PDA

View Full Version : Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

dakaltiz
12th September 2012, 08:48 AM
That small roll of hi-hat is such delectation to hear. How minute we hear that sound, may be first I am hearing this very clearly. I used to rewind this piece 'n' number of times.

V_S, Awesome write up. I guess the roll is on the cymbals on not hi-hat. This one roll is enuf to explain the talent this drummer is...amazing.

I don't remember when I posted in this forum the last time but I've been a very active reader of all the posts. I've enjoyed and learnt a lot from all of you regular folks here (RS, Suresh65, V_S, Jai, thumburu, Shank, Kamesh, vel, kiru, raagas, etc etc...the list goes on.) Thank you Guys... NEPV sure has made me come out of the shell to post something...as it did with few others too...this is a magical album and sure to be cherished by generations to come. I would call it "A Study of Raja's Genre".

venkkiram
12th September 2012, 08:48 AM
Dhoni ellaam, as a subject, avarai konjam kooda excite pannirukka vaaippillai. ASK et all, NEPV maathiri new blood illai. . No Sakala. Dhoni and ASK - Both have good plot and songs. NEPV - we cant comment until the plot revealed.

groucho070
12th September 2012, 09:07 AM
Wanted to vote multiple, but felt its not right. Voted for Pengal Endral.

kiru
12th September 2012, 11:26 AM
[FONT=verdana][SIZE=2].. One of the biggest contrasts of this song compared to pengaL yendraal is the way he arranged and orchestrated both the songs. We should even add Satru Munbu here to see all three solos with almost similar situation carrying contrasting styles. One is purely based on rock genres, this one is based on rock classical while Satru munbu is based on opera classical.

I think this is a pretty accurate characterization. Muthal Murai I think is basically a rock song (as V_S says the "genre is same as" later on). The man has switched out the electric guitar for the string section in a lot of places. This helps the song to be more palatable to the mainstream audience. But the drumming gives away what genre it is . (similar switch out is done in vaanam mella oboe in place of the standard celtic electric fiddle).
Awesome writeup V_S .. great song. I am unable to rank songs in this movie. I would go with a "stack ranking" model and put saRRu munbu, muthal murai and vaanam mella in the top stack.

musiukunit
12th September 2012, 11:43 AM
. No Sakala. Dhoni and ASK - Both have good plot and songs. NEPV - we cant comment until the plot revealed.

So true..I think a lot of songs of raaja over the years have been equally fresh and good. The only difference is this movie is purely for a mainstream movie, for the youth and urban taste. Sadly just shows the commodatisation / urbanisation of the taste for music. For the FM generation the first 4 lines should be catchy..no care about interludes, charanams or the song as a whole. Not many seem to enjoy different songs like kudhikira from ASK (i still remember one person saying look how ilaiyaraja has a spoilt voice without even linking the character and song ) or Kurangu kayil from ME or Vanngum panathukku from Dhoni...These are brillinat songs, peppy numbers but need a different taste and doesnt go with the usual taste of youth. Thats the only difference

groucho070
12th September 2012, 12:11 PM
V_S missed out your posts, will look for it when I get time.

Punnaimaran
12th September 2012, 03:49 PM
Suresh65, senthilv.com, app_eng, V_S :clap: Thank you for the beautiful reviews.

இந்த இசையைப் பற்றி ஓரிரு வார்த்தை எழுதலாம் என அமர்ந்தேன், ஒன்றும் எழுத வரவில்லை; விழியோரங்களில் ஈரம் மட்டுமே மிஞ்சியது....., இந்த நிலையைத் தான் இவர் இப்படி சொன்னாரோ ??

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

app_engine
12th September 2012, 07:17 PM
'saRRu munbu pArththa mEgham mARippOga'...

Sureshji's write-up possibly accurately describes this as the color-change of the clouds, from a brightening silvery white to sudden darkness, followed by lightning and thunder that depict the shattering of the dreams of the girl ("nenjaikkeeRippOga").

While musing on that, a slightly alternate thought came up in my mind. It may be incorrect (going by the thundering orch), but still another thought, on the pallavi lines.

The west often romanticizes sun, equating cloud with gloominess / depression. ("I saw sunshine on a cloudy day, when it's cold outside I got the month of May, I guess -you say- what can make me feel this way? My girl! "). If we go along that west-style thought, cloud-rain is a shattering of love and dismal end. In other words, a tragic 'saRRu munbu'.

OTOH, from a TN POV, cloud / rain is often romanticized.

For e.g., while westerners try to escape from the snowy north to warm and sunny Florida for vacation, we TN-ers in hot Madurai / Chennai / Trichy long to go to Ooty / Kodaikkanal to kiss clouds and enjoy. Most part of TN being 'vAnam pArththa bhoomi', rain is often linked to blessing & prosperity. In turn, clouds that bring rain are seen as a refreshing change from the fiery sun and are mostly welcome :-)

Occasionally, even our TFM poets appreciate this fact. ('rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal, en mEgham un koondhal'...'mEghamE, thoodhAga vA, azhagin ArAdhanai' are quick IR song examples that come to mind).

That way, the mEgham that came up 'saRRu munbu' may be some sort of a rain cloud that appeared on a dry hot day. The dryness can be attributed to the lack of love / lover for a long time ('pAlai') and suddenly there's an appearance of him back again in her life. Like the refreshing rain cloud. Rekindling the old romance. (Remember 'sAindhu sAindhu', the first love, too happens in rain).

Unfortunately, that refreshing rain cloud, that appears 'saRRu munbu' is so brief and got swept away by a powerful wind :-(

'mARippOga', could mean another sudden turn of events - i.e. after briefly, temporarily giving hope of good times coming back again, there's sudden change and the cloud disappered...only to expose the scorching sun again.

veRumai. thanimai. Again.

We'll have to wait and see how Gautam shows the song on screen :-)

San_K
12th September 2012, 07:38 PM
Among current directors, I rate selvaragavan higher for picturisation of songs. But while Gautham climbing up HJ -> ARR --> IR, selva is going down.

V_S
12th September 2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you very much venkki, dakaltiz, kiru, punnaimaran for your appreciation.:smile:

சற்று முன்பு, முதல் முறை இரண்டிலும் பாடல் வரிகள் ரொம்ப கச்சிதமா அதே நேரத்தில் காதலின் பிரிவை, சோகத்தை, வலியை, இயலாமையை, வெறுமையை ரொம்ப தீவிரமாக வெளிப்படுத்துகிறது.

ரம்யா, சுனிதாவின் குரல் ஏற்ற இறக்கங்கள் - இந்த ஆல்பத்தை எங்கேயோ போய் நிறுத்துகின்றது. ஆமாம். சாகா வரம் பெற்ற பாடல்கள்.
venkki,
Yes I totally agree with everything you said.:thumbsup: Best female solos we ever heard in recent times. Thanks for your recommendation, I will listen today.

dakaltiz,
Thanks for the correction on hi-hat/cymbal. Great to see you post after a long time. All credit to Maestro and NEPV. Please post often, ungaL sEvai engaLukku thEvai. :smile:

grouch,
Please take your time.:smile:

V_S
12th September 2012, 07:41 PM
Fantastic App. :clap: :clap: Never clicked this. What a wonderful thought! Adhu eppadi sir, Maestro music'a eppadi analyse paNNaalum correct'AvE varudhu. He is just a single person and this is a single song, but the perspective we get is infinite. :notworthy:

Sureshs65
12th September 2012, 08:28 PM
V_S,

Super writeup. Lot of great details.

San_K,

Ha Ha Ha. I am not lazy like you man. I instantly go for the rewind button when 'mudhal murai' plays. Because I know when the next song starts I can't go back :)

irir123,

'ranagalam'. Super description for this album. He has run riot without doubt.

Sureshs65
12th September 2012, 08:28 PM
app,

Lovely interpretation. Yes, in our context that too makes sense. As V_S says, one song and so many interpretations :) That is Raja.

app_engine
12th September 2012, 08:32 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

This song, satRu munbu, is a treasure!

I was happy when BRangan wrote nicely about the song (disappointed, however, that he wanted Sunithi to sing this. I feel Ramya has done a wonderful job and very apt choice for the number).

Also disappointed that our friend vijayr didn't have good words about even this wonderful number :-( I think he is so upset with IRFs that somehow got into his psyche to take away his appreciative spirit totally...it appears he looks at anything that IR produces new with a totally negative outlook.

app_engine
12th September 2012, 08:35 PM
nanRi, Sureshji!

I think my thoughts were a little bit influenced by that IR-Gautham show on Jaya TV...

Let's see how it turns out on screen, I really want to see this movie - for the sake of these wonderful songs!

V_S
12th September 2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks a lot Suresh ji. yaam petRa inbam peruga ivvayyagam. :smile:

Senareb
12th September 2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHU32XPM6M&feature=player_detailpage

Sureshs65
12th September 2012, 09:32 PM
app,

You can clearly see that vijayr has gone into another zone where he cannot just hear anything as sounding good coming from Raja. Last time when we had an argument there, he said that 'SreeRamaRajyam' was basically a tired and cliched effort (or something to that effect) I then stopped discussing. I think V_S did the same. Anyway, to each their own. We will continue with Raja for we don't want to miss the pleasure.

venkkiram
12th September 2012, 09:46 PM
சுதந்திர காற்றை சுவாசித்தது போல இருக்குது மையத்துல... "ஸ்ரேயா கோஷல் தவிர இன்னொரு உலகம் இருக்கிறது...அதிலும் பல பெண் பாடகிகள் திறமையானவர்கள்" என்பதை உணர்த்திய ராஜாவுக்கு நன்றி சொல்லணும். ஜனநாயகத்தில் இந்த மொனோபொலி அதீத-துதிபாடல் தாங்க முடியல. இப்போ ரம்யா, சுனிதா என்ற திறமையான ஆளுமைகள் கிடைத்திருக்கின்றன. Hats off Girls!

Plum
12th September 2012, 11:08 PM
Monopoly - thiRamai irukku monopoly seyyuRANga? summA varuvALA sugumAri? Shreya is way above her competition - adhukku yAru enna seyya mudiyum?

Shinde simply isnt good enough. Yes, Sunidhi does well in her song but that doesnt mean she has with one song become the equal of Shreya.

Democracy thollai thAnga mudiyalnu nAnum solluvEn :huh:

(GVP is equal to Rahman, Thaman song is equal to MSV song, Anil kapoor performance equal to Sivaji performance( we should not look at their reputation, particular performance mattum consider paNNanum) ) etc.

marnsZet
12th September 2012, 11:16 PM
http://idlyvadai.blogspot.in/2012/09/blog-post_12.html

Ellorum commenting about IR though this come back comment is all wrong IMO

K
12th September 2012, 11:34 PM
http://www.tamilaathi.com/2012/09/blog-post_12.html

நீதானே என் பொன் வசந்தம் பாடல்களில் 5 பாடல்கள் எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்துள்ளன என்று சொன்னால், நண்பர்கள் மத்தியில் அது ஒரு அதிர்ச்சியான செய்தியாக இருக்கும்! காரணம் இந்தப் பாடல்கள் பற்றி, மோசமான கருத்துகள் எழுதி, குறிப்பாக பாடல்களைக் கேட்கும் போது வாந்தி வருகுது என்று கூட எழுதிவிட்டேன்!

Fulla padinga

app_engine
12th September 2012, 11:37 PM
Fulla padinga

already alasified in the TF section, sir :-)

K
12th September 2012, 11:42 PM
Im only at TFM Page sir, Ippa thaan TF section la poi pathen.

raja_fan
13th September 2012, 07:17 AM
http://www.tamilaathi.com/2012/09/blog-post_12.html

நீதானே என் பொன் வசந்தம் பாடல்களில் 5 பாடல்கள் எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்துள்ளன என்று சொன்னால், நண்பர்கள் மத்தியில் அது ஒரு அதிர்ச்சியான செய்தியாக இருக்கும்! காரணம் இந்தப் பாடல்கள் பற்றி, மோசமான கருத்துகள் எழுதி, குறிப்பாக பாடல்களைக் கேட்கும் போது வாந்தி வருகுது என்று கூட எழுதிவிட்டேன்!

Fulla padinga

Half baked rubbish !

irir123
13th September 2012, 07:20 AM
even as I (alongwith others) soak in the NEPV phenomenon, a few things appear to be jarring

so far to whoever i played NEPV amongst my friends circle, everyone liked it, especially 'mudhal murai' and 'satru munbu' - comments have ranged from 'exotic', 'amazingly done' etc

however, when they want to know abt the 'band' - yes! everyone here thinks its a band! and want to know who produced it/wrote the songs etc etc ! thats how things are looked at here

and when I explain abt IR the composer, they are even more stunned and yet, there is still no single official site where they can access information abt him!

thats a bit frustrating - but i must admit that getting this album released through SONY is the best thing that has happened to it! all credit goes to GVM in this aspect

I only wish SONY goes a step further and promote this album as a unique, crossover genre album in the international market as well - which it rightfully deserves as well

V_S
13th September 2012, 07:35 AM
Even with Sony, the same sad state continues with respect to IR's CD availability in Chennai. CD is not available in any landmarks, shankaras, what a pity! One of my friend who just came from India, came with a empty hand having tried several places. :sad: The biggest joke is (I don't remember the shop name, will confirm again) when he told me about one shop when he inquired about NEPV CD, he told him immediately that, they don't sell IR's CDs. :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
13th September 2012, 10:26 AM
Also disappointed that our friend vijayr didn't have good words about even this wonderful number :-( I think he is so upset with IRFs that somehow got into his psyche to take away his appreciative spirit totally...it appears he looks at anything that IR produces new with a totally negative outlook.
If i read it right, he even says it's a rip-off from "Konjam Konjam" from Yuvan (Arindhum Ariyaamalum) :lol2:
Ini IR enna (i mean enna) pannaalum vijayr ku ellaam pudikkaporadhilla... free-a vitra vendiyadhu dhaan

P.S: For the overwhelming negative wave going there in the comments section, BR perusa maatru karuthu vechadhaagavo, object pannadhaagavo therila :(

Bala (Karthik)
13th September 2012, 10:30 AM
app,

You can clearly see that vijayr has gone into another zone where he cannot just hear anything as sounding good coming from Raja. Last time when we had an argument there, he said that 'SreeRamaRajyam' was basically a tired and cliched effort (or something to that effect) I then stopped discussing. I think V_S did the same. Anyway, to each their own. We will continue with Raja for we don't want to miss the pleasure.
He has been saying that from Mumbai Xpress. This is how ANY of those "discussions" with him goes
X: "I love that song. Raaja has done magic there"
vijayr: "Indha technique-a naama <insert 80/90 Raaja song>-laye paathaachu. Nothing new"
vijayr: "It's a note for note match with <earlier IR/Yuvan/KR song>"

kid-glove
13th September 2012, 10:35 AM
There's no point in discussing with him, it turns in to javvu time wasting exercise.

groucho070
13th September 2012, 11:40 AM
grouch,
Please take your time.:smile:

Padichachu, again speechless. Especially loved the Pengal Enral write-up. kAlaiyileyE familya torture pannitinggala :lol:

Sureshji, finished reading your blog posts. Such great contributors you guys are :thumbsup:

app_engine
13th September 2012, 07:07 PM
P_R warms up to NEPV :-) (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9923-Song-of-the-Open-Road-(Latest-song-heard-Part-10)&p=952115&viewfull=1#post952115)

Sunidhi Chauhan :clap: Exland, wondraful, marvlous - best song in the album for me thus far.
When the chorus and orchestra hit 'nee dhaanE en pon vasandham' - hits the spot 'mbAingaLE. What a surge!

V_S
13th September 2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot grouch. :smile: pengaL endraal almost morning alarm for me much to the disguise of my wife and kids.:lol:

Sureshs65
13th September 2012, 08:09 PM
groucho,

Thanks

app,

I have confidence in P_R's taste. So he will end up liking NEPV :lol:

P_R
13th September 2012, 08:33 PM
:lol: ippadi ellAm pressure pOdAdheenga.

Was WFH today. Ran through the album some 20 times. thiraipaadalukku koduththa nankodaiyai orE naaL-la vasool paNNiyAchchu. :mrgreen:
Nesst CD-yai vaangi car-la pOttu vittA sOli mudinju pOgum.

ennOdu vA vA enRu solla mAttEn :musicsmile:

venkkiram
13th September 2012, 08:38 PM
P_R... NEPV songs neenga ketka Arambiththa Neram - Avatar-yum maathittinga. Romba terror-aa irukku :)

Shankar.P
13th September 2012, 09:04 PM
எடுத்த வாந்தியை திரும்ப விழுங்கியதற்கு நன்றி திரு.கே

irir123
13th September 2012, 09:21 PM
can anyone share here, what the sleevenotes of the NEPV CD say ? do they mention the recording and mastering studio names, as well as the Hungarian musicians involved ?

would be much grateful if someone can upload/attach the NEPV CD cover information as a picture

thanks in advance

raja_fan
13th September 2012, 09:28 PM
Any one here a member of http://www.facebook.com/groups/IlayaRajafans/ ?

I am suddenly seeing this message when I try to access the page :

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th September 2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.screen4screen.com/na-muthukumar-interview/

இசைஞானி தந்த இனிய வசந்தம்

September 11, 2012 by Editor (http://www.screen4screen.com/author/s4sadmin/) ·

SCREEN4SCREEN.COMக்கு நா.முத்துக்குமார் அளித்த சிறப்புப் பேட்டி எட்டுத்திக்கும் இசைஞானியின் நீதானே பொன்வசந்தம் திரைப்படப் பாடல் காற்றில் கலந்து இனிய வசந்தமாய் வீசிக் கொண்டு இசை ரசிகர்களை மகிழ்வித்து வருகிறது. இயக்குனர் கௌதம் வாசுதேவ் மேனன், இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் கூட்டணியில் வெளிவந்துள்ள இந்த திரைப்படத்தின் பாடல்கள் எதிர்பார்ப்பையும் மிஞ்சிய அளவில் ரசிகர்களை சென்று சேர்ந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறது.

இப்படத்தில் அனைத்துப் பாடல்களையும் எழுதியுள்ளவர் நா.முத்துக்குமார் என்பது அனைவருக்கும் தெரிந்த ஒன்றுதான். ஒரு மிகப் பெரிய இசைக் கூட்டணியில் இணைந்து அவருக்கு பணியாற்ற கிடைத்த வாய்ப்பை ஒரு பாக்கியமாக கருதுவதாக மனமுவந்து கூறுகிறார். நமக்காக அவர் அளித்த சிறப்பு பேட்டியில் இப்படத்தில் பணியாற்றிய அனுபவங்களை பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறார்… “எனக்கு கிடைச்ச ஒரு மிகப் பெரிய வாய்ப்பு இது. ஏன்னா கௌதம் மேனன் சாரோட தீவிர ரசிகன் நான். அவர் பாடல்களை கவிதை பூர்வமா எடுக்கக் கூடய மிகச் சிறந்த இளம் இயக்குனர்கள்ல அவரும் ஒருவர். காதல் பாடல்களை காவியம் மாதிரியே பிக்சரைசேஷன் பண்ணுவாரு. அவ்ளோ க்யூட் இருக்கும்”.

“ஏற்கெனவே அவரோட தயாரிப்புல ‘வெப்பம்’ படத்துல முழு பாடல்கள் எழுதியிருந்தேன். இப்ப ‘தங்க மீன்கள் ’ படத்துல முழு பாடல்கள் எழுதி இருக்கேன். அவரோட இயக்கத்துல ‘வாரணம் ஆயிரம்’ ப ஏத்தி ஏத்தி…. பாடல் எழுதி இருக்கேன். அவரோட இயக்கத்துல முதல் முறையா முழு பாடல்களை இந்த படத்துலதான் எழுதி இருககேன். அதுவும் இசைஞானியோட இசையிலங்கற போது இரு மடங்கு மகிழ்ச்சி”. “இசைஞானிக்கு, பாலுமகேந்திரா இயக்கத்துல ‘ஜுலி கணபதி’ படத்துல ‘எனக்குப் பிடித்த பாடல்’….தான் முதல் முதல்ல எழுதினது. அதுக்குப் பிறகு கிட்டத்தட்ட 100 பாடல்கள் அவரோட இசையில எழுதி இருப்பேன். முதல் முறையா ‘தோனி’ திரைப்படத்துல இசைஞானி இசையில் முழு பாடல்கள் எழுதினேன், பிரகாஷ்ராஜ் இயக்கத்துல. அந்த பாடல்களும் நன்றாக பேசப்பட்டன. இந்த படத்துல, படம் முழுக்க காதல் பாடல்கள், 8 பாட்டு, அதுல 7 பாட்டு காதல் பாட்டுன்றது , ரொம்ப இனியானது.டைரக்டரும் சரி, இசைஞானியும் சரி முழு சுதந்திரம் கொடுத்தாங்க…பாடல்களை ஒவ்வொரு வரியும் ரசித்து இது நல்லா இருக்கு, அது நல்லாருக்குன்னு சொல்லி பாராட்டினாங்க. இந்த பாடல்கள் எல்லாமே முதல்ல டியூன் கம்போஸ் பண்ண பிறகு, மும்பைல குரல் பதிவு நடந்துச்சி. அப்புறம் இசைப்பதிவுக்காக லண்டனுக்கு போனாங்க, இசைஞானியும், கௌதம் அவர்களும்..எனக்கு இந்த பாடல்களை எழுத நேரம் ரொம்ப குறைவா இருந்தது. ஏன்னா , சிங்கர்ஸ், ஸ்டுடியோ எல்லாம் ஒரு வாரம்தான்ங்கற ஒரு நெருக்கடி இருந்தது. அதனால் நான்கைந்து நாட்கள்ல எழுதப்பட்ட பாடல்கள்தான் இந்த படத்தோட பாடல்கள்….

‘சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து’… பாடல் எழுதிட்டிருக்கும் போது, திடீர்னு ‘சற்று முன்பு’… பாடல் பாட வர்றாங்க…ன்னு சொல்வாங்க, சரின்னு சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து பாட்டை எழுதறத நிறுத்திட்டு, சற்று முன்பு பாடல் எழுத ஆரம்பிச்சிடுவேன்….படத்தோட கதை தெரிஞ்சதால என்னால இதை உடனே கொண்டு வர முடிஞ்சது. கௌதம் சாரை பொறுத்த வரைக்கும், முதல் முறை பார்த்த ஞாபகம் …பல்லவி எழுதி காட்டுவேன், படிச்சிப் பார்த்துட்டு நல்லா இருக்கு, சரணம் போய்டுங்கன்னு சொல்வாரு….இல்ல சார் வேற வேணா எழுதி தர்றன்னு சொல்வேன், இல்ல முத்துக்குமார், இதுவே நல்லா இருக்கு, ஏன் வேறன்னு சொல்வாரு….என் கதைக்கு இது பொருத்தமான பல்லவி சரியா இருக்குன்னு சொல்வாரு …அந்த அளவுக்கு கவிதை ரசிகர் அவர். இந்த பாடல்கள பதிவான நாள்ல இருந்து குறைந்த பட்சம் 200 முறையாவது கேட்டிருப்பேன். ஒவ்வொரு முறை கேட்கும் போதும், புதுசு ஏதோ ஒன்னு காதுக்குள்ள நுழையுது, இதயத்துக்குள்ள நுழையுதுங்கற மாதிரி இருக்கும். ஒரு டிவைன் மியூசிக்னு தான் இதை சொல்லணும்…

இலக்கிய வாதிகள், ரசிகர்கள் கிட்ட இருந்து நிறைய போன் வந்துட்டிருக்கு… இந்த படத்தோட பாடல்கள் எனக்கு புதுசா ஒரு உற்சாகத்தை எனக்குள்ள ஏற்படுத்தியிருக்கு… இசைஞானியைப் பொறுத்த வரைக்கும் பத்து வருஷம் முன்னாடி ‘ ஜுலி கணபதி ’ படத்துல முதல் முறையா பாட்டு எழுதும் போது, ஒரு பரீட்சை அறைக்குள்ள நுழையற மாணவன் மாதிரிதான் நுழைந்தேன். அவர் எனக்குள்ள இருக்கிற பதட்டத்தை பார்த்துட்டு, நிறைய ஜோக்லாம் அடிச்சி, என்னோட பதட்டத்தையெல்லாம் தணிச்சி, ஒரு இயல்பு நிலைக்கு கொண்டு வந்தாரு..பாடல்கள் வரிகள்லாம் நல்லா இருந்தால் உடனே பாராட்டிடுவாரு. சமீபத்துல கூட மேகா ங்கற படத்துல பாடல்கள் எழுதி இருந்தேன். நான்கைந்து பல்லவி எழுதி கொடுத்தேன், முதல் பல்லவியே நல்லா இருந்ததுன்னு அத ஓகே பண்ணிட்டாரு. மீதி பல்லவியும் படிச்சாரு. அதையும் ஓகே பண்ணாரு…நான் சீக்கிரம் ஓகே பண்ண மாட்டேன். இது எல்லாமே நல்லா இருககு…இத இந்த படத்துல இல்லன்னாலும், வேற படத்துலயோ, இல்ல தனிப்பட்ட கவிதையாவே பயன்படுத்துங்கன்னு சொன்னாரு….அதெல்லாம் எனக்கு கிடைச்ச பாக்கியம்தான்… அதில்லாம அவருக்கு என்மேல தனிப்பட்ட அன்பு இருக்கு…கிட்டத்தட்ட 20 வருடம் கழித்து, அவர் வெளியில வந்த முதல் பொது நிகழ்ச்சி என்னுடைய திருமணம்தான். அவருடைய இசைஞானி அறக்கட்டளை சார்பா எனக்கு இளம் சாதனையாளர் விருது கொடுத்திருக்காரு…. இந்த படத்துல பணியாற்றியது மிக இனிமையான அனுபவம். சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து…பாடலை யுவன் பாட வந்தப்போ, ராஜா சார் இருந்தால் பாட வராதுன்னு சொல்லிட்டு, எனக்கு பயமா இருககுன்னு ராஜா சாரை பக்கத்து ரூமுக்கு போக சொல்லிட்டு, லைட்டை எல்லாம் நிறுத்திட்டு யுவன் கூச்சத்தோட பாட ஆரம்பிச்சாரு….இந்த படத்தோட பாடல்களை கேட்டுட்டு யுவன் ட்விட்டர்லலாம் எல்லாருக்கும் தெரியற மாதிரி பாராட்டினாரு…அவர் பாடியுள்ள, சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து…பாடலும், பெண்கள் என்றால்… பாடலும் மிகப்பெரிய ஹிட்டாகும்…அது மட்டுமில்லாம இந்த படத்தோட பாடல்கள் எல்லாமே மிகப் பெரிய அளவிலே மக்கள் கிட்ட போய்ச் சேரும்னு சொன்னாரு….

இந்த படத்தோட பாடல்களைப் பொறுத்த வரைக்கும், சற்று முன்பு… பாடல், கிளைமாக்சுக்கு முன்பு வர்ற பாட்டு…கஷ்டமான சிச்சுவேஷன்..கொஞ்சம் வழுக்கினாலும்….அந்த சிச்சுவேஷனை விட்டு விலகிப் போயிடும்…கத்தி மேல நடக்கிற மாதிரி இருந்தது…படத்தைப் பார்க்கும் போது உங்களுக்கும் புரியும்….கதையும் வெளிய தெரியக்கூடாது..அப்படிங்கற நிலைமையில ரொம்ப கவனத்தோட , கொஞ்சம் கஷ்டத்தோட எழுதி நல்லா வந்திருக்கிற பாட்டா அமைஞ்சுது… புடிக்கல மாமு..பாடல் 80கள்ல வர்ற மாதிரியான சிச்சுவேஷன் …அதனால அந்த காலத்துல பயன்படுத்தின வார்த்தைகள்ல வச்சி எழுதின பாட்டு… இந்த படத்துல இருக்கிற எல்லா பாட்டுமே ரொம்ப பிடிச்ச பாடல்கள்…என்னோடு வா….சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து…முதல் முறை…வானம் மெல்ல…எனக்கு ஸ்பெஷலான பாடல்கள்… ஒரு படத்துல அனைத்துப் பாடல்களையும் எழுதறப்போ, முழு கதையும் தெரியும்கறதுனால , ஒரு பாட்டுக்கும் இன்னொரு பாட்டுக்கும் வித்தியாசகம் காட்டலாம். ஒரு பாட்டுக்கும் இன்னொரு பாட்டுக்குமே தொடர்சசியும் காட்டலாம். சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து நீ பார்க்கும் போது அடடா…ன்னு பல்லவி ஆரம்பிச்சிருக்கும், அ,த வரிக்கும் என்னோடு வா வா…பாடல்…ல கன்னம் தொடும் கூந்தல் உதிர்க்க நீ சாய்வது என்னைக் கொஞ்சம் பார்க்கத்தானடி..ன்னு வரும்..இது ரெண்டுக்கும் ஒரு தொடர்பும் இருக்கும், வித்தியாசமும் இருக்கும்…இந்த மாதிரியான ஒரு அனுபவத் தொடர்சசிய பாடலகள்ல கொண்டு வரலாம்…..ஒவ்வொரு பாட்டுக்கும் ஒரு தொடர்ச்சி, லின்க் வச்சிருக்கோம்…. என் குருநாதர் பாலுமகேந்திரா அவர்கள் என்னை இசை வெளியீட்டின் போதே கை கொடுத்து பாராட்டியது..ரொம்பவும் மகிழ்ச்சியான ஒரு விஷயம்…இசைஞானியின் இசையில் அனைத்துப் பாடல்களையும் நான் எழுதியதற்காக ரொம்ப பாராட்டினாரு…

இந்த படத்துக்காக இசைஞானி அவர்களின், சிம்பொனி இசைக்கு, தமிழ்ப் பாடல்களை நான் எழுதியதற்காக என்றென்றும் அவருக்கு நன்றிக்கடன்பட்டிருக்கிறேன்”. எண்ணற்ற படங்களில் பாடல்களை எழுதிக் கொண்டிருக்கும், நா.முத்துக்குமார் தொடர்ந்து பல வெற்றிகளை பெற நம் சார்பாக வாழ்த்துவோம்.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th September 2012, 09:59 PM
can anyone share here, what the sleevenotes of the NEPV CD say ? do they mention the recording and mastering studio names, as well as the Hungarian musicians involved ?

would be much grateful if someone can upload/attach the NEPV CD cover information as a picture

thanks in advance

irir, no such info. uploading the pics, not so good quality

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3339/img20120913214148.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7952/img20120913214557.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8729/img20120913214335.jpg

raja_fan
13th September 2012, 10:23 PM

Not only bad quality of CD cover ( like Attai petti )..

I just noticed this.
When I opened the CD files in real player, the album name is shown as "Yeto Vellipoyindi Manasu" and all songs are listed in Telugu. I bought NEPV CD , not YVM !!

If Sony can be like this..What can we say !

app_engine
13th September 2012, 10:43 PM
2mn hits for trailer, that features ennOdu vA vA karoke for almost one minute (http://www.techsatish.net/2012/09/20_13.html)

இப்படத்தின் பாடல்கள் தற்போது தமிழ்நாட்டின் நகரம் முதல் பட்டி தொட்டியெங்கும் ஒலித்து மிகப்பெரிய வெற்றி அடைந்துள்ளது

Internet claims apart, is it really a hit in patti-thotti of TN?

Those currently living in TN to confirm...

irir123
13th September 2012, 10:56 PM

yenna oru mega level madathhanam idhu ??

why would Photon Kathas spend money hiring Hungarian orchestra, Angel and Abbey Road Studios, and NOT use their names on the CD sleeve ??

total nonsense - idha kondu poi, "this was recorded in angel studio and mastered at abbey road studios" nnu naan sonnaa, adhukku atthaatchi yenga ?

this is where the albums of ARR and others are heads and shoulders above anything that IR comes up with

even smalltime local bands carry the names of the recording studio(s) etc etc on their CD covers/sleeve notes !

ippadi arayum kurayumaa seiyyaradhukkaa, GVM took so much time to get SONY to release the CDs ? and dont they have the common sense to release the CDs internationally (after negotiating international pricing criteria etc etc) even in a limited no ? wudnt that help their overall profits/sales ?

idhaiyellaam namma madhiri fans sollithaan SONYkku theriyanumaa ? illa therinjey, casualaa vittutaangalaa ?

enakku salippu thaan varudhu

irir123
13th September 2012, 11:03 PM
ippadiye vizhaa nadathhunga, ella former directorsum vandhu Raaja thudhi paadattum, aanaa, indha madhiri CD product information levela sodhappala pannittu, kunduchattikkullaye kudhiraya ottunga

veruppum erichhalum thaan varudhu

ippadi thaan andha varaadha Symphony matterum nadandhirukkum! no wonder, its embroiled in all kinds of controversies!

KV
13th September 2012, 11:15 PM
I understand the 'CD cover paathu naan appidiyE shOck aittEn' reaction for I too felt exactly the same way when I saw it first.
But 'collectors edition' la indha sodhappals ellaam seri pannIdalaam :wink:

marnsZet
13th September 2012, 11:19 PM
"சமீபத்துல கூட மேகா ங்கற படத்துல பாடல்கள் எழுதி இருந்தேன். நான்கைந்து பல்லவி எழுதி கொடுத்தேன், முதல் பல்லவியே நல்லா இருந்ததுன்னு அத ஓகே பண்ணிட்டாரு. மீதி பல்லவியும் படிச்சாரு. அதையும் ஓகே பண்ணாரு…நான் சீக்கிரம் ஓகே பண்ண மாட்டேன். இது எல்லாமே நல்லா இருககு…இத இந்த படத்துல இல்லன்னாலும், வேற படத்துலயோ, இல்ல தனிப்பட்ட கவிதையாவே பயன்படுத்துங்கன்னு சொன்னாரு….அதெல்லாம் எனக்கு கிடைச்ச பாக்கியம்தான்…"

Megha......? A new movie with IR music it seems. Can someone throw some light on this? Sakala sir you must have got some info...

kid-glove
13th September 2012, 11:39 PM
Pudikala mamu-ku enna koraichal. Different standards apply panraingalE.

Btw 70 year old :shock:

wizzy
13th September 2012, 11:41 PM
I understand the 'CD cover paathu naan appidiyE shOck aittEn' reaction for I too felt exactly the same way when I saw it first.
But 'collectors edition' la indha sodhappals ellaam seri pannIdalaam :wink:

Telugu CD ver is worstu..can easily pass off as pirated mp3 cd :banghead:

kid-glove
13th September 2012, 11:45 PM
Btw a whole lot of songs are all very respectful of lyrics, intimately tied to orchestration, both play off each other, as someone said, even rendition is part of the orchestration. How could one demarcate it.. As usual, rembavE vettaiyadi vilaiyadi rasichu irukkaaru IR..

Plum
14th September 2012, 07:31 AM
(K) - vijayr comes from the MSV melody school. OraLavukku 80sla orchestrationukku ticket vAnguvAr. At some stage, he got influenced by his performer friends in US, being introduced to pure performers' (Read SPB) songs which have a lot of twists and turns in melody. Since then, he has been looking purely for tune elements and geting constantly disappointed - although it is purely bias if he is nt enchanted by the tune elements of kaNNil pArvai etc.

Plus, ingE in this page, IR bhaktas got into fights with him, but due to circumstances, certain other fans started worshipping him. apdiYE andha fansOda kula deivamA form AyittAr. Kevin Pietersen thannOda dressing room hostilitynAla opposing dressing room playersku friend Anadhu pOla. apdiyE dhisai mARiya paRavai....

Basically, it just shows how much human ego needs to be massaged. isaiyai vida, uNmaiyai vida, namma ego massage AgudhA - idhu dhAn perumbAlum makkal pAkkaRadhu

That is why I have lot of respect for Hard Core Music Composer Fans - whichever MD they are a fan of, there is a point of view there - even i fthey cannot articulate, there is a certain sensibility that they are fan of. Which is more respectable than music appreciation that comes out of the person's ego ("anti-IR fans worship me, so let me (unconsciously) become anti=iR", "I want to prove I am neutral and unbiased, so (unsonsciously) let me appreciate all music" etc)

Sureshs65
14th September 2012, 09:38 AM
Pudikala mamu-ku enna koraichal. Different standards apply panraingalE.

Btw 70 year old :shock:

BTW, you were right. Some part of the movie atleast seems to take place in the 80s. That is what Na.Muthukumar says. Also says that he why he choose words like 'maamu' because they were popular in the 80s.

irir123
14th September 2012, 09:40 AM
Waiting with bated breath !!

Just had a meeting with a musician couple - Texas's leading flutist and her well-known oboist husband - abt NEPV ! and gave them SONY Music's youtube link - they agreed to listen to the album ONLY after I assured them that the youtube link is officially sanctioned and released by SONY Music South ! to quote the lady "we dont want to steal someone's music" - now thats integrity for you!

anyway, they are (hopefully) listening to the album in their studio (part of their home) in their state-of-the-art music system

this couple btw, introduced me to Brahms, Led Zeppelin et al

and they totally loved 'Nandalala'!

this is what I told them "fans like me are of the opinion that the composer has ventured into new territory - It feels like a judicious blend of jazz, rock, and orchestral genres! yet, as amateurs, we are not able to get a handle on what it is - your taking time to listen to this album and giving it an honest, heartfelt opinion/review of the same would be much appreciated"

and i convinced them to the extent that towards the end of our conversation, they asked me for the iTUNES link to buy the album online

by tomorrow, hopefully, they will let me know of what they thought of NEPV !

still a long way to go

tomorrow, after work am going to a jazz concert featuring an experimental guitarist-percussionist, who has already heard the youtube samples and fascinated by the sound! and has invited me over

irir123
14th September 2012, 10:17 AM
anyone from the hub living in Germany ?

teja
14th September 2012, 11:11 AM
That is why I have lot of respect for Hard Core Music Composer Fans - whichever MD they are a fan of, there is a point of view there - even i fthey cannot articulate, there is a certain sensibility that they are fan of. Which is more respectable than music appreciation that comes out of the person's ego ("anti-IR fans worship me, so let me (unconsciously) become anti=iR", "I want to prove I am neutral and unbiased, so (unsonsciously) let me appreciate all music" etc)

You nailed it Plum! Thanks for articulating it so well. Especially the last sentence... I see nothing but a huge ego in their preachy posts. That holier than thou attitude is quite sickening.

KV
14th September 2012, 12:09 PM
Happened to listen to Kumki this morning on Thiraipaadal. (although the template is similar to Myna, this surely is a laudable effort by D.Imman).
The album has 10 tracks in all of which 3 are karaoke versions. Now, these instrumental tracks, apart from ‘getting rid’ of the vocals, also help in getting a good look at the quality of orchestration done by the composer. Now, this album’s on Sony too. It got me wondering on why they didn’t incorporate this idea in the NEPV album, which perhaps is the sort of soundtrack that, by nature of its style, ‘commands’ something like this. And not just this aspect, imagine pengal endraal karaoke - it has everything to become a sarakku session karaoke classic! Angst-ridden ‘youths’ will mostly wail their hearts out with this one! (think Dev D’s emotional athyachaar)

Just think of some of the options available at Sony’s/GVM’s disposal:
1) demo versions (with Raaja’s vocals, guitars and drums)
2) karaoke tracks
3) BGM/soundtrack (of course, post movie-release)
4) Collector’s edition (a sumptuous offering with all elements they can think of)
The album can very easily be a cash-cow if they really want it to be. The first release, apart from the good recording quality, offers little else to brag about. Whether they’re planning some extended milking or if they’ll simply waste the opportunity will be interesting to wait and see.

Sureshs65
14th September 2012, 12:52 PM
irir123,

Superb. I hope the musician couple gives you some nice feedback. As usual, if you need any help from here, like buying and sending CDs, will be more than happy to help

kid-glove
14th September 2012, 01:10 PM
BTW, you were right. Some part of the movie atleast seems to take place in the 80s. That is what Na.Muthukumar says. Also says that he why he choose words like 'maamu' because they were popular in the 80s.

Thanks. Yes, it seems that way.

Also this might be a film more about memory of that period, GPM's fondness for the period might translate in to a love story. Don't expect a rigid time slot. Actually not a lot of us could demarcate the period from mid-80's to mid-90's easily, our memories seem clustered by Raaja's songs. Only in 90's, did we get the extended distribution of VHS tapes of 80's films. (here, I'm not referring to songs alone. Which of course were always accessible with tape cassettes. But the images together with songs slot in to our memory better). 80's IR infested School functions, cultural programs of 90's (90's does really seem a confused period, sandwiched between 80's and then 00's, even private channels didn't break out until late 90's, even in cities), the radio days (from street speakers, to Tea shops to Household). Raaja's the subconscious unifying phenomenon in many ways. Even if this section might be in 90's, it can't help but harp back to the warped 80's..

vel
14th September 2012, 01:44 PM
(K) - vijayr comes from the MSV melody school. OraLavukku 80sla orchestrationukku ticket vAnguvAr. At some stage, he got influenced by his performer friends in US, being introduced to pure performers' (Read SPB) songs which have a lot of twists and turns in melody. Since then, he has been looking purely for tune elements and geting constantly disappointed - although it is purely bias if he is nt enchanted by the tune elements of kaNNil pArvai etc.

Plus, ingE in this page, IR bhaktas got into fights with him, but due to circumstances, certain other fans started worshipping him. apdiYE andha fansOda kula deivamA form AyittAr. Kevin Pietersen thannOda dressing room hostilitynAla opposing dressing room playersku friend Anadhu pOla. apdiyE dhisai mARiya paRavai....

Basically, it just shows how much human ego needs to be massaged. isaiyai vida, uNmaiyai vida, namma ego massage AgudhA - idhu dhAn perumbAlum makkal pAkkaRadhu

what say! Awesome Plum !

SoftSword
14th September 2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks. Yes, it seems that way.

Also this might be a film more about memory of that period, GPM's fondness for the period might translate in to a love story. Don't expect a rigid time slot. Actually not a lot of us could demarcate the period from mid-80's to mid-90's easily, our memories seem clustered by Raaja's songs. Only in 90's, did we get the extended distribution of VHS tapes of 80's films. (here, I'm not referring to songs alone. Which of course were always accessible with tape cassettes. But the images together with songs slot in to our memory better). 80's IR infested School functions, cultural programs of 90's (90's does really seem a confused period, sandwiched between 80's and then 00's, even private channels didn't break out until late 90's, even in cities), the radio days (from street speakers, to Tea shops to Household). Raaja's the subconscious unifying phenomenon in many ways. Even if this section might be in 90's, it can't help but harp back to the warped 80's..

from the first listen itself i could understand that it was an 80/90s song... with the tune, arrangements and the choice of words... thats why i mentioned like its an Yethi Yethi kind of song from Raja while the fact is, Yethi Yethi by itself is a 80/90s Raja wannabe song from HJ(something like a oororamaa aatthuppakkam...)... one full cycle...

San_K
14th September 2012, 03:31 PM
Yethi Yethi was intentionally made to tribute IR by GVM + HJ. And as far as picturisation concerned it was for Kamal

SoftSword
14th September 2012, 03:34 PM
Yethi Yethi was intentionally made to tribute IR by GVM + HJ. And as far as picturisation concerned it was for Kamal

i always saw agninatchathiram karthik in that..
raaja... raajaadhi raajanengal raaja...

San_K
14th September 2012, 03:46 PM
yes yes musicwise raaja raajathi raajan intha raaja was the inspiration and picturisation wise Aboorvasa sagathathargal kamal (raja kaiya vacha) and also sathya kamal was shown. karthik also.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th September 2012, 04:48 PM
NEPV Audio Launch telecast in Jaya TV 16th Sunday. Timings changed to 2.30PM. It was shown as 3.30PM till ysterday's Ads

V_S
14th September 2012, 07:45 PM
That is why I have lot of respect for Hard Core Music Composer Fans - whichever MD they are a fan of, there is a point of view there - even i fthey cannot articulate, there is a certain sensibility that they are fan of. Which is more respectable than music appreciation that comes out of the person's ego
Can't express better than this!. :notworthy:

V_S
14th September 2012, 07:56 PM
Coming back to Saayndhu Saayndhu (I don't know how long I will come back like this :wink:), that electric guitar at the end of 1st interlude and how it leads into the charanam with that bounciness/jumpiness, ezhuthum bOthe pullarikkuthu. One of the best leads to the charanam ever. The charanam tune also starts in the same fashion as the guitar which makes the tune, delectable. Th guitar also makes inroads when during the first two lines of charanam, making it sweeter and sweeter. The rhythm pattern supporting this tune is another goosebump stuff. Yuvan's lazy singing fits the tune perfectly with great mood. Never thought Yuvan can sing this casually, yet bring the expected emotions and mood. Ramya's 'oho' in the second line, what a beauty there! I would even say that this should be Yuvan's best song. eppadi sir ithayellaam minutes'la conceive paNNaar. Indha paattu muzhuka avvalavum azhagu!. I still can't come out of this song. sokkuthE manam!

irir123
14th September 2012, 08:03 PM
irir123,

Superb. I hope the musician couple gives you some nice feedback. As usual, if you need any help from here, like buying and sending CDs, will be more than happy to help

I have just registered with SONY Music an elaborate and sharp comment abt including recording studio names on the CD cover - and how it is important for the CD/album to gain credibility !

hopefully their second batch of CDs will have those details!

my question is, WHY GVM cud have been this careless ??

SoftSword
14th September 2012, 08:07 PM
I have just registered with SONY Music an elaborate and sharp comment abt including recording studio names on the CD cover - and how it is important for the CD/album to gain credibility !

hopefully their second batch of CDs will have those details!

my question is, WHY GVM cud have been this careless ??

if i am not wrong, its the music directors who are responsible for the credits in the cds...
or as a producer if u r saying gvm could have forced IR to put this in, then i agree... but he is not to be blamed is what i mean...

San_K
14th September 2012, 08:25 PM
The rhythm pattern supporting this tune is another goosebump stuff.

One of the so soothing rhythms ever :notworthy:

Only one complaint from me about this song is, the very slow starting. Sometime i could enjoy but sometimes not. But it may be very good for the situation of this song. I can't remember any other song for this situation which is - a love couple inside the car, but the girl just told "I love you" to boy and outside raining. Probably the situation is the real key for IR. The only song so far for such situation?

app_engine
14th September 2012, 08:33 PM
Another post in TF section, for IRFs who don't frequent there, where I'm bringing down my expectation on mudhal muRai picturization (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9702-GVM-s-Neethaane-en-Pon-Vasantham-Ilaiyaraaja-Jeeva-Samantha&p=952830&viewfull=1#post952830)

Bala (Karthik)
14th September 2012, 08:39 PM
Only one complaint from me about this song is, the very slow starting. Sometime i could enjoy but sometimes not.
It cannot get better than this for a louuu song. Cannoooooooooo

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th September 2012, 09:48 PM
irir, I couldn't locate a website for Sony India South. Only Social media(tw/fb/yt) Shouldn't they put a website which is linked with the main Sony Music Global's website?!? And list the albums they release in South?!? What kind of prefessionalism is this?!?

irir123
14th September 2012, 10:47 PM
SKV - unprofessionalism is the hallmark of developing countries like India and China - we dont do anything in a streamlined/refined smooth manner - its not surprising therefore that many western companies are afraid/hesitant to do business here - the situation gets worser when it comes to the Indian film industry!

neither IR nor Kamal Hassan have their respective websites! the same logic is perhaps being followed by Sony Music South, which, by all means is a franchisee outlet/chain, run very similar to how Kamat and Saravana Bhavan hotels are run! the brand name is the same, but run by different managers independently! so its not surprising that the CD cover/inlay sheets are incorrectly put in Tamil for a Telugu release and vice-versa!

if you ask me, the entire blame should go to all of us - because we do NOT demand quality

1. we download movies/MP3s illegally

2. we host/upload media files illegally

3. we waste time, money, energy on putting up huge cutouts, and squabbling with fans of other celebrities, when the same time can be spent constructively educating ourselves on professional standards!

4. we simply dont respect/value copyright laws - reiterate that, read my posting abt how my musician friend couple insisted they buy the original ITUNES album of NEPV !!

5. oru sarakku party vechhaa, namma makkal kottamaa thirandu varuvanga - adhuvum OC sarakku! sondha kaasa pottu music kekkanumnu varumbodhu mattum namakku valikkum!

in this regard, am very happy to learn that Thiraipaadal.com is either going away, or to be banned - i heard it from someone

appadiyey aagattum - similarly, i would want to see illegalities banned in every other manner - that way we can ensure quality in the near future

there is nothing called a free lunch !

V_S
14th September 2012, 11:12 PM
irir123,
Very good, I understand your concerns. It is a big slip by a company like Sony. They could have done it, no two thoughts about it. If they are doing sincerely for other soundtracks, they could have done for this too. But I could not understand how this is linked to people (consumers) mentality. Again, we cannot put the blame entirely on people and also cannot generalize US trend based on couple of people. I know so many here, who never bought any music/movies, all torrents download only. I cannot generalize all US people are like this, definitely they have better sense in this aspect. Just because we cannot showcase Maestro's credibility/capability to our neighbours, we cannot blame every one, my humble opinion.

On point #5, I strongly condemn and disagree, we don't have any right to say this, and I don't see this trait only in India.

More importantly, this is one South Indian film marketed, promoted only to our audience, not even up North. And we are explaining something to a person in US, who never care ever to listen to other music unless we tell them. They don't have any interest (except very few who practice music, not the average listener, reviewers) and don't go all the way to listen to any music outside their country. If we take in India, everyone (the person having least music interest) has much better music sense than anyone else in the world, not just the music within India, but open to listen to any music with open hands and heart. Most of our albums are meant for our audience, rather than world market and world audience. Yes I know this is a special album, but somehow Sony treated this as another album, not even cared to take a note of how it was composed, very shame on them.

V_S
14th September 2012, 11:45 PM
While I appreciate your humongous effort in taking Maestro to the world, to be honest I expected the same not from a fan, from a person who worked closely with Maestro and who knows Maestro's working style and who have enjoyed his compositions when playing/conducting, which include those famous Lazlo kovacs, Attila, John Scott and so on. We keep praising them as they all have worked with Maestro. Maestro has worked with some biggest names, which other Indian composers have never worked. Do they not know what Maestro is capable of? What do they do? Do they really care? Did they take him to the next level? This is my biggest question. This is the reason for my previous post about the mentality of westeners in listening/promoting our music which has huge potential (I am not even talking to promote every one of them). I tend to think this way as it seems to me that, you pay money I will play for you and go back. When you ask me to come again, I will come.

Nerd
15th September 2012, 12:12 AM
IRIR,

You are calling for the banning of thiraipaadal. Well why do you even post youtube links then? I have seen you post the YT links of songs from abhinandana for one. Was that video uploaded by the producers of that film? Or did you pay to watch it? That is no different from listening to songs from thiraipaadal or downloding mp3s. I really don't know when will you stop accusing *Indians* when you are no better.

Bala (Karthik)
15th September 2012, 12:20 AM
3. we waste time, money, energy on putting up huge cutouts, and squabbling with fans of other celebrities, when the same time can be spent constructively educating ourselves on professional standards!

Can you stop this nonsense already? What has this got to do with anything??? And how is it an India only thing?

kid-glove
15th September 2012, 12:21 AM
It comes off as news to me that piracy doesn't exist outside India/Indians.

irir123
15th September 2012, 12:24 AM
IRIR,

You are calling for the banning of thiraipaadal. Well why do you even post youtube links then? I have seen you post the YT links of songs from abhinandana for one. Was that video uploaded by the producers of that film? Or did you pay to watch it? That is no different from listening to songs from thiraipaadal or downloding mp3s. I really don't know when will you stop accusing *Indians* when you are no better.

valid point Nerd - its my mistake and i take back that statement - its all out of a moment of frustration

Nerd
15th September 2012, 12:24 AM
Can you stop this nonsense already? What has this got to do with anything??? And how is it an India only thing?
Yeah, try going to any damn apple store on Sep 21 when the iPhone 5 comes out. You ll see loads of people queuein' up to grab the phone. And you should listen to the noise when they finally open the door to the stores. And in US you ll see so many people supporting college sports for God's sakes. Sporting gear, body painting what not?!

It comes off as news to me that piracy doesn't exist outside India/Indians.
Exactly. Try searching for torrents of new English/European music/movies too.

irir123
15th September 2012, 12:25 AM

it may or may not be an india only thingy - but do you agree that we are better off not squabbling with each other ?

jaiganes
15th September 2012, 01:13 AM
it may or may not be an india only thingy - but do you agree that we are better off not squabbling with each other ?

put any two ranodm guys - you will have squabbling...
doesnt have to be indians or non indians - with indians we are a vocal lot - westerners are the quieter kind - but trust me, i have seen a fair deal of stomach burning, camp building, pulling down other guys etc.,
enna sirichcha maadhiriye moonjiya vechukuvaanga in office environment - plus we dont have 'group' x guys take a pickup truck and mow down random 'black guys' - as long as that is that it is fine.

rajasaranam
15th September 2012, 09:29 AM
amaam namakkulla sandai vendam. All Silent.

P_R
15th September 2012, 11:17 AM
in this regard, am very happy to learn that Thiraipaadal.com is either going away, or to be banned - i heard it from someone

:shock:
ayyagO!
Thereendeth whatever little isaippayaNam the likes of me have.

K
15th September 2012, 12:54 PM
Please Come Back to the Topic

csramasami
15th September 2012, 02:29 PM
Please Come Back to the Topic

So....Let people guess and list the song serialwise, as it may appear in the forthcoming film...Also, can guess the storyline of film w.r.t. these songs :think:

Kadavule, padam varadhukku munneye 200 pakkam aanadhunnaa ipadiyellam problem varumo!!! :confused2:

Sureshs65
15th September 2012, 03:51 PM
One last point on what irir123 said. Even if I agree to most everything he said, I cannot agree to the thiraipaadal ban. For God's sake, please don't ask that site to be banned. Infact I am ready to start a petition calling for the powers to be to ensure that thiraipaadal is not banned. I would personally ban the person who bans thiraipaadal.

Do we think ANY company will come up with CD releases of the late 90s songs of Raja? All we get is horrible quality from Agi. And who even knows which of the movie songs of 70s of Raja exixts. While I buy _every_ Raja CD that is released and definitely encourage all folks to buy originals, I still maintain that thiraipaadal is doing a HUGE service to everyone concerned: Music Director, Producer, Director etc. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone searching for music of movies like Kaadha Jaadhi. Anyway this is a huge topic, which requires a blog post on its own.

So one last time, please see to it that thiraipaadal is not banned.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th September 2012, 04:04 PM
:shock:
ayyagO!
Thereendeth whatever little isaippayaNam the likes of me have.

you have donated to thiraipaadal.com right? You have all rights to ask a reason if they go down! :thumbsup:

And, why don't thiraipaadal.com put ads and make money, and take its own share and give the rest to Musicians?!? Raaga.com is doing so! Its paying the musicians, like FM channels, TV Music channels.

dochu
15th September 2012, 05:54 PM
IMHO, I think we are unnecessarily discussing in favor of producers, MD, music company etc. They very well know about mp3 floating in the net. Inspite of that, they get audio rights and market the music. Which, to me, means that they still are making a huge profit. If they want to stop mp3s, let them do it, rather than we act like foot soldiers (for free) for their cause which will make them even more rich.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you buy original CD, you get a good quality. Ex - Agi, and some CD's of Echo. Where is the ethics in that by the audio companies?

As Suresh said, thiraipaadal is doing a huge service to unearth some golden songs of IR. Let's respect them.

kiru
15th September 2012, 10:58 PM
you have donated to thiraipaadal.com right? You have all rights to ask a reason if they go down! :thumbsup:

And, why don't thiraipaadal.com put ads and make money, and take its own share and give the rest to Musicians?!? Raaga.com is doing so! Its paying the musicians, like FM channels, TV Music channels.

Good suggestion. Good analogy to FM/TV music channels . They should also look into the Spotify model.

irir123
15th September 2012, 11:58 PM
One last point on what irir123 said. Even if I agree to most everything he said, I cannot agree to the thiraipaadal ban. For God's sake, please don't ask that site to be banned. Infact I am ready to start a petition calling for the powers to be to ensure that thiraipaadal is not banned. I would personally ban the person who bans thiraipaadal.

Do we think ANY company will come up with CD releases of the late 90s songs of Raja? All we get is horrible quality from Agi. And who even knows which of the movie songs of 70s of Raja exixts. While I buy _every_ Raja CD that is released and definitely encourage all folks to buy originals, I still maintain that thiraipaadal is doing a HUGE service to everyone concerned: Music Director, Producer, Director etc. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone searching for music of movies like Kaadha Jaadhi. Anyway this is a huge topic, which requires a blog post on its own.

So one last time, please see to it that thiraipaadal is not banned.

thiraipaadal.com matter is something i heard from someone else - am not sure how valid that news is - however, if it is indeed true, i suspect this is something similar to how IR came down hard on oriental/echo releases using a court order

and whats exactly wrong with AGI music quality ? i thought those guys have already sold some stuff to spotify !

irir123
16th September 2012, 12:01 AM
after buying the ITUNES version of NEPV - at last managed to convert into WAV files - just for the sake of complaining, why is it that the groovy bass line of IR from the 80s is missing ?!

baroque
16th September 2012, 12:56 AM
I heard that Raja has LP rips of his music albums, exploring legal rights etc...
eventually wants to sell his albums in his own web site for fans to buy them.

uvowefiyas
16th September 2012, 07:09 AM
thiraipaadal.com matter is something i heard from someone else - am not sure how valid that news is - however, if it is indeed true, i suspect this is something similar to how IR came down hard on oriental/echo releases using a court order

and whats exactly wrong with AGI music quality ? i thought those guys have already sold some stuff to spotify !

i heard thiraipaadal ask people to donate and allows people to save music illegally from browser cache, which indeed violates copyright

K
16th September 2012, 12:20 PM
Pesama Raajavin Isaiyai "Nattudamai" Aakidalaama?

Nationalize Raja's Music?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th September 2012, 12:22 PM
The Ad which is being aired for the Audio Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxmGj_QkSEk

Plum
16th September 2012, 12:27 PM
Nethu dhaan I was thinkijg of nattudamai of ir's music. But karthik raja paavamyaa - konjam sambadhichukattum appuram naattudamai aakaalaam :)

K
16th September 2012, 01:02 PM
Nethu dhaan I was thinkijg of nattudamai of ir's music. But karthik raja paavamyaa - konjam sambadhichukattum appuram naattudamai aakaalaam :)

so the thinking is on, Hope this will happen soon. Valluvar maathiri, Kambar maathiri, Thyagarajar mathiri ,Ilayarajavin Isaiyum namadhu pokisham.

KV
16th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Lovely show! :clap: Awesome unwind session for the weekend!
The different sections were nicely thought about, my favorite still being the Raaja unplugged section towards the beginning of the show.
The crowd noise during the symphony portion came through loud enough even in the TV telecast. paasakkaara payaga ya!
The sound engineering was poor at the audi I was told; wasn't much different on TV. The guitar levels were terribly feeble for the whole show. :mad:

gautam :clap: :rasigandanee:
raasa :clap:

(Some :lol: moments -
jeeva "bro"-ing GVM
the mokkai q&a session after each ad-break starting with the question "I know you're a theevira Raaja veriyan and GVM fan, can you..."
Surya's ulundhukumbuding at almost every stage show!
GVM suddenly ponging 'sexy!' after one of the dir-fav songs)

thumburu
16th September 2012, 09:30 PM
A real gooseflesh raising experience to hear the western orchestra perform the instrumental medley of Raja starting from MurattukaaLai "endha poovilum vaasam undu" till "sundhari kannAl oru seidhi"

Plum
16th September 2012, 09:58 PM
yes, yes. indha projectai konjam expand paNNinA seththa thEvala. (Just use existing melodies and expand them into symphony). idhai seyya vazhi seyya endha kombanukku thembiriukku?

app_engine
16th September 2012, 10:02 PM
endha kombanukku thembiriukku?

May be Gautam...avaraiththAN ippOthaikku nambaNum :-)

marnsZet
16th September 2012, 10:22 PM
And did anyone notice the original sainthu sainthu tune in IR's voice? Much faster than the final tune!

Plum
16th September 2012, 10:23 PM
ada ponga saar - indha padam flop AnA pOdhum. All the clout Gautam has w.r.t employing IR will vanish. Someone was asking if Gautam can get IR for his movie, why cannot Kamal? The point is Kamal has already done that, and although Viru was a decent success, the Hey Ram debacle looms large. The Symphonic excesses(from money bags POV) in that film is enough to make any producer wary of Kamal-IR combination.

indha padam mattum flop(or even average) Agattum - Gautamukkum adhE gadhi (adhOgadhi) dhAn. He has to run back to Kaaris to recoup his position.

kid-glove
16th September 2012, 10:55 PM
Am I right in thinking that only IR gives a true 'concert' experience among all active composers today.

Have discussed this before with Sureshs65 and recently on the passing with Rajasaranam in Twitter. If Organic composition dies and those artists who played in the orchestra, each one of them, turning obsolete replaced by plugin tools and play toys to make music, it just saddens one.

Later part of KV's post is so so true..

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9642-Attakathi-by-Ranjith&p=953460&viewfull=1#post953460

SVN
16th September 2012, 11:18 PM
I was blown away by the orchestra and it was an absolute treat to watch their expression of joy while playing the notes. They obviously seemed very proud to be playing such intense, intricate and varied compositions of Raaja.

I was so looking forward to Ramya performing the "Satru munbu" number (my favorite in the album) live, and I must say I was a bit disappointed. She had great difficulty reaching the high notes in the live show, which sounded so effortless in the recorded album. The overall energy was also missing in this live version, but other than that no complaints.

Jeeva calling Goutam as 'bro' so frequently was unintentionally very funny. Naani came across as genuine. It was also interesting to note that Goutam completely depended on Nani's knowledge of Telugu cinema in picking the relevant IR songs! (I wonder why they picked the opening lines of a Ninne Pelladata number, which was composed by Sandeep Chowta and not IR)?

Every concert has a low moment, and in this concert (not surprisingly IMO) it was Yuvan's rendition of "peNgaL endRAl poiyyA" number. Even a bathroom singer would have sung it better. I don't understand how such mediocre singing could be tolerated in a programme of this nature? Completely off-key, no ability to carry a tune, no proper pronunciation.. the list is endless. Are talented singers no longer a necessity for great composers and film makers and (listeners)?

baroque
16th September 2012, 11:34 PM
:???:

kameshratnam
16th September 2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixY7DXDh4vU&feature=youtu.be

San_K
16th September 2012, 11:38 PM
yov yuvan singing pudikkalainna kaatha pothikkongayya ellorum. Sainthu Sainthu was great to listen on live

BTW I missed the show on TV :sad: and hoping that Jaya TV will retelecast or youtubeee saranam

kingvj
17th September 2012, 01:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixY7DXDh4vU&feature=youtu.be

I don't feel shameless to say that I cried at 0:47...!

kiru
17th September 2012, 02:04 AM
...Am I right in thinking that only IR gives a true 'concert' experience among all active composers today.

...[/url]
Absolutely, nobody writes music for a true orchestra. NEPV follows the grammar of a live, un-amplified orchestral music - when soft instruments are played alone without the sound of other instruments overwhelming it. In other words, you can take the songs and play live acoustically (without amplification) and it will come out fine (no need of mixing instruments at different volume levels).

BTW, watching the audience react to the orchestra- I think IR needs to give an intro to how to listen to a real concert. Just listening to the main tune is not enough. That is a trivial use case of an orchestra. You need to listen to the parts being played all the instrumentalists. Some of them are true counter melodies which sometimes can stand by themselves.

Its a pity in that noise the audience missed out on so much of the music being played. I guess, it still happens to all his film songs - appreciation for the tune, but no appreciation for the harmony,basslines, interludes etc.

app_engine
17th September 2012, 02:44 AM
Orchestral tribute

:clap:
:Pullarips:

nanRi Kameshratnam, for the youtube!

V_S
17th September 2012, 06:10 AM
Am I right in thinking that only IR gives a true 'concert' experience among all active composers today.

Have discussed this before with Sureshs65 and recently on the passing with Rajasaranam in Twitter. If Organic composition dies and those artists who played in the orchestra, each one of them, turning obsolete replaced by plugin tools and play toys to make music, it just saddens one.

Later part of KV's post is so so true..

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9642-Attakathi-by-Ranjith&p=953460&viewfull=1#post953460

Absolutely right k_g. It will not just sadden me, deeply disappointed, may be that's when I will stop listening to any recent music. Glad that these viruses are often killed, till Raja is around. In that sense am very happy. Definitely I see a big big vacuum to Indian music after him.
Thanks for sharing KV's post, how did I miss that one? What a post that one! KV superb. :clap: :notworthy: Every word should be carved in gold.

Thanks Kamesh for the youtube link. Janma saabalyam! :notworthy: Unfortunately could not watch the Jaya TV telecast today. BTW, what is the instrument played @2:07?

raja_fan
17th September 2012, 07:29 AM
The show which started with a very promising orchestra performance, faded off in to a boring and unnecessary elongated one.
Too much of anything loses charm. The directors group ( most of them with no other job now ) praising Raja - Sorry...we have seen it already..Gowtham, why did you repeat the same Dhoni way ? It would have been great to have eminent musicians sitting there and commenting about Raja.

Kudos to the Hungarian orchestra for bearing athe 5 hr long boring affair .

rajkumarc
17th September 2012, 07:45 AM
Watched the NEPV audio launch in Jaya tv, it's a totally priceless, matchless experience :notworthy: To see the songs performed live and to experience IR's tunes performed by the london orchestra is more than a dream come true. Hats off to Gautham for organizing such an event :notworthy:, the way the whole event was structured, shows his taste and his true love for IR's music :clap: :clap: :clap:

The passion with which the orchestra was playing the various songs was truly heart warming, they seemed to thoroughly enjoy the music they were performing. Audio was not perfect, esp the guitar sounded feeble in Mudhal Murai song. Karthik did a wonderful rendering NEPV songs and the on demand ones and Ramya's performance was as good as the original recording in both Saindhu Saindhu & Satru Munbu. Sunitha Sarathy was OK and I felt it was not in the same league as Sunidhi's rendition. Overall a great show and those who experienced it live are really blessed souls.

BTW, KV wonderful post about orchestral music, something which needs to be carved on stone :thumbsup: and thanks to KG for posting it here.

Plum
17th September 2012, 08:49 AM
yov yuvan singing pudikkalainna kaatha pothikkongayya ellorum. Sainthu Sainthu was great to listen on live

BTW I missed the show on TV :sad: and hoping that Jaya TV will retelecast or youtubeee saranam

san_K - Yuvar aanar fans mannikkavum, my 6 year old really closed her ears when he sang it on stage yesterday. She likes the tune - and does do a decent impression of the song. The recorded version she kind of really liked and sings with involvement (I have caught her singing it to herself when she is not noticing that I am noticing). (This and mudhal muRai - she sings it as "Nee dhaane endhan sondha bandham"*, **)But yesterday's version, even she could spot the deficiencies. Feel, youththu connect ellAm ok - but there is a line to be drawn some where. When that line is crossed, even I will start sounding like a stritt officer like baroque, thumburu etc :)

* - Therein lies a tale. During the 80s, I used to sing the Ninaivellam Nithya song as "nee dhaane endhan sondha bandham, pudhui raaja vaazhkkai". It was well into the 1990s before I realized it was "Nee Dhaane Endhan Pon Vasantham". :oops: Amazing how this carried over in the genes!

** _ Come to think of it, sondha bandham quite fits the lyrics no, anyway? (in the original movie, wherein the lovers forsake their families and therefore are literally the only sondha bandham to each other)

Plum
17th September 2012, 08:51 AM
KV - :clap:.
Git - didnt i tell you ? This boy is a varungaala internet thooN(if not already)

Sureshs65
17th September 2012, 09:32 AM
Plum,

LOL at 'sondha bandham' :) BTW, seeing this trend in the third gen now. If you consider us the first gen and those who grew up with Rahman as second gen, then our kids are third gen. I have currently heard from atleast a dozen friends that their kids like NEPV. Mostly the rock based songs. Rajasaranam on twitter said that his son when asked which song he likes best says he likes all of them. And he also added that when he tried playing 'ilaya nila', his son asked him to stop it and play the NEPV songs :lol: We seem to be building a new generation of Raja fans.

Sureshs65
17th September 2012, 09:37 AM
KV,

Superb post. Very well articulated.

K_G,

True. The problem is that in most cases it has shifted from a 'musical experience' to just 'experience'. So many stage shows and singing shows on TV assume that the audience wants some 'experience' which involves music but not a 'musical experience'. For example, the Indian Idol (on Sony) started quite well in its first season with the focus mostly on music but then degenrated into some sort of X-factor stuff where you need to look good, dance good, cry good and what not. Unfortunate. As KV says, there is a definite musical experience to be had when a live orchestra play.

marnsZet
17th September 2012, 12:38 PM
I was one among the fortunate souls who attended both Endrendrum Raja and the NEPV audio release functions. And needless to say I saw both programs again on Jaya tv too. The recording quality of the Endrendrum Raja is excellent and almost all instruments coulb distinctly be heard in the TV telecast just like the live performance. But the NEPV audio release telecast is a letdown as the quality is not up to the mark and some instruments could hardly be heard and kind of sounded feeble. After watching this I played the recoded version of Endrendrm Raja and the difference is noticeable.
It is a shame that the channels dont pay much attention to the recoding quality.

crvenky
17th September 2012, 01:12 PM
Any online link to watch the full program?

rajaramsgi
17th September 2012, 02:54 PM
Luckily Jaya TV was telecasted free yesterday by Ayngaran to mark their anniversary celebrations in the UK and I was blessed to see NEPV audio release. A fantastic program for a total of 4 hours and 40 minutes with absolutely no distractions. After listening to the original tracks, in several occasions we noticed that some critical sounds are missing. I would forgive this, if it is a sadhagaparavaigal or Laskhman Sruthi orchestra for not able to reproduce the sounds properly. But this is the Maestro's show..... not sure if it is a Jaya TV fault or if the sound engineer of the concert was not prepared.

You will cry when Balumahendra speaks. Watch out for Raja Sir's facial expressions while Bharathiraja is talking. There was some sort of sadness in face.

You will be angry when RK.Selvamani did a loose talk and goes on to say that Raja sir is a sarvadhigaari. Selvamani sounded as if Raja sir never let any movies to sell in those days without him being the music director, instead of saying that everyone demanded Raja Sir's music in those days.

Interviewing Balachandar, R.Sundarajan and P.Vasu did not add any value to the show, except for Vasu asking for Ore Naal unai naan song. R.V Udayakumar did a fair talk, good info shared.

Gautham Menon is a dignified gentleman, did a neat presentation. He stole all of our hearts when he mentioned that all the proceeds from the show will go to charity. That was the highlight.

Became a fan of Bella Shinde, this girl sounds great and has a great style. :-) Yuvan, Ramya, Karthik, Chorus singers such as Priyadharishini and others -- all are excellent. Orchestra was cool, very patient for such a long concert and went so well with our songs.

Raja Sir was at his best attitude in this show.

kid-glove
17th September 2012, 03:05 PM
One of life's greatest losses - Scorsese type "Concert films" on IR concerts, both for its rhythmic, meditative cutting and acoustic precision.. Could be released as DVD/BR 5.1.

Sureshs65
17th September 2012, 03:25 PM
You will be angry when RK.Selvamani did a loose talk and goes on to say that Raja sir is a sarvadhigaari. Selvamani sounded as if Raja sir never let any movies to sell in those days without him being the music director, instead of saying that everyone demanded Raja Sir's music in those days.

I heard from a very reliable source that day that Selvamani is a HUGE Raja fan. So much so that when a very big banner contact him to do a movie with a big star, he refused because they wanted someone else as the music director. Infact that person told me that Selvamani was willing to destroy his career rather than leave Raja's side. You do seem to have some stubborn loyalist in the dog eat dog industry.

marnsZet
17th September 2012, 03:39 PM
Luckily Jaya TV was telecasted free yesterday by Ayngaran to mark their anniversary celebrations in the UK and I was blessed to see NEPV audio release. A fantastic program for a total of 4 hours and 40 minutes with absolutely no distractions. After listening to the original tracks, in several occasions we noticed that some critical sounds are missing. I would forgive this, if it is a sadhagaparavaigal or Laskhman Sruthi orchestra for not able to reproduce the sounds properly. But this is the Maestro's show..... not sure if it is a Jaya TV fault or if the sound engineer of the concert was not prepared.

Rajaramsgi
It must have been the fault of the channel. I attended the function and the audio reproduction was delightful to say the least. When i heard the songs on the live telecast yesterday it sounded feeble. Channels should pay attention to these details .

ajaybaskar
17th September 2012, 04:36 PM
Sureshji,

True. Sathya movies wanted to make Baasha with RKS being the director and ARR being the MD. RKS declined stating that he is not comfortable with any other MD. The project went to Suresh Krissna and he chose Deva over ARR as they shared a winning record with Annamalai.

Sureshs65
17th September 2012, 04:45 PM
Ajay,

Thanks. The person did not tell me these details only that RKS did not want to do a movie with Raja. Didn't know it was 'Baasha'.

ajaybaskar
17th September 2012, 04:51 PM
RKS himself confirmed this in an interview to Kumudham some years back.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th September 2012, 06:04 PM
A tribute to Ilayaraja by London Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixY7DXDh4vU

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th September 2012, 06:05 PM
I always wanted to work with Ilayaraja Because he is youngest of all the music directors that I know!

http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-south-interview-with-gautham-vasudev-menon/20120917.htm (http://t.co/5wKEVe5k) Gautam Interveiw

You have worked with Harris Jayaraj and A R Rahman so far. For this very young love story, you have Ilayaraja as the music composer. Why?
Because he is the youngest of all the music directors that I know!
Through the '70s, '80s and '90s, Raja Sir has been composing music for lots and lots of songs that have inspired a lot of people, including me. That is why I wanted him to compose for a young love story.
Yes, I always wanted to work with him but somehow I didn't have the courage to ask him.

You must have grown up listening to his music. So, how difficult was it for you to approach him to compose for your film?
It wasn't difficult after I met him, as he made me comfortable.
I was a bit apprehensive as I had heard that he would say no to people if he didn't vibe with them.
I approached him with all the reverence I have for him and he made me comfortable saying, 'you don't have to be afraid at all.'
Has he seen any of your films?
I didn't ask him but he has heard about my films.
He knows that I have used some of his music in my films. His children have told him about my films.
He generally doesn't watch many films. I think he watches films when he has to score the background music.
He is not a film-goer as such but he had heard of my films, and moreover, he made me very comfortable.

How did you work it out—you narrating the scenes and he composing the score?
I showed him some of the visuals I had shot. Then he said, let's start working. I narrated each situation to him, the people in the visuals, the place where the story happens, etc.
In fact, I gave the whole description of the place, the genre and the instruments I wanted.

After each narration, he started composing tunes.

The composing session was done in three days and he gave me around 14 songs. :notworthy: He said, 'You pick which song you want for which situation'. In fact, he has given me alternative tunes also for some situations.

I picked eight songs and went back to him. Then, we started recording. For that, we went to London.

Were you totally satisfied with the tunes he gave you?
Whatever I heard, whatever he had composed was in tune with my description, and I loved all of them. I could choose eight from the 14 tunes he had given.

How different was working with Ilayaraja from working with Harris Jayaraj and A R Rahman? Was it an overwhelming experience?
Obviously, there is no comparison. It was very overwhelming and very emotional. When he plays a tune, the melody comes out so beautifully that you get nostalgic.

It also makes you feel that you have reached a certain stage in your life that you are actually sitting with the man and he was making tunes for you!
I was with him in the entire music creation process. I was with him when he composed the tunes, I was with him when he recorded the voice, and I was with him when every instrument was recorded for every song.

With Harris and Rahman, that doesn't happen. They record the music when they have time and call you to listen to it later.

But with Raja Sir, I was there with him in the whole creation of music. That is why the whole experience was very overwhelming for me.

The songs are vintage Ilayaraja, and quite different from the music in your films so far. How do you plan to picturise the songs?

We have shot a couple of montages and he has given tunes for them.
The picturisation will be a combination of some visuals, montages and songs. Some songs I will shoot based on the tunes I have.

Is it different shooting such soft melodies?
A couple of tunes were so powerful that I had to rework the visual structure. Otherwise, most of the songs take the story forward. They will be more like background songs. :sad:

At the audio launch, Ilayaraja asked the audience not to whistle or clap but listen quietly to the orchestra and songs. How did the crowd, used to actively participating in music shows, react to his demand?
A lot of people responded very well. Many people told me that it was very appropriate as it was a live orchestra and people from London were performing.
An orchestra is different from a rock show. These people are used to a certain kind of response. I think Raja Sir was trying to instil some decorum in the audience. He said, please applaud after the music and not whistle, and they obliged.

Which is your favourite song in the album?
My favourite is also the flavour of the season: Karthik's Katrai Konjam...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th September 2012, 07:55 PM

He also said one more thing right after he said that sarvaathigaari thing, which was not shown - Wistle adikkaatheengannu sollura thairiyam avarukku thaan undu!

I respect RKS!!

V_S
17th September 2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks sakala for sharing this article.

how different was working with ilayaraja from working with harris jayaraj and a r rahman? Was it an overwhelming experience?
obviously, there is no comparison. it was very overwhelming and very emotional. When he plays a tune, the melody comes out so beautifully that you get nostalgic.

it also makes you feel that you have reached a certain stage in your life that you are actually sitting with the man and he was making tunes for you!
i was with him in the entire music creation process. I was with him when he composed the tunes, i was with him when he recorded the voice, and i was with him when every instrument was recorded for every song.

with harris and rahman, that doesn't happen. They record the music when they have time and call you to listen to it later.

but with raja sir, i was there with him in the whole creation of music. That is why the whole experience was very overwhelming for me.
Idhu pOthum yA! GVM neeveer vaazhga! This is the transparency which I was talking about earlier, which was very important to many directors/fans, became secondary now. I can't express the sense of relief in words when I hear this.

Gregorysab
17th September 2012, 08:06 PM
My take on the show:

1. Hats off to GVM for this wonderful gift to Raaja.
2. I felt the show was a bit lengthy - a lot was unnecessary, like the directors talking about Raaja. That too the directors who have now hung up their boots. There is a difference between Balki talking about Ilaiyaraaja, with contemporary examples and some director talking about working with Raaja in 1989 and telling how raaja composed 5 songs in 35minutes. I like the former, not the latter.
3. Hats off to the patience of those musicians who had to sit through all that.
4. Singers did a nice job. Except Yuvan - horrible singing. For that matter, even Raaja was struggling a lot.

I listened to NEPV songs after a 2 day gap yesterday. No matter how many times I listen - I still feel that Saindhu Saindhu, Pengal yendral & Vaanam mella would have been much much better if singer choices would have been different. Both Yuvan and Raaja himself disappointed me a lot, in singing department and Bela Shinde too (i think she is helpless there - given the pitch she is suddenly given in the charanams). Yedhi Yedhi (telugu version) is definitely better than saindhu saindhu!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th September 2012, 08:17 PM

They left the stage during the entire episode of down-the-stage Director's talk! :lol: Prolly had their dinner!

raja_fan
17th September 2012, 08:19 PM
My take on the show:

1. Hats off to GVM for this wonderful gift to Raaja.
2. I felt the show was a bit lengthy - a lot was unnecessary, like the directors talking about Raaja. That too the directors who have now hung up their boots. There is a difference between Balki talking about Ilaiyaraaja, with contemporary examples and some director talking about working with Raaja in 1989 and telling how raaja composed 5 songs in 35minutes. I like the former, not the latter.
4. Singers did a nice job. Except Yuvan - horrible singing. For that matter, even Raaja was struggling a lot.

I listened to NEPV songs after a 2 day gap yesterday. No matter how many times I listen - I still feel that Saindhu Saindhu, Pengal yendral & Vaanam mella would have been much much better if singer choices would have been different. Both Yuvan and Raaja himself disappointed me a lot, in singing department and Bela Shinde too (i think she is helpless there - given the pitch she is suddenly given in the charanams). Yedhi Yedhi (telugu version) is definitely better than saindhu saindhu!

Aakarsh, Was it a coincidence ?
In my post, I have exactly mentioned what you have written in points 2 and 3 above.

raja_fan
17th September 2012, 08:21 PM
// Has he seen any of your films?

I didn't ask him but he has heard about my films.

He knows that I have used some of his music in my films. His children have told him about my films. //

Aah ! That we know for sure. IR's kids only could have told him "Dad...there's a new guy who is successful and also worships you in his films"

app_engine
17th September 2012, 08:26 PM
sAindhu sAindhu - I'll have to confess my liking for Yuvan's singing :oops:
(And I've never liked him as a singer or any song sung by him before)

Lovely song :-)

rajaramsgi
17th September 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks all of you for clarifying about R.K.Selvamani. I was angry earlier but have cooled down after reading your posts.

Yuvan's singing - And I've never liked him as a singer or any song sung by him before Yuvan did a good job in Pengal endral song, I enjoyed it in the cd as well in the concert even though the orchestra did not help him enough. Listen to Oru Kal oru Kannadi song from Siva Manasula sakthi. you may start liking his voice :-) http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGYSR0417'&lang=en, I think Raja sir's hand is in this song :-)

Anban
17th September 2012, 09:00 PM
I was one among the fortunate souls who attended both Endrendrum Raja and the NEPV audio release functions. And needless to say I saw both programs again on Jaya tv too. The recording quality of the Endrendrum Raja is excellent and almost all instruments coulb distinctly be heard in the TV telecast just like the live performance. But the NEPV audio release telecast is a letdown as the quality is not up to the mark and some instruments could hardly be heard and kind of sounded feeble. After watching this I played the recoded version of Endrendrm Raja and the difference is noticeable.
It is a shame that the channels dont pay much attention to the recoding quality.
Agreed totally .. i had the same experience as well ..

PARAMASHIVAN
17th September 2012, 09:03 PM
Have not heard the songs? Is it like the Vintage (80's) rAsA album ?

app_engine
17th September 2012, 09:12 PM
Have not heard the songs? Is it like the Vintage (80's) rAsA album ?

Param,
It's a delight if you like WCM orchestra sounds. I'm one and that's my main reason for loving this album, more than anything else.

If you go exclusively by vocals (I know your love for SPB), you should not have too much expectations. You'll still love the two female solo songs 'saRRu munbu' & 'mudhal muRai pArtha gnAbagam' but I can't assure you if you'll thorougly enjoy the rest.

With that mindset, if you listen to the album, you're in for a treat :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
17th September 2012, 09:32 PM
Param,
It's a delight if you like WCM orchestra sounds. I'm one and that's my main reason for loving this album, more than anything else.

If you go exclusively by vocals (I know your love for SPB), you should not have too much expectations. You'll still love the two female solo songs 'saRRu munbu' & 'mudhal muRai pArtha gnAbagam' but I can't assure you if you'll thorougly enjoy the rest.

With that mindset, if you listen to the album, you're in for a treat :-)

App anna

It is not the SPB factor :), but I have never been a fan of IR's music after Veera/ Inisai mazhai ( Mid 90's), did not like friends, Julie Ganapthy, but loved "Naan Kadavul", Aum Shivohum still gives me the goosebumps , really liked Azhagi songs though :)

Nerd
17th September 2012, 09:38 PM
Listen to Oru Kal oru Kannadi song from Siva Manasula sakthi. you may start liking his voice :-) http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGYSR0417'&lang=en, I think Raja sir's hand is in this song :-)
You gotta be kidding. Horrible song and more importantly Yuvan is unbearable. I think its better for everyone if we just stick to Raaja's music and Yuvan's singing in NEPV. For the record I like his saainthu rendition but not peNgaL enRaal.

MelHarmony
17th September 2012, 10:02 PM
They left the stage during the entire episode of down-the-stage Director's talk! :lol: Prolly had their dinner!

i was there that night and felt sorry for the orchestra! when the Director's interviews were happening there was no logical reason for the orchestra to be there and it was a spoilt show (only for this particular aspect)... The rooms in which these orchestra people were quite ordinary and could have been better...

During the function, I thought somebody should have spared a thought and moment on the orchestra and Nick Newlands...More worse is that nobody tried to thank them or make them feel comfortable (though they had come as professionals!)... I felt GVM had no option but to focus on his agenda that night but I thought he could have given this responsibility of making the orchestra feel comfortable to some one else....

I also felt that the orchestra should have allowed to complete playing all the songs after which the director's interview could have continued...anyway all my complaints are taking back seat simply because no director had given such a perfect celebration for IR and he made no attempt to hide that...

MelHarmony
17th September 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks sakala for sharing this article.

Idhu pOthum yA! GVM neeveer vaazhga! This is the transparency which I was talking about earlier, which was very important to many directors/fans, became secondary now. I can't express the sense of relief in words when I hear this.

GVM has been a revelation for the past few months on his love for IR's music. No director has made their love so open and expressive and articulated as GVM!

Sureshs65
17th September 2012, 10:53 PM
Someone had given the name of the drummer who played in the NEPV album. (The guy who came to Chennai was different.) I am unable to find the name. Can some help? Is there any link to his facebook/wiki etc where we can get more info on him? Amazing playing by this guy.

MelHarmony
17th September 2012, 11:08 PM
Someone had given the name of the drummer who played in the NEPV album. (The guy who came to Chennai was different.) I am unable to find the name. Can some help? Is there any link to his facebook/wiki etc where we can get more info on him? Amazing playing by this guy.

Sureshji,
it was Frenec Nemeth! I liked his drumming a lot (though he had his low moments at a very few places)....some links for him and his news. I also think the Guitarist who actually played in the album abd the one who performed at Nehru stadium were different. because the one who performed at Nehru stadium played in Endrendrum raaja programme and I think he is from Hungary...pls confirm!

http://www.ferencnemeth.com/music/
http://www.ferencnemeth.com/music/2012/08/29/the-times-of-india-article/

jaiganes
17th September 2012, 11:40 PM
App anna

It is not the SPB factor :), but I have never been a fan of IR's music after Veera/ Inisai mazhai ( Mid 90's), did not like friends, Julie Ganapthy, but loved "Naan Kadavul", Aum Shivohum still gives me the goosebumps , really liked Azhagi songs though :)
Dude. u got two choices
1. Take this slow poison and get killed now (as in now + 10 days as it is happening to me) or
2. not hear it and regret after a couple of years like 'Gandhi sethuttaara and get mocked in hub)
No pressure - yuvar choice..

Separate note #1 - dont forget to check out 'thaandavakone' - it is cut out for you..
Separate note #2 - 'Saaindhu Saaindhu' has music in every single second - even when singers are singing - the strings, guitar and horns are hyper active - chumming an addictive melody..
Can a 4 minute song be packed with so many notes? this is a real challenge to any music fan - but as raaja says - It is a definite slow poison - drinker has to die.. (Has to kaadha).

V_S
17th September 2012, 11:49 PM
a 4 minute song be packed with so many notes? this is a real challenge to any music fan
Excellent!, but this is not just a challenge to music fan, but mainly to music directors. This song contains 100s of songs inside, should be a real challenge to any music director to come up with atleast 10% of it. :smile:

irir123
18th September 2012, 07:26 AM
update : the following jazz website has agreed to review NEPV ! : http://www.criticaljazz.com/

however they have requested a a physical copy - i have asked him if iTUNES version is ok - if he says no, then it will have to wait until i get the original CDs from India

Sony guys - why the h*ck cant you release the CDs here ??

K
18th September 2012, 07:38 AM
http://pnaptamil.blogspot.in/2012/09/blog-post_17.html

இந்தப்பாடல்களை இதுவரை வார்த்தைகளோடு கேட்ட நாம், வார்த்தைகள் இல்லாமல் கேட்ட பொழுது கிடைத்த இனிமையே தனி.
இந்தப்பாடல் இசையினை வாசித்த ஆங்கிலக்கலைஞர்[9] இசைஞானிக்கென்று ஒரு தனி மொழி இருக்கிறது என்று கூறிய விதம் நம்மை மகிழவும், பெருமிதம் கொள்ளவும் வைத்தது.

groucho070
18th September 2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks a lot grouch. :smile: pengaL endraal almost morning alarm for me much to the disguise of my wife and kids.:lol:Tried singing it to my son, payyan sirikiramba :???:, so I tried do a SPB-esque rendition, but mudiyala.

irir123
18th September 2012, 08:58 AM
further update: my guess has not gone wrong !

as soon as I mentioned Angel and Abbey Road Studios, I got a reply saying that the review will be started immediately, but they wud still need info reg the US distribution/release of the CD (the readers of the review would need access to the CD)!

enna madhiri oru amateur aasaamikku therinja vishayam koodavaa Sony makkalukku theriyaadhu ??

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 10:16 AM
irir, as usual :clap: :notworthy:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 10:59 AM
I downloaded frm the below torrent link

http://www.tamiltorrents.net/forums/99314-neethaane-en-ponvasantham-audio-release.html

Install a torrent Client and start downloading! Actually, I am keeping my PC ON so that you can grab a copy from my pc! Already 8 users pulling my copy

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 11:04 AM
@IlaiyaraajaFans has uploaded many parts of the program in dailymotion. See the below link. Will work even if u don't have a twitter account

https://twitter.com/IlaiyaraajaFans

Bala (Karthik)
18th September 2012, 11:39 AM
Irir
Sony sodhappal oru pakkam irukka, :notworthy: for your efforts Sir

Sureshs65
18th September 2012, 11:48 AM
Mel,

Thanks for the drummer info. The guitarist is the same one who played in the album. He flew down to London from Hungary to play for this album. And yes, he played in the earlier concert too. The drummer also played in the earlier concert.

Sureshs65
18th September 2012, 11:49 AM
irir123,

Superb effort. As usual, may I add. In case you want physical CDs to be couriered, let me know.

thumburu
18th September 2012, 12:27 PM
I have few unanswered koschans from the NEPV nigazhchi. Was that Mano massacre "iLaiya nila", "pAdu nilAvae" [though the lady lead did a great job], Haricharan's "mandram vandha" all part of the original launch show or Jeya tv's extra fittings to pull on this programme for a good second half of sunday?
Why idnt Gautam feel the need to include the original masterpiece "nee thaane en posantahm" from the legend SPB himself atleast for this show as this was the root cause for the movie itself. Also this being a Raja show, instead of KB I would have loved MSV/TKR or ARR or SPB himself to release the audio

KV
18th September 2012, 12:37 PM
padichu vaazhthna ellaarkkum nandri.

Honestly, I kinda like what Selvamani spoke about. At least, it was a relief from the run-of-the-mill "Raaja is great" ubiquitous comments. More importantly though, he touched upon 'clash of creative egos' – might not be the most appropriate topic for the occassion, but it made an interesting subject matter to ponder over. Let's imagine the situation - here's this youngster, fresh out of film school, all geared-up to make it big in the film scene by attempting something (which he feels is) 'different'. He openly (in the presence of Raaja and the producers) comments about making a successful film without help of the (then) biggest ingredient for success, i.e., the man's music. It’s probably the creator’s ego in him that makes him challenge (what he assumes as) the ‘set norms’ in the industry (although, in reality, we know this was just a perception born out of the power and reach of Raaja’s music, versus him deliberately ‘manufacturing’ a ‘dictatorship regime’) and him being a debutant, the naive confidence should be understandable. Now, what interests me here is how Raaja, the legend, the lion-of-the-jungle sorts, reacts to this newbie’s ‘challenge’. It, but naturally, does provoke him (like it would any artist), but he does not walk out of the project or seek ‘vengeance’ by screwing up the film by intentionally underperforming. The artist in him accepts the challenge, which he responds to by creating a quality soundtrack. It’s almost like him saying “look kid, your self-confidence is admirable. Now, let me show you what I can do to your film. I’ll leave it to you to figure out if it has enhanced your creation or diminished it”. It perhaps doesn’t matter to him if newbie filmmakers come to him requesting/pestering for a soundtrack, or, like in this case ‘challenge the need’ of his contribution, he always will respect the creation, deliver his goods and try to do justice to it. There lies the merit of Raaja the artist and monstrous creator.

P.S.: I don’t recall watching this movie and have pretty much no idea about the quality of the film or its soundtrack. I just see this as an example of how Raaja the artist handles certain ‘artistic conflicts’.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 12:40 PM
thumburu, that mano's rape attempt et al was done separately just to show case in that event! :clap: GVM! Even i thot they were for Canada event rehearsals.

what u saw on TV was exactly what we saw there. The above recital was played on the giant screen on the stage.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 12:42 PM
THe song Ithuthaan Ithukkuthaan was talked about, in Pulan visaaranai. There was also a pathos btw Vijayakanth and his daughter but it was not played full, on screen. BGM pathi pechu irunthuthaannu theriyala. Antha naatkaLla ethana peru BGM interested aa kEppaangannE therila!

KV
18th September 2012, 01:17 PM
oh yeah, mono's agmark pongals at every small expression in ilayanila was :lol:.
Canada trip'ku ivara ellaam kootikitu pOna, thee kulippu dhaan, sollittEn :evil:
SPB, Chitra, shreya, jayachandran, umaramanan, vani jayaram... ippidiyE edhaavadhu plan pannanum.

irir, as usual :clap: for your initiative; awaiting their review.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 01:31 PM
oh yeah, mono's agmark pongals at every small expression in ilayanila was :lol:.

Ennamaa nadikkiraaru! Intha paattukku mike mogan kooda ivLO thalai aatla!

MelHarmony
18th September 2012, 01:54 PM
further update: my guess has not gone wrong !

as soon as I mentioned Angel and Abbey Road Studios, I got a reply saying that the review will be started immediately, but they wud still need info reg the US distribution/release of the CD (the readers of the review would need access to the CD)!

enna madhiri oru amateur aasaamikku therinja vishayam koodavaa Sony makkalukku theriyaadhu ??

Ayyaaa!
Ungal sevai thodarattum! En manamaarntha vazhthukkal! Aavaludan edhirpaarkiraen!

Can somebody try with others such as Clarke Douglas who aired IR songs in DVDVerdict.com back in 2010

MelHarmony
18th September 2012, 02:07 PM
Dude. u got two choices
1. Take this slow poison and get killed now (as in now + 10 days as it is happening to me) or
2. not hear it and regret after a couple of years like 'Gandhi sethuttaara and get mocked in hub)
No pressure - yuvar choice..

Separate note #1 - dont forget to check out 'thaandavakone' - it is cut out for you..
Separate note #2 - 'Saaindhu Saaindhu' has music in every single second - even when singers are singing - the strings, guitar and horns are hyper active - chumming an addictive melody..
Can a 4 minute song be packed with so many notes? this is a real challenge to any music fan - but as raaja says - It is a definite slow poison - drinker has to die.. (Has to kaadha).

when I first heard the "Saaindhu..." fully I felt this one is on the class of "Nee paartha" in Hey ram and even better... This song is not about impeccable singing, it is about the melody+emotional singing , so much so that even Yuvan's rustic singing gives the song a great feel! I don't think Karthik's voice would have done justice to the song! I give full thumbs up to the singer selection for all the songs in the album...(Maybe Hariharan is also another great choice for Kaatrai konjam), except for Vanam mella. In Vaanam mella, the same method is adopted; great melody, divine arrangement; effortless singing is sufficient; But singing was a bit nasal from Bela...

rooky
18th September 2012, 04:37 PM
http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2012/09/raaja-s-music-makes-neethaane-en-ponvasantham-161662.html

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/sep-12-03/gautham-menon-neethane-en-ponvasantham-18-09-12.html

http://www.sify.com/movies/gauthams-nep-turns-red-hot-news-tamil-mjslufaagef.html

raja_fan
18th September 2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article3901066.ece

Director Gautham Vasudev Menon: It is a musical love story, tracing the course of love in different ages, at 14, 18, 23 and 35. Both Jiiva and Samantha have done a wonderful job. We have woven comedy into the story, hence you will find actor Santhanam in a major portion of the film.

So, now it makes sense why few numbers sound like 80s or old.
If hero is 35 in 2012, then he was born in 1977 ( around the time when IR entered and was just establishing ).

So Vanam mella, pudikala maamu, ennodu vaa all might fall in to school/college situations.

krish244
18th September 2012, 06:34 PM
"...People are dumbstruck with the audio launch of 'NEP' which is purely an Ilayaraja's composition. The audio launch was telecasted in Jaya TV which received a huge response from the audience. The entire evening celebration was dedicated to Ilayaraja's music...Gautham Menon has tweeted stating that he is very happy with the prodigious welcome for the audio launch and trailer. And he also thanked Ilayaraja sir for such a spectacular work..."

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nep-gautham-thanks-ilayaraja-for-spectacular-work/292815-71-180.html

"...The latest in tinsel town is that a film production company has acquired the distribution rights of Neethaane En Pon Vasantham starring Jiiva and Samantha in Coimbatore for a whopping price.

Gautham Menon has expressed happiness over the deal, say reports.

Trade analysts believe that the turning point was the grand audio launch of the film, which featured the maestro Ilaiyaraaja himself. The songs have been declared a hit."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/tamil/news-interviews/NEP-the-hot-property-in-K-town/articleshow/16447473.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

marnsZet
18th September 2012, 07:54 PM
Ennamaa nadikkiraaru! Intha paattukku mike mogan kooda ivLO thalai aatla!

Ayyo ayyo! Padaratha vida nadippe paravaillay. Aana pattu padara mathiri nadikkirathu maha mega kodumai.

I think they have recorded the song earlier and shot the video later with singers and players emoting> Just observe the way even some of the players going through the motions with elaborate and contrived [over] smiling!:oops2:

V_S
18th September 2012, 08:01 PM
Now, what interests me here is how Raaja, the legend, the lion-of-the-jungle sorts, reacts to this newbie’s ‘challenge’. It, but naturally, does provoke him (like it would any artist), but he does not walk out of the project or seek ‘vengeance’ by screwing up the film by intentionally underperforming. The artist in him accepts the challenge, which he responds to by creating a quality soundtrack. It’s almost like him saying “look kid, your self-confidence is admirable. Now, let me show you what I can do to your film. I’ll leave it to you to figure out if it has enhanced your creation or diminished it”. It perhaps doesn’t matter to him if newbie filmmakers come to him requesting/pestering for a soundtrack, or, like in this case ‘challenge the need’ of his contribution, he always will respect the creation, deliver his goods and try to do justice to it. There lies the merit of Raaja the artist and monstrous creator.
Superappu! :clap: Beautifully expressed. He never puts art (music) to shame even when it conflicts with his ego. That's the respect and humility Maestro has for the art. In fact he does the other way round, gives his monstrous contribution in those occassions to make the other person shy. The beauty is he manages every human emotion applicable to this universe with his heavenly gifted art. Greatest artist we have ever seen!

app_engine
18th September 2012, 08:06 PM
dig

pulan visAraNai was especially enjoyed for BGM.

This notion of "80's fellows didn't appreciate BGM" is very irritating :mad:

May be media was dumb not to say so in reviews but IRFs had always been shouting loud about his BGM capabilities! I repeat for the 1000th time my collegemate "rAsA padaththai kaNNai moodikkittE pAkkalAm"

end-dig

jaiganes
18th September 2012, 08:12 PM
dig

pulan visAraNai was especially enjoyed for BGM.

This notion of "80's fellows didn't appreciate BGM" is very irritating :mad:

May be media was dumb not to say so in reviews but IRFs had always been shouting loud about his BGM capabilities! I repeat for the 1000th time my collegemate "rAsA padaththai kaNNai moodikkittE pAkkalAm"

end-dig
The story is not complete when RKS left it.
The finish was the tag line in the poster of 'Pulan Visaaranai' - Isaignaaniyin Isai Muzhakkaththil. just for 1 song and a bit song and whole movie full of BGM.
RKS showed that he acknowledged the acceptance of the challenge he posed to Raaja. He did a similar thing(not so similar - a weird trick) to super subbarayan while choreographing the climax fight..
He told his vision of a fight which is just a duel in an empty room - super was aghast and had to be convinced by RKS with a lie that it was an idea lifted from a german film (!!!) and
then we had the awesome fight sequence which had almost no BGM except for the part when Vijaykanth starts returning the punches..

irir123
18th September 2012, 08:21 PM
app_engine : if anyone says 80s makkal didnt appreciate BGMs, they must be from planet mars!

Sigappu Rojakkal when re-released in Pilot theatre (Royapettah - donno if this hall still exists!) in 1995, I saw it with friends during a sunday evening houseful show and there were claps for specific BGMs especially the title music, when a funky piece is played ennio morricone - crossed with jimmi hendrix style!

going back even further, kids like us used to talk hours abt the immortal Johnny theme, Poovizhi vasalile (om om hari om chant! and that crazy plucking of a veena-like instrument as the theme for the bad guy played by the late raghuvaran!) and Nayagan (the 'kamal opens the door while saranya gets ready for her exam/test sitting on the floor' theme), varusham 16 title score, aan paavam theme, sathya's various themes (kamal and amala with horses running in the backdrop, the thundering percussion in the title track and the percussion as a continuation of the train sound behind kamal's dingy middle-class home), the rajini theme for dharmathin thalaivan etc!

to say that IR's BGM was not recognized by 1980s makkals is total BS !

app_engine
18th September 2012, 08:24 PM
irir123, look at how even a HCIRF terms 'andhakkAlaththu fellows':

BGM pathi pechu irunthuthaannu theriyala. Antha naatkaLla ethana peru BGM interested aa kEppaangannE therila!

irir123
18th September 2012, 08:25 PM
forgot to add - varusham 16 has a stunt scene, in which the mrudangam is the only instrument played !! Raaja and his endless kurumbu! a week after we had discussed this after a saturday matinee show, vikatan mentioned it in its review of the film!

and 'idhayathai thirudaadhey' ran a 100 days solely for its BGM !

irir123
18th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Irir
Sony sodhappal oru pakkam irukka, :notworthy: for your efforts Sir

bala (karthik), SKV and others: many thanks for all your encouragement! idha naan oru thani aalaa seiyyaradhu romba kashtam - edho mudindha varaiyil seigiraen! aanaa, even for an album that was recorded and mastered with much fanfare in london, if a branded company like SONY cannot release the CDs globally, am totally helpless!

when i asked if they would like a burnt copy of NEPV, andha ammaa yenna kekkaraanga - 'i dont want to steal the maestro's music - am a musician myself - and i have released CDs and it it totally inappropriate / unfair NOT to buy original CDs' - yenakky romba dharma sangadamaa pocchu

SONY - yenna oru sodhappal

SKV: andha kaalathhu 80s makkals did not observe BGM as much as present day makkals rangela pesuneenganna, yenakku ketta kovam varum, aamaa !

FYK inpormason, when Nayagan was released, its VHS version was simultaneously available - though we watched it at home (rental VHS player + cassette those days!), i was not fully involved with too many makkals at home - later on, a high school friend happened to watch it on a weekend with family coz they didnt have anything else fun to do and next day at school, he was raving abt the film thus "yaaro kamal hassannu oru actor - bayangaramaana nadippu" - this guy was more a bookworm/ classical music fan (from mumbai btw!) than an ardent movie watcher! after naayagan, he became a total Kamal fan! and later on, a HCIRF as well, after we introduced to him the real IR!

only after his reco, did i along with friends watched it onscreen, and besides other things, the BGM stuck with us!

andha 'yaaro kamal hassannu oru actor..' commenta ippa nenachhaa kooda sirippu varudhu!

leaving that aside, the BGMs of IR for Nizhalgal, Udhiri pookkal, tik tik tik, moondram pirai, and agni natchathiram, later on were very much popular - enna, ippa irukkara madhiri neither did we have internet, nor spotify, pandora etc to listen to BGM tracks of world composers at will !

irir123
18th September 2012, 08:36 PM
irir123,

Superb effort. As usual, may I add. In case you want physical CDs to be couriered, let me know.

Suresh sir! vendaam - ungala maadhiri fans evvalavu naalaikku thaan ippadi CDs annupuveenga! ellaathukkum oru limit irukku - avaravarukku sondha velaiyellaam irukkumbodhu, idhellaam seiyya vendiya avasiyame illai - its entirely the responsibility of SONY - they are making money out of this, arent they ??

I have 'kumurufied' my angst to someone at SONY music south! if they dont respond / take action even after this, am thinking of taking it up with GVM himself - checking out options to reach him

naarayanan
18th September 2012, 08:38 PM
80's rasikas were far more appreciative, in my opinion.. leave alone nayagan, apoorva sago, or aan paavam, i vividly remember a thunderous applause at devi theatre, chennai for a bgm bit in kadalora kavidhaigal and it was not even a recurring theme like the others i mentioned. it was for a scene involving sathyaraj and kamala kamesh..

irir123
18th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Ayyaaa!
Ungal sevai thodarattum! En manamaarntha vazhthukkal! Aavaludan edhirpaarkiraen!

Can somebody try with others such as Clarke Douglas who aired IR songs in DVDVerdict.com back in 2010

Clarke Douglas radio show happened in 2009 after i persisted with him for several months!

then there were no CDs of IR on an international branded name - but now, we have NEPV released by Sony - i will wait for max another month to get hold of the physical CD form, before launching on a 'sending-it-to-reviewers-radio-hosts' spree that will include Clarke as well! he is very much in my loop!

V_S
18th September 2012, 09:21 PM
Great discussion on IR's bgm. Countless number of films where we went only for BGM, even ignoring the songs. One film which still haunts me even today at just the thought of it, is Nooraavathu NaaL. I watched in DEvi theatre Sunday Noon show (full house). Right from the titles till the end, the movie had the best of background score and perfect silence wherever needed which chilled our spines and sent us shiver. The atmosphere will be electric. Will never forget the bgm in that movie. Those days the experience watching IR's move in Devi theatre is something extra-ordinary. Will be waiting for every movie released there. Same year we went for NeengaL KEttavai, Komberi Mookan all released in Devi theatre. We went just for the background score. Even the mediocre films richly enhanced by his music and importantly Devi theatre gave that rewarding experience. Remember I was only stuyding 10th grade when I watched those films and even at that young age, we knew what is BGM, could even appreciate most of the nuances and clapped most of the times. That's how Maestro has elevated each and everyone's taste right from kids to old alike. Great audience of 80s/90s. It was a memorable experience watching films with them.

Now a generation is growing without even having a hint of what is a BGM and appreciates whatever comes as music in the background as the BGM. Many does not even know what is orchestration. Even many of my friends/relatives in late 20s/early 30s does not even bother about the above two main aspects in film and music. They don't even know what it takes to compose a background score. The current crop of music directors, MakkaLOda rasanai'ya kuttichuvar aakkitaanga. BGM, orchestration, nalla tunes et al.. indha nalla vaasanyE padaama, music koduthu koduthu keduthutaanga. All they know is western beats. All of a sudden if they come to hear these terms, they have a different and bad opinion about these things. What a turn around and catastrophe! :sad:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 09:22 PM
யோவ், தெரிலன்னுதானேய்யா சொன்னேன்?!? இல்லன்னா சொன்னேன்?!? இதுக்கெதுக்குய்யா இம்புட்டு பேரு ரவுண்டுகட்டி அடிக்கவறீங்க?!? 80s ஃபேன்ஸ்னு நான் சொல்லாத வார்த்தை வேற! நான் கேட்டகரைஸ் பண்ணவேல்ல

Plum
18th September 2012, 09:31 PM
BGM pathi pechu irunthuthaannu theriyala. Antha naatkaLla ethana peru BGM interested aa kEppaangannE therila!

allOv - andha generation IR BGM-ai silAgikka sollO dhAn BGM apdingaRadhu Tamizh Cinemala uchchathukku vara virumbum MDsku thavirkka iyalAdha oNNAA Agi pOchu.
innum evLO nALukku indha thalaimuRai - which has no standards in music/BGM and prefers hit soundtracks (ennamo Edho etc) - ennamO andha thalaimURaiya vida rasanaiyil uyarndhadhunnu (ungaLaiyum aRiyAma innocentA/naive-A) sollikittirukka pORInga

"Mahendran Udhiri Pookkal eduthappO, 25 vAram Oda vechu nall padangaLin patron-ai irundhAdhu yAru? ellAm namma payaha(andha generation payahh) dhaen"

Different movienA Subramanyapuram, Paruthi Veeran rangela dhAn irukkum indha generation ellAm "Oh andha kAlathulEyE BGM ellAm rasippAngaLA")-nu pEsa kudAdhu :evil:

MelHarmony
18th September 2012, 09:51 PM
Clarke Douglas radio show happened in 2009 after i persisted with him for several months!

then there were no CDs of IR on an international branded name - but now, we have NEPV released by Sony - i will wait for max another month to get hold of the physical CD form, before launching on a 'sending-it-to-reviewers-radio-hosts' spree that will include Clarke as well! he is very much in my loop!

great irir to know he is in your radar! it was one great radio show on IR till now even our local Indian FM channels could not match in terms of its track selection and agenda! great work!
my wishes for NEP with him!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th September 2012, 10:08 PM
One thing i regret is, most of my impression will of course come from the place where i lived only, no?!? Whenever i read articles written by likes of suka, something like "i played an IR song, 2 strangers came, sat and we 3 where listening IR songs whole night" etc, and the characters they introduce, those who enlight them of IR's music, I had no such ppl around me.

I was totally a lone person when it came to rasichifying Kamal and IR. Yennu therila. With my very little extrovert skills, whenever i spoke with my friends, somehow none of them will be interested in 'talking' about music, be it IR or anybody. Silapala nigazhvugaL made me to go back to shell and not talk about IR at all.

While studying 3rd standard, i wrote a stupid letter to IR, only these lines i remember "எனக்கு ஒரு பியானோ வாங்கித்தாருங்கள். உங்கள் காலடி செருப்பாய் இருக்கிறேன்" I from no world, knoew how exactly a piano will look, at that time. I still wonder where i picked that word! I din't have raja's address and just wrote as "To, Illayaraja, Usman road, Chennai." And fortunately/unfortunately, my brothers saw that letter (b4 me even thinking of posting it), grabbed it and read loud in hall which embarassed me to the core.

Another one, i could not recollect the name of this song Anthimazhai pozhigirathu, and only knew its a kamal movie. So when once that movie was played in VHS, i asked, "when will that swimming pool song come?" my friend kids around me themself laughed at me!

Another time when i was listening to Thenpaandi seemaiyle, somewhat realising that this song is making un explainable feeling in me, and was in in kind of trance, was interrupted by my mom who said "Ungappaavukku sOga paattunnuaa pudikkaathu, off pannudaa" Then for many months i didn't touch the tape recorder.

WHen i start explaining how i was bullied by a rajini fan gang(ellaam sonthakkaara payaha thaan!), being a lone kamal fan, this space won't be enuf!

But this is what i feel, somehow i didn't at all get/try to get the right soozhal!

THat apart, my town is a superb rasanai place! Mouna raagam ran just 2 days! Naayagan itself released in a kind of abandoned theater far outside town. Many good movies didn't release at all!

During some recent IR fans meet, SKR was saying about his environment where carnatic music is mainstay and he easily identified raagas. I used to feel there was no such environment happened for me. Anyways, now, karai yeri vanthutten. Mayyam is a saviour for me :)

irir123
18th September 2012, 10:21 PM
great irir to know he is in your radar! it was one great radio show on IR till now even our local Indian FM channels could not match in terms of its track selection and agenda! great work!
my wishes for NEP with him!

its not that he is in my radar ! i approached him in 2009 in the first place, so how could i not include him for NEPV ?!

app_engine
18th September 2012, 11:01 PM
SKV,

Cool down friend :-)

It was definitely not any intention to question you or anything like that.

It's simply a defence against the general 'generation-gap' thingy - where one gen looks down at another (happens in both directions all the time).

As you can see from the spirited posts of many here, the peak of rAsA was marked by an increased appreciation of the finer aspects of TFM - such as interludes in songs & BGM ("re-recording") of films.

Not that they had their beginning with rAsA. TFM fans always appreciated such aspects. Even during my elementary school days (early 70's, pre-IR time period), my classmates used to tell movie stories accompanied by their vocal BGM :lol: A very easy example, like how famous the nAdhaswaram playing in Thillana Mohanambal was, should showcase anyone how much instrumental music had its followers in TN even prior to IR. IOKS used to play such pieces as the "theme music" for some of their programs. Even AIR at times played 'vAththiya isai' from movie records and I very clearly remember them playing a track from a Shankar-Ganesh movie!

IR's arrival gave unprecedented focus to TFM overall, even among people who hitherto didn't appreciate such finer aspects. What was once a 'only-high-society' appreciation has suddenly become a 'teakkadai talk'. That was the key difference. I remember my cousin feverishly explaining the sigappu rOjAkkaL BGM ("andhak kai maNNula irundhu varumbOthu oru music varum pAru...raththamE oRanju pOydum").

I don't know which part of TN you're from but I'm from a hamlet that was far far away from any big city and we had feverish conversations in school about interludes, BGM and the likes in late-70's. By 80's, in college and beyond, I had observed such discussions among a much wider set of people (who were not necessarily IRFs or big-time-followers of TFM, just ordinary people from all walks of life).

That's why whenever people slight earlier gens w.r.t. interludes / BGM, I need to post something.

kiru
18th September 2012, 11:20 PM
I think we should not discredit the younger generation too much. People who are in the late 30s/40s did not have access to music as much as the current generation. We were limited to radio/tape recorders etc. Fortunately for us, the "limited music" we had access to was of high quality. We were coming from a traditional culture and the film MDs were watering down carnatic and mixing western classical and giving it to us. But today, because the access is so good, we get all genres and its imitations. We all can have our own opinion on which form of music is "high quality" but the good thing is young people get to listen to music first place (I remember, my younger brother sneaking a transistor radio to bed, forgetting to switch it of, draining the battery and getting into trouble with my dad). The younger generation may not appreciate IR's music or carnatic that much, but I am sure slowly they will get into all of this after a while. I dont mind some body else being #1 MD in sales .. I am fine with IR being #2 or #3 till he dies which I hope gets postponed forever.
Even today, I am on a wait-and-watch to see how much fan following saRRu munbu and muthan muRai gets.
(BTW, we should all appreciate Na. muthukumar for the high quality lyrics in this movie (did I hear kaapi in vaanam mella ?..werid) .. Good job guy.. if you maintain the same quality the enjoyment of IR's music will be doubled by your lyrics)

jmahesh
19th September 2012, 12:49 AM
Here is the link for NEPV audio launch video

http://www.techsatish.net/2012/09/jaya-tv-neethaane-en-ponvasantham-audio.html

Vinodkumar
19th September 2012, 01:41 AM
Did you guys see that there were 2 bassoon instruments? I think they were next to Oboe/Clarinet? Also, Mr. Nicholas Newland conducted the orchestra is something you will only see in live classical concerts (even though this was an audio launch function, the way he bowed to the audience and hand shaking the concert master (first chair) was very professional). The lucky souls were the CHOIR group (both female and male) witnessing live orchestra. They were all very fortunate to be in the middle of the whole orchestra. Also noticed Harp in the back corner.. I did not see the Bagpiper. Not sure if it was used or not... This is 100% classical orchestra. The only thing missing is a concert hall. I can just imagine how it will sound in a concert hall... I hope they release the audio portion of the "Tribute to Raaja" section.

app_engine
19th September 2012, 02:59 AM
Ferenc Nemeth (http://karionproductions.blogspot.com/2012/09/drummer-ferenc-nemeth-achieving-great.html#!/2012/09/drummer-ferenc-nemeth-achieving-great.html)

Relocating to New York in 2003, Nemeth’s distinctive energy and drive saw his career continuing with many of the same musicians, and also expanding to include the likes of Christian McBride, John Patitucci, Lionel Loueke, John Abercrombie, Dave Samuels, Mark Turner, Hal Crook, David Benoit, Bud Shank, Greg Hopkins, Phil Wilson, Dave Grusin, Eddie Daniels, Eddie Henderson, Ron McClure, Chris Cheek, Aaron Goldberg, Kenny Wheeler, Eli Degibri, Jonathan Kreisberg, John Ellis, Omer Avital and most recently Ilayaraja

dochu
19th September 2012, 03:02 AM
jmahesh,
Thanks for the link.

I was in tears throughout the clips!!!.

A great tribute to the man.

irir123
19th September 2012, 08:46 AM
update again!:

here is the reply from the jazz critic!:

"burn me something. i have a good feeling about this." - this abt NEPV after he listened to some of other IR's works online and he learnt that Ferenc Nemeth is the drummer who worked on NEPV - Nemeth's earlier works have been reviewed by him and i have a gut feeling being his friend, he has gotten some feedback from Nemeth abt IR!

my instincts are proving correct once again! and am going through the kind of nervous anticipation of a stunning review!

this is just the beginning friends! many more in the offing

a renowned New Orleans based jazz club is the next target

but one thing at a time

irir123
19th September 2012, 10:45 AM
watching the NEPV audio release show - Suraj Jagan was embarrassing - why would they even want to perform a song of this genre with a full-fledged orchestra on stage ? it was eve more nauseating to watch the group doing a kutthu on the same stage - advising the crowd not to whistle so as to maintain decorum with a symphony orchestra is one thing - and to have a cheap kuthhu dance performed with the same orchestra on stage is absolute crass and defeats the very purpose of even advising the crowd to be silent

I wish I had a million dollars to invite IR to do a proper symphonic concert

Vinodkumar
19th September 2012, 11:03 AM
watching the NEPV audio release show - Suraj Jagan was embarrassing - why would they even want to perform a song of this genre with a full-fledged orchestra on stage ? it was eve more nauseating to watch the group doing a kutthu on the same stage - advising the crowd not to whistle so as to maintain decorum with a symphony orchestra is one thing - and to have a cheap kuthhu dance performed with the same orchestra on stage is absolute crass and defeats the very purpose of even advising the crowd to be silent

Yes.. they could have avoided dancing on the stage. After putting in lot of effort and this dance reminded me of a typical audio release function...

MelHarmony
19th September 2012, 01:20 PM

++1

nallathor veenai seithu adhai nalam keda puzhudhiyil yerivdhundo! kann ketta piragu sooriya namaskaram panra maathiri, everyone else will realize this mistake after a long time!

MelHarmony
19th September 2012, 01:22 PM
update again!:

here is the reply from the jazz critic!:

"burn me something. i have a good feeling about this." - this abt NEPV after he listened to some of other IR's works online and he learnt that Ferenc Nemeth is the drummer who worked on NEPV - Nemeth's earlier works have been reviewed by him and i have a gut feeling being his friend, he has gotten some feedback from Nemeth abt IR!

my instincts are proving correct once again! and am going through the kind of nervous anticipation of a stunning review!

this is just the beginning friends! many more in the offing

a renowned New Orleans based jazz club is the next target

but one thing at a time

way to go irir!

MelHarmony
19th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Did you guys see that there were 2 bassoon instruments? I think they were next to Oboe/Clarinet? Also, Mr. Nicholas Newland conducted the orchestra is something you will only see in live classical concerts (even though this was an audio launch function, the way he bowed to the audience and hand shaking the concert master (first chair) was very professional). The lucky souls were the CHOIR group (both female and male) witnessing live orchestra. They were all very fortunate to be in the middle of the whole orchestra. Also noticed Harp in the back corner.. I did not see the Bagpiper. Not sure if it was used or not... This is 100% classical orchestra. The only thing missing is a concert hall. I can just imagine how it will sound in a concert hall... I hope they release the audio portion of the "Tribute to Raaja" section.

yes Nick was quite professional and bubbling with energy. During rehearsing the orchestra were playing all songs including the tribute instrumental piece....IR pointed the mistakes in the violin section when they played "sundari" BGM piece in which the they made some mistakes Nick immediately oblidged to IR's request and corrected their notes on the stage itself...i was awe struck....

MelHarmony
19th September 2012, 01:34 PM
its not that he is in my radar ! i approached him in 2009 in the first place, so how could i not include him for NEPV ?!

I remember by reading about your role in getting that FM program through, and will forget the joy of listening! thanks for pointing out!

SoftSword
19th September 2012, 03:23 PM
nobody spoke about 'janani janani' here?

Bala (Karthik)
19th September 2012, 05:37 PM
Mano's massacre of Ilaiya Nila :|

Plum
19th September 2012, 07:23 PM
Please dont insult great singers and hurt his fans in the process

KV
19th September 2012, 07:45 PM

I just tried imagining you telling this with a serious tone... mudiyala... :rotfl:

jaiganes
19th September 2012, 07:52 PM
allov - avaru vijay TVyoda LEGENDS theriyuma?
VijayTV has successfully miniaturized the entire 'arts' field of thamizh naadu - so much so that Mano and Malgudi 'shabba' are legends, I donno what Vijay TV chinnapayyans will
call SPB if he walks into their sets or a KJY or a TMS?
Bhaavanaa: AmmaaadiyOV setukkuLLa dinosaur vandhuruch,,, settae nasungi poidume.. book that ticket to singapore - aathukaaraa njaan varunnu, enne kshamichu rakshikkanum ponnu saare...

app_engine
19th September 2012, 07:53 PM
'sAindhu sAindhu' keeps playing in mind and I'm not able to stop :-)

Tried all my 'alternate dumping' tricks - didn't work.

It's very very long time since I'm unsuccessful trying to stop a song playing in mind :oops:

Gautam & IR :thumbsup:

jaiganes
19th September 2012, 07:58 PM
'sAindhu sAindhu' keeps playing in mind and I'm not able to stop :-)

Tried all my 'alternate dumping' tricks - didn't work.

It's very very long time since I'm unsuccessful trying to stop a song playing in mind :oops:

Gautam & IR :thumbsup:
same here.. the guitar work in the song is so soft and sweet that it keeps playing in the mind.(particularly when ramya finishes the charanam line followed by one twang and then the next line one more twang and then violins and horns take over to next line.. wow)
Already all the interludes are playing in the mind, now need to internalize the intricate instrumental layer embedded in the vocal layers of all the songs..
Velaippaadu nna ippdi dhaan irukkanum...

kiru
19th September 2012, 08:11 PM

iLaya nilA is not rock genre .. he is thamizhagathin Rock star you know ..

kiru
19th September 2012, 08:16 PM
... I did not see the Bagpiper. ..
I think the clarinets played instead of the Bagpipes.. I think the camera guy focussed on them. Good use of Harps.
I am sure Nick's orchestra played many and even tougher concerts of great masters. But I am sure they will be surprised this is "popular" music in this part of the world.

app_engine
19th September 2012, 08:16 PM
Watched 3/4th of the show last night (had to stop after my son forced me to sleep '1 mani varaikkum thoongAma enna paNReenga?')

Though some felt the interview with the (retired) directors was lengthy / unnecessary etc, that is so far my most fav part of the show :oops:

:thumbsup: to Gautam! Smart guy!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 08:19 PM
Plum, the angst i had on barathiraja, after seeing the Directors function it totally gone. BR just rocked in this event! His talk stands too tall from all the other directors talk. Even Balumahendra's one comes next!

BR :clap: aiyaa unga paavathai ellaam kazhuvitteenga :lol: IR kan kalangified many times during BR speech! Nallathu nadanthaa kooda aachariyappadrathukku illa!

V_S
19th September 2012, 08:22 PM
Watched the NEPV audio launch telecast. Wonderful show by all means. There are hiccups and embarrassments, but overall very nicely done. My first pick of the entire show was the directors' speech. I know we already heard a lot about them and all their praises earlier many times, but somehow these directors take me to a nostalgic trip down my memory lane. I loved their speech, the respect and regards they have for our Maestro. Most of all, after a long time I could luckily catch one my most favorite director Bharathiraja and his trademark style speech. In this speech I could sense the depth of their friendship and their relationship. The way he expressed his love, affection towards Raja with his unique modulation, and also his notorious comments about the distinguished guests even when they were present, his honest praise for Gautam all gave me the most overwhelming moment of the show. Here is the partial transcript on what he spoke.

என் இனிய தமிழ் மக்களே (You have to see Maestro's uninhibited priceless smile). (whenever BR utters these words, I become his slave. What a voice and soul in that delivery!)

வாழ்வில் சில நிகழ்வுகள் பிரம்மாண்டமாகவும் ஒரு வியப்புக்குரியதாகவும் இருக்கலாம். இந்த நிகழ்ச்சி என்னை பொறுத்தவரை ஒரு நெகிழ்ச்சியான நிகழ்ச்சி. And I love my raja (see his modulation there, priceless!). Bloody :lol: அவனை இவ்வளவு தூரம் ஒரு உயரத்துல கொண்டு வந்து உக்காரவச்சு அவன் தனக்கு தானே பெருசா வளர்ந்துட்டான், இருந்தா கூட Gautham, Hats off to you. You gave him a correct place. You gave him a correct honor. :notworthy: (You have to see Maestro's face there glittering with smile that he had lost for years together). ஒரு மனிதனை மரியாதை செய்வதற்கு கூட ஒரு மரியாதை உள்ள மனிதன் வேண்டும் Gautham, you are great. :notworthy: (Beautifully said!).

சபை நாகரீகம் கருதி நான் என்னுடைய இசை ஞானி அப்படீன்னு சொல்லி அவர் இருக்கிறார் இசையில்'னு சொல்ல எனக்கு பழக்கம் இல்ல. என்ன, அவன நான் இசை ஞானின்னு சொன்னேன்னாலே அன்னியப்பட்டு போய்விடுகிறேன் நானும் அவனும். எனக்கு என்னைக்குமே ராஜா அவன் ராஜாதான். OK? :clap: அவன் சொன்னான் நாங்க ஹார்மோனியம் பெட்டி தூக்கிட்டு நானும் கூட கூட்டிகிட்டு போனேன்னு சொன்னான். கண்ணு கலங்கிடிச்சு. (me too) என்ன more than 45 வருஷமா நானும் அவனும் பயனப்பட்டிருகோம். எங்கெங்கேயோ சுத்திர்கோம் என்னென்னவோ பன்னிர்க்கோம் எவ்வளவோ சண்டைகள் எவ்வளவோ இது, ஆனா இந்த அளவுக்கு ராஜா படித்து ஒரு academic qualification 'ஓட இருந்து வளரந்திருந்தா கூட ஒரு இதில்ல. அனா he came from zero. oru சய்பரிலிருந்து தொடங்கி அனா எத்தனை சய்பர் போட்டு கடைசில ஒரு ஒன்னு போட்டான் பார்த்தீங்களா. :lol: அதுக்குதான் மரியாதை.

இசை பத்தி நீங்க இனிமேல் அவன் வந்து he is a great man, he achieved something, அடேயப்பா ஹங்கேரிலேர்ந்து, ஒரு விஷயம் நான் சந்தோஷபட்டேன். இந்த ஹங்கேரிலேர்ந்து வந்தாங்களே நல்ல வெள்ள தோல் போட்ட ஆளுக நம்ம கருப்பு காரன் மியூசிக்'க ரசிக்க வந்தான் பாருங்க great! :lol: (please watch Samantha's smile and applause), we win. ஆங்கிலேயரோட சண்டை போட்டோம் வெள்ளைகாரனை பார்த்தாலே என்னடாம்பான், அனா அது ஒரு வகையான achievement in his life.

அது மட்டுமில்ல அவனுக்கான இன்னும் தகுதி இன்னும் எவ்வளவோ இருக்கு. ஒரு சாதாரண மனிதனாக இருந்து அதற்கப்புறம் வளர்ந்து, தன்னை சுயம்புவாக வளர்ந்தான். கொஞ்சம் அங்க இங்க கத்துகிட்டான் அனா அவன் ஒருசுயம்பு. அவனோட மியூசிக்'க பத்தி சொல்லனும்னு சொன்னா எதோ இமய மலைக்கு போய் முண்டாசு கட்டின மாதிரி. இமயமலைக்கு யாராவது முண்டாசு கட்ட முடியுமா?. கெளரவம் கொடுப்பதுக்கு கூட ஒரு இது வேணும்.

இருந்தாலும் சொந்தாமான விஷயங்கள பகிர்ந்துக்கணும் (will complete tomorrow).

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 08:23 PM
Gautam said he was afraid to meet Raja and ask for an movie offer. But man, what a damn fan he is! The short interview in the beginning which was recorded and shown, it had superb questions! Raja tried to go to is too generic "i dont care all that" attitude, but Gautam vidaama kElvi kEttu correct answer vaanginaar! The final one raja said "Ithu slow poison, Aala kill pannaama vidaathu" :notworthy:

Atleast once in a year, visham kudunga theivame! Kudichittu santhOshamaa saagurOm :D

SoftSword
19th September 2012, 08:25 PM
there was one cute expression from BR when IR kalaaichufies him saying 'avar engayo poittaar, naan ingayae irukkaen..'
sweet chemistry..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 08:25 PM
"ஏ, அங்க பாத்தியா பாரதிராஜா வந்திருக்கான்" ந்னு இவர் ஆர்மோனியத்திடம் சொல்ல!, அவர் "பிளடி" என சொல்ல, ஒரே கொஞ்சல்ஸ் தான்! :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 08:27 PM
there was one cute expression from BR when IR kalaaichufies him saying 'avar engayo poittaar, naan ingayae irukkaen..'
sweet chemistry..

yes! typical rural side, beautiful expression! no words needed!

யாராவது, இவங்க ரெண்டுபேரோட பேச்சு/கூத்து/பகடி/நெகிழ்வு மட்டும் தனி வீடியோவா எடுத்து போடுங்கப்பா!

V_S
19th September 2012, 08:27 PM
Also when BR was speaking, Karthikraja signaled Raja with his mischevious smile and Raja acknowledged. Too good to watch.

app_engine
19th September 2012, 09:58 PM
One of the thoughts that came up while watching the show was how do the numbers work for such a show :roll:

Getting 50 EU musicians to Chennai for a show - the mere travel / stay and such mundane stuff could easily cost around $100K...add another $100K for their professional fees, other expenses (venue / Mano recording etc) - even if one considers the NEPV crew themselves didn't charge any and the local celebrities too offered to be on the show free of cost - the cost of such a show could easily touch Rs 1 cr ($200K).

Per SKV's estimate, there was a crowd of 3K or so and the tickets couldn't have covered more than 30-40% of that expenses.

Are the rest all by TV rights? Sponsors? How does even Gautam talk about donating money to charity from the proceeds?

:confused:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:01 PM
app_engine, u r still in old school thinking, wrt the audio event ticket sales and audio physical media sales to bear the cost of audio launch event.

Given that the case, not even one audio launch will withstand. the biggest/costliest launch could be enthiran and the recent launch b4 NEPV is Maatraan. Enthiran CD sales is not any sort of record and Matraan is not even a starter!

The new business landscape has changed. The publicity geared thru event is being expected by the producers to turn towards the movie, thus Audio launch is only an investment for publicity, today. Of course, Satellite rights are good way to get the money back. Jaya TV would surely telecast this 3 more times. the rest of the investment shud come from the movie ticket sales. no other go

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:05 PM
Also, the Audio rights sold to sony for 1+ Crore which is sufficient to run this show. Don't worry how sony will get back the money, physical CD sales or legal mp3 sales or ringtone rights or FM/Music channel rights, or whatever it is. Gautam got 1C on hand from sony and he cud have spent that on the event, simple! Now add the ticket sales!

App will now ask to deduce the free CDs given in the event and would ask to consider the Gautam's announcement that the partial proceedings of that event goes to charity! :lol2:

app_engine
19th September 2012, 11:11 PM
the rest of the investment shud come from the movie ticket sales. no other go

Do you mean to say Gautam is giving money to charity from movie ticket sales? :lol2:

I don't think businessmen (esp movie producers) are that dumb to spend money for EU orchestra etc, thinking that somehow it would translate into theater crowd. Agreed it could help in selling at a higher price to distributors but they won't simply spend without being calculative IMHO.

Ofcourse I'm from old-school-thought, but tell me, if Jaya TV paid for the program rights or the producer is paying Jaya TV to show the event (as marketing / publicity spend)?

app_engine
19th September 2012, 11:12 PM
Boss, audio rights one crore is already spent in Angel studios recording :lol2:

How can he spend again for an event is the question...

Nerd
19th September 2012, 11:17 PM
Bolly producers reserve even 30% of the budget for promotion. Idhellaam sillarai kaasu. Jaya TV would have made around 10c in ads alone. And I am sure they would have bought it for 3-4C. There is no question of loss here for GVM.

Also the real reason for charity was - first they started *selling* tickets for money and later on the day of the show, they started giving tickets away for free. appO kaasu kuduththu vaanginavan vaazhkkai? punniyam sErum :-) :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:22 PM
Nerd, i heard that last night b4 the event, it was said free tickets will be available in Jaya TV office, limited to 1 per person. But then heard that no such tickets were given! They closed the online booking 31st night but again opened it 1st morning

Sureshs65
19th September 2012, 11:23 PM
app,

As SKV and Nerd say, all this is part of publicity budget, recovered through selling telecast rights to channel, in stadium advertising etc. More importantly this hype would have helped GVM sell the film for a much higher price. In the sense, even if 2-3 cr was spent it could have translated into a 10c advantage when the film is sold. And nowadays which producer worries about ticket sales. That is the headache of distributor and theater fellows.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:24 PM
pp, angel studios recording cost, yes it shud be atleast 1C, and swamigal also would have been offered 1C, deservingly, i guess.

If gautam is the 1st director to take motta boss to 1C mark, then its another achievement for him, for raising the bar!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:26 PM
இளையராஜா இசையால் பெரும் விலைக்கு போன நீதானே என் பொன்வரந்தம் news et all came yesterday no?!? :)

Anban
19th September 2012, 11:26 PM
Public passes were sold for money .. no doubts about it

Nerd
19th September 2012, 11:27 PM
Nerd, i heard that last night b4 the event, it was said free tickets will be available in Jaya TV office, limited to 1 per person. But then heard that no such tickets were given! They closed the online booking 31st night but again opened it 1st morning
I vageuly remember one of those blade comperes of the show saying, "nEththu night ticket kudukka aarambichchu, udanE full aayiduchchu" or something to that effect. Obviously I was not there and you were there, so your words carry more weight :-) But as you said, heard from friends that Jaya Tv (was supposed to?) offer tickets for free in their office.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:27 PM
Yesterday gautam tweeted that he is going to do a film with both Jeeva and Nani in one film. good :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:33 PM
I vageuly remember one of those blade comperes of the show saying, "nEththu night ticket kudukka aarambichchu, udanE full aayiduchchu" or something to that effect. Obviously I was not there and you were there, so your words carry more weight :-)

That guy even said, ore traffic jam :lol: nothing of that sort! Thats a usual buildup statement! In public seating, theere where empty seats in corners, but anyways average 3K is sure. Maybe the epty seats could vouch for 1 to 1.5K ppl. thats for the staircase chairs. in the ground, the front place accupied by VVIPS as we all saw, and the vast space behind that was generously filled with press and osi ticket gumbals!

and also, actually there was quite some demand for ticket! one 20 yr old boy asked me for tickets, i asked if he is raja fan, he said he is gautam fan :lol2: sari, youth director nnu purinjikitten!

Nehru indoor stadium enakku avlo perusaa theriyala, after seeing lots of events there, like Kamal 50 and many others, i imagined the hall will be too big!

app_engine
19th September 2012, 11:43 PM
nanRi SKV, Nerd & Sureshji for the insights on the cost management!

So, spending for such an extravaganza is realized by multiple means :

-Film producer's promotion budget (who hopes to sell the movie at higher price)
-TV rights for the event itself (who in turn sells the ad space and makes many times profit)
-entry ticket sales
-stadium ad banners and such sponsors
(I doubt if the music company itself spends money for the event...if it does so, that could be another source)

BTW, Nehru indoor stadium, as per wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawaharlal_Nehru_Stadium,_Chennai)has a capacity of 8000 it seems. So, the event possibly had an attendance of 5K or so.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:53 PM
BTW, Nehru indoor stadium, as per wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawaharlal_Nehru_Stadium,_Chennai)has a capacity of 8000 it seems. So, the event possibly had an attendance of 5K or so.

seating is 4 sides and one side completely abandoned for the sake of brammaandamaana Stage. This is the case for almost all events incl the recent MSV function. (But for Kamal-50 all 4 sided were used)

So u can reduce 1250 safely, add some 1K at both corners and ~ 3K

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th September 2012, 11:57 PM
:lol: escape aayitteer pOla!! :wink:

layman10
20th September 2012, 12:13 AM
I think last sporting event in this stadium, featured Nehru himself :). They need some good hall with real stage...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th September 2012, 01:27 AM
Gautam didn't even put his name in the Audio Launch ticket!

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/659025464.jpg?key=19931435&Expires=1348085604&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=TFqY-cIkftdVz33HoKzQZNPuJFLKHvOl75VA0bInaNDJvGhfgpFty0d Itio1VrELB2~hVEMvXEKoU~BODuH4p8xC~TXx~7EUbwaozm~~L 0IxE7ACjzzNe7B6SxuyyFM9DLBf21Ah4A7Rglq0syB2GihpcEe R9TaWi6lBmlnSEi4_

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th September 2012, 01:28 AM
I think last sporting event in this stadium, featured Nehru himself :). They need some good hall with real stage...

:rotfl:

irir123
20th September 2012, 01:56 AM
can anyone pls upload here high quality images of NEPV audio CD cover ?

thanks

app_engine
20th September 2012, 05:48 AM
Full programum pAtthAch :-)

What an evening it was!

One could see that the orchestra thoroughly enjoyed playing the score (the joy was very evident during 'ennOdu vA vA' first half).

Fantastic performance!

Thank you Gautham!

app_engine
20th September 2012, 07:11 AM
After watching rAsA's struggle on-stage for vAnam mellakkeezhirangi (surprisingly Bela seemed to enjoy singing there), I couldn't wait to start playing the regular version on loop...rAsA has managed the difficult portions in the saraNam very well in the recording:-)

However, mEdaiyil pArkka romba paridhAbamA irundhadhu :-(

I felt like myself struggling there (to hit the higher notes) and was very relieved when the song was over...

marnsZet
20th September 2012, 08:18 AM
Public passes were sold for money .. no doubts about it
Very much the case.One person from chennai who was seated next to me had bought the free pass for 500 rs. And those who bought those passes couldnot get the free cds and posters.

Anban
20th September 2012, 08:58 AM
Very much the case.One person from chennai who was seated next to me had bought the free pass for 500 rs. And those who bought those passes couldnot get the free cds and posters.

I got free cd and poster

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th September 2012, 05:37 PM
NEPV Effect is sure to bring some current directors to Raja. Its just that Raja has to agree!

http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2012/09/ameer-requests-raaja-compose-his-next-flick-161806.html

San_K
20th September 2012, 06:00 PM
One of the thoughts that came up while watching the show was how do the numbers work for such a show :roll:

Getting 50 EU musicians to Chennai for a show - the mere travel / stay and such mundane stuff could easily cost around $100K...add another $100K for their professional fees, other expenses (venue / Mano recording etc) - even if one considers the NEPV crew themselves didn't charge any and the local celebrities too offered to be on the show free of cost - the cost of such a show could easily touch Rs 1 cr ($200K).

Per SKV's estimate, there was a crowd of 3K or so and the tickets couldn't have covered more than 30-40% of that expenses.

Are the rest all by TV rights? Sponsors? How does even Gautam talk about donating money to charity from the proceeds?

:confused:

TV rights is way bigger than any other income for this type of programmes. Even a mokkka 'kail nigazhi' can get 1 Cr. Personnally I know kalaignar TV paid nearly 1.5+ cr for Yuvan's first live concert (dubai). It is noted that his dubai concert is not successful as his second one held at Chennai.

San_K
20th September 2012, 06:08 PM
seating is 4 sides and one side completely abandoned for the sake of brammaandamaana Stage. This is the case for almost all events incl the recent MSV function. (But for Kamal-50 all 4 sided were used)

So u can reduce 1250 safely, add some 1K at both corners and ~ 3K

Nehru Indoor status is for Tennis. right? Then, what about the crowd sat inside the court? .

app_engine
20th September 2012, 08:03 PM
TV rights is way bigger than any other income for this type of programmes.

Me too think so:-)

I'm sorry for raising that query yesterday without watching the whole program.

It was towards the end that Gautam says 'money from tickets' goes to charity.

So, it's very clear that the expenses for the event got funded otherwise (by movie producer / TV rights / sponsors). Just the revenue from entry tickets / passes went to charity :-)

rooky
20th September 2012, 08:36 PM
Nehru indoor stadium is not meant for tennis. This indoor stadium was built for the SAF games 1995 and is meant for games like Table tennis, Basketball, Volleyball, etc.. (same purpose as for any indoor stadium)

writeface
20th September 2012, 11:38 PM
Watched the entire program via Yupp TV. I really liked RK Selvamani's speech. Instead of going overboard with empty praise he was frank (respectfully) about the reality of working with IR.

I am glad Gautham took the effort in organizing this event. It is unimaginable and a long time dream come true. As someone mentioned the facial expressions of musicians reflected their joy in performing in IR's music.

Loved the bit when Sivamani joined in during the aasai nooru vagai.

IR mentioned in the end that the conductor Nick had to recreate the notes for the orchestra. What happened to the original notes IR wrote for the orchestra? I must have missed something.

Gokul

irir123
20th September 2012, 11:47 PM
three ppl in TFM who benefitted the most / maximum from IR during the 1980s were absent at the NEPV music launch function:

1. Mike 'kokila' Mohan - without IR's music, he would have still been a bank employee !

2. Ramarajan - without IR's music, his films wud have felt like dubbed/dumbed up versions of other language films.

3. Kovai Thambi - one producer whose sole source of success was IR !

there were others who shd have been there to speak abt their association with IR - Panju Arunachalam, Mani Rathnam (GVM's mentor isnt he ?), Sangili Murugan, Manivannan etc..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2012, 12:20 AM
irir, it was already packed. And also this is not the last function for IR.

Above all, even tho the likes of mike mohan, ramarajan etc benefitted immensely becos of Raja, they know nothing about music. If they speak, it will be pure crap! Better save the headache!