• It depends

2 50.00%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Intentional Fallacy

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus
    Anyway, if the point of debate was this specific, I wish we had started at this point!

Equa: pfoo ! இதுதான் பிரச்சனைன்னு தெரிஞ்சிருந்தா எப்பவோ தீர்ப்பு சொல்லிருப்பேனே
    இல்ல, நான் அப்படி சொல்ல வரல. என்னையும் சேர்த்து தான் சொன்னேன். This discussion greatly helped me to better understand where I stand on this matter. Given the direction the discussion is taking now, I was just wondering if we were framing our arguments too abstractly to begin with.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Essentially, while your reading about Kamal portraying his own restrictions as a filmmaker via Guna, is interesting. The experience of the filmwatching does not hang on it. Does it ?
    An example of where a film-maker actually allowed such an interpretation to flourish, and possibly hinted it as well - No Smoking - it did nary a thing for me. It falls under Feeyar's "make or break depending on getting the allusion" category I suppose. Whereas, for Gunaa, it is just another additional beautiful reading.

Considering this, one could probably empathise with P_R - which is something that has evolved for me over this thread because I wasnt sure where I stood when this thread started.

Post Thanks / Like
    சித்தரிப்பில் நம்பகத்தன்மை பற்றி

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://dagalti.blogspot.com/2009/07/verisimilitudecredibility-and.html
    writer[/url]]Realism in literature is a pretence and shouldn't stop its pinnacle. The pinnacle would be a hyper-conversation/emotion. A conversation/emotion of such quality is rarely encountered in real life. Perhaps never. So it is an admitted departure from reality. The writer's job is to be credible enough to lead you up until that point.

I think we've digressed way too much already. I started out by responding to Scale's post on UP and MM, but then went on to make a much more general point.

Let's continue this all-important discussion elsewhere.
    How does plausibility differ from believability ?
    My contention is: a small dent on believability can have a disproportionately large negative effect on the viewing experience.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    PR,
    I didn't mean to say plausibility and believability have different connotations. Just that I was talking about it in a specific context -- being concerned primarily about the plausibility. That's the difference I tried to highlight. You say, that is rarely the case. But I think it's much more common than you suggest. Where people review or view a film in an almost mechanical sense. This is how I think rationales like "the fewer the commercial elements (heroism, fight scenes, comedy tracks or what have you) the better the film" originate.

Post Thanks / Like
    And, like I said, the obligation runs both ways. The audience's willingness to believe can't be discounted, just like how the artist's effort to make it look believable can't be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    My contention is: a small dent on believability can have a disproportionately large negative effect on the viewing experience.
    I don't disagree with this at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I also fully agree with what Jeyamohan says. "This doesn't happen in real life" can't be the reasoning to reject a premise in a film. There has to be a more active engagement with the work. That's what I'm saying. As he says, the artist's talent lies in making all the imagined possibilities look believable, and the reader's in recognizing the need to believe in it so as to read/see (or should I say 'experience'?) what the artist imagines.

Post Thanks / Like
    and the reader's in recognizing the need to believe in it so as to read/see
    Oh....this is what you meant-A when you said it works both ways. This is a difficult point.

For instance when going to novels says a few years back in time I have delude myself with a lie like: அந்த காலத்துல அப்பிடி பேசிருப்பாங்க போல. I manage to do that reasonably well unless the Novel makes some Victorian demands on me in the conversation !

But with a film it is a much bigger challenge.

Personal sidenote: This insistence on believability has scuttled many a story attempt of mine (தமிழ்த்தாய்'s natural check mechanism I guess ).

Me: ஒரு ஊருல..
    Mini me: (interrupts) நம்புற மாதிரியே இல்லை

Post Thanks / Like
    அது என்னமோ தெர்ல என்ன மாயமோ தெர்ல...ஒரு விஷயத்தைப் பத்தி பேச்ட்டு (அ) சிந்தனையா இருந்துட்டு அப்புறம் எதையாச்சும் படிச்சா, படிக்கிறதெல்லாம் அதுக்குத் தொடர்பாவே இருக்கு.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=498
    JM[/url]]நேரடியான தத்துவக் கூற்றுகளாக கருத்துக்களை முன்வைக்காமல் புனைவுக்குள் அவற்றைப் பொருத்தி, புனைவின் பகுதிகளாக ஒலிக்கச் செய்யும் தேவை அவற்றை இயற்றியவர்களுக்கு இருந்திருக்கிறது.

அந்தத் தேவை என்ன? புனைவு என்பது வாழ்வின் செறிவுபடுத்தப்பட்ட வடிவம். அப்படி தீவிரப்படுத்தப்பட்ட வாழ்க்கையின் பரப்பில் வைத்து தத்துவத்தை பரிசீலிக்கவும் விளக்கவும் வேண்டிய ஒரு கட்டாயம் இருந்திருக்கிறது இந்நூல்களின் ஆசிரியர்களுக்கு. பிரம்ம சூத்திரம் போல தூய தத்துவமாக இத்தரிசனங்களைக் கூறுவதற்குப் பதில் வாழ்வின் உச்ச நிலைகளாக முன்வைக்க விரும்பியிருக்கிறார்கள். அதாவது உபநிடதங்களில் வாழ்வில் இருந்து நேரடியாக தத்துவத்திற்குப் போகும் ஒரு ‘பாதை’ உள்ளது. அந்தப் பாதை மிக முக்கியமானது. சொல்லப்போனால், தத்துவம் அளவுக்கே அது முக்கியமானது.

இன்னும்கூட ஒன்றைச் சொல்லலாம், ஒரு தத்துவ தரிசனத்தை புனைவுத்தருணமாக மாற்றுவதன் மூலம் தத்துவ நூலுக்கு சாத்தியமில்லாத ஒரு கவித்துவத்தை உபநிடதங்கள் அடைகின்றன. தத்துவநூல் தூய தர்க்கம் மூலம் நம்மிடம் பேசுகிறது. அதில் கற்பனைக்கோ உள்ளுணர்வுக்கோ இடமில்லை. தத்துவத்தை புனைவுக்குள் தள்ளுவதன் மூலம் கற்பனையின் விரிவுக்கும் உள்ளுணர்வின் நுட்பமான ஊடுருவலுக்கும் இடம் ஏற்படுத்தித் தருகிறார் ஆசிரியர்!
    and....

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=6727
    JM[/url]]பெரும்பாலான ஆன்மீக அனுபவங்கள் அகவயமானவை. அவற்றை புறவயமாக விவாதிக்க முடியாது. ஏன் ஆன்மீகம் என்று செல்லவேண்டும். ஒரு கதையை நான் எப்படி உள்வாங்கி எழுதினேன் என்று நான் விவரிக்கிறேன் என்றிருக்கட்டும். நீங்கள் என்னிடம் விவாதிக்கமுடியுமா என்ன? அது என் சொந்த அனுபவம் அல்லவா?

நீங்கள் செய்வதற்கு ஒன்றே உள்ளது. ஒன்று, நீங்கள் அதைக்கூர்ந்து கவனித்து நான் சொல்லும் அனுபவத்திற்குள் நுழைய முயலலாம். அல்லது அதை நிராகரித்துவிடலாம்.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read this in the wiki page about the film Mullholland Drive

On the other hand, Justin Theroux said of Lynch's feelings on the multiple meanings people perceive in the film, "I think he's genuinely happy for it to mean anything you want."
    rANayAmA:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast