Page 72 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Naaz View Post
    Music4Ever -

Yes, heavy duty Tamizh lyrics, indeed! My Senthamizh is somewhere between nowhere and non-existent, hence I too discovered the nuance and cadence of that Thirupugazh verse by following the script. It makes a huge difference! Do share your thoughts after this experiment? Thanks.
    Honestly, I never looked at the lyrics when I heard the song, but, while hearing it, suspected a preponderance of la, `middle' la, and zha (using the basic SSLC-level senthamizh that I can boast off). I still have not listened to the song along with the lyrics and I intend to do so at my own leisure Thank you once again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Music4Ever -

While you've answered your own question, here is the original verse by Arunagirinathar. You could follow the script while listening to the song and you will discover that VJ's rendition is immaculate.

"ஏவினை நேர்விழி மாதரை மேவிய
    ஏதனை மூடனை நெறிபேணா
    ஈனனை வீணனை ஏடெழு தாமுழு
    ஏழையை மோழையை அகலாநீள்
    மாவினை மூடிய நோய்பிணி யாளனை
    வாய்மையி லாதனை இகழாதே
    மாமணி நூபுர சீதள தாள்தனி
    வாழ்வுற ஈவது மொருநாளே
    நாவலர் பாடிய நூலிசை யால்வரு
    நாரதனார் புகல் குறமாதை
    நாடியெ கானிடை கூடியசேவக
    நாயக மாமயி லுடையோனே
    தேவி மனோமணி யாயிபராபரை
    தேன்மொழி யாள்தரு சிறியோனே
    சேணுயர் சோலையி னீழலி லேதிகழ்
    சீரலை வாய்வரு பெருமாளே."
    Almost impeccable except at one place where she says seethana instead of seethaLa. When I heard the song without lyrics I was not sure the word "mozhaiyai" (whatever that means) would follow "yezhayai". I was wrong. Excellent singing by Vani Jayaram, the lady who sang "machaane achaaram podu", and "thirumurugan aruginile valli kuraththi", if I recall correctly. Her voice is so good even now, as if time stopped for the last 40 odd years!
    Last edited by Music4Ever; 1st March 2015 at 06:31 AM.

4. Thanks Naaz thanked for this post
    Likes Naaz liked this post
    Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music4Ever -

Yes, I noticed that too. Made me think if the script was handwritten / typed by somebody and passed on to the MD? It could be an unintended scripting error / typo , perhaps? Of course, VJ would not have known the original verse to identify the error.

Love the way she emotes "Igazhaathae". A lovely word!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And thank you for mentioning Machchaanae and Thirumurugan. Paalabishekam and Mayor Meenaatchi? Could be wrong!

Here's another bit of news that came in today:

http://home.mykollywood.com/2015/02/...day-8th-march/
    Last edited by Naaz; 2nd March 2015 at 05:47 AM.

6. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Likes Music4Ever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music4Ever -

Yes, I noticed that too. Made me think if the script was handwritten / typed by somebody and passed on to the MD? It could be an unintended scripting error / typo , perhaps? Of course, VJ would not have known the original verse to identify the error.

Love the way she emotes "Igazhaathae". A lovely word!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And thank you for mentioning Machchaanae and Thirumurugan. Paalabishekam and Mayor Meenaatchi? Could be wrong!

Here's another bit of news that came in today:

http://home.mykollywood.com/2015/02/...day-8th-march/
    Wow, you remember even the movie names. That was probably the time when parents used to take us only for Sivaji movies (Pattikaada pattanama, Gouravam, Thanga padhakkam etc)! Don't know when this fascination for Vani Jayaram's voice started, but I remember being enchanted with "Ezhu swarangalukkul" first and then later by many an MSV number with Vani Jayaram figuring majorly (recall the following immediately: Noolveli song that goes "Naana, paaduvathu naana?", Andha ezhu naatkal song that goes "Enni irunthathu eedera"). I guess I am conversing with a big-time fan so the examples I gave may not amount to much

8. Thanks Naaz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music4Ever -

There are other "big time" fans here on this thread with expansive knowledge and better memories - Neel D and Saravanan have no equal. When you have the time, I'd recommend reading the older posts on this the only VJ thread on TFMpage. It is a treasure trove of data, analysis, discussion, and VJ trivia. And all written with great thought and regard.

Noolveli also had another lovely duet (VJ-SPB): Veenai Sirippu, Aasai Azhaippu, Vedham Paadattumaa...

MSV offered some great solos to VJ: Pongum Kadalosai, Naadhamenum Kovililae, Veru Idam Thaedi Povaalo, Chandira Pirai Paarththaen, Mannulagil Indru Devan Irangi Varugiraar, Sugamaana Raagangalae...I could go on and on.

Here's a Sivaji movie memory for you:
    Last edited by Naaz; 5th March 2015 at 12:15 AM.

10. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz, yes, "Veenai sirippu" is always an enjoyable number from MSV. Since I have not heard it for about thirty odd years, I recall faintly the mridangam (or was it the guitar or a combination of both) interludes that MSV was famous for. Should watch it on Youtube to check whether my memory is playing tricks. How about Samudra rajakumari? Wasn't that by SPB and VJ? Ah, that mridangam after the opening words. Has Saravanan stopped writing? I used to read his write-ups long back (yes, I am a long-time follower of TFMpage but write sparingly). I also know that Neel D is a huge VJ fan.

12. Thanks Naaz thanked for this post
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

VaNi Jayaram in Meera(1979)

I listen to Meera bhajans by M.S, VaNi Jayaram, Lata Mangeshkar and others.

This rendition of "E ri main to prem diwani...." by VaNi Jayaram was very moving. I thought I should post it here.

From Meera(1979)

E ri mein to prem diwani....

If you don't like Hindi songs let me know. I won't post any.

Saravanan has confined himself to Dhool !
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

14. Thanks Naaz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music4Ever -

Here's a link to the Veenai Sirippu...Audio quality is below par, but still better to have it than not. If you can believe it, neither MSV nor VJ have been conferred with a "Padma" award -- not even a Padmasri. How odd is that?
    Saravanan is a class apart. An archivist / fan / aficionado with a golden, flawless pen.

rajraj -

That is divine. All songs from that film are. Thanks for sharing.

16. Thanks Music4Ever thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz, Thank you for the link to that "veenai sirippu" song. How many times I must have heard this number by MSV those days! It is indeed a total travesty that MSV and VJ have not been conferred with the "Padma" awards. As MSV says whenever he gets the chance, however, "enakku makkal manadhil irundhaal podhum adhuve periya award". Remember the days I used to wait for Ninathale inikkum songs at 4 p.m. on Sunday evening (AIR). Used to count the number of times the instrumental closing (apologies for the inability to express it in a better way) of "adhisaya malar mugam thinasari pala ragam" occurred as the the song trailed off to its closure ... VJ and SPB again.

Rajraj, listened to the song that you posted. It is a soothing number. Thanks.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber priya32's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Music4Ever View Post
    Naaz, yes, "Veenai sirippu" is always an enjoyable number from MSV. Since I have not heard it for about thirty odd years, I recall faintly the mridangam (or was it the guitar or a combination of both) interludes that MSV was famous for. Should watch it on Youtube to check whether my memory is playing tricks. How about Samudra rajakumari? Wasn't that by SPB and VJ? Ah, that mridangam after the opening words. Has Saravanan stopped writing? I used to read his write-ups long back (yes, I am a long-time follower of TFMpage but write sparingly). I also know that Neel D is a huge VJ fan.
    samudhra rAja Kumari!

The mrithangam in this song and konjam malar manjam is the ultimate of MSV. I wish there was a video of 'konjum malar manjam'!

Page 72 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast