Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: north karnataka- karalu hindi

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

north karnataka- karalu hindi

Hai,
    does anybody know what are the karal seeds called in english..Karal hindi/karellu hindi/gurellu pudi is a kannada term and hindi means powder in north karnataka..
    I know they r black seeds but dont know what is it called in english..
    can anyone please help me..urgent
    also can u tell me where can i find those..

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi napolims445,
    I'm sorry I can't help u with the english name for the seeds, but since u mentioned north karnata I assume u r from that region. I happen to like the vegetable dishes from that region. I would appreciate if u could post a few recipes of the same. Thanx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Udurupalya- (uduru=dry, palya=curry)
    north karnataka recipe eaten with jowar roti

split moong dal- 1 cup
    sabsipalya( dill leaves, suva bhaji)- 1 bunch from indian store
    garlic- however u prefer- cut into strips
    green chillies- ur taste
    karalhindi(sorry do not know what is it called in other languages)kind of powder- 1-2 tbsp
    salt

cut the sabsipalya and wash well in water and drain and then in seasoning oil add curry leaves, garlic, green chillies and sabsipalya and saute for a while till the raw smell and flavour of sabsipalya is gone and it is cooked. keep it aside. then boil moong dal in water and turmeric till it is cooked but not mushy(i mean the moong should maintain the shape and be cooked)
    after the moong is done add the sabsipalya mixture and karalhindi and salt and mix for a while till all the flavour blends.
    u can add lime juice if u want.
    ur udurupalya is ready.
    hope u will like it

will post recipes as and when i will get time

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi napolims445,
    Thanx for the recipe, sometimes I do get 'dill' where I live so I'll surely try ur recipe the next time I find dill. But meanwhile can I use some other kind of greens in place of dill?

I have finally found out what the gurellu seeds r : they r called 'Sesame' in english and r also called 'til' (in hindi) and gingely( in tamil I think) . I think we get two varieties in India white and black. U can find these seeds at most indian grocery stores but I'm not sure if they r available in the powder form.

In ur recipe can I use white sesame seed ground in the cofee grinder in place of 'karalhindi'?

Post Thanks / Like
    No gurellu is not black sesame seeds - the indian store here has that but it not karal/gurellu. It is not easy to find karalu in south karnataka also. we get that abundantly in north karnataka.

No i don't think so that u can substitute till /sesame seeds powder for karalu. They both are very different in taste. when i run out of karalu i make udurupalya without karalu. because i get karaluhindi everytime someone is coming from india.

I'm sure u can use other greens instead of dill, but u get a distinct flavour with dill leaves and to this if u can add karahindi u get an authentic flavour.

Note- udurupalya as the name says dry curry is dry(meaning when u touch the curry with ur fingers nothing should stick to ur fingers because it is not wet like other dals preparations

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuffed Baingan( also close to yennegai)-

This is not the exact recipe that u get in kamat yatrinivas but this is the version that we make at home with jolada rotti...u know as i'm typing this i miss mummys jolada rotti and baingan...my mouth is watering.

Brinjals(small ones)- 8-10
    for masala-
    grated Dry coconut- 12-16 tbsp or if u r using dry coconut flakes from indian store- 8-11 tbsp
    (because i have to grate dry coconut to get grated d.c and its time consuming, i use dry coconut powder or flakes from indian store ,
    and i think the dry coconut flakes/powder which u get in american store contain some sugar -not sure)
    peanuts- 3-4 tbsp
    dhania seeds- 2 tsp
    jeera 1 tsp
    khara/red chilli powder- ur taste
    salt - ur taste
    rasam/sambhar masala pd- 1-2 tsp
    tamarind- 1 ball of amla size or ur taste or u can omit
    yellu/til seeds- 2 tsp
    garlic- american size(big size)- 2-3
    (i hope i remember everything right- will check once i go home and tell u if there r any changes)

Put all these in a blender starting with dry ingredients and adding less and less dry ingredients. gring this into powder. taste this because whatever it tastes is the taste u get when u make the baingans.
    Cut the baingans stalk and make 4 slits in baingan longitudinally leaving one end intact so that u can stuff the mixture. Stuff the coconut mixture in the slit baingans. In a kadai take 1-2 tbsp of oil
    and u may add additional seasoning or u can omit.
    then when the oil is hot add the baingans and stir it now and then for 5 minutes and then add water 1/2 cup and the remaining mixture ( start with 1/2 cup ) and close the lid and let it cook for 10 minutes and now check if the baingans are cooked and also if the gravy consistency is to ur desire ( u can add water accordingly as much thick or thin gravy u want and also next time u can vary the proportion of ground mixture to baingan as per ur preference).
    If baingans are cooked and the gravy is to ur req consistancy then its done. ready to eat. Hope u like my (my grandmas)version.

Note--When half cooked if u feel that salt,khara or tamarind is less u can add those now.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Napolims445,
    Thanks for the yennegai recipe, I will definitely try it. Please post other North Karnataka recipes, I'm from South Karnataka but love all NK dishes. We call Garelu pudi as Ucchal pudi, do you know about this. I hope I'm right. Even I get it when I visit India.

-Thanks,
    Khushi.

Post Thanks / Like
    exactly...
    yes karelu/gurellu is also called as hucchellu or ucchal ....
    do u know if we get that seeds in USA?

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber truebluemoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My aunt lives in Hubli and I have spent many a holidays at her place. I used to interact with the local people and learn local dishes. I know gurellu and haven't seen anyone but North Karnataka people use it.

I looked online a lot and found out they are called NIGER SEEDS.
    In US, they are used for industrial purposes and also as bird feed. ( I should have known.....my roommate had a cockateel and she used to feed him with bird feed which had gurellu...only I didn't realise it was gurellu 8) )

I think to buy it in US, you may have to look for bird feeds...wierd, but true. You may also find it in some Indian stores.

I am posting a link to an image of Niger seeds, just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing

http://www.groversons.com/niger-seeds.html

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber truebluemoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adding to the previous message, Niger (sometimes also spelt as Nyjer) seeds are also sold as Thistle seeds..
    Its quite easily available in US

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast