Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Paasa Malar for Human Values

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber RAGHAVENDRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Paasa Malar for Human Values

Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan's films serve as a reference material for Human Values, Social responsibilities, besides personal sufferings with the solutions, etc. Any problem that a family faces today in the Indian Subcontinent, viz. Tamil Nadu, is dealt with in his films.

More so particularly the film Paasa Malar is concerned. The clash of ego and affection, mental / psychological imbalances, perceptions of mankind, every thing is here to refer.

The film Paasa Malar is a different one and can not be written of just as a brother-sister relationship. It has more than that.
    THE YOUNGER GENERATION HAS MANY THING TO LEARN FROM THIS FILM BOTH IN ITS CONTENT AND FORM.
    IT IS NOT JUST ANOTHER BLACK AND WHITE BUT A REAL CLASSIC.

This film is in the process of digitization and would be screened soon. This thread will explain why the new generation should watch this, along with different perceptions from fans and analysts.

To begin with, the ad that appeared in today's Daily Thanthi edition (all Tamil Nadu except Chennai). Image courtesy: Neyveli Vasudevan.

We would like even those who do not know Tamil, to learn more about this film. Hence if our points are explained in English it will be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by RAGHAVENDRA; 8th March 2013 at 12:17 PM.
    விமர்சனங்களுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்ட இறைவன் நடிகர் திலகம்.. கடலின் ஆழத்தை அளந்து விடலாம். நடிகர் திலகத்தின் செல்வாக்கை அளக்க முடியாது... அது பயனளிக்கும் போது தான் அதன் ஆழம் புரியும்....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mr Raghavendra Sir for opening a new thread for
    Pasamalar.

Junior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    even now the punch dialogue remains ' enna periya pasamalar sivaji saavithriya paasam pongi vazhiyarathukku'? to establish this movie as the bench mark for the immaculate brother-sister relationship . Never before and never again can any other movie depict this relationship as PAASAMALAR did. All filmy entertainment aspects like comedy, songs, pathos... in right mix in this Kottarakkara's novel flick that has made NT the unshaken icon of Tamil Cinema.Each and every frame we live with NT and feel sharing all his feelings and emotions with our hearts becoming heavy as in Karnan's climax. A movie not to be missed by the present generation to uphold the human values! My heart felt thanks Raghavendra Sir. Black and white is the apt environment to enjoy this movie

Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    வாழ்த்துகள் ராகவேந்திரா அவர்களே..

கர்ஜனை மீட்ட கர்ணன், வாகை சூடிய வசந்தமாளிகை வரிசையில் இந்த பாச பூஜைக்கு முதல் உதாரணமான பவித்திர மலரும் வெற்றித்திரி ஆகும்..
    நடிகர்திலகத்தின் நிரந்தர ரசிகன்

Post Thanks / Like
    as VM rocket has been launched in its projectile properly now it is time we concentrated on Paasamalar's release. A movie that requires no much trimming and remains absorbing for its story content and narration in the inimitable style of NT with apt support from Savithri and GG. A change to the eyes from color to B/W!

Post Thanks / Like
    PAASA MALAR - FIRST FILM FOR ARURDOSS WITH NADIGAR THILAGAM. INTRODUCED BY GEMINI GANESAN TO NT AND THE REST IS HISTORY.

WHAT WIKIPEDIA SAYS ABOUT PAASAMALAR?

PLOT
    The film follows the life and travails of Raju (Sivaji Ganesan), Radha (Savitri) and Anandan (Gemini Ganesan). Raju and Radha are orphans who lose their mother at a very young age. Raju loves his sister very much and raises her very dearly. Raju and Anandan work in the local mill and become fast friends when Anandan bails Raju out of trouble with the Mill foreman. Anandan and Radha fall in love and their love affair continues unknown to Raju.

Anandan who is a union leader makes Raju join the union much against his wishes. The workers call a strike at the mill and this leads to Raju losing his job. Raju is very worried as to how he is going to support the family when Radha comes up with 1000 rupees that she has saved. Raju is amazed and overcomes his initial anger at Radha for having worked without his knowledge. Radha convinces Raju that they can earn more if they start their own business making dolls and toys for children. Raju and Radha make it big in the toy business, the local mill owner who is unable to run the mill offers the mill to raju and asks him to buy him out. Raju reluctantly agrees to take over the mill and becomes its owner. Raju is shown receiving education from a teacher and becomes much more sophisticated.

Meanwhile Anandan and Radha are married, and her in-laws are very greedy towards Raju's wealth. They treat Radha badly, which culminates with Raju giving his entire wealth to them. Finally, Raju gets bedridden and he dies in poverty. Radha comes to see his dead-body on funeral, and cries hugging him, and dies in the same position.
    TO READ MORE
    விமர்சனங்களுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்ட இறைவன் நடிகர் திலகம்.. கடலின் ஆழத்தை அளந்து விடலாம். நடிகர் திலகத்தின் செல்வாக்கை அளக்க முடியாது... அது பயனளிக்கும் போது தான் அதன் ஆழம் புரியும்....

Post Thanks / Like
    A write up early by our hubber Mohan Rangan as early as in June 2008 is worth a reminiscence here:

PAASA MALAR

Rajamani Pictures – Released in 1961.

Produced by M.R. Santhanam (Actor, director Santanabharathy’s father. He also plays Thangavelu’s father-in-law character in the film) & K.Mohan (Mohan Arts – a famous cine banner artist company)
    Story : Kottarakkara ; Cinematography : G. Vittal Rao
    Dialogues : Aroordas
    Music : Viswanathan & Ramamurthy
    Playback singers : T.M. Sounderarajan, P. Susheela, P.B. Srinivas, Jamuna Rani & L.R.Eswari

Screenplay – Direction : A. Bhimsingh

CAST :

Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan, Nadigayar Thilagam Savithri, Gemini Ganesh, M.N. Nambiar, K.A. Thangavelu, M.N. Rajam, B.Saroja, P.S. Gnyanam & others

[html:507fcb69e9]

[/html:507fcb69e9]

First of all I don’t know from where I got the guts to even start to write about this great classic. Many of my senior hubbers here possess great knowledge about NT & this film whereas I start to write about this film just for one reason – I LOVE THIS FILM and I wanted to share it with everybody. So, if you find any mistakes (obviously you would find many) please forgive me and don’t hesitate to highlight the same.

BRIEF STATISTICS ABOUT NT WITH REGARDS TO THIS FILM : NT was born in 1928. So, he was just 33 years old during the release of Paasa Malar !!!. But amazingly, it was is 69th film !!! (Parasakthi was released in 1951) ; 68 films in just 9 years !!! The role of Rajasekar demands abundant acting skills. Fortunately, it fell into the golden hands of a young & talented Sivaji Ganesan, and the rest is history.

MY EXPERIENCE : Recently also saw it in DVD for the nth time and it never failed to induce the same magic as it would do for every viewing. First time I saw it in theatre (re-release, of course) when I was in my early twenties. I was cautioned by some well wishers !!! that it’s an அழுமூஞ்சி film, and that the audience come out of theatre with a wet hand kerchief. But, ignoring those scare mongers, I went on to watch the film, purely because of my penchant for black & white film, especially that of NT’s. I was contented with the film, though I failed to notice the nuances. But upon repeated viewing over the years, I will confidantly proclaim that Paasa Malar is on of THE BEST tamil films ever made. It’s a master-piece, a classic, a cult film….and what not ???

STORY : The story, which is neatly woven with all the required emotional intricacies, is about a brother & sister who lived and sacrificed their lives for each other. This significant factor is well established in the very beginning itself by showing a statuette of a boy affectionately hugging his sister in his arms. The children, Raju & Radha played (lived, to be precise) by two great actors, Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan & Nadigayar Thilagam Savithri become orphans after losing their mother. After they grow, Raju becomes a worker in a mill and his sister helps him at home and they live happily. One day, Anandan (played by Gemini Ganesan), also working in the same mill, saves Radha from a mishap. This largely impresses Raju and they both become good friends. Meanwhile, Anandan is attracted towards Radha and also manages to win her heart. Anandan is a self-made person and can never take things for granted when it comes to his self-respect. He sort of carry revolutionary ideas laced with communism, whereas, Raju is more self-centered and lives only for the welfare of his sister. Though they are poles apart in their ideologies, they remain to be good friends.

At one point of time, Anandan, who lives with his aunt & her son Chengalvarayan (played by K.A. Thangavelu), leaves the town to attend a family litigation. During this short period Raju & Radha become rich. Yes, the mill owner, who is very much impressed by Raju’s diligence & sincerity, requests him to take over his mill. Though, initially Raju hesitates later gets ready for the challenge and through his commendable hard-working nature increased the profit column in his balance sheet.

When Anandan returns, he feels happy for his friend and goes to meet him in his office and asks for a job in the same mill. Raju is hesitant for a while (in,fact he doesn’t like this proposal at all) but concedes to Anand’s obligation later.

After a series of events, Anandan weds Radha with everybody’s consent & Raju gets married to Nambiar’s sister M.N.Rajam. Anand comes to live in Raju’s house alongwith his aunt & cousin, as requested by Raju. Now, fate plays spoil sport in the form of Aandan’s “athai”. This old lady, (excellent portrayal by Smt.P.S.Gnyanam – no way she would have escaped from the wrath of each & every audience in those days) always sounds scornful & obnoxious. She cunningly hatches a series of plots against Raju & Radha and is a major source to cause a big rift between the two. She succeeds in her evil deeds and separate the families. Unknowingly, Anandan becomes a scapegoat for all her actions.

Meanwhile, Raju is gifted with a boy & Radha, with a girl. Raju’s wife leaves abroad to continue her higher studies. Living without his sister causes great pain to Raju, so he transfers his entire property and without a word to anyone, leaves for pilgrimage with his son and a loyal servant. Upon knowing this, Radha too falls in deep despair.

After a few years, Raju returns completely shattered both physically & morally. Unfortunately he meets with a fire accident in the process of saving a child, who incidentally happened to be his sister’s daughter. Raju loses his eyesight. When Raju & Radha meet finally, the restrained love and affection that has been suppressed for all these years, gushes out.

Now comes one of the most moving and emotional climax tamil film has ever seen. Every aspect like performance, dialogues, music & direction will be appropriately blended in a fine manner.

As the two noble souls exhange their love and affection for each other, Raju, in a moment of frenzy, gets up and jumps in joy. As he is already in a battered form, this over-excitement of his, results in a series of strong convulsions and the great man falls down leaving his last breath. Radha is shell shocked after seeing her loving brother falling dead in front of her eyes, also falls by his side and follows him to heaven.

DIALOGUES : Dialogues by Aroordas played a very significant role in this film and is truly praiseworthy. Not pure Senthamizh dialogues, just simple, yet powerful ones that penetrates deep into your hearts, builds a throne, and sits there majestically. Especially the one’s which comes in the climax – even the most stone hearted person can’t help but break down. To savour a few of them….

எத்தனையோ வீட்ல விளக்கேத்திவச்ச உங்களுக்கா இந்த உலகம இருட்டாயிடுச்சி. அண்ணா வைரம் போல ஜொலிச்சு விரோதியையும் வசீகரிக்கக் கூடிய உங்க கண்ணு எங்கே நீங்க மௌணமா இருந்தாலும் ஆயிரமாயிரம அன்புக் கதைகளை எனக்குச் சொல்லுமே அந்த அழகுக் கண்கள் எங்கேண்ணா..

உன்னையும் என்னையும் எந்த விதி பிரிச்சுதோ அதே விதிதாம்மா என் கண்ணையும் பரிச்சுது.

..அப்போ உனக்கு ஒரு வயசு, சின்னக் குழந்த, எனக்கு பத்து வயசு. நீ அழுதுகிட்டே இருப்ப, உன்ன என் மடியிலேயே உக்கார வச்சிகிட்டு கைவீசம்மா கைவீசு, கடைக்கி போகலாம் கைவீசு முட்டாய் வாங்கலாம கைவீசு.

உன் பேர் என்னம்மா, சாந்தி - வாழ்க்கையில எனக்கு கிடைக்காதத உங்கம்மா உனக்கு பேரா வெச்சிருக்காளா

My eyes are filled with tears even as I write this…I’ve even heard that the cameraman, while shooting the climax, dropped the camera and broke down after watching the splendid performance by both the NT’s.

SONGS :

1) Anbu malar, aasai malar : A short song during the title which helps you to prepare yourself for the journey

2) Malargalaippol thangai : Evergreen classic.

3) Engalukkum kaalam varum

4) Yaar yaar yaar aval yaaro

5) Paattondru kaetten

6) Vaarayen thozhi :

7) Mayangugiraal oru maadhu

8) Malarndhum malaraadha : I feel a lump in my throat even as I just utter the first few lines of this song……” Siragil enai moodi arumai magal pola valartha kadhai sollava, kanavil ninayadha kaalam idai vandhu piritha kadhai sollava…..” (VR, Susheela amma, Kaviyarasar & NT Savithri amma – just no words to explain my feelings…)
    “ Kannin mani pola maniyin nizhal pola kalandhu thirindhomada, indha mannum kadal vaanum vandhu maraithalum pirikka mudiyaadhada..”

SCENES THAT DESERVE SPECIAL MENTION : I might have missed out many other great scenes, but giving a few that warrants special mention.

1) The scene where Anandan alongwith a few workers, confronts with Raju in his cabin. The way in which Raju deftly ignores Anandan & his team is a treat to watch. NT at his best.
    2) Anandan comes to greet Radha on her birthday and is caught by Raju. The wordy dual flames up and ends up in an exchange of blows in a closed room. One terrific scene indeed, where you can find a raging NT losing his temper and at the same time maintaining his status as well.
    3) The garden scene, where NT happens to over hear the conversation between Gemini & Savithri
    4) The scene where Nambiar objects NT for giving away his entire property to his sister. In split seconds his facial expressions will change and shoot at Nambiar saying, “ Mr Bhaskar, idhu en soththu vishayam sondha vishayam….” Class.
    5) My favourite climax scene. Just see it, to get dissolved in it.

To conclude, let me say PAASA MALAR is a rare gem in the crown of Tamil Cinema.

In the process of glorifying the film, I have made it as a very lengthy post. Thanks for one and all who have read this patiently.
    Date of Posting: 16.06.2008
    Link for the Post: http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...l=1#post304273

Thank you Rangan

Post Thanks / Like
    P_R 's note on Rangan's write up

Very good post rangan_08. The extent to which you enjoyed the film is evident in the post. I owe the film a revisit as I am able to recall only a subset of the best-scenes you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    What I did not digest was IMPRACTICABLE love between sis and bro. It overrides any other passion or love. I mean ONCE u marry off ur sister, atleast in olden days, where joint family system prevailed, its better off to keep a distance and shower MORE LOVE. I felt technically those 2 characters lacked reality.
    This doomed nature of the relationship makes it all the more attractive.

There is fantastic poem by AK Ramanujan titled "Love Poem to a Wife".

It starts with the most romantic lines :

“Really what keeps us apart at the end of years
    is unshared childhood.”

I can't imagine a better line that captures the truth of that statement. The poet.narrator's wife is easily the most important person in his life (and he in hers). And over the years this will go on to be the case more and more. But none of that will change the fact they did spend an important part of their lives without knowing each other existed. What more they spent it with companions one will feel justifiably envious over.

The poem itself is presented over an evening where his wife and her brother discuss the details of their childhood home. The narrator and his sister-in-law (wife'e brother's wife) watch on mutely as the most important person in their life shares a passionate memory with someone else than themselves.
    It a fantastic moment not without a natural gnawing jealousy borne out of love.

The poem proceeds to use rather controversial allegories but it is employed beautifully. So I won't quote further....thEdi padichikkOnga

Anyway I digress..... I present this poem as an example not just of a relationship doomed by a combination of precticality and present social mores. That is exactly what makes it beautiful in this film IMO.

Their separation is eventual so they should have met it with moderation and dignity - is all easier said than done. Appidi paarthA even death is eventual - can it be faced with equanimity ?

The bricks and canes are not for you, it is only for the notion that relationships can always be guided by logic.
    Link for Prabhu's Post: http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...l=1#post304281

Post Thanks / Like
    In this era of erratic human relationships, loss of passions, keeping a busybee life.... Pasamalar will be a relief to help resume human relationships. It is not totally a weeping movie. It has the right mix of entertainment with emotions. It is the benchmark and polestar movie to depict the immaculate brother-sister relationship. Whenever we think of NT Pasamalar image surfaces even above Karnan! The movie is so famous for his still pose photo rather than the entire movie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update

Release likely in the first week of MAY 2013, of course unconfirmed.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast