena kadiya irrukku.

Sorry for polambals, I was in the same situation after ATM also .

I should mention about DSP also. He has done a fantastic job in BGM. Exceeded my expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    #KamalHaasan with #Vijay and #ShrutiHaasan at the #Puli shoot spot ..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding political dialogues ...most of them looked like inserted for me ..

Kotaiku Neenga kootitu pogalaenalum naane vandhuruvaen ... erangiyaachu rendula onnu paathuralam ... kotai namakku .. raniku yen mela sandhaegam illa naduvula irukavgaluku thaan .. Nallai vidiyal makkaluku oru nalla vidiyala irrukum .. climax dialogues were like election campaign dialogues .

Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #97DaysToGo!!!
    #97DaysToGo!!! – ‏@Urs_KNS - Andhra pradesh

#Puli Sangam Day2 Gross - 68k!!! Highest Single Day Gross 4 Vijay!!! Crosses #Jilla Full Run Share(1.1lks) In 2Days!!!!
    10:10 AM - 3 Oct 2015

Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VinodKumar's View Post
    Regarding political dialogues ...most of them looked like inserted for me ..

Kotaiku Neenga kootitu pogalaenalum naane vandhuruvaen ... erangiyaachu rendula onnu paathuralam ... kotai namakku .. raniku yen mela sandhaegam illa naduvula irukavgaluku thaan .. Nallai vidiyal makkaluku oru nalla vidiyala irrukum .. climax dialogues were like election campaign dialogues .
    Seriously all these political dialogues???