Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Coen Brothers

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading Charles Portis's "True Grit" at the moment.

The Opening paragraph of old woman reminiscing: "People do not give it credence that a 14-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day. I was just 14 years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shot my father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas and robbed him of his life and horse and $150 in cash money plus two California gold pieces that he carried in his trouser band. "

Opening paragraph of Cormac Mccarthy's NCFOM starts with old Sheriff musing,
    "I SENT ONE BOY to the gaschamber at Huntsville. One and only one. My arrest and my testimony. I went up there and visited with him two or three times. Three times. The last time was the day of his execution. I didnt have to go but I did. I sure didnt want to. He'd killed a fourteen year old girl and I can tell you right now I never did have no great desire to visit with him let alone go to his execution but I done it."

From unseen (insignificant) 14 year old teen victim of their previous 1980's "Western" (that had an elegiac tone, serving to mind the death of Old Wild West), they jump right into the peak of Wilderness, 1800's (voice narrated from tail-end of the bloody West, 1928) through POV of a revenge-seeking 14 year old girl protagonist.

Trailer of "True Grit":
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    "The wicked flee when none pursueth." I'd be damned if Coens don't open the film with this quote. #TrueGrit #CharlesPortis #BookofProverbs

Book adaptation is always a tricky matter. As films are of far shorter length, much of the original book will be left on the cutting room floor, which could be flasfemous to those who loved the original form. However, there are some books that benefit from ellipsis.

As I'm reading "True Grit", a fairly short book, I don't think much will be left out (and learning more & more how the earlier adaptation with Wayne didn't get the essence of it. Perhaps why Coen wanted to do a proper adaptation and not remake of that film.)

The opening chapter of Mattie's monologue will be retained as it is (with V-O). And it'll (must) be in her POV. Not in the periphery (like the earlier film, again a missed opportunity that Coens will rectify)

This proverb (half-quoted without the subsequent part on righteous man being the bold lion) closes the opening chapter.

The film, however, should begin with this. (or at least is my prediction)

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meteor (1973) - Revisit.

When folks here applaud to great effort, I am reminded of this film. Great effort, yes, but really screwed up execution. Half-baked effects (surprising for a post Star Wars film) and meandering scripts. But is watchable for its awesome cast. That's why I hold on to the theory, no matter how bad a film is, the movie can be watched again if you got the right folks on screen. Sean Connery, Henry Fonda, Karl Malden, Martin Landau, Brian Keith and the gorgeous Natalie Wood. Clash of acting styles keep you on your toe. Daddy to Armageddon and Deep Impact.

My favourite quote.

Connery (after a really annoying meeting):Why don't you stick a broom up my a**, I can sweep the carpet on my way out.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blood Simple

Good. oru thadavai pAkkalaam.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feddy,
    Have you seen TG? Might go tomorrow...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Illainga, Naan paakala. Went to Little Fockers Instead. Should go in some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just back from True Grit. If I had gone to the film without knowing who had made it, I would have refused to believe it was by the Coens. As a Coen brothers fan I was disappointed. But the film is good. Very witty one-liners (they were not Coen-quirky though) for Jeff Bridges. Drags a little in the middle. A very straight film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    "The wicked flee when none pursueth." I'd be damned if Coens don't open the film with this quote. #TrueGrit #CharlesPortis #BookofProverbs

Book adaptation is always a tricky matter. As films are of far shorter length, much of the original book will be left on the cutting room floor, which could be flasfemous to those who loved the original form. However, there are some books that benefit from ellipsis.

As I'm reading "True Grit", a fairly short book, I don't think much will be left out (and learning more & more how the earlier adaptation with Wayne didn't get the essence of it. Perhaps why Coen wanted to do a proper adaptation and not remake of that film.)

The opening chapter of Mattie's monologue will be retained as it is (with V-O). And it'll (must) be in her POV. Not in the periphery (like the earlier film, again a missed opportunity that Coens will rectify)

This proverb (half-quoted without the subsequent part on righteous man being the bold lion) closes the opening chapter.

The film, however, should begin with this. (or at least is my prediction)
    You are right about the quote and the POV.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast