Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilayaraja News and Tidbits 2014

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update on royalty case that IR had filed. Judgement in favour of IR.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2696547.ece

thanks,

Krishnan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244 View Post
    Update on royalty case that IR had filed. Judgement in favour of IR.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2696547.ece

thanks,

Krishnan
    Good news. Let Raja appoint a reliable person/company to manage his creations and market in a seamless way in today's digital music market.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like IR is contemplating on giving the rights of his work to Tamil Nadu Producer Council:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/t...le/126931.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Post Thanks / Like
    Came across this. It appears that no FM or tv channels can air IR songs without acquiring rights from either IR or producers council. I know this intellectual property was applicable for all forms of unauthorized distribution (and/or reproduction??) including CD, digital, FM, TV, etc, but I am wondering if making it strictly applicable for FM channels and TV channels will actually affect IR popularity (because we may not hear/see IR songs on TV/FM till TV/FM gets rights for the same)?

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cin...cle6958765.ece

thanks,

Krishnan

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244 View Post
    Came across this. It appears that no FM or tv channels can air IR songs without acquiring rights from either IR or producers council.
    It is quite a late move from IR. In tamil there is a saying that goes on like catching a tail rather than something....
    I guess he must be seeing how 'smart' the latest composers are to 'mint' money from their 'mostly' copied productions in various ways like royalty, cell phone tunes etc.
    Those days, such awareness was less and he didn't care much. Especially, it happens when you tune more 55 films/year.

Now everybody seems to make lot of money out of his intellectual property. Some companies abroad have even marketed mp3 of songs.
    As much as I resent such practice, I also sympathize with IR. He can't rectify this.

I don't think he can stop any TV channel, radio station etc from broadcasting his songs. Even today afternoon (5th Mar 15, 92.7 FM station) I was listening to 3 hours of IR songs. If IR tries to curb these activities, he will most likely face stiff opposition and also resentment from public.

And ofcourse, such blockage would be 'unheard of' in the history of Indian film music, I guess.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's right on principles to assert his IPR and it doesn't matter if it would dissuade radio stations from playing his music. This should have been done long ago anyway. As they say in Hindi, der aaye magar durust aaye.

Post Thanks / Like
    IR press meet about IPR judgement:

thanks,

Krishnan

Post Thanks / Like
    Rudramadevi BGM to be recorded at Hungary. Also, one song of movie "GAME" has been recorded...

"...It’s time to work. A ‘track’ singer is being trained while Sadhana Sargam chats with a friend. One song for Ramesh’s film has already been recorded in the voices of Karthik and Ramya. Another director is waiting to meet the maestro hoping he’ll like his ‘one line’. Time is scarce with Raja scheduled to leave for Hungary. He’ll be recording the background score of the ambitious ‘Rudramadevi’ which will take a fortnight. Ramesh waits for another melody to be recorded. ..."

http://www.thehindu.com/features/fri...cle6966309.ece

thanks,

Krishnan

Junior Member Devoted Hubber rajaramsgi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sivasub: IR speech - felicitation of TVG
    krish244: Video of IR at TFPCs food for thought event
    krish244: IR press meet about IPR judgement:
    நன்றி நண்பர்களே.. சமீப காலமாக மேடைகளில் அடிக்கடி தென்பட்ட காரணத்தாலோ என்னவோ, ராஜா சார் பேச்சிலும் தேறிவிட்டார் அவர் பேச்சில் இப்போதெல்லாம் பிசிறில்லை. சொல்ல வருவதை தெளிவாய் சொல்வதோடு மட்டும் இல்லாமல், தத்துவங்களை குறைத்தும் பேசுகிறார். இப்படியே போனால் தேவலாம்.

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ilayaraja and Music Royalty - Time to correct the big anomaly

This High Court judgement and development has come after a long delayed period. A music composer who has released a world record number of music albums of more than 1000 is still an ordinary person whom anyone could mistake for a poor sadhu. Several years ago, Rahman mentioned in an interview on why he keeps increasing his fee for every film, he replied that producers and film world should give him whatever is worth for his composition including efforts by many musicians/ artists who toil several hours behind the scenes to finalize a song. Rahman specifically quoted that Raja Sir wasn't paid the market value for all his wonderful compositions and the industry should now start correcting this anomaly. He said that Raja Sir could have bought the entire state of Tamil Nadu with his music royalties. That's 100% true. Ilayaraja should be paid all the music royalties that's due to him.

Just listen to any internet radio channels worldwide, multiple stations playing Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada songs, you will always find one Raaja's song being played 24x7x365. That's the power of this Sadhu. Based on my calculations (refer to my old thread in TFM), Ilayaraja's music royalty and number of albums sold (Cassettes, Vinyl and CDs) is valued than more than many world renowned musicians, including Michael Jackson and the current reigning music celebrity Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift, having sold over 40 million albums (27.1 million of them in the U.S. and 130 million single downloads), and is among the top five music artists who have sold the most digital music worldwide. Taylor Swift can dictate the royalties paid by top distributors like Pandora, Apple and Spotify. Here we have a Sadhu who has composed more than 1000 albums (in terms of album copies which is more than 40 million or 400 Lakhs) and trying to get music royalty from crooked distributors. This Man should be given the credit and royalty that's due to him.

Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast