Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adhi Sankaracharya

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Adhi Sankaracharya

Shall we exchange notes and information about this great Philosopher....

Was one of the personalities who revived Hinduism...

Looking forward to his entire life history and all his philosophies on Advaitham...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Balaji anNe,

Great Topic

I always thought of starting this topic , aana neenga muntheetenga

Will post very soon

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adhi sankara birthplace is supposed to be Kaladi,Kerala.his parents did not have children for a long time.lord shiva appeared in dream and gave a choice.a bright boy with short life or lot of stupid sons with long life.the parents chose the former option.hence,adi sankara was born.his birthdate is supposed to be 788AD
    he lived for 32 years and spread the Advaitha philosophy founded by guru Gaudapada? he defeated lot of buddist philosophers and re-established hinduism in India.Lot like gnanasampandhar of TN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adhi Sankara is sometimes also said to be an extension of Lord Shiva.his 32 years are supposed to be divided into a period of four 8 yrs in which he got extension of life by 8 years.he is supposed to have mastered sanskrit and vedas when he was 8 years old.

a crocodile caught his leg when he was bathing.only after his mother assured sankara that she would not stand on his way to becoming a sanyasi,did the crocodile release him.thus sankara became a sanyasi and travelled to n.india where he became disciple of gaudapada.

he defeated mandana mishra who was supposed to be a proponent of karma yoga way of reaching God.then,adhi sankara established 4 mutts in different parts of India.he is supposed to travelled length and breadth of India 4 times and this is known as sankara digvijayam.
    supposed to have merged into shiva lingam at badrinath.
    some others claim he died at kanchipuram.
    he has composed a lot of slokas which have been rendered beatutifully by carnatic musicians.Also, lot of bhasyas on upanishads and bhagvat gita have been ascribed to him.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viggop,

one year back, I had been to Kanchi mutt and found a picture showing around 32 mutts Sri Shankaracharya had established... Its spread across the country...

Probably while he was coming back from Himalayas and Kasi, he must have stayed in various places and must have established small small mutts..

Can you pl clarify

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've read abt Adi Sankara in the Bhagwat Gita by Swami Ranganathananda.....I got to know from there tat it was he who first brought out the Gita to light for the ppl. to know it, in the 8th century.
    -I've changed my ID now!!-

Post Thanks / Like
    Balaji
    i do not know abt this 32 mutts.maybe, that is why advaitha philosophy is more popular in north.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adhi Sankara promised to his mother that he'll return back when she is on her deathbed even though he took sanyas and should not have any contact with family.true to his word, he came to see her when she was in her deathbed.
    she died soon after and he was supposed to perform the last rites.the namboodiri brahmins protested saying that he has taken sanyas and he should not perform last rites etc. and refused to help him.Adhi sankara was too weak to carry the dead body of his mother and so he cut the body into pieces and then took the pieces one by one to funeral ground and performed last rites.it seems he cursed the namboodiri brahmins and hence even today, among this particular caste, the dead body is cut into pieces before funeral.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note to both Rohit and Pradeep: Please stop hijacking threads to carry on your arguments.

Kindly also refrain from personal insults keeping in mind the general decorum and decency that is maintained in the Hub.

I am removing all digressions from this thread, and hope it sticks to the topic of the life of Adi Sankara alone.
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear sbadri99,

Your note is fully acknowledged and I would standby with my sincere commitment to write when I have a valid point or view to express.

I have no problem with the removal or deletion of the digressive posts after Pradheep's post, but I do believe that my earlier posts were genuinely valid and very relevant and in context to the topic and earlier posts.

I would request you and other moderators not to remove or delete those posts that are valid and relevant and/or in context to the topic, simply because they are slightly off the desired taste.

As, I genuinely believe that the first two of my posts were very relevant and in the right context to the topic; I would request you to restore those two posts, if you can.

An act of moderation with dispassionate bearing would draw more appreciation than the one with passionate bearing.

Thank you

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast