Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Indies Triangular Series in 2013 - Ind vs WI vs SL

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me explain. India never knew that they will play only 29 overs. They had planned their innings for 50 overs. If it rains and brings the batting team's innings to an abrupt end, the chasing team will have an upperhand, knowing the exact target and no of overs to get it. The first batted team wouldn't have had this luxury. They could've begun slowly but may have ended with a huge score. To minimise this, D/L method is used with runs scored and wickets fallen taken into account. Since India had lost only 3 wickets, the target for SL was 170+. If we had lost only 1 wicket, then SL wouldve chased a 200+ target. If we had lost 9 wickets, SL would've chased a smaller target.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thx. ajay..

bt possibly ind could score lesser runs if they played whole 50 overs...

anyway, am nt comfortable wit D/L method...

i dint forget SA match against ? (i remember one of the world cup semi-final)..

in tat match, SA had comfortable target to chase..nd after tat, SA was unable to chase after the target was changed to 10 runs from 1 ball due to rain...
    Last edited by Thala_rasigan; 11th July 2013 at 11:00 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber 19thmay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    Let me explain. India never knew that they will play only 29 overs. They had planned their innings for 50 overs. If it rains and brings the batting team's innings to an abrupt end, the chasing team will have an upperhand, knowing the exact target and no of overs to get it. The first batted team wouldn't have had this luxury. They could've begun slowly but may have ended with a huge score. To minimise this, D/L method is used with runs scored and wickets fallen taken into account. Since India had lost only 3 wickets, the target for SL was 170+. If we had lost only 1 wicket, then SL wouldve chased a 200+ target. If we had lost 9 wickets, SL would've chased a smaller target.
    Whatever...its a crap! Forecast tells you the chances of rain and what if you win the toss, bat first and consciously play such that you don't lose many wickets?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dhoni... 6; 4; & 6! India wins by one wicket - with 2 balls to spare!

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    India...

Dhoni called kohli nd they pose wit the trophy...

Dhoni.. u r a true Gentleman..

Congrats to Bhuvanesh for MOS award...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missed the chase from 40 odd for 2, but went to bed with hope that with MSD in the batting order, India have a great chance in the chase. Woke up to the now customary headline how Iceman Dhoni has won it for India.

Excerpts from a nice read about Dhoni from Cricinfo, that sums up how fans like me feel about India's prospects in chases

"Dhoni is no doubt a badass finisher. He is one of India's finest ODI batsmen. And he is their most decorated captain. But his true contribution goes far deeper. He has managed to turn a fan base inured to close defeats and panicky collapses into a set that refuses to believe that a game is lost as long as he stays in.

There was a time when Indian fans turned off the TV when Tendulkar got out (and Dhoni too has admitted to having done the same when he watched the 2003 World Cup final). But the thinking these days seems to have been turned on its head, almost to a point where fans tune into a game when their captain walks in."

The entire article can be read here
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/tri-nati...ry/650509.html
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a time when the whole of India remembered and savored the one four hit by Kanitkar to win India a cup, chasing under lights. Nowadays, we have lost count of how many times India has managed to win tough chases and major credit should go to MSD.

MSD, you are my hero
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admit that he is the best match winner in India's LOI history. You have no other option. How many times has he pulled victory from jaws of defeat!! I have lost count. And he has done that all over the world. An average of 100 in successful chases says it all. Respect!!

If India has to hit a 6 off the last ball for a win, even Dhoni haters would want ONLY him at the crease.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber raajarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admit that he is the best match winner in India's LOI history.
    +1.. and he wins this by a mile...
    IR / KH / Sujatha / Bala / BC Lara / Curtly Ambrose

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admit that he is the best match winner in India's LOI history. You have no other option. How many times has he pulled victory from jaws of defeat!! I have lost count. And he has done that all over the world. An average of 100 in successful chases says it all. Respect!!

If India has to hit a 6 off the last ball for a win, even Dhoni haters would want ONLY him at the crease.
    தோனியை மட்டுமே புகழ்ந்துவிட்டுச் செல்லாமல் ஹப் வரலாற்றையும் அலசி விமர்சனம் செய்கிறீர்கள் பாருங்கள்.. அங்கதான் நீங்க நிக்கிறிங்க..
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12