Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    great review

sila songs naan ketta mathiri theriyalai. Enna koduma idhu

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice review indeed. Was it irir123 who was responsible for persuading the critic to do this review or was it someone else. Whoever it is, deserves the kudos. Not because a westerner is praising Raja but because this reviewer is quite knowledgeable and sensible!!

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sureshs65 there seems to be good response for this Album. Few radio stations/programs which feature such rare songs have featured it. There has been some nice tweets to @AndyVotel who created this album. So far this is the only review. Happy that it is been liked not for kitsch factor.

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...ow/9074705.cms

Sukhwinder singh sings for raaja in that marathi film.

excerpts: "the Chaiyya Chaiyya singer is on top of the world after recording a Marathi song for Marathi flick Hello Jaihind. Unable to hide his glee, he says: "This is the first time legendary Ilayaraja has composed music for a Marathi film, and it was an honour singing for him. It was tough because I wasn't familiar with the dialect, but I managed it alright! And when Ilayaraja hugged me after the recording, I just looked up and thanked the Lord!"
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagas View Post
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...ow/9074705.cms

Sukhwinder singh sings for raaja in that marathi film.

excerpts: "the Chaiyya Chaiyya singer is on top of the world after recording a Marathi song for Marathi flick Hello Jaihind. Unable to hide his glee, he says: "This is the first time legendary Ilayaraja has composed music for a Marathi film, and it was an honour singing for him. It was tough because I wasn't familiar with the dialect, but I managed it alright! And when Ilayaraja hugged me after the recording, I just looked up and thanked the Lord!"
    nice to see u quote only the positive section of that linked piece...
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Regular Hubber Vkrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Splendid Performance by Chitra veena ganesh !!
    http://www.tamilo.com/2011Tamil%20TV...ligaJul02.html
    if above link does not work..click below one and choose raagamalika posted on 02nd July.
    http://www.tamilo.com/athirady-singer.html

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Balki's wife next movie

Raaja is not scoring music for Balki's next movie English Vinglish directed by his wife Gauri shinde. Sridevi is the heroine and Amit Trivedi is the composer

http://fenilandbollywood.com/2011/06...-amit-trivedi/

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vssathish View Post
    Raaja is not scoring music for Balki's next movie English Vinglish directed by his wife Gauri shinde. Sridevi is the heroine and Amit Trivedi is the composer

http://fenilandbollywood.com/2011/06...-amit-trivedi/
    Interesting! looking forward to it.

And we have to wait for Balki's next, that will be directed by him.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats bad news ..really expected Maestro to score music for this one ..

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prashan Jayatheepam's A a day spent with the GENIUS MAESTRO Dr ILLAYARAAJA…!!!

20th June 5.00pm
    I call up Karthic Raaja for a chat regarding a project which we want to work together. I call him and it goes unanswered. I call him again around 6.00pm and still goes unanswered. Then I go in for a recording session around 6.30pm with the Mandolin Maestro Padma Shri Shrinivas. During recording, I get a call from Karthic Raaja around 9pm…wanting me to come to his house at 10am the next day!

21st June 10.00am
    I meet up with Karthic Raaja at his private residence and discuss about the project for about an hour. Once that was over I requested to meet Raaja Sir. Karthic says dad is at Prasad Studios and calls Raaja Sir. ‘’Dad my friend Prashan from London is here and wants to meet you and get your blessings’’ says Karthic on speaker. ‘’OK ask him to come to the studio during lunch at 1.00pm’’ says Raaja Sir. Extremely thrilled at being able to see the Maestro we go to Prasad Studios Kodambakkam.
    I get to the Studio around 12.35pm and the Entrance is fully guarded by about 8 people all wanting to know who I am and whether I have a prior appointment. So I tell one Mr. Subbiah that I have been invited by Raaja Sir to meet him during the Lunch break. He asks me to wait outside…goes in and comes back out…and says take a seat in the viewing gallery as the recording will only finish at 1.00pm and then I will take you to Raaja Sir’s room. As I enter the viewing gallery I see for the very 1st time the GENIUS conducting the Orchestra.

At 1.00pm sharp he says ‘break’ and all the Musicians go for lunch. Mr. Subbiah comes to me and says…remove your shoes and come in with me. I am taken through the main Recording studio, then through another hall, then through 3 rooms all guarded by people, then in to the 4th room where Raaja Sir is just about to eat. Wearing a pure white costume he looks directly in to my eyes for the very 1st time and smiles and says…

IR - ‘Karthic frienda?’
    Me - Ama Sir
    IR – Vannga…Saaputeengala?
    Me – Ama Sir
    IR – Aen poi sollureenga…vanthu saapidunga. (then calls his assistant) Murali innoru illaya podu.
    IR – payapadama saapidunga…ellam veettu saapaadu thaan
    Me – Ungala Parthadume vayiru Nirambi Pochu Sir
    IR – Kathucku Isai pola….vayitruckum Soru thevai...chumma saapidunga.
    IR – Londonla Enga? Naan London Vanthiruckindren…Musicla Enna Theriyum?
    Me – Ennacku Musicla onnum theriyadu Sir
    IR – Enackum Musicla Onnum theriyadu…athu than Studiola iruckuren. Ellam therinja naan veetila irundiruppen. Sari Musicla therinjatha sollu...
    Me – Konjam Counterpoint Harmony theiryum

(Now Raaja Sir starts to Explain the Differences of Bach’s and Brahms’s Counterpoint Techniques…the way both the Composers have handled these technicalities…He explains for about 30 minutes and also indirectly teaches me some valuable tips about Counterpoint)

IR – Bach & Brahms pannadula naan pannadu verum 1% thaan. Naan vanthu Kadalin alai pola…alaiyin nurai pola…nuraiyin thuli pola…thuliyin nuni pola…appidi onnum perisa sadikkala…
    I am just stunned at this point and don’t know what to say to him…

IR – Saapaadu Sari Illaya? Mmm? …Koochapadama pottu saapudunga…
    Me – Sir oru photo educkalama?
    IR – Daralama…ana Saapadu nerathila vendam…

It’s about 2.00pm now and he says…
    IR – Murali Ellarum vandacha?
    Murali – ama sir
    Me – Recording parkalama Sir
    IR – parkonuma?
    Me – ama Sir…neenga notes eluthi…conduct panrada parka aasaiya irucku…
    IR – Sari Satham podama…photo educkama parkanum…sariya?
    Me - Kattayam Sir

(Still I haven’t taken the photo with him…Then Raaja Sir walks out of his room and in to the main studio and I follow him…)

IR – Murali thambicku oru kathira podu
    (All the 54 musicians are seated and Raaja Sir sits in his seat and watches the Malayalam film role for RR. He watches the scene just ONCE and asks the director how many seconds. 43 replies the director. He immediately starts writing the notes on a full Manuscript score sheet. Everyone is silent in the main recording room. I peep over his shoulder to see what he is writing...OMG!!! the Man writes it in such speed that you can’t even play. In about 25 minutes all is written for the 54 Musicians and then he looks back at me and says ‘En kaiyai vida…en mind romba fast…athu than pirachanaiye’.

The Score he has written is then photo copied for all the Musicians and even I am given a copy. I check the copy out and even the basic of notations are detailed precisely and written out so neatly. He looks at me and says ‘1st violin notes-a paadalama…? And I sang it exactly as he has written it…he says mmmm! …he then says ‘Ulagathila entha Orchestravum inda notes-a Vasickum…athu than Bach-da Music-a innum vasikuraanga…Computerla Music panna eppidi yellaruckum theiryum?’ he says…

Raaja Sir then walks in to the Console room and the Orchestra starts practicing the piece twice and then after Raaja sir says ‘Take’ the main recording is done. a few more BGM’s are done for the film and around 6.30pm he says ‘pack up’ and the Musicians leave.

He then comes out of the console room and looks at me and says…
    IR – photo educkanum illaya?
    Me – Eppidi Sir ivvalavu notesaiyum verum 25 minutesla eluduneenga?
    IR – Ellam Kadavul Seyal. Murali vanthu oru photo edu…

Then I take my Canon EOS 550D out…and his eyes grow bigger and starts asking me about the technicalities of the camera. With my basic knowledge of photography I just tell him a few bits. He in return tells me…I own a Canon 5D Mark II. I am just spellbound!!!

After which I take a photo with him. My dream comes true!!!...Then I kindly request him that I take a picture of him alone…and he says OK. After that was done I ask him kindly whether I can take a few pictures of the Studio…he says OK. Once all is done…I take his blessings and I am about to leave…he says '‘vaanga veeta poi saapittutu pogalam'’…well why would I say no to Chocolate Cake…I grab the offer!!!

He then says ‘'Vaanga Namma Vandiyile Pogalam'’...and then I get in to the Car with Raaja Sir seated in front. He doesn’t speak a word and listen to a few pieces of Tchaikovsky all the way to T-Nagar!
    Once we got home…he invited me to the table and I sat right beside him. We had dinner together and it was me doing all the talking this time. I praised him about all his work he has done. I took about 10 songs for example and I started telling him the wonders he has done within them from Counterpoint to Graha Bedam to Cromaticism and he listens patiently without uttering a word. I told him what ever I could remember within that 20 - 30 minutes.
    after listening carefully to what i said...he replied...

IR – ivvalavu vishayam iruckennu enacku theiryade…naan idellam edirparthu notes eludinadu kidaiyadu….adu thana vaaradu…ellam kadavul seyal. 6000 paatula inda 10 paattu thaan nalla irucka?
    Me – Illa Sir…Evvilavo paattu irucku…ennacku therinjada sonnen…
    IR - mmmm...Ethatchum oru paattu paadu...
    Me - Entha Paattu Sir?
    IR - 6000 thila onnu paadu
    I sing Thendral Vanthu Theendum...
    IR - mmmm. Intha paatta romba perr different different styles-la copy pannanga…athu parava illa…namacku padaippu vanthadhu…

After which I get his blessings again and thank him for the wonderful 10 hours in my life…the most worthiest 10 hours of my life and leave.

P.S - One day I will tell my grand children…that I have not met Bach, Brahms, Beethoven or Mozart…but I have met, seen, touched, spoke, sat beside, had lunch, had dinner and got Blessings from a GENIUS called MAESTRO Dr ILLAYARAAJA!!!