Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: P G Wodehouse

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wartime speeches from the german prisoners' camp are brilliant - self-deprecation, humour, spoof of his captors, needles in the banana. Ofcourse, it was all lost on the British Government, which exiled him. There used to be an online link which I dont find now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    வருக வருக

Like Plum said, " no great writer except me.....& PGW came at the right moment in the story - but i was not at all prepared - so i just lolled.
    No writer any good except me. Tolstoi and PG Wodehouse not bad. Not good..but not bad

Thank you
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Post Thanks / Like
    Following is too good a discussion to go into the dustbins of Coffee Corner history.
    Zero alias Equa will probably remind me that this particular trick(quote) I have already performed(used) in the internet world somewhere, and probably add insult to injury by quoting said link but it is my duty to archive this here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_glove
    Comedy could be described just as easily in words. Books could replace that. Slapstick, maybe not as effectively
    Wodehouse fossifle. The following will not sound as good as when it is in context but if you know, then here's verbal slapstick for you:
    Scene: Psmith(The fun's double if you know his character) and his silent, strong friend Mike end up picking a fight with a mob that runs after them baying for blood. A scuffle ensues and here's how one of the antagonists bites the dust:
    He met the left upper-hook with his face, spun and sat down. He took no further part in the proceedings.
    Actually, not verbatim. Verbatim has a greater effect. And in context, the imagery it invokes is undeniably, hilariously slapstick.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Summer Lightning, Baxter jumps out* of the window of Galahad's room and lands in the garden. First only the noise is heard and then Lord Emsworth discovers him:

"Upon the garden bed of lobelias was something that profoundly not a lobelia. It was the efficient Baxter on all fours"

* baxter defenestrates because Galahad enters the room when Baxter is trying to pinch the manuscript of his reminiscences, which Gregory Parsloe Parsloe fears may not bode well for his election ticket prospects with the Conservative party.

PGW intoduces the situation (of why Sir Gregory fears the book) thus. (sic) "Sir Gregory led an impeccable life up until the age of twenty. After thirty he had settled down to the peace and quite becoming of the landed gentry. The intervening ten years (I always start laughing here that I don't recall how that sentence finishes)
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to read that one again. Isnt it the one where there is intrigue with the pig-men - I badly need to catchup with Wodehouse again? Once upon a time, I used to be able to recite books off head

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    I need to read that one again. Isnt it the one where there is intrigue with the pig-men - I badly need to catchup with Wodehouse again? Once upon a time, I used to be able to recite books off head
    Summer Lightning is the one where Ronnie Fish falls in love with a choir girl Sue Brown. Surely Aunt Constance is not going to approve that so to he tries to garner Emsworth's support (and some money) by pretending to like pigs. But Emsworth sees him bouncing tennis balls off Empress () and he has to devise a kidnapping plan - with Beach as his accomplice - to come out as the hero. Parallely Constance hires Baxter to retrieve Galahad's reminscences, whose publication prospects gives Sir Gregory parsloe parsloe the shivers. Add to it private investigator Pilbeam a host of impersonations and what not. It is my favorite Blandings novel.

The foreword is hilarious. Got an exceprt from a blog.

Quote Originally Posted by PGW
    A certain critic--for such men, I regret to say, do exist--made the nasty remark about my last novel that it contained 'all the old Wodehouse characters under different names.' He has probably by now been eaten by bears, like the children who made mock of the prophet Elisha: but if he still survives he will not be able to make a similar charge against Summer Lightning. With my superior intelligence, I have outgeneralled the man this time by putting in all the old Wodehouse characters under the same names. Pretty silly it will make him feel, I rather fancy.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A certain critic--for such men, I regret to say, do exist--made the nasty remark about my last novel that it contained 'all the old Wodehouse characters under different names.' He has probably by now been eaten by bears, like the children who made mock of the prophet Elisha: but if he still survives he will not be able to make a similar charge against Summer Lightning. With my superior intelligence, I have outgeneralled the man this time by putting in all the old Wodehouse characters under the same names. Pretty silly it will make him feel, I rather fancy.
    Ultimate piss-taking.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Ultimate piss-taking.

Andha critic yaru petha pullayo ?? Indha aasamikitta vaya kuduthu matikitta avlodhan......aram padiye konnruvaru !!!

BTW, kid-glove, terrific avtar - deadly combo !

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks my man, a man of taste !
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just relax…..

1. “ How long I remained motionless, like a ventriloquist’s dummy whose ventriloquist has gone off to the local and left it sitting, I cannot say “ .

What a comparison !!! Really gifted.

2. “ Now his face was drawn and his general demeanour that of an incautious luncher who discovers when there is no time to draw back that he has swallowed a rather too elderly oyster “ .

His thinking & articulating capabalities goes beyond any unimaginable proportions !!! This punch of his, pervades almost word to word throughout this novel

- from Stiff upper lip Jeeves.

And, the dog’s name is Bartholomew .

Sabapathi is as humorous a title as Bartholomew .

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast