Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Origin of Lord Murugan

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    enna kodumai sar idhu?
    you thought saravana is tamil?

except for vadivelan and murugan, I dont think any of his other names are purely tamil.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    enna kodumai sar idhu?

except for vadivelan and murugan, I dont think any of his other names are purely tamil.
    thanks guys for reviving this thread!!
    and now can we call murugan as thamizh kadavul or not?
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    no old stories sivan
    He is directly imported from India and some ppl like to call batu caves or baththu malai as Ezhaam padai.

indians in malaysia are a recent phenomenon - hardly 2 centuries ago. majority of them were brought from TN to work in the rubber estates. as is norm for tamils, kOvil illaadha ooril kudi irukka vEndaam, they brought along all thier gods and today temples abound all over malaysia.

we even have a south east asian tirupathi in klang.

today many chinese worship at hindu temples and in fact during thaipoosam in penang, almost half the kavadi carriers will be non hindus, mainly chinese.
    and australian convert who calls himself Carl Vadivelu makes an annual pilgrimage for this festival/
    you know why they say this right...
    cos, temples were meant to build with high ceilings, strong roof, and with heavy stones thru which can sustain most of the natural disasters... so if u live in a place where u have a temple, you can hide in there during the disaster time, infact the whole village can be accomodated in there as temples usually were too big...

even recently we use to hear that during flood times, govt protects the people by keeping them in temples and schools;
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Birth-place of MURUHA / SUBRAHMANYA is... Ganga-River... in North-India

I have already written in detail.... under my Tamil Serial Article, titled...

....THAMIZH-MARHAI THIRUVAAYMOZHI... in Our Hub-Magazine

... about Viswamithra's narration to Rama-Lakshmana... showing the Baby Subrahmanya's place of birth....

....at the holy GANGA RIVER BANK.

....according to Valmiki Ramayana..

Because Parvathi choses so... since He is KADHIRESA... in Tamil... .and AGNIBHOOH in Sanskrit... meaning that He is born from Fire-Spark.

Such an enormous heat of a holy spark from God Siva... cannot be borne by Earth. So Ganga-devi took the responsibility to cool it down in parts... then hand over as SIX Babies to Krithika Maids...

..finally unified as One baby... named as Shanmuka (ARUMUHA)... according to authentic 18 Puranhas.
    All these Divine processes took place, at Ganga River and its Bank.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    enna kodumai sar idhu?

what about Senthil, Kumaran, Muthuk Kumaran, kathirgaaman, kaDamban etc

http://www.indianhindunames.com/name...an-karthik.htm

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murugan is not a Thamizh kadaval as widely known, Muruga is known in Sanskrit as Skanda / Karthikey

His name was mentioned in Mahabhrath ! The name 'Murugan' is a thamizh name though. Lord muruga is widely worshipped amongst the dravidians , while a very few Aryans worship Lord Muruga
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Intha Thamizh kadavul, Singala kadavul, Engilisu kadavul... sabbaa.

If Kadavul is the supreme soul ,. responsible for the creation, maintenance and destruction of the cosmos, how can this supreme soul just belong to particular sect created by humans

Thirunthukkapa
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with you at the same time disagree with you paramashivan... I agree that God is common for all lands and languages.. but the word Tamil God is more like figure of speech because all of his abodes most main abodes arupadai veedugal is in Tamil Land... and all the tamil people worship the God in those abodes only popular in tamil nadu... hence I think its more out of love and affection towards the God we call Lord Muruga as Tamil God... could be nothing more than that... infact it has been an issue internet youtube... 'why northindians do not pray giving proper homage to Lord Skanda-Karthikeya' Watch - ... Since also there is one more reason - It is beleived that in the puranas that Lord Muruga HIMSELF is the first formost teacher of the TAMIL... Hence its not wrong denoting as Tamil God but its not apt either for the reason you ve highlighted... might be need to reform the phrase... thanks very much

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a newbie..

Please regard my post as a collective suggestions from a (very) junior researcher.

Before dwelling onto the discussion of whether murugan is a tamil god or north indian god, one should think about the antiquity of the tamil people and their corresponding sanskrit counterparts.

There are innumerable ideas and hypothesis floating around these days( i always believe a good hypothesis has a better chance to be a fact) about tamil being the oldest language.

It could very well have been the first developed language of the world.
    Coming to sanskrit, it is a formulated language while tamil is a natural language in which linguistic traditions predates the grammatical tradition. Word formations based on sound and visual forms "oli oLi saarntha peyargaL".started off with the only intention being communication and later developed for grammar..

It could have been possible that it wast the tamil people who first formulated sanskrit for other purposes(vedic purposes).
    In valmiki ramayanam..

“अहं हय अतितनुश चैव वनरश च विशेषतः
    वाचं चॊथाहरिष्यामि मानुषीम इह संस्कृताम”
    says hanuman on seeing seetha was in a confusion to choose a language to speak with her.
    he says ' if i speak in sanskrit she will think me as ravana in disguise, so i shall speak in manusha basha'

It was regarded as the colloqial form of sanskrit until one tamil scholar(don't remember whether it was Ma.Ra or neelakanta shastri or some one else) pin pointed that he chose to speak in madhura basha, manusha basha which is tamil since tamil was the spoken/ common man language while sanskrit was the learned man's language on those days..

Even agathiya who hailed from gujarat learned tamil in northindia, before coming to tamilagam and not in tamilnadu.

Ok we warded off too far..

So since we can assume that tamil preceded/co existed with sanskrit we can safely think that while the sanskrit names of muruga was formed he was already there in tamil form.

Muruga is even compared with dyonisius (greek or thracian god.)
    I even read a thesis discussing murugan's similarity between alexander..

(yeah.. i know..ippavae kanna kattuthu..)

And i think almost all of you know that murukaeruthal, veRiyaadal are some of the most ancient religious practises among tamil people. And rooster( the symbol of lord muruga- who is a war general) is an accepted totemic symbol of war all over the ancient civilisations. Vael being the oldest form of weapon found here.

i hope my post was useful at least to a bit..

Thank you for listening to me..

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lord Murugan pervades all of earth and the Universe. When we say a particular place/state as home of that Deity, what it means is He/She is worshipped and revered most by the people of that place. He does specially reside in that place, because he is bound by the love of his devotees, so we can say Tamil Nadu is the home of Lord Murugan. But he is present all over India and also the World.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast