Page 53 of 119 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB - Part 2

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #389 அம்மா அம்மா எந்தன் ஆருயிரே
    (உழைப்பாளி, 1993)

'ammA ammA enthan AruyirE' from uzhaippALi

I'm not sure whether this was a patti-thotti hit like the prior ammA song from the RK-P Vasu combo movie mannan. However, at the minimum, I've heard a few times on PA systems and I assume this had at least some popularity inside TN, given that the song is from a Rajini movie doing ammA thudhi pAdal. Add the wonderful singing by SPB & the typical pathos-style orchestration by rAsA.

Personally, though I don't have any emotional connect with this song, I can enjoy it much like any tablA based rAsA song in SPB's voice. I'll have to ignore the lyrics, obviously - that does neither touch the inside nor thrill the dhimAg. Quintessential example for mediocrity, who was the kavingar?

googling about the movie tells that this got released bypassing the disti's because of some ladAi & RK sought support from KH etc. Are there any chroniclers with more knowledge on the happenings of the time period? We often hear about the big stars working with / for the disti's to make money / get satisfaction / even compensating for their losses etc. What happened at this time to ruin such a long-cultivated relationship and how it got mended? Also, how did the movie do at BO?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Spb or not, uzhaippaali songs are a annoyance, barring muththirai ippOdhu. Kavitaji was a school mate of my uncle and hence, enjoyed unstinted support in our hosehold. Oh heck, we even accepted En Raththathin Raththame, which had a Kavitaji song I think. It was a measure of advancing age and thinking when I refused to dole out such support to MD Bharadwaj, class mate of another uncle of mine.
    This was moved to Mano Digs post in the amaLi thumaLi. I think this is non controversial enough to remain here

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC only 3 songs were by SPB in Uzhaipali!

App anna

I agree this "amma amma" song from UP did not give me the same goose bumps as "Amma vendralaikatha" from mannan
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, Param!

I guess we'll have a few smallies for the next few days before we hit the last song of the year 1993. I plan to have the vaLLi song as the last one for the year, which was reasonably popular. In between, there are a couple of Vijayakanth numbers and a couple of details-to-be-googled numbers

For today, I'll do a Vijayakanth one that I'm very familiar with...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    in my assorted collection 1993 ley... kungumam manjalukku.......Enga mudhalali's Shri.yesudas composition and EZHAI JAADHI's adho andha...... janaki stunner, I have.

enna paattu erukku innum vijayakanth kku from Bala this yr?

seri kondu vaanga!

Valli ley mirundhangam prelude followed by SWARNA's WCM composition dhaaney ninaivu erukku?

enna pattu?
    Last edited by baroque; 25th May 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    Valli ley mirundhangam prelude followed by SWARNA's WCM composition dhaaney ninaivu erukku?

enna pattu?
    A rare song - in the sense SPB & Vijay's uncle (SN Surendar) singing together - vaLLi varappORA, it starts like sandhanam...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh! I wait for you to feature!

Post Thanks / Like
    #390 இந்த வீடு நமக்கு சொந்தமில்லே பாடுடா சின்னத்தம்பி
    (ஏழை ஜாதி, 1993)

'indha veedu namakku sonthamillE' from Ezhai jAthi

The most famous song of this movie was 'adhO andha nathiyOram' - whose shooting spot was included in that famous IR doordarshan program that we talked about, with the beautiful Jayapradha doing rehearsal of dance with Prabhu Deva. That one is an awesome song that got made in 1991 itself, if one goes by that filming date. Possibly, the other songs too got recorded way back in 1991 but for some reason the movie got delayed. (HR may be able to provide the background as to why this Liyakat Ali Khan movie got so unusually delayed). That SJ number is one of my all-time-fav songs, in a very rAsA special format.

That way, this SPB number is quite melodious too and the smooth / free-flowing nature tells me that this was not a 1993 product but made sometime before, when rAsA was in a better mood. Had the movie come out in early 1992, the songs would have become much bigger hits IMO. However, they didn't get totally blocked from reaching the public After the doordarshan show, I got to listen to the 'adhO andha nathiyOram' song for the second time on the airwaves out of a cassette shop in the oppaNakkAra st of Cbe, when coming out of the Andhra Bank opposite to that. I was really thrilled! It was followed by this 'indha veedu namakku sonthamillE' number

That was not the only occasion - there were a few others when I had involuntarily listened to this song but the reason I so clearly remember this occasion is because I went with a colleague that day who urgently wanted money & it was one of those rare occasions when I took cash using a credit-card! (bank-la cc slip vachchu "azhuththi thEchchuttu" token koduppAnga)..."middle class Ezhai jAthi" guy, who promptly repaid the next month, with the 3% service charge the bank added.

There were a few others at workplace who weren't so kind to me though - one guy stylishly asked me one day 'do you have 1K to spare for a couple of days?' Unfortunately for me, there were 2 gAndhi padams in the pocket and soon after that guy was missing from work. My case was not bad though - there was this co-worker who co-signed for a 15K loan and used to cry each month when his pay was cut to repay that cheat's loan
    Last edited by app_engine; 25th May 2012 at 03:19 AM.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    'adhO andha nathiyOram' - Not heard this song much. It is a nice one.

As you pointed out it sounds like from mid-80s... Reminded me of Padu Nilave from Udhaya Geetham.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite SPB song for Rajini. This is my pick of the soundtrack and also one of my top most Rajini song, just for the situation alone. Superb composition by thalaivar. SPB's feel in singing 'Amma Amma' at the start speaks volume about his talent with those intricate sangathis. We can hear he is almost crying when singing that line. Right from the word 'go' Maestro blasts his WCM skills to the core. When SPB starts the pallavi, hear how Maestro slowly develops those violin gushes at the end of every line. Once the pallavi is over, we can hear that mesmerizing flute tremolo. This prelude portion alone is just enough for me to make multiple rewinds. With this piece alone we can assume what big is coming our way. The ambience with the tabla and santhoor when the pallavi is repeated gives the richness and grandness. Ist interlude has some breath-taking two WCM violin counterpoints. How he builds up the violin crescendo and takes a deep dive with veena and again build up the crescendo again with violins and cello is only Maestro can do. Listen to violin tremolos in the second interlude. If the first interlude was dominated by violins, second interlude is by flute in counter-mode with guitar. Ending with violins again. If this is not enough please listen to the post-lude for the ultimate roller-coaster ride. Greatest tribute to WCM trios.

SPB at this very singing best. Even when he sings every word like how it has to be sung, especially these following lines shook me like never before. 'thaayum neeye thavam irunthaayE' (why am I not dying listening to these two lines?) and 'vaaduthamma pillayE vaattuvatho ennai neeyE'. When he repeats the pallavi again after the first charanam with 'Amma amma' we can hear the cry for a short second before he starts with Amma amma. Legend of all time. The tune flows like a gentle river, with no hiccups and no discomforts. Very very sweet composition. Can't be better.

Can't describe anymore just to listen to these lines when SPB sings at the end.
    pOdhum pOdhum (violin staccato)
    pirinthathu pOdhum (violin staccato)
    vaaduthamma piLLaiyE (violin blast)
    vaatuvatho ennai neeyE (violin blast) ---> Ultimate surrender to his singing!

Coming to the lyrics, I am not seeing anything silly or glaring. I love these lines, very apt for bringing his mother to reality. Lyricist says, 'nalla kaalam pirakka unnai naanum arinthEn, unthan kangaL thirakka ingu paadal padithen'. What more can we expect? The following lines are also nicely written, especially the last line of first charanam; 'vaaduthamma piLLaiyE vaattuvatho ennai neeyE'. SPB's singing take these lines from wonderful to extra-ordinary.

Again these lines are captivating.
    poovizhi Oram Or thuLi neerum
    nee vadithaal manam thaangaathu
    pon mugham konjam vaadi nindraalum
    naan thudippen vali thaaLathu

pathu maasam sumanthu patta paadum maranthu
    pillai chelvam pirakka aLLi kayyil edukka
    thaayum neeye thavam irunthaayE
    vaaduthamma piLLaiyE vaattuvatho ennai neeyE

My favorite Rajini song.! These songs make me wonder sometimes that how Maestro balances his compositions between Kamal and Rajini, without much participation from Rajini. He never assumes his job lightly. Sorry, it has become little big, very haunting song for me, can't resist posting about it.
    Last edited by V_S; 25th May 2012 at 05:58 AM.