Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Consider IR Unparalleled

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Why I Consider IR Unparalleled

I recently was listening to "kalyan raman" and "kadellam pichipoovu" from "Kariyellam Shenbagapoo". I was amazed at the genius of the compositions - the lead guitar, the bass guitar and the seamless blending of western (rock) and folk. In fact, the song "kadellam pichipoo" starts with the lead huitar, followed by base and then by violin in a folk style - the beldning seems so natural. This is just a sample of the brilliance of Raja. I hear the songs that hailed as great by other composers these days and I dont see the same brilliance and fail to understand it. I would call for us to list the IR songs that we think are unparalleled that reflects the genius of our beloved Raja

2. Likes rajaramsgi liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

நன்றி கே.ஆர். இப்பாடலை அறிமுகப்படுத்தி வைத்ததற்கு. முதன்முறையாக கேட்கிறேன். நீங்கள் சொல்வது போல.. கற்பனைக்கே எட்டமுடியாத ஆக்கம் இது. ஆரம்ப இசைக்கும் பல்லவிக்கும் அழகான பாதையொன்று அமைக்க அவரால் எப்படி இந்த வகையில் யோசிக்க முடிந்தது! ராட்சசன்! பிரதாப் போதன் கிடார் வாசிக்கும் பழக்கம் என்ற கதையோட்டத்தின் படி கிடாரை பயன்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார் என நினைக்கிறேன்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was an original Sujatha story that was published weekly on Ananda Vikatan before it was made as a movie. The entire album is available in iTunes

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    while listening to "Kannin maniye" from Manadhil urudhi vendum - the experience of listening to the nuances of a tune like this is difficult to describe !

IR maintains the tension in the protagonist's plight tune in the pallavi/ anupallavi - and the way the charanam develops, the sadness as well as the desire of the protagonist to get out of her situation and also her speaking out for all womenfolk - if Bharatiyar were alive, he would cherish this melody as much as we (I) do !

IR's music so beautifully and appropriately captures the mood and the character's mindset - I cannot think of any other composer who has composed for such a variety of situations and come out with flying colors each time - fidelity is the word!

its a strange situation in Indian cinema - there never was a composer like him and none in sight who can even compose to a given situation, leave alone match his other skills such as orchestration, creativity etc
    Last edited by irir123; 21st August 2013 at 05:30 AM.

7. Likes RR liked this post
    Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think his use of harmony is unlike anybody else in Indian cinema I have heard. He has a distinctive approach to his chords, like a Western composer, and when he combines it with his mastery of raga, it creates something totally unique in music per se.

Specifically, the way he uses bass as a harmonic layer is just brilliant because that is not something that even a lot of rock songwriters do (they prefer to use bass more for rhythm). There are so many examples of this from his numerous compositions, but Raja Raja Cholan is a particular favourite of mine. There are many places in that song where the bass is singing its own tale instead of simply repeating the notes being played on the other melodic instruments but it also fits seamlessly into the puzzle, which is a hallmark of his music per se.

Another thing I love is the way he builds tension in several songs. Songs like Mandram Vandha or Raja Raja Cholan have a silent, steady intensity which always seems to be simmering under the surface instead of boiling over in a melodramatic way (which is the typical approach many composers use). That is again a very Western trait and he somehow accommodates it in raga based compositions.

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree- similarly, the song kodiyethuvom from Pithamagan builds to a crescendo with nadashwaram. Every time I finish hearing that song, you would need a few minutes to recover from that crescendo.

Regarding irir's comments on the mood of the character, the song 'anandham anandham' from Pootadha Pookal - the tune and the orchestration will convey the happiness. Similarly, the song 'Ayya Ayya Do, Naan Appan aanen Doi' from Siva conveys the pride and happiness of a father with a newborn so aptly.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    All about JAZZ.com glorifyingly reviews Maestro. Ilaiyaraaja's NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM !

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/arti...9#.Umb1p1MuegR

Ilaiyaraaja's output is considered and compared with those of Pat Metheny's work with pianist Lyle Mays, the classic Gil Evans, Oliver Nelson instrumentation, and the tempo of Tom Petty !!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    பாரதியின் வரிகளுக்கு இதுவரை திரைப்படங்களில் கொடுக்கப்பட்ட இசைவடிவங்களில் என்னை மிகவும் கவர்ந்ததாக "பாரதி" - ராஜாவை பற்றி சமீபத்தில் இன்னொரு தளத்தில் நான் பகிர்ந்து கொண்டது.

வரிகளுக்கு நிகரான இசைக்குறிப்புகள். அக்னி குஞ்சொன்று கண்டேனில் பாரதியின் ஆழ்மனது கொதிப்புகளை இசையின் போக்கிலேயே கண்டுவிடலாம். கேட்கும் மனதுகளையே அதிர்வுகளுக்கு உண்டாக்கக் கூடிய தாள வாத்தியங்கள். "நின்னைச் சரணடைந்தேன்" - பாரதியின் மனச் சோகத்தை, இயலாமையை, ஆற்றாமையை, பாரம் குறைந்த மனநிலை என பலவிதமான மன ஓட்டங்களை குறிப்பாய் உணர்த்தும் விதத்தில் இயல்பாகவே எடுத்து வைத்து விடுகிறது ராஜாவின் இசைக் குறிப்புக்கள். நிற்பதுவே பாடலின் ஆரம்ப இசையே அழகு. "காண்பதெல்லாம் மறையுமென்றால் மறைந்ததெல்லாம் காண்பமன்றோ?" என்ற வரிகளை ரொம்ப அழகாக ராகத்தின் மீது ஏற்றிவிடுகிறார். "கேளடா மானுட" - திரையிசையில் வந்த புதையல் என்றெ சொல்வேன். ராஜாவின் மெட்டிற்கு பாரதியே எழுதிக் கொடுத்தது போல, அச்சில் வார்த்தது போல வந்து விழுந்த வரிகள், மெட்டு. இரண்டாம் இடையிசையில் வந்த நாதஸ்வரம் என பாரதியோடு ரொம்ப நேர்த்தியாக தாழ்ந்த மக்களை சேர்த்துவிட பாலமாக அமைந்துவிடுகிறது இசை. ஆலாபனை போன்று நீட்டல், கூட்டல் என இல்லாமல் பாடலின் ஒவ்வொரு வரியும் பாரதி எப்படி இந்த சாதி ஏற்றத் தாழ்வுகளை கண்டு மனம்பொங்கி பாடியிருப்பானோ அப்படியே ஒரு பிம்பத்தை இசை கொணர்ந்துவிடுகிறது. "பெண்ணிற்கு ஞானத்தை வைத்தான்" என்ற வரிகளை பயன்படுத்தும் இடத்தில் பாரதியின் குரலுக்கு ஒத்தாக ஒரு பெண்ணின் குரலையும் புகுத்தியது பாடலுக்கே அணி சேர்க்கிறது. முடிவில் முத்தாய்ப்பாக வரும் பாடல் "நல்லதோர் வீணை செய்தேன்". இதை பாரதியின் சவ ஊர்வலத்திற்கெ பயன்படுத்தி விடுகிறார் ராஜா. மனோவும் குழுவினரும் "சொல்லடி சிவசக்தி எனை சுடர்மிகு அறிவுடன் படைத்துவிட்டாய்" எனப் பாடி முடிக்கையில் தொடங்கும் ராஜாவின் "வல்லமை தாராயோ" குரல் எப்போதுமே கண்ணில் நீரை வார்த்துவிடும் சக்தி பெற்றது. பாரதியின் "நல்லதோர் வீணை செய்தேன்" கவிதையை அவரது சவ ஊர்வலத்திற்கெ பயன்படுத்தியது சிறப்பிலும் சிறப்பு.
    Last edited by venkkiram; 27th December 2013 at 09:38 AM.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    மிகவும் அருமையான பதிவு....பாரதி என்ற நல்லதொரு வீணையை நலங்கெட புழுதியில் எறிந்த பாவத்திற்கு நாணி தலை குனிந்து தனது இளைய மகன் ராஜாவையாவது நல்ல இடத்தில் வைக்க வேண்டும் என்று முடிவு கட்டினாள் போல அந்த பாரதி.
    "சுத்த தன்யாசியில்" அமைத்த இந்த பாடலை கேட்கும் போதெல்லாம் அந்த கலைவாணி தன் வீணையுடன் ராஜாவின் மனதில் புகுந்து விட்டாளோ என்று எண்ண வைக்கும் வகையில் நேர்த்தியான இசை....உரிமையில் அழைக்கிறேன்........உயிரிலே கலந்து மகிழ .........வா பொன் மயிலே !!!!

Last edited by poem; 19th January 2014 at 05:45 AM.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more to add (much much more still waiting in the line !!! ) to his glorious crown !! in Ragg "Yamuna Kalyani"

Last edited by poem; 27th December 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast