Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: தேவை ஒரு இனிய தமிழ் பெயர்

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks to all kind hubbers, venkiram, mala, pavalamani akka and raghavendiran sir for your wishes and suggestions.... of the names suggested I liked many of the names suggested but romba pidichathu konjam irukku.. only thing is I wanted to have both a beautiful name and a wonderful meaning for that name I dont think I am expecting too much, since in sanskrit I heard of so much names....so athe maathiri thonmaiyana namma tamil language la ithuvarai naan kettathu, kattrathai vida niraya inimaiyana (both in sounding and in the meaning) words kandippa irukkum nu believe panraen

Another thing is enga ponnu konjam preterm ah piranthathala, she is still in NICU even after around a month, so wishing her well maathiri (either GOD's or recieving , or something that would mean happiness, delight, healthy etc.,) name irukkanum nu aasai padaren

I liked தூவிதா very much.... (is it Thuvitha or Dhuvitha??) தூவி means சிறகு, தூவிதா is சிறகு + தா right? idhai veru maathiri eppadi improvise pannalam? like something that would mean more like a request to GOD to succeed or give health something like that, and also there is a hindi or sanskrit equivalent for this dhuvidha is dilemma it seems, but dhuvitha (which i assume is the spelling) is mentioned as a girl baby name but the meaning is not given anywhere..should search for that as well.......

Next in line is அவிர்மதி which should be அவிர் + மதி bright moon correct ah ? Avir la vera combination try panni paarkalama? to give some meaning like Bright and beautiful அவிர் + Ani (beautiful) or அவிர்யா or something like this

கவின் is good......... but athukku கவின்யா than nalla irukkum ninaikkiran..........I thought of this, but my cousin's daughter's name is கவிநயா, this would sound like that..athanala vittutaen

நனவிதா is also very good, but the meaning in this kural's context is nanavu - which is reality...........so not much impressed by the meaning...and there is one word nana vitha used in vedic mantras and all I feel, not sure of the meaning

குழலினி - I like this name, but overruled by wife

நுதல்யா - Name is good....but meaning wise not impressed much....... நுதல் is forehead thaane?

I thought about நவில்யா , but Navil means "tell", "talk" right? or something to do with this....... so meaning wise not impressed again

To mala madam: I liked your approach very much, like taking words from Thirukkural and other such great tamil literatures which is exactly I wanted to do but could not do much for lack of sufficient knowledge in this Like you said in the other thread, name twisting can be done with any names, I wanted to be cautious only about some straight forward or blatant alter meaning by little twisting thatz all...... Like for eg. the name Rachana with an initial P, it becomes P.Rachana and could sound like Prachana (prachinai)..so antha maathiri......

General Question : what would suffix of -தா -கா -சா -யா would do to words, oru normal, ordinary sounding word kooda intha suffix ah add panna, fashionable name aagidum ninaikkaren..... I would only want to make sure that I am not damaging the word or give a different (unpleasant) meaning to that word
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    தவமணி
    அருட்செல்வி
    நறுமுகை
    சிந்தனா
    அருங்கனி
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    நளாயினி
    வாசவி
    இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rsubras

I liked தூவிதா very much.... (is it Thuvitha or Dhuvitha??) தூவி means சிறகு, தூவிதா is சிறகு + தா right? idhai veru maathiri eppadi improvise pannalam? like something that would mean more like a request to GOD to succeed or give health something like that, and also there is a hindi or sanskrit equivalent for this dhuvidha is dilemma it seems, but dhuvitha (which i assume is the spelling) is mentioned as a girl baby name but the meaning is not given anywhere..should search for that as well.......

தூவிகா (சிறகைக் காத்தருள் என்ற குறிப்புத் தோன்றுகிறது)

தூவினி (இனிச் சிறகுகள் வரும் , இனி அருள் தூவிடும் என்ற குறி)

தூவதி என்பதில் தூவி (சிறகு) இல்லாமல் ஆகிவிடுகிறது. தூயபெண் என்பது குறிப்பாக எழுகிறது. "வதி" என்ற பின்னொட்டுடன் முடிகிறது.

தூவியானி என்பதில் சிறகுகள் ஆன அல்லது அமைந்த பெண் என்பது தோன்றலாயிற்று. சிறகு +யானை என்று பொருள் இரட்டிக்கிறது. தெய்வ யானைக்குச் சிறகு முளைத்ததாகக் கற்பனையில் ஈடுபடலாம்.

தூவியா: இதைச் சுருக்கி தூவ்யா எனலாம்.

இதில் இன்னும்.........?

Our webpals here have also given great sounding names. Liking is more an act of subjectivity.

By the way, derivation of name suffixes:

-kaa < akkaa.
    thA < Aththaa. appaththaa. thAi > thA.
    mA < ammA.
    yA < Ayaa.
    ini = in+ii.
    nA - annai, annA.
    i - female suffix like pappaaththi, (chellAyi, mUkkAyi, kaNNAyi. Ay > Ayi)
    and others.
    Last edited by bis_mala; 17th July 2013 at 09:09 AM.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Post Thanks / Like
    Similar sounding words will keep cropping up in other languages, some of these languages may even be unknown to you and me

Honey sounds like Chinese words : "Hun Nee" and the latter have been given to a Chinese girl as a name.

Arabic words: "al-hidaya" sounds like Sanskrit "hidayam" (heart). Hidaya has been given to a Malay girl as her name.

Arabic words: "Lidiyanatul" has been forged and spelt "Lydiyanatul" and in its shortened form, called as "Lydia" , sounds like an English name.

Aha! Nowadays, people want to have two bites at the cherry, have their names rooting in more than one language, one leg in their own language and the other in an international language if possible......Enjoy more. If your girl's name can be somewhat "internationalised", why worry about it?

Periasamy, an old fashioned name-chap, can also become Mr Perry! If a name affords such facility, why shy away?

Name is a device through which people can communicate with you happily.

"Kathiresan" is trying his best to "duplicate" it like Kathi, then "Cathy', forgetting or deliberately brushing aside that it sounds "kaththi" - knife!!

The hard fact of life is, one day you may have to go out of your own beautiful city or little village, be met by other communities, in building your economic standing.... who knows!

Names also can be "stolen", the moment you have a very nice sounding name for your girl, you may be surprised to hear about a fully grown-up taking a deed poll to change her name to that of your baby!! There is no property in a name.(That means others are free to copy.)

The globe is rotating faster than one may think. Be happy about emerging duplicates (or homonyms) in other languages. There are too many similar sounding words in world languages. Otherwise how do you think our Western linguists come out with the "Proto-world language" theory?

Note: This post does not refer to any real persons carrying the names cited and no offence is meant to anyone by these examples.
    Last edited by bis_mala; 17th July 2013 at 08:36 AM.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Post Thanks / Like
    @ pavalamani

தவமணி is my amma's another name (avanga appa veetu side la koopidarathu)......... since she was born after many many years, thavamirunthu kidaitha maniyana pillai nu thavamani nu peru vachu koopiduvanga..

thanks mexicomeat, vaasavi is a good name..will consider that suggestion
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

Post Thanks / Like
    @bis_mala

தூவிகா and தூவிதா both are good options....... unique, nice sounding, pure tamil name ... inga neenga koduthirukkara meaning also good...... (சிறகைக் காத்தருள்....)

actually, I am not very much obsessed with meanings in other languages......... but sanskrit naan perithum respect panna koodiya oru language, thatz why looking at the meaning if a derived version of that name is available in sanskrit

stumbled upon this name: விகிர்தா - a sweet name and seems like it denotes Lord Shiva in many shaiva literature and in general meaning GOD, seems like it is derived from Sanskrit

Another doubt..... will அருள் + நீ + தா would become அருணிதா? One another option that I had in mind was அருணிதா, Arunachalam is my Grandmother's name, Arunachalam also refers to Lord Siva, so athula irunthu Aruna va eduthu, athukku oru suffix thaa add panna, Arunitha nu kondu vanthu athai அருள் + நீ + தா ngra maathiriyum kondu vara mudiyuma nu yosichittu irunthaen..... (Another advantage of this word: in Sanskrit Arunita means Sun / Red as used in different context)

Well, naan romba yosichu confuse pannikarennu yaarum ninaikatheenga... vaikka porathu ennamo ore oru name than..........but this also gave me an opportunity to dig into old tamil words etc., and come up with more choices of pure sweet tamil words thatz why showing more interest.......
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

Post Thanks / Like
    அருள்+ நிதம் = அருணிதம் > அருணிதா (.நிதம் = everyday.)
    தினமும் அருள் தருக என்பது பொருள்.

அருள்+நீ+தா = அருணீதா
    இது நீ அருள் தருக என்பது.

அருள்+ நீதம் = அருணீதம் > அருணீதா. Grace and justice.

நீதம் = நீதி.

Can also mean in context:
    1 nitam (nitamayati} , to choke , suffocate in skrt.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My choice: minnoLi

The song 'sonnadhai seidhida saahasamaa kiLiye kaNNan eninum....' has the line

'minnoLiye unadhu meni ......'

The song used to be popular in the 50s and earlier sung by G.N. Balasuramaniam and now by Sudha Ragunathan.

I named my house in Madras 'minnoLi' !
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Post Thanks / Like

shortening of nI

Hi rsubras,

உங்கள் ஐயப்பாடு உண்மையில் நீ என்பது குறுகி நி என்றாகுமா என்பது. இப்படிக் குறுகுதலுக்கு முன்னுதாரணங்கள் இல்லாமல் இல்லை.

பழம் + நீ என்பது பழநி > பழனி என்றாகிவிட்டது என்று சொற்சிந்தனையாளர் சிலர் கூறுகின்றபடியாலும்;

ஞான் + நீ = ஞாநீ >ஞானி என்று குறுகி, ஞானம் முதலிய சொற்கள் அதன்கணிருந்து தோன்றின என்று சிலர் கூறுகின்றபடியாலும்,

நீ என்பது சிலகால் "நி"எனக் குறுகியமைதலும் கூடும் என்று தோன்றுகின்றது.
    நீ என்பது நின் என்று குறுகும் தன்மையுடைய சொல்தான். நீ + மனம் = நின் மனம்,

நினது மனம், நின்னுடைய மனம் என்று வேற்றுமைச் சொல்லுருபுகள் ஏற்கும்போதும் நீ என்பது குறுகியே அமையும்.

இவற்றை நோக்குமிடத்து, அருணீதா என்பதை அருணிதா என்று குறுக்கி அமைத்தலும் கூடுமென்றே முடிபு கூறலாம்.

குறிப்பு: பழனி என்பதும் ஞானி என்பதும் வேறுவிதமாகத் தோன்றினவென்பர் வேறு சிலர். அந்த வாதத்திற்குள் செல்லாமல், நீ என்ற்பாலது நி என்று குறுகக் கூடும் என்று ஆய்வாளர் கருதியுள்ளனர் என்பதையே முனி நிறுத்தி, உங்கள் ஐயத்திற்கு ஒருவாறு தெளிவு காணலாம்.

ஞான் = I. நான் என்பதன் சேர நாட்டு வழக்கு. I - self. You = nI = the greater self. This then appears to be the beginning of a ஞானி's conception.

மெய்ம்மேல் ஏறி நின்றும் தனித்து நின்றும் நெடிலாகிய உயிர்கள் குறுகுதல் பெருவழக்கு,

ஆ > அ அம் மரம்.
    ஊ> உ உவன். ( உ +அன் )
    ஏ > எ எம் மனிதன்.

இப்படியெல்லாம் குறுகித்தான் பல சொற்கள் அமைந்தன என்பர்.

Note: phrases in italics amended (typo)
    Last edited by bis_mala; 25th July 2013 at 07:42 AM.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast