Thread: Tennis Forever

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nadal Seeded 10th, Could Face Djokovic Or Federer In Wimbledon QFs
    JUN 24 2015

ATP Staff

Tournament News

Novak Djokovic named top seed for a fourth straight year

Rafael Nadal will be the No. 10 seed at this year’s Championships at Wimbledon, setting up the possibility that the two-time champion could face a quarter-final meeting with Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer or Andy Murray for a second straight major.
    As the sixth seed at Roland Garros, Nadal received an unfavourable draw that resulted in playing World No. 1 Djokovic in the quarter-finals. The Serbian defeated the nine-time champion in straight sets.

Djokovic, who prevailed against Federer in last year’s final, will top the Wimbledon draw for a fourth straight year. He is followed in the seedings by seven-time winner Federer, 2013 titlist Murray and reigning Roland Garros champion Stan Wawrinka.

Meanwhile, possible Round of 16 opponents for Nadal include the fifth through eighth seeds: Kei Nishikori, Tomas Berdych, Milos Raonic and David Ferrer. Last year as the No. 2 seed, Nadal suffered a fourth-round upset loss to Australian young gun Nick Kyrgios.

The singles seeds reflect the Top 32 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, but the seeding order is rearranged on a surface-based system.

The draw ceremony will take place Friday.
    1 Novak Djokovic (SRB)
    2 Roger Federer (SUI)
    3 Andy Murray (GBR)
    4 Stan Wawrinka (SUI)
    5 Kei Nishikori (JPN)
    6 Tomas Berdych (CZE)
    7 Milos Raonic (CAN)
    8 David Ferrer (ESP)
    9 Marin Cilic (CRO)
    10 Rafael Nadal (ESP)
    11 Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
    12 Gilles Simon (FRA)
    13 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
    14 Kevin Anderson (RSA)
    15 Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
    16 David Goffin (BEL)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/...amed-10th-seed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wimbledon Draw's out-

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein

4. Thanks VinodKumar's thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Possible match ups for the Big 5 ( Yeah I've included Stan here as well )

Djokovic- Kohlschreiber- Hewitt/Niemmen-Mayer-Anderson/Cilic-Nishikori-Wawrinka-Federer

Murray- Kukushkin-Hasse-Seppi-Tsonga-Nadal-Federer-Djokovic

Federer - Dzhumhur-Querry-Sock-Lopez-Berdych-Murray-Djokovic

Nadal - Bellucci-Brown-Trocki-Ferrer-Murray-Federer-Djokovic

Wawrinka- Souza-Becker-Thiem- Goffin-Raonic-Djokovic-Federer

A very even draw for all the top contenders I would say as each one has to pass through difficult match ups leading up to the final. (Of course, you will be having people making a hue and cry about their player getting a draw from hell and the others having it easy). And a word on Kohschreiber. Drawing Federer first round at Halle and now Djokovic at Wimbledon. Hopefully he makes a match out of it. A great R1 match though.
    ― Albert Einstein

6. Thanks VinodKumar's thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, for once the draw seems to have pan out pretty evenly.
    As a Fed fan would have expected Murray on the other half, but I think its not all that bad.
    It looks very open at the outset of the draw.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nadal has the toughest draw, obviously due to his lower seeding. Wawrinka has a relatively comfortable passage to the SF. Raonic could serve bot some maybe but most likely he will choke against such a tough opponent on the big stage. Dustin Brown beat Nadal last year at Halle and Nadal won't relish having to play him in the first week. Still looks like Murray's slam to me. He's in great form and might turn out to be better drilled for the big one than Djoko. Even otherwise Murray has a lighter touch (even Djoko referred to that before their RG match) which suits Wimbledon.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ While I agree that Murray's had a better year than most including Federer and deserves to be joint favourite for the title along with Djokovic, I seriously doubt if he could go all the way to get the title. It would require one of Nadal or Federer to go out early. He seriously hasn't gotten over Djokovic and his poor record against him over the last two years is testimony to that and he's yet to face Federer this year after the disastrous 6-0 6-1 loss at the O2. Yes, things have been different for him this year and he has got two career clay titles, has looked much much much better than last year, but he has't trail blazed through the season has he. I just get a niggling feeling that Federer would beat Murray if they are to meet in the semis. Happy to be proved wrong though
    ― Albert Einstein

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I do agree Fed is a bigger threat to him on this surface than either Djoko or Nadal. He beat Djoko here at 2013 and can do it again. Likewise given Nadal's current form, he can beat him. Whereas with Fed, he's got to hope for a Fed-error day. I don't think Murray can hit through Fed. But maybe he can push him and with Fed's weakened forehand that might work and then Murray could drag Fed into a long match and win.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ True. It's got to be a long match for Murray to win. But it may not happen if Federer serves well, puts a good, healthy first serve percentage and maintains his aggressive style of play.
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st Round

R. Federer
    6 6 6

D. Dzumhur
    1 3 3

Post Thanks / Like
    So the trend continues for Rafa....
    4 years in a row he has lost to players ranked 100 or lower.
    This year it was a qualifier Dustin Brown ranked 102 who got the better of Rafa in the green lawn 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4

With that extra week between RG & Wimbledon + a grass title in Stuttgart I surely thought he can reach QF safely.
    Felt a little bad for Rafa today. Good thing is he has everything to gain from now on as he is not defending virtually anything for the second half of the season. Hope he gets his confidence back.