Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB - Part 2

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    nanRi, V_Sji!

With buggle's vote (& rr's vAbas / splittu), sAmi kitta takes a big lead...

rAjAthi rAjA un -2.5, muthu maNi -4.5, sAmi kitta -7...
    i quit
    you musicals, enjoy...
    as usual, no luck for me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    my most fav.. probably the best Solo for Sathyaraj...
    vAli's simple lyrics is another highlight

SR's costumes.. typical 90's style

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_Sji!

With buggle's vote (& rr's vAbas / splittu), sAmi kitta takes a big lead...

rAjAthi rAjA un -2.5, muthu maNi -4.5, sAmi kitta -7...
    how many here instantly voted for "samikitta" without even listening once after app announcing the poll..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah.... THAALATTU PADAVAA & AMMAN KOYIL KIZHAKKALEY, I have seen in this combo.

nilladi endradhu ul manadhu..... Deva composition is my favorite!

Beautiful composition! this song , I first listened during the Madras-Tanjore trip,

warm breeze from the travel on my face, the feeling of it brushing against the body that makes the dupatta afloat in the air...WOW! no words to describe the joy!

பாலு mesmerizes me always!

small pleasures...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #357 நடுசாமத்திலே சாமந்திப்பூ
    (திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்)

'nadu sAmaththilE' of thirumathi Pazhanichamy, with SJ

The top pair is in sweet act in this song, with rAsA providing a lullaby-like melody for a love duet, possibly because of the 'nadu sAmam' theme. And the soft, nightly orchestration to help one get sleep (rather than get into a romantic mood). Very soft on ears and easy listening kind of song. The song is particularly enjoyable for SPB (SJ's voice had started showing mild signs of aging around this time period, somewhat audible even in this song).

While I definitely remember the initial hearings of 'pAdhakkolusu', I cannot point to when I got acquainted with this duet first Not too late, for sure but no personal listening of this song. Possibly heard on radio and PA systems but that too years back and never in the recent past. It must have been in the 90's (and only 90's) but the song has a very strong 'recall' value. I must confess that this song is so catchy that even a few listens (or even just one) could place it strongly in one's mind

Unquestionably a hit song!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    #357 நடுசாமத்திலே சாமந்திப்பூ

the song has a very strong 'recall' value. I must confess that this song is so catchy that even a few listens (or even just one) could place it strongly in one's mind
    Absolutely app. When I read the heading I was like, I have no clue about this song and I have never heard it before. But once the song started playing, ohhh indha paattaa I must not have heard it since the 90s. Anyway is this the climax song? The ludes make me think so. Love the 2nd interlude. Suveeet song and thanks once again for reminding us of yet another naicee song

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App anna

Thanks for reminding me of such songs !
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    yw, Nerd & Param!

HR,
    nAnum unga katchi thAn indha thErthalil
    (Both songs that I nominated are trailing...I do have a story for AvArampoo album but the songs themselves weren't big in my playlist ever)

Post Thanks / Like
    #358 ஓதாமல் ஒரு நாளும் இருக்க வேண்டாம்

'OthAmal oru nALum irukka vENdAm' from Thirumathi PazhanichchAmy, with SJ

Very clear indication of SJ's aging showing up and SPB saves the song! IR didn't want to complicate the pallavi tune, I think, and mostly retained what people use in elementary schools It didn't raise to great levels in saraNam too as he simply stuck to his template. What stand out in the song are definitely the awesome interludes! rAjA unleashes some of his WCM expertise with war-like music there.

It's possible the inspiration was the sichchuvEshan (as in the case of a previous R Sundarrajan movie song 'pAdavA un pAdalai' that had similar cracking interludes). Those who've seen the movie please post about the setting of the song that seems to depict a small school with some other things happening elsewhere during the interludes.

This song too has the 'strong recall' because of hearing it on PA systems during the time of arrival. Haven't heard otherwise or in the near past. The pallavi lines packed me off to my elementary school instantly.

One person who came to my mind was the 5th standard sAr -who was our neighbor too- with a sweet voice. His singing of 'thambu sAmikkoru thOttamuNdu thanjaikkuppakkaththilE...thOttaththilE sila nAykaLuNdu thanjaikkuppakkaththilE...angE orE loL loL...ingum orE loL loL...engum orE loL loL' (loL-loL barking like dog) still ringing in my ears.

(This was his TN folk equivalent of old McDonald had a farm)...

Post Thanks / Like
    #359 அம்மன் கோயில் வாசலிலே வாசலிலே
    (திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992, மின்மினி மற்றும் சுந்தர்ராஜனுடன்)

'amman kOyil vAsalilE vAsalilE' of thirumathi PazhanichchAmy, with Minmini & Sundarrajan

Typical rocking themmAngu by IR with his usual arrangements! Sung with usual enthu by SPB! The interesting part is the two new names I see in thiraippAdal who have sung along with our star singer in this number.

Is Minmini the chinna chinna Asai Minmini? Whose original (Malayali) name was Mini and changed by IR as Minmini? If so, this is her first entry into our compilation! The poor girl reportedly lost her voice for a few years when at the peak of her career which was very unfortunate! (Thankfully, it's reported that she got back her voice and is in the limelight again, doing songs / TV shows etc).

And who is the Sundarrajan? Was it the director? Or, was it IR's standard track singer who passed away a couple of years back?

Personally, I don't rate this song at par with many such numbers IR had done in his career - somewhat lacking lustre. Or, may be we got so used to it that anything normal by rAsA standards won't kick us anymore - we wanted some super stuff Whatever, I'm happy there was yet another IR-SPB hit and the movie could boast of 4 SPB hits!

Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast