Page 75 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Star in & as LINGAA ♠Anushka ♠ARR ♠KS Ravikumar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by interz View Post
    When I paid 100 danish kroner= 1045 indian rupees to watch the movie in theatre, I expected something better than the outcome, I think KSR has let many down. He solely depended on superstars charisma.
    lol and your honor did anyone forced or threatened YOU to watch this movie? paying whatever which so you dear to you, which you could have used for a good plate of nice dinner!
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    Watched night show at Luxe. Almost all screens show Lingaa there.

Movie as a whole was ok only. A good story spoilt by poor screenplay. That was surprising from KSR, who made a three hour Padayappa look like a normal length movie. He is in awfully bad form these days. A good editor could've helped too. KSR normally uses a little known Thanikachalam for his movies. But if I am not wrong, this film has a different editor.

Rajni looked convincing as Raja Lingeshwaran but not very apt for the happy go Lingaa. While few reviewers felt that the flashback was lengthy, I felt only the flashback had some life in it. The emotional scenes post interval worked for me. But the manner in which story writer connected the dots between the present and history is nothing but a lesson for wannabe directors on how not to write a story. Also KSR also made some unintentional comedies like Vijayakumar playing the role of Naattaamai for the 97th time in his career, the kid's face turning into K Vishwanath, the whole supporting cast crying while eating a meal, etc. Climax was the pinnacle.

Both heroines had a reasonable role to play unlike other mass hero movies were they just romance the heroes and sing/dance for duets. And both have done a good job.

One major plus was Rathnavelu's cinematography. Terrific!!

I already started liking the songs before the release. But the song placement after interval was really bad. 3 songs in a span of 15 min. Also for someone who complimented Endhiran, Sivaji or Padayappa with his rocking bgm, this score was a huge letdown. He didn't get many opportunities to rock but whatever he got, he didn't make use of it.

Rajni has set the bar high in BO with Endhiran and Sivaji. Now he himself will find it difficult to surpass them. So he should not allow external factors like health or timeline to dictate his film's release. I still believe if KSR was not restricted to a timeline, he would've come with a far superior product.
    Your review goes along with MOST- including most of the critics.

One thing about BO..

We dont have Shankar here and so, usual two-year delay and accumulated interest for the investment they made need to be eliminated. They recover their investment quickly and so even if they make 30% less they get the same profit.
    This is a very big world!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber cm123's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    super star title celebration. Can watch Thalaivar movie just for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Realized it is Sivaji music While watching 3rd time last night. ARR too busy ..?

Post Thanks / Like
    one more, Thalaivar's picture at the end added more excitement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kerala response.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cm123 View Post
    Kerala response.

watch at 0.38 sec...

Rajini completely owns the word "thalivar".......
    Last edited by Avadi to America; 14th December 2014 at 09:14 AM.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is

Post Thanks / Like
    -deleted---
    Last edited by Avadi to America; 14th December 2014 at 08:32 AM.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Review: Lingaa is buffoonery at its most old-school
    http://www.rediff.com/movies/review/...l/20141212.htm

Lingaa can get tiresome, especially with the too-long fight scenes, but remains constantly watchable because of the miraculously light way in which Rajinikanth continues to wear his megastardom around him, says Raja Sen.

You can tell just how vintage a film aspires to be by the films it steals from.

KS Ravikumar's Lingaa may be set in today for the most part. But as an opening heist -- borrowed moronically yet loyally from Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn's How To Steal A Million -- shows us, here is a new film that would prefer to rip off a 1966 comedy instead of one of these modern English movies. Simply because nothing out there today quite has the understated charm of old Hollywood.

That includes Rajinikanth.

Sure, that most iconic of our leading men is anything but understated, but watching him in action shows us not just the most old-school of swaggers but also a self-assured coolth missing from most heroes anywhere today.

Rajini's heroism comes with a grace that makes all the stereotyping bearable, he is always smilingly in on the gag -- the biggest punchline being that he's a parody of himself -- rather than an actor taking his screen image too seriously.

That said, Lingaa is a deliriously scripted film about Lingaa, a present-day thief (and engineer of Willism Wyler saluting heists, as mentioned) who enchants a young, hefty television news anchor to the point of pirate-fetishising dreams.

The song as the girl dreams of him is particularly priceless, with glorious subtitles reading (from him to her) "Mona, my catalyst gasoline darling" and her replying, as she invitingly unbuttons her blouse, "Your Mona is like Fort Knox treasury; shall I open so coins you can carry?"

It's all magnificent, stirring stuff, and Benny Lava ain't got nothing on these romantics.

But the cops are after Lingaa -- whose face is magically devoid of a single crease but whose hands often appear gnarled -- and he begins ducking from the cops while his sidekick brilliantly questions him, "Why hide like you saw your father in a wine shop?"

Like I said, old-school.

Soon enough, Lingaa and his gang (plus the smitten TV anchor) decide to hotfoot it to a small village where Lingaa's grandfather, Lingeswaran, was king.

Now, in keeping with saluting the vintage, this is the real dude, a highly educated Indian ruler who was so smart he read Joseph Cambell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces 10 years before it was written.

Now this original Lingaa is the true leading man, even though he falls for the most unteenagerly teenager of all, played by the younger, heftier Sonakshi Sinha, playing up her bovine ways in a desperate attempt to appear doe-like.

It's not a great move, but everything is worth watching Rajinikanth grin slyly as he says "naughty girl."

Plot-wise, Lingaa has a lot of meat, particularly the 1939 flashback wherein grandpa Rajini gets the better of our British overlords with impressive nonchalance and dignity, even as director KS Ravikumar amps up the film's giant scale with hundreds of extras and lavish sets.

It's a compelling watch of a man with unquestioned nobility falling from grace but never once doing what is less than ideal -- even if Sinha invitingly sings "from basics to base 4, let's have an encore," making her intentions rather clear. (I'd say naughty girl but what's the use when you can't say it the way Rajini can?)

The hero does it all, from obliterating caste barriers to daintily feeding British governors cake to frying up appalams for unannounced guests.

At 175 minutes, Lingaa can get tiresome, especially with the too-long fight scenes, but remains constantly watchable because of the miraculously light way in which Rajinikanth continues to wear his megastardom around him, like a chiffon cloak.

In it's own way the film tries to be progressive and forward-thinking, but this isn't about that. It's about a man who brings pleasure to his people. Much like its ridiculous hot-air balloon climax, then, Lingaa is a gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ibtimes.co.in/lingaa-maki...on-hoax-617106

'Lingaa' Box Office Collection: "Rajini's Film Earns ₹ 60 Crores on Opening Day" is Hoax