Page 250 of 250 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250
Results 2,491 to 2,496 of 2496

Thread: Ilayathalapathy Vijay 's New Mission with A.L Vijay - Thalaivaa

Senior Member Senior Hubber mareen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsubras View Post
    << Reposting in the relevant thread, earlier posted in film / documentaries thread >>
    Thalaiva

What a waste of an opportunity for A.L.Vijay..........his strength is not a masala / thrill film as is proved with this and previous outing..I suppose he could rather stick to his strength of emotional / love based subjects...... first half was the only saving grace with an youthful vijay and santhanam providing the relief. many scenes inspired from nayagan / devar magan et.al looks bad imo....... and not a good sight to see Vijay in it....... Guess Law of averages caught up with vijay with a bad story / director selection after being watchful and selective in his recent movies... and Amala Paul.........somehow only young girls look good pair for Vijay, prettier girls when they start looking older does not look a good match (asin in kavalan, trisha in kuruvi, etc.,) amala paul has started to look older in this film and a bad choice for VJ's pair...may be a deivatirumagal or kadhalil sodhappuvathi eppadi Amala paul could hve looked better
    Fully agree. Amala paul didnt suit the police role in the first place in fact all of her scenes could be removed to make film look a lot crispier.
    Supports VJ's new beginning

Oru Nal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZLrR9jfUc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thalaiva in Sun Tv for Pongal

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    9th of August. Last year this time I was counting the minutes to sunrise so I can line up at the cinemas to watch Thalaivaa. First Vijay movie in London that ended with standing ovation. And first time I'd seen my idol upset and broken (that video I'd never like to see again). A lot of painful and pleasant memories associated with this film.

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Booked 4.40 show at Staples corner. Arrived only at 5.45 due to the football crowd in Wembley. I was so upset, but the bloke at the counter was an angel and rebooked our tickets for the 8.30 show. Cheesy smile on face, we spent an hour at the nearby shopping center. On my friend's insistence we left our dinner at the Mexican restaurant early and walked into cineworld. Bless her, because the line at screen 1 was already a mile long at 8. By half 8, the line was so long I was sure there wasn't going to be enough seats to fit everyone in. I have honestly never seen such a crowd for a tamil movie before. The Chennai express crowd was giving us strange looks. (Tell me again why bollywood movies get more screens when it's obvious tamil movies are as much as in demand) My friend who had insisted we left early to be at the screen is actually an English girl. She is a bigger Vj fan girl than the rest of us. So half an hour later, listening to her telling us off for being idiots and how she was a saviour of sorts to get us good seats, they opened the doors. Believe me when I say it was full house within minutes. I hadn't expected that for a Sunday late night show. Luckily for us we found good seats right smack in the middle and excitedly waited for the movie to start. Another group of girls were sat by us.

Yelling 'finally' after another painful 30 mins of hindi ads and trailers, we were ready to see Vj on screen. No such luck for us. We have the background story and Satyaraj's introduction for the first ten minutes. I wanted to cheer for Satyaraj, but barely controlled myself because no one else did. I assumed I was watching the movie with classy audience. Boy was I wrong. Vj's introduction on screen. I honestly thought I was in a chennai theater. That's probably the loudest cheer I've ever witnessed for any actor. If I thought my group of friends were bad, the girls next to us were worse. They kept hooting and cheering well into the first song.

The first song- if anyone told me there is a better dancer than this lad I'd laugh at them. If this dance was stylish and full of energy, yaar indha is full of grace and elegance and ecstasy of dance is so graceful on screen you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off screen.

Oh well, now I'm completely far off from what I came to post here, the movie review. The first half is so light hearted that I did wonder if it was a chick flick for a moment. Santhanam's one liners were actually funny for a change.

Amala Paul was okay. She did look good with Vj on screen and emoted well in the romantic scenes. Yaar indha saalai oram works just for their chemistry. I still think nayan or anushka would have been a better choice, but hey I'm not the director, so whatever.

I had avoided all spoilers and I was glad I didn't because the pre interval was full of shock value and amazing. I took a bow to Sathyaraj. His eyes spoke so many things while leaving his son behind, shattered.

Even if you aren't a fan of Vj all you'd want is to cuddle him and care for him in the pre interval sequence. He played the helpess young guy role so well. The tears of the older women sat in front of us was proof enough how well that sequence worked.

Completely satisfied with first half, we quickly rushed to the loo, got some napkins for our mate who was still in tears and waited for the second half to begin. It began with the slow transition of Vj from a depressed and innocent young man into a leader. Brownies to ALV for not rushing into it. This is where the movie slows down almost to a snail pace with Thalapathy song and more info about whatshisname villain.

Thank god it picks up pace again with the cat and mouse game between the two men (not as intelligent as Thuppakki but good enough).

Amala paul has limited scope in second half and I wasn't complaining. I heard a lot of comments in theater about the second heroine looking much more gorgeous than the first, but ALV turned out to be the bigger villain for finishing off her character. If only they could trim 20 minutes the movie would be as racy as thuppakki. I wasn't complaining again, because more minutes means more Vj on screen.

Despite the slow pace I preferred the second half to first. It's hard to explain why, you would understand when you watch the movie. ALV did okay this time. It wasn't an average fare but it wasn't a pathbreaking story either.

What makes the film work or precisely who makes the film work is Vj. And Sathyaraj. Nobody would believe that this is the same guy who acted in Sivakasi. The absolute adorableness he oozes in the first half and the grace and manliness with which he sizzles on screen in second half, it was Vj's show all the way. I know I'm going to sound shallow saying this but harrypotter on a flying stick he looked so fit in that climax fight I was just hoping the vest would tear off his body. I was jolling left right and center. I wasn't the only one judging by the wolfwhistles thrown his way from the girls sat by us. He sure is earning more female fanbase these days. He just looked so tall, lanky and handsome and I was of the opinion that a mush wouldn't suit him. I'll stop here with my fangirling because I'm going off track again and writing Vj review instead of Thalaivaa review.

Cut to climax and the sequence after that, everyone stood up and actually clapped. I watched Nanban first day first show and even then I didn't witness something like this. Forget all those reviews floating online. Judging by the thundering applause I heard at the end of the movie from the mostly family audience , write it down as a 5th BB for Vj.

Wow. I can't believe I wrote all that. Must have been the high after watching Thalaivaa

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually watched it on the 8th of August here in Singapore, FDFS. 9th of August is a public holiday here since it's National Day and the crowd was exceptional. At Golden Mile Cinemas. It was scheduled for 8pm but it got delayed 30 mins due to some error. The crowd was getting restless and some were going on to the stage to do the hand raising Vijay does in the film title and the cinema staff had to chase them down, repeatedly. It was really quite hilarious. The crowd was even more than for Thuppakki and all the whistling rang in my ears for days after. As Vijay said, Thalaivaa is a good movie with a decent script. The situation was the biggest downfall for the film. Now, bring on Kaththi.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thalaivaa was a miss. so many good actors like sathyaraj and ponvannan were wasted and it was a mix of many movies.

ALV's movies have always been slow, this one was no exception.

8. Likes gane14 liked this post