Thread: One hit wonders

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

One hit wonders

Tamil Film industry has many examples of people who came into the limelight for their lyrics, songs, music, acting etc and then faded away after the first exposure. In this thread, we can discuss about such people.

For starters, I can say about Roshanara Begum, who composed the song "kungumappottin mangalam" in the MGR starrer "Kudiyiruntha Kovil". The song was a hit, but not the lyricist. I wonder why she never got another opportunity. I remember reading an interview years ago wherein she had said that she was discriminated against because she was a woman.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The film "Gramathu Athiyayam" released in the eighties was a moderate success. The film is remembered more for the song, "ootha kathu veesayile" which instantly transports us to a village. The film starred two new comers, Krishnakumari and Nandakumar. They came, they acted and they left after this movie. No one remembers them today.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The film is also remembered for the wonderful song "Aaaththu maettula"

Junior Member Junior Hubber Ravi Krishnan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's one movie, I forget its name now, in which the song "Ennadi Muniyamma ong kanniley mayiee" became a hit. The lyricist is guy called I think Natarajan who appears to be still active in films playing bit parts. The film was a complete failure and its hero and heroine disappeared from the movie industry. However, I feel the song "Ennadi Muniyamma" qualifies for the "one hit wonder" category because I think Natarajan has not written any lyrics since then! The song is still popular and you can hear it mentioned in some recent movies. Incidentally the movie was produced by a Malaysian.
    Rose is a rose is a rose