Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilayaraja News and Tidbits 2014

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thozhar View Post
    இளையவர்கள் மூத்தவர்களை அணுக வேண்டும் என்பது சரிதான். ஆனால் அதற்கான அவசியம் என்ன வந்தது? உங்களது விருப்பம் அது என்றால் சரி. அது போல் மற்றவர்களும் அவர்களது விருப்பத்தையும் கருத்தையும் தெரிவிக்கின்றனர். இதில் என்ன பிரச்சனை?
    இது என்ன கேள்வி? ராஜாவும், ரஹ்மானும் இணைந்து சர்வதேச அளவில் ஒரு ஆல்பம் வெளியிடனும் என முதலில் கருத்தை பதிவு செய்தது திரு ராஜசேகர். நீங்க நடக்காது என எதிர்மறையாக சொன்னபோது, நான் நேர்மறையாக, "வேண்டுமென்றால் இப்படி செய்யலாம்" என இணைவதற்கான வாய்ப்புகளாக நான் கருதும் நிகழ்தகவுகளை பதித்தேன்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thozhar View Post
    ரவி நடராஜன் எழுதிய பதிவை இங்கே குறிப்பிட்டதற்கு நன்றி. ஆனால் யார் இந்த ரவி நடராஜன்? இவர் நினைப்பது அனைவருக்கும் பொருந்துமா? இசையை ஏதாவது அளவுகோல் கொண்டு அளப்பதே என்னை பொறுத்தவரை அநாகரீகம். அதற்காக அமைப்பது அல்ல இசை. ஒவ்வொருவருக்கும் ஒவ்வொரு இசை வடிவம் பாதிப்பை ஏற்படுத்தியிருக்கும். ஐரீனுக்கு "கண்டுகொண்டேன்" பாடல் பிடித்திருக்கிறது. அவரது பார்வையில் அது ஒரு சிறந்த இசை கோர்வையாக படுகிறது. உங்களுக்கு படவில்லை என்றால் மகிழ்ச்சி. அதற்கு ஏன் அவரது இசை கேட்கும் அனுபவத்தை விமர்சிக்க வேண்டும்?
    நீங்களே இந்தப் பத்தியை இன்னொரு முறை படிக்கவும். உங்கள் கருத்தில் ஏற்படும் முரண்களை நீங்களே உணரலாம். வேறு ஒன்றும் சொல்வதற்கில்லை.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    நீங்களே இந்தப் பத்தியை இன்னொரு முறை படிக்கவும். உங்கள் கருத்தில் ஏற்படும் முரண்களை நீங்களே உணரலாம். வேறு ஒன்றும் சொல்வதற்கில்லை.
    எனக்கு எந்த முரணும் தெரியவில்லை. வேண்டுமென்றால் தெளிவு படுத்த முயற்சிக்கிறேன். ஒரு அளவுகோல் கொண்டு அனைவருக்கும் அது பொருந்தும் என்று கருதுவது அநாகரீகம். ஒருவருக்கு சிறந்த இசையாக படுவது மற்றவருக்கும் சிறந்ததாக பட வேண்டும் என்று கட்டாயமில்லை.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    சுத்தம். உங்களது சென்றபதிவில் இரண்டு நபர்களையும் ஒரே குடையில் சொன்னதுபோலவே இங்கே வயலின் விஷயத்திலும். நல்லாயிருக்கு சார் ஒங்களோட இசை கேட்கும் அனுபவமும், மதிப்பீடும். இனி நான் உங்களோடு இந்த விஷயத்தில் உரையாடுவது நேரவிரயம்.
    Nanbare,

By quoting some other guy ( Ravi ) writings, if you wish to refer about IR, can I conclude that you have no idea on IR on your own !!?? I think when you started a series of Bhakti and IR , I raised a query for which you had no answer . And I could see that you have virtually discontinued your thoughts there. Does it mean that your knowledge on IR and Bhakti also is a vacuum ?? . I dont wish to insult you here. The emphasis is that ARR is by no way, inferior in handling of instruments.
    I dont agree with your version of - Junior should approach a senior. Why, a follower of Ramana Maharishi should not look for levels to reach out to others when you are in pursuit of divine music . Enadhu udalum uyirum porulum , sakalam Ramanarpanam ... This is what Raja says . So friend, it will be great if the senior moves towards a Junior . When IR had worked with Gangai A , why not with ARR ?
    If such a combination materialises, it will be a treat to fans.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sudhakarg View Post
    The IR // MSV combo worked well fundamentally because IR was also a fan of MSV. He openly admits to his tunes being influenced by MSV "Anna". IR holds MSV in the highest pedestal. Not sure if Rahman shares the same feelings. May be I'm harping on something that happened too long ago.., but I recollect a Rahman interview where the interviewer asked "illaiyaraajavidam ungaLukku pidichcha vishayam".., and then he answering "Punctuality"!!. When he was pressed hard to state one song he liked, he mentioned "ingi iduppazhaga". Based purely on the public image, I think their respective competitive instincts takes over precedence in their relationship.

I agree cent per cent with this. This is the reason why such a collaboration will never materialise.

From the point of view of a fan's flights of fantasy, I would welcome such a collaboration, though. No, I don't think ARR can add anything to IR's music in terms of melody, harmony or rhythm. IR is way ahead in those departments and to consider Rahman his equal in orchestration is...well, I should rather not comment on such opinions. But ARR can certainly add a lot to IR's music in the production department. Production doesn't just mean recording. It means paying attention to minute details to build up a good fundamental base into the stuff that gets the masses roaring. As a parallel, Richard Carpenter of Carpenters borrowed many songs (legally), sometimes even ad jingles, but mostly songs composed by Burt Bacharach, Paul Williams and Leon Russell. It is not that he was a better musician than them (though his own compositions like I Need to Be in Love rivalled the ones he chose from those composers. But he knew much better how to build up a song into something big. If you at all happen to be familiar with Carpenters, listen to the original versions of Close to You and then the Carpenters version and feel the difference. The former will sound incredibly bland in comparison. This is also how Pink Floyd scored over more musically talented prog rock bands in the 70s; they just knew how to put music together better than everybody else.

It is not that IR lacks in the production department and Agni Natchathram in particular stands out for great production to complete masterful composition. But we are not in the 80s anymore and ARR can update his production such that a new generation of listeners can relate to it. Remember IR always operated out of Prasad Studios whereas ARR built his own studio and still produced better recorded music. So he knows things about production that IR does not. It is the trump card with which he ousted IR in the commercial sweepstakes. It would be interesting to see what IR's music would sound like in the hands of a master producer like ARR. Musically, no. ARR is already busy rehashing his earlier melodies and has been for some time, and that's without producing even half of IR's output. IR still brings out new dimensions of his music, new stylistic approaches after so many years. It's another matter if the public doesn't have the patience to listen and discern these differences any more and it's certainly not his fault.

7. Likes venkkiram liked this post
    Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic and very insightful posts by sudhakarg and crimson king.

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good discussion points!!! Folks, we are not going to determine whether Raja & Rahman are going to collaborate in future. In most of the cases, it's the Producer or Director of a movie who is going to decide this collaboration issue. Maniratnam desired that Raja should score the music for his earlier project "Ponniyin Selvan" and he later wanted Rahman to work with Raja. The idea never took off since the project itself didn't get funding from producers. Moreover rumor mills said that Raja will not work with Mani anymore, though Suhasini and Raja are working closely on future international concerts. Suhasini recently confirmed this news in Hindu. "Ponniyin Selvan" is history now. MSV and Raja worked together because of a producer's request. In 1980, Raja, Shankar-Ganesh and KVM composed songs for "Kannil Theriyum Kathaigal" with super-duper songs. The duo Devaraj-Mohan of Annakili was the Director. "Naan Oru Ponoviyam Kanden" is a gold standard for Mohana raagam with three Platinum singers - SPB, Susheela and Janaki. In Western Music, just one single platinum song is considered a life-time achievement. Take Carlos Santana, "Black Magic Woman" song. It took many years for Santana to collaborate with Matchbox Twenty to deliver another Platinum/ Grammy hit. Here we have someone who has scored more than 1000 albums with several multi-platinum hits.

If someone comes up with funding and an idea for a movie/ album/ symphony, no one can stop Raja & Rahman to collaborate. Look at the number of popular jugalbandis and collaborations in Indian classical & western music. Collaboration brings out the best of each musician. Raja & Rahman can bring out a fusion album of classical Indian/ Hindustani & Western Vocals. The ideas are limitless and plenty of talented artists will die for such an opportunity. Let's hope that both Raja & Rahman fans will see that day in future!!!! As Rahman rightly said, their mutual respect is within their heart.

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    I agree cent per cent with this. This is the reason why such a collaboration will never materialise.

From the point of view of a fan's flights of fantasy, I would welcome such a collaboration, though. No, I don't think ARR can add anything to IR's music in terms of melody, harmony or rhythm. IR is way ahead in those departments and to consider Rahman his equal in orchestration is...well, I should rather not comment on such opinions. But ARR can certainly add a lot to IR's music in the production department. Production doesn't just mean recording. It means paying attention to minute details to build up a good fundamental base into the stuff that gets the masses roaring. As a parallel, Richard Carpenter of Carpenters borrowed many songs (legally), sometimes even ad jingles, but mostly songs composed by Burt Bacharach, Paul Williams and Leon Russell. It is not that he was a better musician than them (though his own compositions like I Need to Be in Love rivalled the ones he chose from those composers. But he knew much better how to build up a song into something big. If you at all happen to be familiar with Carpenters, listen to the original versions of Close to You and then the Carpenters version and feel the difference. The former will sound incredibly bland in comparison. This is also how Pink Floyd scored over more musically talented prog rock bands in the 70s; they just knew how to put music together better than everybody else.

It is not that IR lacks in the production department and Agni Natchathram in particular stands out for great production to complete masterful composition. But we are not in the 80s anymore and ARR can update his production such that a new generation of listeners can relate to it. Remember IR always operated out of Prasad Studios whereas ARR built his own studio and still produced better recorded music. So he knows things about production that IR does not. It is the trump card with which he ousted IR in the commercial sweepstakes. It would be interesting to see what IR's music would sound like in the hands of a master producer like ARR. Musically, no. ARR is already busy rehashing his earlier melodies and has been for some time, and that's without producing even half of IR's output. IR still brings out new dimensions of his music, new stylistic approaches after so many years. It's another matter if the public doesn't have the patience to listen and discern these differences any more and it's certainly not his fault.
    சொல்லிட்டாருப்பா ஜீனியஸ். இனி யாரும் ஒரு வார்த்தை பேச கூடாது. கிரிம்சன் கிங்கே சொல்லிட்டாருன்னா, அது உண்மையாதான் இருக்கும். இனி ரஹ்மானுக்கு கஷ்டம்தான். கிரிம்சன் கிங்கே சொல்லிட்டாருன்னா, இனி அவர் பாடு திண்டாட்டம்தான்.

Re: collaboration, ஆணியே புடுங்க வேண்டாம். ரஹ்மானுக்கும் அது தேவையில்லை.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thozhar, to be very honest with you, I didn't expect a different response from you. I am also not least surprised that you have conveniently sidestepped my vote in favour of a collaboration and highlighting Rahman's superiority in production to pick on something you can gripe about.

Now if, instead of indulging in veiled attacks on me, if you can actually articulate what's so original about tunes like Nenjukulle, Innum Konjam Neram or Pookale, I am all ears. I may or may not agree but at least that would be a discussion and I would get to hear a different perspective instead of this useless "with us or against us" posturing. IMO Rahman's tunes these days do not live up to the standards of even his B grade scores of earlier like Thenali. Where, really, is a melody like Swasame in his soundtracks today? To be fair, that happens to any composer with the passage of time. But at least Ilayaraja is still able to come up with a Sattru Munbu or Kalvane every once in a while. I don't see any risk taking at all in Rahman's music these days. It's very disappointing for me because in the 90s, his irreverence was what made him so compelling. So I find it boring to see him morph into a peddler of urban feel good music sorely lacking in adventure.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Vysar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IR's symphony in AR Rahman's backyard???

Last edited by Vysar; 4th April 2015 at 07:17 PM.

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast