Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Consider IR Unparalleled

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopal,S. View Post
    சரி சார். glorification ,sycophancy ரொம்ப ரொம்ப தூரம் செல்வதால் என் சிற்றுரையை முடித்து விடுகிறேன்.
    தூற்றனும் என முன்முடிவு செய்துவிட்டு ஒன்றன் பின் ஒன்றாக பதிவிடுகிறீர்கள். இசையும், இசை உருவாக்கத்திற்கான பின்புலத்தின் மீதான அடிப்படை அறிவும் மேலோங்கி இருப்பதாக கருதி ஒருவரை இங்கே சிலாகிக்க முனையும்போது என்ன தவறு? ஒரு சாதாரண இசையமைப்பாளர் ஒரு சுமாரான மெலடி தருகிறார். அப்பாடலுக்கான பின்னணி இசையை சொதப்பியும் மெலடியால் பேசப்படுகிறார் என வைத்துக் கொள்வோம். அவருடைய ஆக்கத்தினை "பேஷ்! பேஷ்! சிறப்பாக இருக்கிறது! அருமையான இருக்கிறது! கேட்பதற்கு இன்பமாக இருக்கிறது! " எனப் புகழ்கிறொமென வைத்துக் கொள்வோம். அப்போ ராசைய்யாவின் ஆக்கங்களை என்னவாறு பாராட்டுவது? நமது பண்பாட்டின் தவறே அதுதான். இருக்கிற அட்ஜெக்டிவையெல்லாம் தேவையில்லாத இடத்தில் பயன்படுத்தி, சிலாகிக்க வேண்டிய ஒன்றிற்கு தேவையான பதங்களை ஒதுக்குவதில்லை..
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    5)இவர் தன்னை நம் மண் பாரம்பரிய இசை பிரும்மங்களோடு இணைத்து கொள்ள விரும்பினாரா அல்லது மொசார்ட் ,பீத்தோவன் நகலாக விரும்பினாரா?
    ரொம்ப பலகீனமான கேள்வி. இப்படி கேள்வி கேட்பவர்கள் ராசைய்யாவின் இசையை எப்படி மேம்போக்காக அணுகியிருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதையே வெளிக்காட்டுகிறது. மொசார்ட் ,பீத்தோவன்.. இவர்களுக்கு முந்தைய காலத்து பாஹ் என எல்லோரிடமிருந்தும் கற்றுக்கொண்டு அப்படியே நகலேடுக்கவில்லை. அதை நம் திரைப்பட சூழ்நிலைகளுக்கு தேவையான உணர்வுகளைப் படைக்க மிகச் சிறப்பாக இசையமைத்தார்.

திரு விக்கியின் பழையதொரு பதிவு.. (year : 2003)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

A small correction if I may.. The song 'Maha Rajan-odu' is not based on Maya malava Gowlai but one of the beautiful Sarasangi's of Raaja. sarasangi is 90% same as Maya malava Gowlai except that it has a big Ri while Maya malava Gowlai has a Small ri.

Since you've specified ‘Alla un aanai padi’ song under this raga, I’m encouraged to share something about this song with you all. Its about the Prelude Sax piece of this Song. This part is a proof about Raaja’s level of understanding Music.. You keep hearing from him that “Music is one.. sawaras are one in all forms of Music”.. etc etc… Its because of such ideas that come to him that he says so…. I guess all Indian composers should openly admit Raaja’s supremacy about his understanding of what a ‘note’ or ‘scale’ mean. ( I mean swara or Shruthi). He really understand it at the same level of how the one who invented such concepts..

Let me come to the rationale behind all my superlative claims. This song ‘Allah un Aanai padi’ is set in pure maya malava gowlai.(I’ll abbreviate it as mmg). No point in time, the main melody thro’ out the song has a note outside mmg. The song scale is E major. (What I mean is, note E is the Sa for this song or in other words Shruthi of this song is ‘Moonu (3) kattai’). The song starts with a ‘Ohm’… But for this part E flat Major is the song scale. If you want, this ‘ohm’ part can be treated as either ‘Ni…. Sa….Ni’ in E major scale. But actually its ‘Sa…. Ri….Sa’ in E flat major scale(2.5 kattai shruthi). That means when some one first hears the song, he would assume the shruthi of the song is ‘rendra kattai’ without knowing what is there to follow. (I was such a victim !!!) If this is too much to digest, the crown comes during the start of the Sax piece.

We already discussed enough and more about how to form western chords inside carnatic scales long back in this forum when I had the opportunity to answer few queries of Mr.RS Balaji. We need to go back to them now. In mmg if you played the notes Ga + Dha + Ni you get another perfect major chord. For instance in this case, When you play Ga + Dha + Ni in E Major, You get G# Major chord. The sax piece that we were talking about starts after 4 bars of Rhythm once the ‘Ohm’ is over. But as and when 2 bars of the beat is over, a mild soft chord starts. This chord is G# Major.. (Or 6.5 kattai shruthi)… Sure enough.. shortly the sax piece starts with G# Major as the scale. If you want you can technically decode the starting of the sax piece as ‘ Pa Dha .. Pa Dha in the E major scale.. But actually it sounds Ri Ga.. Ri Ga.. in G# scale. I go crazy now… Luckily to my relief, a short veena piece comes and finishes the prelude as ‘Ga Pa ga ri Sa’ with the Sa as the note ‘E’ which remains the song scale for the rest of the portion..

If you want me to summarize in nutshell what happened, The Song started with D# (D# is same as E Flat) as scale.. Then the sax piece assumed G# as the scale and the song assumes E as the scale. In western perspective if you see, its very well common to increase the scale of a song (Typically towards the end) by half a note and continue singing with that. So that explains how a song in D# scale can switch to E. Also G# is a sub-chord in D# scale. So its very much explained how a G# chord still sounded very much in tune. Because the song started in D# and it switched from that base.

If you see from Carnatic perspective, all thro’ the prelude the notes used in the melody are in pakka mmg. So never the song sounds ‘abaswaram’.

Now coming to the combination of both the forms of music, Every other Indian composer who composes a song in mmg is forced to set chords and bass and western notes.. You will find every other composer invariably uses the combination of following chords if a song is composed in mmg: E, Am and G# minor (assuming the scale is E). No one dares to use G# major in a mmg song thou’ its still formed with notes of mmg scale. Because G# major really sounds little odd in the combination of other 3 chords). I guess Raaja is the only composer to use G# major effectively in a mmg song…

No ordinary musician can do this. To do this, you must understand western music to the level of Beethoven and carnatic music to the level of ‘Thyagaraja’. (This may seem an atrocious comparison to many.. But I guess I’ve justified it!!) This is the reason why I used so much of superlatives.

I really wonder how many of you really understood what I wrote. (You really need a Keyboard or a guitar or a melody instrument to infer what I’ve written). Please excuse me if it appeared too technical.

With Love - Vicky

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by venkkiram; 19th July 2014 at 06:26 PM.

4. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Likes Russellhaj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    மேற்கத்திய பீத்தோவன் இசை வடிவத்தை உள்வாங்கி நமது நாட்டுப்புற இசையில் கலந்து கொடுத்து நாம் கேட்கும் இசை நாட்டுப்புற இசை மட்டுமல்ல, மேற்கத்திய செவ்வியல் இசையும் கலந்திருக்கிறது என்ற உணர்வே தெரியாத வகையில் நெய்து கொடுப்பவர் ராசைய்யா.

Last edited by venkkiram; 19th July 2014 at 06:28 PM.

6. Likes Russellhaj liked this post
    Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I don't see why Ilayaraja's brilliance in combining Western and Indian music shouldn't be mentioned in reasoning why he is unparalleled. That is precisely why he is unparalleled. Personal tastes may vary for individuals and not even IR nor anybody else for that matter can cater to every palate. But no other music director, no not even Rahman, has managed to combine both divergent schools of music with the depth that IR could achieve. For other music directors, the blend of Indian and Western was usually casual at best. Take the old Hindi songs where interludes with lots of violin would suddenly make way for a ghazal-based antara without resolution. For IR, it was and is a philosophy. I can say quite confidently that most people in India who wish to opine that IR is overhyped are not very much interested in Western music. And if one is indifferent to Western music, one can understand only half of his music because it is as important a part of his music as his Indian side. That one may still hail him with the best of superlatives available in English or Tamil is incidental. The very words "significant contribution in BGM AND re-recording" give it away, sorry. First, learn to use words like arrangements, chords, harmony. Everything playing in the background is not BGM (and therefore meant to be ignored). In Western, the chords/riffs are an integral part of the composition to the like extent as the vocal parts and that is the philosophy Ilayaraja also follows. If you focus only on the tune, you cannot appreciate his compositions to the fullest extent and that you cannot is not his fault (and does not somehow make him inferior).
    Last edited by crimson king; 19th July 2014 at 06:44 PM.

8. Thanks venkkiram thanked for this post
    Likes mappi, venkkiram, Russellhaj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    தொகையறா, விருத்தம், ஆலாபனை.. பல்லவி, சரணம், அனுபல்லவி என மெட்டமைப்பது இசை தெரிந்த எல்லோருக்கும் கைவந்தக் கலைதான். ஆனால் திரைப்பாடல்கள் என வரும்போது அது கொடுக்கும் சவால்கள் நிறைய. அதற்கு பல திட்டங்கள் தீட்டணும்.. இந்த பல்லவி-சரணம் டெம்ப்ளேட்டை எப்படி வழங்குவது அதுவும் பாடல் சூழ்நிலைக்கு, கதை நகர்வுக்கு தோள்கொடுக்கும் விதத்தில்.. இதையெல்லாம் ராசைய்யா எப்படி லாவகமாக வெகுஇயல்பாக கையாண்டியிருக்கிறார் என்பதை பலவித பாடலாக்கங்க்களுடன் நிறுவமுடியும். பாடலுக்கான பின்னணி இசை என்பதை கருத்தில் வைக்காமலையே.

மெட்டு போட்டாச்சி. ஆனால் திரைப்படத்தில் பாடுவது ஒரு திக்குவாய். வேறொரு இசையமைப்பாளர் என்றால் டக்குன்னு இயக்குனர் கால்ல உழுந்து "சார் வேற யாராவது பாடுவதுபோல வைத்துக் கொள்ளுங்களேன்!" என அழும்விதத்தில் முறையிட்டுருப்பார். ஆனால் ராஜா என்ற பலசரக்கு அங்காடியில் எதைவேண்டுமானாலும் எப்போது வேணாலும் வாங்கிச் செல்லலாம் நிம்மதியோடு.

மண்வாசனை - அடி மூக்கியர மூக்கம்மா
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...0EpS6Zz8#t=861
    Last edited by venkkiram; 20th July 2014 at 01:47 AM.

10. Likes rajaramsgi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    நாதஸ்வரக்கார நண்பர் என்னிடம் பகிர்ந்துகொண்டது.. "எப்போது ஆகாய வெண்ணிலாவே பாடலை அவர் வாசித்தாலும்அதற்கு ராஜா அமைத்த தாள நடையை மேளக் காரர்கள் கொண்டுவராமல் வேறொரு நடையை வாசிப்பார்கள். நான் வாசிப்பதை நிறுத்தி இப்படித்தான் இப்பாடலுக்கு வாசிக்கணும் எனச் சொல்லி குதிரைக் கடிவாளம் போல பாடல் முழுதும் அவர்களை அழைத்துச் செல்வேன்."

சங்கீதம் தெரிந்த மக்கள் ஏன் ஒரு சாதாரண மேளக் காரருக்கு இதன் தாள நடையை புரிந்து கொள்ள கடினமாக இருக்கிறது எனத் தெரிந்தால் இங்கே பகிர்ந்து கொள்ளலாம்.

Last edited by venkkiram; 20th July 2014 at 12:03 AM.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    தூற்றனும் என முன்முடிவு செய்துவிட்டு ஒன்றன் பின் ஒன்றாக பதிவிடுகிறீர்கள்.
    VenkkiRam,

I was under the impression that I have been discussing all along. If you think I am accusing I stand corrected. Of all the people,why IlayaRaja?
    நெஞ்சமெல்லாம் நிறைந்த நடிகர்களின் நடிகன்.
    http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...hool-of-Acting

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    கவுண்டர்பாயின்ட்
    Amazing.
    Had to listen to it 3 times before shuting my mouth.

The touch is, how the distinct lines forms to become a poem by itself. Time to start a thread - 'IR Padalgalin Varigal' - to dig out more such gems. The point to be noted here apart from music, is the importance he gives to the film maker's intentions elevating further more, more than what the director had in mind and stressing or squeezing out the lyrics to suit and perfect the imagination part into visual reality.

Song : En kanmani un kaathali from Chittukuruvi
    (Lyrics direction as explained by IR)

Male :

En kanmani, Ila maangani, Sirikkinradhaen

Un kadhali, Unaip paarththadum, Sirikkinradhaen

En kanmani, Un kadhali, ila maangani, unaip paarththadum sirikkinradhaen sirikkinradhaen

Female :

En mannavan enai paarthathum kadhai solgiraan

Un kaadhalan oraayiram kadhai solgiraan

En mannavan, un kaadhalan, Enai paarthathum, oraayiram kadhai solgiraan kadhai solgiraan

Hats off to Valli, remembering him through IR song gives me immense pleasure and joy.

Is there any other song(s) like this, irrespective to MD/lyrists, I wish to know more, please ?
    Last edited by mappi; 19th July 2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added Lyrics
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

14. Thanks venkkiram thanked for this post
    Likes venkkiram liked this post
    Junior Member Devoted Hubber rajaramsgi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    சரி சார். glorification ,sycophancy ரொம்ப ரொம்ப தூரம் செல்வதால் என் சிற்றுரையை முடித்து விடுகிறேன்.

மற்றவர்கள் எல்லோருமே,சுற்றியிருக்கும் மண்ணையோ,மக்களையோ,புல் பூண்டுகளையோ காணாது ,இலக்கியம்,மொழி அறியாது,அனுபவங்கள் அற்று, வானத்திலிருந்து தொபீரென்று இருபது வயதில் குதித்து தொழிலை கவனிக்க ஆரம்பிக்கிறோம்.இது அனைத்து இசையமைப்பாளர்களுக்கும் பொருந்தும் ராஜா சாரை தவிர.

போதுமா? convince ஆகி ரொம்ப நேரமாகிறது.

I can understand glorification.. I glorify the man who is a genius, whose music brings peace and happiness in me. I don't see anything wrong with it. He is more than my dad, second to my son. I am very proud to do so.

But what is sycophancy? I tried my best to look at its meaning and can't figure how any of these discussions are related to "
    the act of using flattery to win favour from individuals wielding influence"..

Post Thanks / Like
    VenkkiRam,

I was under the impression that I have been discussing all along. If you think I am accusing I stand corrected. Of all the people,why IlayaRaja?
    மறுபடியும் மொதலேர்ந்தா? "Of all the people, Why சிவாஜி?" ன்னு நான் உங்கள கேள்வி கேட்கப் போறதில்ல.

இசையைப் பத்திப் பேசினா, திடீரென ராசைய்யாவின் தனிப்பட்ட வாழ்க்கை, குணங்களைப் பேசுறீங்க! பின்னணி இசையில் சிறந்தவர் என ஒரு பதிவில் சொல்லிக்கொண்டே மொஸார்ட், பீதொவன்களிடமிருந்து ராஜா நகலெடுக்கிறார் என அடுத்த பதிவில் எதிர்மறையாக சொல்றிங்க. அப்புறம் நீங்களாகவே ராஜா எந்த இடத்தில் இருக்கிறார் என வரிசையும் படுத்திறிங்க.. எனக்கு அயற்சிதான் மேலோங்குது.

சினிமா என எடுத்துக் கொண்டால்..எந்த ஒரு சிறந்த படைப்பாக இருந்தாலும் மற்ற எல்லாக் கலைஞர்களின் பங்களிப்பைக் காட்டிலும் இசைப் பணியாக ராஜாவின் உழைப்பு பெரியதாக நிற்கிறது, காலம் கடந்து பேசப்படுகிறது. எளிதாக மறந்துபோகக் கூடிய பலநூறு படைப்புக்கள் ராசைய்யாவின் பாடல்கள் என்ற ஒரே காரணத்திற்காகவே இன்றும் நினைவில் நின்று பேசப்படுகிறது.

சினிமா தவிர்த்து ராசைய்யாவின் பங்களிப்புகள் (பக்தி மார்க்கம், மற்றும் சாஸ்திரிய இசையில் அவரது முயற்சிகள் ) உணர்வு ரீதியிலும், இசை நுட்பத்திலும் பிரமாண்டமானவை.

சினிமாவில் யாருமே இதுவரை செய்யாத ஒரு முயற்சி..அதையும் அவர் திறம்பட செய்து வெற்றிகண்டிருக்கிறார். ஹேராம் படத்தில் வேறொரு இசையமைப்பாளர் செய்த பாடலுக்கென்றெ படம்பிடிக்கப் பட்ட காட்சிகள் இவர் கைகளுக்கு வந்தபோது, அவர்களது உதட்டசைவு மற்றும் காட்சிகளுக்குப் பொருந்தும் வகையில் வேறொரு பாடல்களை உருவாக்கித் தந்திருக்கிறார். கமலஹாசன் சொன்னதையே குறிப்பிடணும் என்றால் "ஏடி பூங்கொடி ஏனிந்த பார்வைன்னு பியானோ வாசிச்சிருக்கேன். அதுக்கு சிவகாமி மகனிடம் சேதி சொல்லடின்னு பாட்டு போட்ருக்காரு! சிங்கம் அவரு!"

ஆரம்பம் முதல் இன்றுவரை அவரது குரல் வழி எட்டிப்பார்க்கும் பலதரப் பட்ட உணர்வுகள் முக்கியத்துவம் வாய்ந்தவை. பாடலுக்கு வரிகளை கட்டமைப்பதிலும் சிறந்தவர்.

நான் ஆரம்பத்தில் சொன்னதுதான்.. இதெல்லாம் கிளிப்பிள்ளைக்கு சொல்லி புரியவைக்குமாறு செய்வதே வீண். ராசைய்யா தன்னிகரற்றவர் என்பது தானாகவே உணர்ந்து நிறுவவேண்டியது.

17. Likes mappi, Russellhaj liked this post
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast