Thread: Favourite Films of 2013

Threaded View

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Favourite Films of 2013

Finally, here is a list of MY TOP 10 movies released in 2013 which kept me thoroughly gripped and entertained :

- Soodhu Kavvum
    - Paradesi
    - Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum
    - Neram
    - Haridas
    - Thanga Meenkal
    - Moodar Koodam
    - Vishwaroopam
    - Idharkuthane Aasaipattai Balakumara
    - Masani

Attempts worth mentioning, even though it may have failed to impress. There was "something" to talk about in these movies :

- Mathil Mel Poonai
    A rare genre in TFI. Just for the attempt, it should be welcomed. If they have cut down the violence or atleast captured it realistic, it could have done wonders for the film.

- Kutti Puli
    They should have got a story and put the violence inside it, but they worked on reverse, like - "Hero should slit the throat - why - here we can tell something and they will accept" - kind of movie. But the village backdrop was quite impressive.

A genre quite rare in TFI. The problem is that it misses the crispness. Crispness is not weighed by the duration of the film, but how it advances. The movie was like a mountain ride with many ups and down moments tiring the viewership, but indeed a welcome attempt that Shyam's unneeded getup change was atleast noted.

- Kadal
    MR had the right ingredients in the movie, but the sad part is that its not only old school but his visual narrative did not reach the audience.

- Aadhi Bhagavan
    Caught between mainstream and realistic cinema, Ameer flattered a lot. If he had concentrated in any one aspect of the film, it would have been on the top list, but he tried to make a concentration of many thing which drained the movie making Ravi's daring and phenomenal attempt an Epic failure.

- David
    The hindi version was more engaging towards the end, but still I consider the Tamil version a fresh attempt in narration, which ofcoarse back fired.

- Ivan Veramathiri
    Where it lost my interest is still a mystery to me. A unique representation of the story and some excellent stunts should be appreciated.

- Madha Yaanai Koottam
    Orula oru perusu sethupochi (1st half) - Ourla elarom sethu poranga (2nd half). That's the thing which made the film not so unique. Many ideas went into filming and has some mind blowing performance, but after a while it seemed as though riding a horse in a fat pot. Liked the whole village episodes and the fast narration/cutting using the village band at the death-house.

- Thagaraaru
    Again a good tale told using as many cliches possible which certainly does not take away your interest. But even though I appreciate the attempt, I did not get the wholesome feel after watching it.

- Sundaattam
    A very good backbone story - gang war. Liked the whole premiss, new faces, the slang etc., but what they did was wrongly mixing the sports genre with gang violence leaving you hanging there not knowing whats happening. Indeed a good attempt on gang war and carom.

- Mariyan
    A fully wasted attempt placing the bets only on visuals. If the romance-thriller was well distinguished, it could have been a interesting watch. Misses the punch.

I just liked these movies :
    - Arrambam
    - Jannal Oram
    - Biriyani
    - Singam 2
    - Kanna Laddu Thina Asaiya

Spl. Mention
    - Vidiyum Munn
    - Irandaam Ulagam
    - Sutta Kadhai
    (I have not yet watched Thalaimuraigal)

Altogether a fabulous year for TFI in film making. Just need a little more push and sharpness to get represented in International Film Festivals and take our glorious story telling techniques world-wide. 2014 looks quite promising too, entertainment all the way.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement