Page 57 of 344 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: UlagaNayagan KAMALHAASAN in ||"UthamaVillan"|| Directed by Ramesh Aravind

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srinivasan View Post
    I agree...Manmadhan Ambu clearly his poorest movie quality wise in recent years. Dasavathaaram comes next, but it can be allowed to pass since it raked the moolah.
    I guess MMA was the reason KSR & Kamal split with that guy 'UStln' going to town saying he didn't like the story.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    -1. MMA is a good movie where Sangeetha, Trisha, Madavan and Kamal got noteworthy performances and its a clean family-romatic-fun entertainer. If someone find the last 15/20 minutes of the movie boring, I could understand. Nevertheless, the whole movie execution is very good. Recently I watched it and the first half just completed before you realize it. Such a feel good plot and KH's screen play and dialogues prove once again why he is unique.
    Comeon Venki .. If someone just cant sit through the last 20 min. of any movie, what was built up initially however good is (even if exceptional - in this case about ok) is lost .. How could the movie then do anything in the BO or WOM ? Thats why it settled where it rightly should as far as BO is concerned. As a fan appreciating it is something different ...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    -1. MMA is a good movie where Sangeetha, Trisha, Madavan and Kamal got noteworthy performances and its a clean family-romatic-fun entertainer. If someone find the last 15/20 minutes of the movie boring, I could understand. Nevertheless, the whole movie execution is very good. Recently I watched it and the first half just completed before you realize it. Such a feel good plot and KH's screen play and dialogues prove once again why he is unique.
    Venki, I never said its a bad movie. If you had noticed, my earlier post talked about MMA being a missed chance to create something special. The comedy stuck out like a sore thumb and I was kind off let down by the light hearted way in which the whole drama was handled in the latter stages.
    “You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill4u View Post
    Comeon Venki .. If someone just cant sit through the last 20 min. of any movie, what was built up initially however good is (even if exceptional - in this case about ok) is lost .. How could the movie then do anything in the BO or WOM ? Thats why it settled where it rightly should as far as BO is concerned. As a fan appreciating it is something different ...
    No, I am not here reviewing MMA from a kamal fan perspective. With the normal parameters we set for any movie watching.. MMA stands with its own merits with respect to screenplay, dialogues and character establishments. Just look at the difference Kamal shown in scripting Sangeetha and Trisha characters. The way both the gals value their life with their ups and downs. Noteworthy. Show me another movie in Tamil to compare such things. I think we talked about many nuances about Kamal's screenplay and settings in the MMA thread during the release. The way Kamal penned the lyrics is a commendable job. Please listen again those bit songs about friendship from that movie. Awesome and captivating. Oorvasi-RameshArvind subplot is so touching and dialogues played a major role in evoking the needed feel. The making of 'Neela Vaanam' is epic. What else you want brother?

// If someone just cant sit through the last 20 min. of any movie, what was built up initially however good is (even if exceptional - in this case about ok) is lost // Not at all. A movie is a group of scenes. Not all the scenes a director kept in a movie needs to attract the audience. You grade a movie good or better or best or worst based on how many scenes on the whole you are very much impressed or how many scenes you do not like. Take the case of "Yuththam Sei". Comparing to the build up Mishkin creates from the very first scene, its climax is not up to the expectation. But Yuththam Sei always a top notch creation from Mishkin.
    Last edited by venkkiram; 25th November 2014 at 01:41 AM.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A movie is a group of scenes. Not all the scenes a director kept in a movie needs to attract the audience. You grade a movie good or better or best or worst based on how many scenes on the whole you are very much impressed or how many scenes you do not like.
    Excellent Venkkiram.

Comming to MMA, mine too is a bit differed from yours and closer to Aravind and Bill4u. But your argument is too good (I should give that to you). Let see how people are going to counter and catch-up with it.

Please continue ... finally an interesting thread & discussion.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I am not here reviewing MMA from a kamal fan perspective. With the normal parameters we set for any movie watching.. MMA stands with its own merits with respect to screenplay, dialogues and character establishments. Just look at the difference Kamal shown in scripting Sangeetha and Trisha characters. The way both the gals value their life with their ups and downs. Noteworthy. Show me another movie in Tamil to compare such things. I think we talked about many nuances about Kamal's screenplay and settings in the MMA thread during the release. The way Kamal penned the lyrics is a commendable job. Please listen again those bit songs about friendship from that movie. Awesome and captivating. Oorvasi-RameshArvind subplot is so touching and dialogues played a major role in evoking the needed feel. The making of 'Neela Vaanam' is epic. What else you want brother?

// If someone just cant sit through the last 20 min. of any movie, what was built up initially however good is (even if exceptional - in this case about ok) is lost // Not at all. A movie is a group of scenes. Not all the scenes a director kept in a movie needs to attract the audience. You grade a movie good or better or best or worst based on how many scenes on the whole you are very much impressed or how many scenes you do not like. Take the case of "Yuththam Sei". Comparing to the build up Mishkin creates from the very first scene, its climax is not up to the expectation. But Yuththam Sei always a top notch creation from Mishkin.
    Venki,

While the talk was about BoxOffice and critically acclaimed movies, this movie fails to achieve either of their respective parameters. Reason - despite a reasonable plot independently stitched together with the quality scenes as you describe, the end product falls flat. Why ? Because the screen play is sort of loose and not tightly maintained/coherent all through. Most movie watchers go for the entire package ... And not specifically selective great scenes here and there. It may have the merits and brilliance that Kamal put together but shouldn't we look at how the bridge stands and serves on the river rather than how nice and sturdy some of the quality of the materials are made ? While its just fine to appreciate and enjoy the nuances you describe, the final product should be tailored elegantly for most of the audience, imo. KH said in an interview after the movie when asked if the box office mattered to him - He said 'I wish every movie that I make a box office success' To that end, it couldn't achieve its target.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill4u View Post
    Venki,

While the talk was about BoxOffice and critically acclaimed movies, this movie fails to achieve either of their respective parameters. Reason - despite a reasonable plot independently stitched together with the quality scenes as you describe, the end product falls flat. Why ? Because the screen play is sort of loose and not tightly maintained/coherent all through. Most movie watchers go for the entire package ... And not specifically selective great scenes here and there. It may have the merits and brilliance that Kamal put together but shouldn't we look at how the bridge stands and serves on the river rather than how nice and sturdy some of the quality of the materials are made ? While its just fine to appreciate and enjoy the nuances you describe, the final product should be tailored elegantly for most of the audience, imo. KH said in an interview after the movie when asked if the box office mattered to him - He said 'I wish every movie that I make a box office success' To that end, it couldn't achieve its target.
    Nick statement is superb.. "As long as Kamal & investors are happy with the returns, I call that a success. Else, it is loss."
    But i dont want Kamal to give movies like MX and MMA which is neither here nor there..If he wants to give movies for commercial success then dont use live recording,confused plot like in last 20 mins of MMA..AS,MMKR is great example of excellent commercial movie made diffierently with clear recording,superb acting with body language,no confusion in comedy scenes and also witty/intelligent..

I watched MMA with family and no-one liked the movie except my wife..The strange thing is apart from my wife everyone were kamal fans..My wife is rajni fan and she liked it very much..Before marriage i watched Mumbai express with whole family,again no-one liked the movie except me..The fact is we as core kamal fan were planning to go with family for kamal light hearted movie than serious experimental,hard-hitting movies like Vishwaroopam,Virumaandi(10A is exceptional) but last few light hearted movies MX,MMA were not upto the mark and infact he is more losing the family audience..however dasavatharam,UPO helped him somewhat..kamal has equal amount of old age fans like rajni or even more because most of sivaji fans are kamal fans but all MGR fans are not rajni fans,they are 50-50..
    I watched dhrisyam recently and i feel papanasam should release first,This time i can assure the whole of my family will just love the movie and my mom will talk to neighbour papanasam is excellent movie,blah,blah..There are many old women,men above 50 years of age still love to see kamalhaasan movies but kamal is not giving the right movies for them to cherish..Papanasam will cherish them..TN family audience will just love the movie not because its a family movie with thriller but seeing kamalhaasan in family avatar is like once in a decade..
    With that momentum he can release Uthama villain next as we feel the BO expectation is 50-50,success of papanasam with family audience expectation will help..No need to bother about vishwaroopam-2 BO success as its having own fan base after Vishwaroopam-1 and Aascar ravi to promote vigorously.
    Last edited by USV; 25th November 2014 at 04:15 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing puzzles me no end.

The media forever tries to downplay the BO success of Kamal's films or even his commercial viability to such an extent, as if every movie of his has been turning up huge losses.

simple straightforward logic : if a series of products with a certain brand name continues to fail in the marketplace, no matter what the brand name is, it will bite the dust.

but Kamal has been giving films regularly and that in itself should negate the BO failure claims of a biased media.

Strictly from a commercial point of view, his films are definitely doing more than just breaking even, given that producers are willing to finance him over and over again.

10. Likes avavh3 liked this post
    Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post

The media forever tries to downplay the BO success of Kamal's films or even his commercial viability to such an extent, as if every movie of his has been turning up huge losses.

simple straightforward logic : if a series of products with a certain brand name continues to fail in the marketplace, no matter what the brand name is, it will bite the dust.

but Kamal has been giving films regularly and that in itself should negate the BO failure claims of a biased media.

Strictly from a commercial point of view, his films are definitely doing more than just breaking even, given that producers are willing to finance him over and over again.
    True!! Many willing to produce him/direct him.During Vishwaroopam audio launch murugadoss,dharani,lingusamy were willing to direct him and many producers willing to produce his film..but kamal doesn't accept the request as he feels many producers will not allow him to make movie with liberty..

Junior Member Devoted Hubber pushpak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post

Very recently in a malayalam channel program on Kamal, the guy says :
    "...... Kamal tried a big experiment in Dasavatharam though it failed.... "
    " .... Viswaroopam was made with a lot of challenges.. inspite of all hurdles, it turned out profitable..."
    I am sure this guy is not "biased", but how come such a perception is getting created !

They never use "block buster" or "record breaking" kind of statements !!
    Best of luck - dear Tamil Film Industry ! ! !