Thread: A brief historical study of Sri Ranganather Temple

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Author - Virarajendra

Under Construction

A brief historical study of Sri Ranganather Temple at Srirangam

Prologue

The holy temple of "Srirangam" also known as "Thiruvarangam" in Tamil, is located in the present Thirutchiraappalli district of Tamil Nadu. This temple is dedicated to God Thirumaal (Vishnu) portrayed in his pose as 'Pallikonda Perumaal' (anantha sayanam), and worshiped as "God Sri Ranganather" with his consort as "Goddess Alamelu Mangai" (Alar mel Mangai = Goddess on lotus flower). This big temple is encompassed in an island created by the Kaveri river and it's branch river Kollidam. The first ever reference to God Thirumaal at Sri Rangam is found in the great Tamil Epic of Chera Nadu (Kerala) namely the "Silappathikaaram" of the 'second century' A.D.as follows:

"......ஆயிரம் விரித்தெழு தலையுடை அருந்திறற்
    பாயற் பள்ளிப் (Pallikonda)
    பலர் தொழு தேத்த
    விரி திரைக் காவிரி வியன் பெரு துருத்தித்
    திருவமர் மார்பன் (Thirumaal) கிடந்த வண்ணமும்( pose)
    ......"

Silappathikaaram - Kaadu Kaan Kaathai

Courtesy Nellai S.S.Mani - YouTube

(corrected title) Tamil 'Naalaayira Thivya Pirapantham' - Periyaalvaar paadal (nineth century) : Courtesy Dongapolice1992Dhody - You Tube

Courtesy Geethanjali Videos - YouTube

Chola Period

During the period of Cholas lands were given to the Ranganatha temple for the priests and administrators to cultivate on the lands provided and make use the revenues from same to conduct the poosai valipaadukal and to maintainence of the temple. However it was noted subsequently that the people from outside other than the village where the Sri Ranganatha temple was situated too were making use of the temple lands and revenues. In the year A.D.876 during the rule od Aditya Chola - 1 the Perungurisaba of Sri Rangam decreed a fine of 25 pon each on the officers of Pandaravaariyam (Treasurery) and Karanaththaar should they default on same in the future.
    A.R. 69 of 1892, Published in the S.I.I. Vol 4 Ins No:516

In the year A.D.897 during the period od Aditya Chola an endowment of 90 kalavanju of semmai gold was gifted by Puttadigal, son of Karanai Vilupperaraiyar Arivaladigal, for feeding of four Brahmanas. The sabhai of Tiruvarangam (Srirangam) undertakes to supply 120 kalam of ripe (old) paddy annually measured out with the measure called Sennadaikkal for the interest on the endowed amount.
    A.R. 70 of 1892, Publsihed in the Vol 4 Ins No:517

In the year A.D.923 during the rule of Parantha Chola - 1 a gift of silver lamp with stand and gold towards its maintenance for burning "Bhimaseni camphor" by Sankaran Iranasingan of Tiruvarai in Tennadu.
    (A. R. No. 72 of 1892, Published in S.I.I., Vol. IV., No. 519

------------------

Parantaka I

No. 3

(A. R. No. 73 of 1892)

IV Prakara left of entrance into the threshing floor.

Registers a gift of gold towards feeding a Brahmana well versed in the Vedas on the occasion of the midday service, by Pusamkan Piranteruman son of Devanar of Talikkottur in Nenmali-nadu. The record is dated in the 2nd year of Parakesarivarman probably Paranataka I.

Published in S.I.I., Vol. IV. No. 520

No. 4

(A. R. No. 72 of 1892)

IV Prakara, left side of the door-Jamb at the entrance into the threshing floor.

Registers gift of silver lamp with stand and gold towards its maintenance for burning Bhimaseni camphor by Sankaran Iranasingan of Tiruvarai in Tennadu. The record is dated in the 17th year (923-24 A.D.) of Madiraikonda Parakesarivarman i.e., Paranataka I. cf. No. 12 below.

Published in S.I.I., Vol. IV., No. 519.

No. 5

(A. R. No. 345 of 1918)

Stones built into the floor near the Ottaikkal-Mandapam attached to the Unjal-Mandapam

Damaged and worn out. Refers to the platform (tinnai) raised for the flag (tirukkodi) by Narayanan . . . . . . . . . . alias Tennavan-Brahmadhirayan, the Srikaryam of the temple. The record is dated in the [30th] year (936-37 A.D.) of the king.

No. 6

(A. R. No. 71 of 1892)

IV Prakara left of entrance into the threshing floor.

Registers the gift of a vessel Sahasradhara and 100 Kalanju of gold towards the sacred bath of the deity by . . . . . . Pallavaraiyan alias Ganattan . . . . . The record is dated in the 38th year (944-45 A.D.) of the king.

Published in the S.I.I., Vol. IV, No. 518.

No. 7

(A. R. No. 415 of 1961-62)

Proper right Jamb of the entrance into the Chandana-Mandapa

Records a gift of land in Sasanamangalam in Vila-nadu for food offerings on the occasion of the bathing ceremony of the god on the day of Rohini, the day of tirumulaippuludi during the Panguni-Uttiram festival by Achchiyan-Bhattan alias Sri Vasudevan, a brahmadhiraja of Peruvengur in Vila-nadu. This record is dated in the 39th year (945-46 A.D.) of the reign of Parantaka I. cf. No. 9 below.

No. 8

(A. R. No. 417 of 1961-62)

Proper left jamb of the entrance into the Chandana-Mandapa.

This epigraph which is damaged seems to record the gift of some jewels by Tananjan Narayanan of Pullamangalam in Kalar-kurram.

It is dated in the reign of Parantaka I. The date may be any year from thirty-one top thirty-nine.

No. 9

(A. R. No. 95 of 1936-37)

Slab kept near the Devasthanam Museum

Records a gift by Brahmadhirajan alias Achchiyan-Bhattan. Sri Vasudevan chakrapati of Peruvengur (vide No. 7 above) of two pieces of land in Sasanamangalam, a tax-free brahmadeya of his own in Vila-nadu, for sweet cake offerings to the god on the day of Ekadasi, during the Panguni festival in the temple. Mentions the measure called ‘Rajakesari’. The record is dated in the 41st year (948-49 A.D.) of the king. Cf. No.7 above.

No. 10

(A. R. No. 418 of 1961-62)

Proper left jamb of the entrance into the Chandana-Mandapa.

Records a similar gift of jewels as recorded in No. 8 above by Ten[navan] Brahmasrirajan alias Narayana . . . raiyan of Pullamangalam.

The record is dated in the reign of Parantaka I. The regnal year may be any year between forty-one to forty-eight, the latest known regnal year for this king.

Gandaraditya or Sundara-Chola

No. 11

(A. R. No. 416 of 1961-62)

Proper right jamb of the entrance into the Chandana-Mandapa

Records the creation of an endowment of sixty kalanju of gold by Somadeva-bhattan of Pappanachcheri in Tirukkannamangalam in Tirumarugal-nadu for feeding a brahmana well-versed in the Vedas.

The epigraph is in two sections, one in Sanskrit engraved in Grantha and the other in Tamil characters of about the 10th century. The record which is dated in the 4th year in the reign of a Rajakesarivarman may be assigned to Gandaraditya or Sundara-chola on grounds Paleography.

Uttama Chola

No. 12

(A. R. No. 65 of 1938-39)

Round pillar set up in the Chandana-Mandapa.

Records that the members of the sabha of Srirangam agreed to run the service of burning a lamp in front of Tiruvarangattu-Perumanadigal with Bhimaseni-karpuram (camphor) and ghee provided for, from the interest on 71 kalanju of gold invested by Sridharan Kumaran, a Malaiyalan of Iravimangalam in Valluva-nadu of Malai-nadu. The record is dated in the fifteenth regnal year of Uttama Chola. Cf. No. 4 above.

Rajaraja I

No. 13

(A. R. No. 343 of 1918)

Tiers of the Ottaikkal-Mandapam attached to the Unjal-Mandapam.

Fragmentary. Mentions Kuravan . . . the commander (Senapati) of Rajarajadeva (I). The other details are lost. Contains a portion of the prasasti of the king.

No. 14

(A. R.. No. 342 of 1918)

Built in. Registers a gift of 40 kalanju for several offerings to the god. The record belongs to Koviraja-Rajakesari i.e. Rajaraja I. Another fragment below this contains part of the prasasti of Rajendrachola I.

No. 15

(A. R. No. 327 of 1952-53)

Tirukkuralappan (Vamana) shrine, south wall.

Fragmentary. Seems to refer to some transactions of the Perurigurisabha of Uttamasili-chaturvedimarigalam. One of the fragments refers to the sabha of Nandivarmamangalam. The record is dated in the 7th regnal year (991-992 A. D.) Rajarajakesarivarman i.e., Rajaraja I. This and the following two numbers also consist of fragments of records some of which seem to have belonged to the temple at Tiruvanaikka in Jambukesvaram (see No. 16 below).

No. 16

(A. R. No. 328 of 1952-53)

Same place.

Fragment one of the fragment cites the 7th year (991-92 A. D.) of reign of Rajarajakesarivarman (i. e., Rajaraja I) and mentions a certain Pallavaraiyan of Paluvur from whom some lands seem to have been bought Another fragment refers to the deity Purushottamattup-Perumal. Two other fragments mention the deity Anaik[kavil-Embe]ruman.

No. 17

(A. R. No. 331 of 1952-53)

Same place, tiers of the wall.

Fragmentary. Mentions the sabha of [Uttamasili]-chaturvedimangalam and seems to refer to some lands in Viranarayanallur. The record is dated in the 7th regnal year (991-92 A.D.) of Rajarajakesarivarman i.e., Rajaraja I.

No. 18

(A. R. No. 344 (b) of 1918)

Fragmentary. Seems to record a gift of gold for certain offerings to god in the 19th regnal year (1003-04 A.D.) of Rajarajadeva.

No. 19

(A. R. No. 370 of 1953-54)

Hexagonal column of a pillar lying in front of the ancient paddy strong rooms in the Kottaram.

Slightly damaged in the beginning. Contains the prasasti commencing with Tirumagal-pola etc., Registers a gift of a hundred cows for the daily supply for four nali of milk measured by the (liquid-measure called) senanadai for the pal-amidu service to the god by Madurantakan Sundara-solan alias Rajaraja-Ilangovelar in the 32nd regnal year of Rajaraja (I).

The writing is in a spiral, starting at the top of the column and ending at its bottom.

No.20

(A. R. No. 341 of 1918)

The inscription is built in. Registers a gift of 14 kalanju of gold by the assembly of Tiruvarangam for offerings to the deity during the festivals in the months of Panguni and Aippasi. Mentions Vembarrur alias Avaninarana Chaturvedimangalam. The record is dated in the 24th year of the king.

Rajendra I

No. 21

(A. R. No. 344 (a) of 1918)

Tiers of the Ottaikkal-Mandapam attached to the Unjal-Mandapam

Fragmentary. The inscription is dated in the reign (year lost) of Parakesarivarman Rajendracholadeva (acc. 1012 A.D.). Mentions Kuravan Karumanikkattar.

No. 22

(A. R. No. 19 of 1948-49)

III Prakara, west of Nalikettanvasal

Damaged. Gives a list of names. The record is dated in the 12th regnal year (1024 A.D.) of the king.

Rajadhiraja I

No. 23

(A. R. No. 333 of 1952-53)

Chakrattalvar shrine, pillars of the verandah.

Damaged. Commences with the prasasti Tingaler-taru etc., Seems to record a gift of gold by a Muvendavelar. Mentions a certain Brahmamarayar. Some of the pillars on which the inscription seems to have been engraved in continuation are built into the wall. The record is dated in the 30th regnal year of the king.

No. 24

(A. R. No. 334 of 1952-53)

Chakrattalvar shrine, pillars of the verandah.

Damaged. Contains the prasasti commencing Tingaler-taru. Seems to record an endowment of 130 kasu towards the upkeep of some matha.

Adhirajdendra

No. 25

(A. R. No. 181 of 1951-52)

Even during the period od Adirajendra Chola too a gift of land was made to this temple

Paandiya Period

Period of Muslim invasion]

Vijayanagara Period

Nayakkar period Period

To be continued

Last edited by virarajendra; 1st February 2015 at 10:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    brought forward