Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: annamacharya kirtanalu

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swarup,
    If you are interested in the meaning of the compositions here is a website:

http://www.annamayya.org/

Any work that old (more than 500 years) gets changed a little bit and insertions are also likely. That is said about Thyagaraja's compositions also. Some written by others are claimed to be his. While singing some words may get changed with the same meaning. That happens even today.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rajraj,
    Thanks. Google search gave some references. I will just mention one below which may be useful to others.
    Swarup

From
    http://www.sruti.com/aprjun01/junbkslf.htm
    ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTANAMRITAMU. By Samudrala Lakshmanayya. [Available from Smt. Velugoti Anjanamma, 18-1-84 Kapila Theertham Road, Tirupati, 517 507. Rs. 60].

This is a reprint of two volumes brought out by TTD years ago and out of print since long. The author's credentials, educational and experience, are distinguished but not unique; there are many such scholars. But this man is unique in one way. His ability to spot a philosophic axiom, to trace it to the original, find parallels, and explain all these to the laity, is astounding. And admirable.

He takes 150 songs of Annamayya, all of the adhyatma variety, gives the complete text, the meanings of difficult words, and adds a commentary that makes the most obscure pinnacle of Annamayya's thought accessible and understandable.

True, most of Annamayya's songs are in the sringara (erotic) mode. Earlier, with a dancer's penchant, I'd have said presumptously that no justice can be done to Annamayya's literature if his sringara creations are not taken into account. I won't say that after reading this book.

It is simple. Lakshmanayya's explanations of Annamayya's philosophical songs takes the reader to the realm of his sringara. His meanings of the difficult and rare words used by Annamayya 500 years ago, give the reader a visa to linger long and lovingly in the resplendent world of Tallapaka literature (which includes writings of his son and grandsons, Peda Tirumalacharya, China Tirumalacharya and Tiruvengalanatha).

To get a green card for a permanent stay, those interested should study just one song at a time and proceed to the next one only after mastering the first. To be truthful, 'mastering' any song of Annamayya is a tall order; there are meanings on the surface, beneath it, in-between the words and, by symbolic association. Lakshmanayya lights up most of these but there is a chance that there is yet another layered truth waiting to emerge in the churning.

I have in my collection at least 60 books, big and small, on Annamayya. I'd have read at least one chapter of each, with utmost concentration. I can say with total conviction that if one is familiar with the contents of this one book, all others will become redundant.

Just one small example. The word 'pamidi' was given a nonsensical explanation by Dr. Kesarla Vani, a prominent member of the Annamacharya project headed by Dr. Medasani Mohan. That it meant Garuda, Vishnu's vehicle. Samudrala Lakshmanayya has given the correct meaning, 'dominantly', and quoted another song of Annamayya, proving the correctness of his interpretation.

If you are a dancer, interested in Telugu literature, in the exposition of Vaishnavite thought, rush to get this book by sending 75 rupees by money order to the address given above and a copy will be sent by registered post.
    V.A.K. RANGA RAO

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the site www.annamayya.org. Very useful!

Jayakumar

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    suvvi suvvi can be downloaded from:

http://www.khojhyderabad.com/Ent/mus...r=New%20Albums

Post Thanks / Like

Annamayya's " Suvvi Suvvi Suvvalamma"

Namaskarams to all music Lovers

First of all sorry that I had posted my request in a wrong place.

I have the lyrics for Annamayya's " Suvvi Suvvi Suvvalamma" , But I don't have a audio file. I had tried to find out online but couldn't get it. Can anyone please mail me the audio file ? My e-mail id is sri_natai@yahoo.com

Thank U very much.
    sangItamapi sAhityaM sarasvatyAH stana-dvayaM|
    ekam-ApAta-madhuraM anyad-AlOchanAmRitam||

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mr. Lakshman

That one is a film album no? and in annamayya links I didn't find that "suvve Suvve"
    sangItamapi sAhityaM sarasvatyAH stana-dvayaM|
    ekam-ApAta-madhuraM anyad-AlOchanAmRitam||

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudhaama
    Moving Song on Ramanuja... by Mahaan Sri Annamacharya...

...Lord Sri Venkateswara-graced Keerthana:--

Annamacharya's Keerthana on RAMANUJA. - Video

Will anyone here kindly let me have this Telugu Sahithya Text.. LYRICS..

...along with the Meaning.. word by word..?

THanks.

Affectionately,
    Sudhaama

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Annamacharya... NOT A VAAGGEYAKARA.?

...his compositions Originally NOT SET TO MUSIC... by Ragas...

..leaving the RAGA-TASK... TOTALLY ... to the Posterity.?

Many of the present generation people are thinking that the Great Composer... has composed only the Lyrics...

..but NOT SET TO MUSIC.!

NO.. Annamayya has composed all his Sankeerthanas mostly in the standard Keerthana Format of Pallavi, Anupallavi and Saranam.

And also tuned them to Music... since SUNG BY HIM... EXTEMPORE.

Those Lyrics ALONGWITH THE RELEVENT RAGAS...he has documented in the Copper-plates.. IN ORIGINAL.

[html:1c1e4e896f]

[/html:1c1e4e896f]

Quote Originally Posted by TTD
    Tallapaka Annamacharya, the Srivaisnavate saint composer ( 1408 – 1503 AD ) has composed over 32,000 songs in Telugu. These songs are popularly known as ‘Sankeertanas’. Another synonym for these songs is ‘pada’. Out of these, nearly 13,000 songs of Annamacharya, written on copper plates were discovered at the ‘sankeertana Bhandara’ in the Temple atop the sacred Tirumala hills. The authorities of the Tirumala Tirupati Devastanam ( TTD ) have got these copper plates, researched and edited by scholars and these have been printed & published.

Rallapalli Ananthakrishna Sharma has played a significant role in this project. He involved in the research & editing work of nearly 8000 songs during 1950 – 1974.

He has also set the music to 120 of these songs.

Annamachraya has mentioned only the ragam of his compositions in these copper plates.

Annamacharya has composed in 80 different ragas that were popular in his time, some of these ragas are very popular others are not.

There is no mention about the dhatu & talam. Rallapalli Ananthakrishna Sharma has set the music to the songs by his vivid imagination of the possible dhatu & suitable talam, while maintaining the same ragam as mentioned in these plates; this is a special feature of his work, preserving the originality of Annamacharya’s songs. These songs have been published. The common and popular ragas are Shankarabharana, Bhairavi, Mukhari, Kambhoji etc.

Some of the ragas used by Annamacharya, were almost not in use, however in order to revive these ragas, Rallapalli Sharma did extensive research on these ragas and set the music in these ragas only. This is another notable & unique feature of Rallapalli’s work. A few such ragas being Samantha, Shudda-vasantha, Deshakshi, Salanga-nata etc.
    But unlike Thyagaraja.... who has also documented all his Keerthanas alongwith Swara Notations...

[html:1c1e4e896f]

[/html:1c1e4e896f]...Annamayya has not mentioned the SWARA NOTATIONS... but only the RAGA NAME.

Not only Annamayya, many other popular Vaaggeyakaras including the Sangeetha Pithamaha Purandaradasa, Subrahmanya Deekshithar, Shyama Sastri, Swathi Thirunaalh...

..have mentioned only the Ragas and Thalas... but NOT DOCUMENTED THEIR ORIGINAL TUNE...

..as sung and INTENDED by the Composers.

Why so.?

In those days... Sangeetha was considered STRICTLY AS... the DIVINE NAADA-UPASANA...

..to be learnt and practiced ONLY by AUDIO TEACHING...

...true to the sense of the word SRUTHI... ..similar to VEDAS LEARNING....

...NOT BY TEXT READING... but by Audio method only.

Consequently... the Keerthanas can be sung in DIFFERENT TUNES (METTUS) ...under the Same Raga...

...originally intended by the respective Vaggeyakara...

..except Thyagaraja Keerthanas... where the Music Tuning has been documented... IN TOTAL...

...by the Vaggeyakara Composer Thyagaraja only... BY ORIGINAL in all respects.!

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone please give me the meaning of the song

"chaluvaku vediki sariki sari".. (I hope I got the spelling correct)
    I have the audio of the song by Sri BMK. it is a wonderful song with a jaunty tune.

I will be able to appreciate the song even more if I know the meaning!!

thanks

chandramouli

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123