PDA

View Full Version : Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

thumburu
5th September 2012, 02:03 PM
:confused:

moththam ettuppAttunga :-)

ellAm kEtta piRagu pick paNNunga :-)

Adhu SKVkke veLicham :)
SKV, enga andha micham 4? N OT worthy nnu neengalae filter paNNitaeLa?

raghavendran
5th September 2012, 02:10 PM
Raaja songs ellam ippodhan oru 2-3 yrs non stopa kekuren..yellathukkum oru tayam,age varanumla :)

this album is something nga..

musically i am not educated...its all about feel and connecting with the soul for me..this hits the dart right at the centre...truely amazing..

Vanam mella--loves song..ennanamo seyuthu...listening to it with eyes closed..:anandhakaneer:

Saaindu saaindu-another blissful song.got used to yuvan's singing...heaven when it reaches....Kaalam Vanthu Vanthu Kolamidum..

Kaatrai konjam-this is like a flow of a river..the connection from ennai pattri ketka sonnenen yen kaadhal nalama edru Kaatrai konjam nirkka sonnen is just :bow:

Yennodu vava-melodious..liked the charanams very much..

Mudhal Murial-this hit me in the face,even when the orchestra performed in the event....Neethane hook..goosebumps

Pudikala Maamu-what a beginning this has..a let down a bit when the second part begins..but picks up when the beats begin..foot tapping song..surprised to see negative comments to this

Pengal Yendral-typical for yuvan..amazing feel in the stereo..

Satru Munbu-seems like a visual song..amazingly backed by heavy orchestra..need more listenings..

defenitely not an album just for the season..it is,will be a cult..GVM :clap: for working with Raaja

ajithfederer
5th September 2012, 02:14 PM
Wrong place :)

thumburu
5th September 2012, 02:15 PM
vaangO thumburu, vaangO. unga reviewku naan kaathundrindhEn! Pleasant surprise that the album has worked for you too! (I still think plum's gonna take a hell lotta time to 'warmup' to this one!)
mudhal murai 1st interlude solo violin kEttEla? You're gonna lap up this one, I bet my buck!

KV, "Mudhal murai" is so very unIRish and I need time to come to terms with this bolt in the blue.
I have a disturbing thought crossing me when I hear "mudhal murai".
Iam definite about IR only possible songs like
(SAindhu SAindhu, Kaatrai konjam) IMPOSSIBLE BY (Imaan,DSP,HJ,GVP,VS,Yuvan,ARR,KR) in that order.
But "mudhal murai" ? I would have accepted if some one said a GV Pragaasam did it. Correct me please.

"Ennodu vaa vaa" didn't move an inch up further from teaser times :(

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 03:16 PM
I almost thought of giving up on writing on 'Saindhu Saindhu' after V_S's lovely exposition but anyway went ahead and posted my views:

http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/saindhu-saindhu-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.sasariri.com/2012/09/blog-post_5.html

ராஜாவின் தபேலா சத்தத்தை எதிர்பார்த்து எந்தப்பாடலிலும் காணாமல் ஏமாந்தேன். எல்லாப் பாடல்களும் மாடர்ன் ட்யூனில் ஒலிக்கின்றன.

இன்றைய பாடல்களில் இருந்து எந்த வகையில் நீஎபொவ வித்யாசம் காட்டுகிறது? ஒன்லி ஒன் சிம்பிள் திங். பாடல்களை முழுக்க முழுக்க ஆர்க்கெஸ்ட்ராவை கொண்டே சமைத்திருக்கிறார் ராஜா . கம்ப்யூட்டரின் துணை அங்கங்கே ஒப்பேற்றல்களுக்குத்தான் பயன்பட்டிருக்கிறது.

நீதானே என் பொன் வசந்தம் நல்ல இசை ரசிகர்களுக்கு ஒரு “கெத்து” ட்ரீட், சந்தேகமேயில்லை.

KV
5th September 2012, 03:39 PM
KV, "Mudhal murai" is so very unIRish and I need time to come to terms with this bolt in the blue.
I have a disturbing thought crossing me when I hear "mudhal murai".
Iam definite about IR only possible songs like
(SAindhu SAindhu, Kaatrai konjam) IMPOSSIBLE BY (Imaan,DSP,HJ,GVP,VS,Yuvan,ARR,KR) in that order.
But "mudhal murai" ? I would have accepted if some one said a GV Pragaasam did it. Correct me please.

"Ennodu vaa vaa" didn't move an inch up further from teaser times :(

Thumburu, this is precisely the reason why I think this soundtrack is such a colossal one - the mind-boggling variety.

The first time I listened to the whole album, my mind automatically 'selected' saindhu, kaatrai konjam, ennOdu va, vaanam mella and pudikkala maam, for these immediately had a 'frequency match' with the theevira IR rasigan in me.

The other 3 songs - mudhal murai, pengal endraal, satru munbu - left me scratching my head as I couldn't 'connect' to these. "Now, what is IR trying to do here? Where is 'my Raaja' or 'the-Raaja-I-know' in these songs?" I asked myself. The singing felt 'alien' within the 'Raaja territory', thanks to the heavy anglicized style (which one can safely generalize as a trademark of sorts of any contemporary melody). The tuning and structuring of these songs too felt quite unfamiliar. My immediate response was the similar to yours – “Can’t arr/gvp/harris/thaman/joshua/ysr do something like this? Why is Raaja even ‘required’ for these songs?”.

Then, after some more listening and ‘building acquaintance’ with them, the ideas appear to start taking shape. Yes, this is very much ‘contemporary’ in musical style, but it doesn’t end there. Raaja elevates these songs through his authority over orchestration, incorporating a score, which in my books, nobody other than him can possibly conceive. It’s like Raaja saying to the younger MDs “yeah, this is what you guys do, right? Now let me show you my way of doing the same.” For Raaja, this might simply be another step in his constant evolution as a composer (though personally I see it as a ‘leap’!). Although there is absolutely no ‘necessity’ for him to ‘answer’ anyone criticizing him as ‘out-dated/can’t keep up with trends’, the very urge and ability to re-invent and re-construct himself as a composer, automatically becomes a ‘response’ of sorts to the skeptics. Yes, Raaja old-timers like some of us here will take time to warm-up to this and accept the fact that Raaja is (either deliberately or unintentionally) wearing the hat of a contemporary composer (which, by the way, is imperative here because of the film, its maker and the target audience – the youth crowd). But, importantly, in doing this, Raaja has not killed the ‘classic’ composer in him, which is why we still have songs like kaatrai konjam and vaanam mella or saidhu saidhu. The end result is this mammoth of an album, one half of which is vintage Raaja and the other, a very atypical Raaja (like I'd said earlier - covering all bases).

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 03:49 PM
KV
Disagreement on Satru Munbu. The tune is Raaja, especially the charan.

groucho070
5th September 2012, 03:55 PM
The western (blues-O, soul-O, etho oru inspirationla ivayngga pAdikkitirukkAngga) styled singing makes the experience a bit "whoa, this is Raja?"-ish. For me, at first listening. Then, I totally ignored the vocal and it sits in well, very well.

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 03:58 PM
Then, I totally ignored the vocal and it sits in well, very well.
:shock: What??? The vocal/tune is an integral part and almost equal partner in the song's success

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 03:59 PM
Raghavendran
Very happy to read your post and reaction :)

KV
5th September 2012, 04:00 PM
KV
Disagreement on Satru Munbu. The tune is Raaja, especially the charan.

Innum konjam vilakkunga, Bala, any specific characteristics? Me still thinks this song is kinda un-IRish.

groucho070
5th September 2012, 04:02 PM
:shock: What??? The vocal/tune is an integral part and almost equal partner in the song's successantha singing style-a sonnen. First listening, vocal a bit hard on my ears, my reaction, "pleasant". Second listening onwards, ignore vocal quality and it became "awesomified". But I got no problem with the vocals now, as in I accept it because its surrounded by total awesomeness that they too ....like poovodu naaru thingy.

I guess I missed the word, "quality" in that post. Thousand apologies.

groucho070
5th September 2012, 04:03 PM
un-IRish.I am getting a mental picture of him in a pub downing a stout.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 04:11 PM
முந்தாநாள் வரைக்கும் முக்குல நின்னுட்டு, முனகினா கூட நியூஸ் போட்ட தட்ஸ்தமிழ் காரன், இப்ப பாட்டே ரிலீஸ் ஆகி பட்டைய கிளப்பும்போது படு சைலென்ட்! எந்த இணையதள, ப்ரிண்டி மீடியாவிலும் இந்த படத்தின் இசை பற்றி செய்தி வந்ததாக தெரியவில்லை. யாரு என்ன சூனியம் வெச்சாங்க?!?

ராஜா, கமல் போன்ற பெருங்கலைஞர்கள் பெற்றுவந்த வரம் இது

KV
5th September 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm still eagerly waiting for GVM to release the 'demo' versions sung by Raaja. That should be something special.

That apart, I was trying to think of some of the other singers who could've featured in the album:
saindhu - sriram parthsarth/vijay prakash and shreya
mudhal murai - :roll: shreya? usha uthup?
vaanam mella - shreya/swetha mohan
pengal endral - vijay prakash
satru munbu - shreya/chitra

('arandavan kannukku kandadhu ellaam pEi' maadhiri, I see shreya everywhere :oops:)

San_K
5th September 2012, 04:21 PM
nallaa paaruga SKV, they have come up with an article. Or you want a review from them? oru mannum vendam, avanunga Jaganmohinikku potta reviewve 100 varusathukku pothum

raghavendran
5th September 2012, 04:23 PM
Raghavendran
Very happy to read your post and reaction :):ty: Bala

Gregorysab
5th September 2012, 04:26 PM
Thumburu, this is precisely the reason why I think this soundtrack is such a colossal one - the mind-boggling variety.

The first time I listened to the whole album, my mind automatically 'selected' saindhu, kaatrai konjam, ennOdu va, vaanam mella and pudikkala maam, for these immediately had a 'frequency match' with the theevira IR rasigan in me.

The other 3 songs - mudhal murai, pengal endraal, satru munbu - left me scratching my head as I couldn't 'connect' to these. "Now, what is IR trying to do here? Where is 'my Raaja' or 'the-Raaja-I-know' in these songs?" I asked myself. The singing felt 'alien' within the 'Raaja territory', thanks to the heavy anglicized style (which one can safely generalize as a trademark of sorts of any contemporary melody). The tuning and structuring of these songs too felt quite unfamiliar. My immediate response was the similar to yours – “Can’t arr/gvp/harris/thaman/joshua/ysr do something like this? Why is Raaja even ‘required’ for these songs?”.

Then, after some more listening and ‘building acquaintance’ with them, the ideas appear to start taking shape. Yes, this is very much ‘contemporary’ in musical style, but it doesn’t end there. Raaja elevates these songs through his authority over orchestration, incorporating a score, which in my books, nobody other than him can possibly conceive. It’s like Raaja saying to the younger MDs “yeah, this is what you guys do, right? Now let me show you my way of doing the same.” For Raaja, this might simply be another step in his constant evolution as a composer (though personally I see it as a ‘leap’!). Although there is absolutely no ‘necessity’ for him to ‘answer’ anyone criticizing him as ‘out-dated/can’t keep up with trends’, the very urge and ability to re-invent and re-construct himself as a composer, automatically becomes a ‘response’ of sorts to the skeptics. Yes, Raaja old-timers like some of us here will take time to warm-up to this and accept the fact that Raaja is (either deliberately or unintentionally) wearing the hat of a contemporary composer (which, by the way, is imperative here because of the film, its maker and the target audience – the youth crowd). But, importantly, in doing this, Raaja has not killed the ‘classic’ composer in him, which is why we still have songs like kaatrai konjam and vaanam mella or saidhu saidhu. The end result is this mammoth of an album, one half of which is vintage Raaja and the other, a very atypical Raaja (like I'd said earlier - covering all bases).

You have exactly highlighted my take on the philosophy Raaja incorporated in this album. In my review, for these very specific songs, I wrote:

1. Mudhal murai: The tune sounds more international to me.
2. Satru Munbu: An operatic melody, this is another surprise that Ilaiyaraaja throws at us.
3. Pengal endraal: Another non-typical Ilaiyaraaja song. I have never seen him put in this much of into-the-face (metallic) rock quotient in any of his songs and it indeed shows that Ilaiyaraaja is genre agnostic. This song is perhaps Ilaiyaraaja's tribute to Mahavishnu Orchestra and the likes.

I too felt that it is such a eclectic album where he gets to do everything (impress his fans with his 'known and celebrated genius elements' and experiment with new stuff that we did not expect him to - which is something I love about this album). Its easy to fall in love with kaatre konjam, saindhu, vaanam mella and yennodu. Very easy. Though those songs have their own complex arrangements - their hummability quotient is high. But it is these 3 songs that you highlighted above - which actually prove that Raaja defied himself.

raghavendran
5th September 2012, 04:28 PM
how does the Man decide how many instruments he needs for a particualr song..how does he come to a conclusion?..this question was asked my GM in the interview..appodhan thonichu..
idha inga vaasicha magic create agumnu epdi thonudho,for example the beginning music in vaanam mella..in Awe..:bow:

Fliflo
5th September 2012, 04:30 PM
4 days and more than a million hits..:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8PWUgAIiM

SoftSword
5th September 2012, 04:30 PM
mh,
gvm will be using all the songs and would not like to waste any gems...

equanimus,
yethi yethi by itself was delibrate 90s Ir style song attempted by hj... apram enga 'in their own game' ?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 04:38 PM
Saayndhu Saayndhu Composing session Ilaiyaraaja Gautham Yuvan

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H9jy4e9lJ4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H9jy4e9lJ4

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.kollytalk.com/audio-launch/ilayaraja-delivers-big-time-with-neethane-en-ponvasantham/

After a first listen, Vaagai Sood Vaa composer M Ghibran says, “Lived my Childhood period for 42 minutes through 8 songs. Thanks to NEPV and Raja sir. Soaking music!”

Ardent Raja fan Karthik says, “Can’t even count how many instruments Raja has used in all the songs. And everything sounds so nice.”

KV
5th September 2012, 04:53 PM
You have exactly highlighted my take on the philosophy Raaja incorporated in this album. In my review, for these very specific songs, I wrote:

1. Mudhal murai: The tune sounds more international to me.
2. Satru Munbu: An operatic melody, this is another surprise that Ilaiyaraaja throws at us.
3. Pengal endraal: Another non-typical Ilaiyaraaja song. I have never seen him put in this much of into-the-face (metallic) rock quotient in any of his songs and it indeed shows that Ilaiyaraaja is genre agnostic. This song is perhaps Ilaiyaraaja's tribute to Mahavishnu Orchestra and the likes.

I too felt that it is such a eclectic album where he gets to do everything (impress his fans with his 'known and celebrated genius elements' and experiment with new stuff that we did not expect him to - which is something I love about this album). Its easy to fall in love with kaatre konjam, saindhu, vaanam mella and yennodu. Very easy. Though those songs have their own complex arrangements - their hummability quotient is high. But it is these 3 songs that you highlighted above - which actually prove that Raaja defied himself.

:thumbsup: aakarsh.
If one were to recall the 'speculation' phase after Raaja was declared MD for this film, there was this rant doing rounds that bits of jazz and WCM is all that he can do and that people had had enough of it already. Now, with the audio out, we know who has had the last laugh! Rock, pop, jazz, wcm, kuththu.. that too pudhu style, pudhu singers... raajaa.. besh besh!

KV
5th September 2012, 04:55 PM
sahala, nandri, aana no access to the video at the moment. Is this from the Aug15th TV show or is it something new?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 05:02 PM
KV, no! this was actually aired during the Audio Launch, b4 Saaindhu x2 is played. Gifted are we! Wait till Telecast :D

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 05:05 PM
Innum konjam vilakkunga, Bala, any specific characteristics? Me still thinks this song is kinda un-IRish.
Self correction: I have to rephrase my earlier sentence. It's not "especially the charan", rather it should be (only) "The charan".
Agree that it seems 'new', and radical. However it does not sound like any other contemporary number/composer.

The take off from "Vaangi pona en idhayathin nilamai enna da" the haunting way she sings "da" with a glide downwards and "Thaangi pidikka un tholgal illaye" ("thaangi" la oru glide, and the helpless/pleading effect). The whole melancholic longing (even spooky/haunting) feel in the tune is so Raaja, isn't it? Which is why Raaja has mentioned "devadhai ilam" to GVM after he composed this song

The operatic orchestration has his signs, doesn't it? As Nerd mentioned, mild Polla Vinaiyen feel towards the end

The pallavi and the singing at a couple of places is not typical IR, agreed

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 05:06 PM
nallaa paaruga SKV, they have come up with an article. Or you want a review from them? oru mannum vendam, avanunga Jaganmohinikku potta reviewve 100 varusathukku pothum

See, the sites where masses visit, they shud put an article, which is enuf(audio making waves...) all that site can do is act as a link so that the visitors who are into other work, not accesing twitter/facebook etc can get interested and grab the audio. Thats ALL i expect from any online/offline/both Media.

See what idlebrain has did! This is not even Telugu movie launch. Just for Tanil version, and that too for an article intended to only post the images, see the short writeup they give :notworthy: :clap:

http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/concert-ilayaraja2012.html

The latest concert of Ilayaraja was held at Jawaharlala Nehru Indoor Stadium in Chennai on 2 September. This concert also featured music launch of Ilayaraja’s latest film Yeto Vellipoyindi Manasu (Nani & Samantha) and Neethane En Ponvasantham (Jiiva & Samantha). Maestro Ilayaraja was given a standing ovation by the crowds when he was invited on stage. Ilayaraja prefers his Harmonium on stage and it was reported bought for Rs. 85/-. Hungarian National Philharmonic orchestra has performed for this Ilayaraja’s concert.

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 05:12 PM
SKV,

Everyone keeps saying Hungarian orchestra but I think it is a London orchestra. Only around 4 guys are the regular Hungarians for Raja. Atilla, the drummer and couple of others isnt it?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=413577695358663&set=a.154975487885553.24933.100001193075690&type=1

ஒரு நீண்ட இடைவெளிக்குப்பின் இசைஞானிக்கு ஒரு City Lifestyleன் பின்னணியில் நிகழும் Youthful ஆன கதைக்களம் அமைந்திருக்கிறது. அதற்கு என்ன தேவையோ, அதை சிறப்பாகவே கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். அதிமுக்கியமாய் இயந்திரக்கலவை இல்லாத சுத்தமான பாடல்களைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். உதாரணமாக ஒரு பாடலைச் சொல்லவேண்டுமென்றால், ‘சற்றுமுன்பு’ பாடலில், எந்த ஒரு சாதாரண Keyboardன் Rhythm Folderல் இருந்தும் கொண்டுவந்துவிட்டிருக்கக் கூடிய சர்வசாதாரணமான ஒரு Rhythm Pattern’ஐ Manual Drumsல் இருந்து கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். இதுபோன்ற வித்தியாசங்கள் / நுணுக்கங்கள் மிகுந்த முயற்சி எடுக்காமலேயே, செவிகளில் சுகமாய் கேட்கிறது.

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 05:22 PM
"Saaindhu saaindhu", charanam, singing is atypical of IR. The feel, chords, the pace, the whole freakin mood is radical for the entire industry. I've never heard anything like this before. Indha madhiri oru 'close' louu song remba pudhusu, unusual. Penn-a maari compose panna madhiri irukku :oops: Of course, the male psyche will repel against mushy stuff, but idhu oru surreal feel kudukkudhu. After the charanam, when the pallavi starts, and the chords (low notes, slow)

And here is the thing, for all the Yuvan-bashing i(we) did - i still haven't listened to the Telugu version (only opening 2-3 lines) but from whatever LITTLE i listened to, it's a different song in Telugu. The mood didn't feel quite right [Oru nerdy geeky thayir saadham ushaaring a model figure effect]
Something Equa also posted in twitter. Shaan 'correct'-a paadraar but then that becomes a different song. Or i should have listened to the Telugu version first. If only Yuvan had got the basics right....

kid-glove
5th September 2012, 05:22 PM
Hey KG, songs ruin Indian films right? :P :poke:

KV
5th September 2012, 05:30 PM
Self correction: I have to rephrase my earlier sentence. It's not "especially the charan", rather it should be (only) "The charan".
Agree that it seems 'new', and radical. However it does not sound like any other contemporary number/composer.

The take off from "Vaangi pona en idhayathin nilamai enna da" the haunting way she sings "da" with a glide downwards and "Thaangi pidikka un tholgal illaye" ("thaangi" la oru glide, and the helpless/pleading effect). The whole melancholic longing (even spooky/haunting) feel in the tune is so Raaja, isn't it? Which is why Raaja has mentioned "devadhai ilam" to GVM after he composed this song

The operatic orchestration has his signs, doesn't it? As Nerd mentioned, mild Polla Vinaiyen feel towards the end

The pallavi and the singing at a couple of places is not typical IR, agreed

Oh yeah, the glides are all patented Raaja IP, especially the 'thaangi pidikka' phrase, which is oh-so-beautiful.
Anyway, like I'd said earlier, I haven't 'embraced' this one and mudhal murai fully yet, and I'll blame my in-built voice filter for it. I'm able to appreciate the musicality in them but still got a slight apprehension in accepting it as 'ours'. The bond's growing; I'll get there in sometime.

rooky
5th September 2012, 05:34 PM
NEPV making waves in the public is more heartening and to see the biased sites marking this album as HIT is good news (when was the last time, we heard anything like this). Now, sify,behindwoods, indiaglitz and likes are alll appreciating the album and sales and not seen any negatives about the album yet..BTW, i got my physical CD today

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/85737.html

Nerd
5th September 2012, 05:34 PM
(I dare say Raaja does just about a Harris Jeyaraj) despite some neat guitar work.
:shock: Outrageous'nga. The prelude and the 1st interlude, heavy strumming / electric guitars / jaws(?) drums (almost invoking Mumbai Xpress for me), karris 1500 jenmam eduththaalum mudiyaadhu. But the tune / melody (just the first half) harris enna g v pragaas kooda seyyalaam.

Anyway like you mentioned the 2nd half is superb. Karthik's best work in the entire album. And a 70 year old with a 20 year old's enthusiasm.

KV
5th September 2012, 05:38 PM
"Saaindhu saaindhu", charanam, singing is atypical of IR. The feel, chords, the pace, the whole freakin mood is radical for the entire industry. I've never heard anything like this before. Indha madhiri oru 'close' louu song remba pudhusu, unusual. Penn-a maari compose panna madhiri irukku :oops: Of course, the male psyche will repel against mushy stuff, but idhu oru surreal feel kudukkudhu. After the charanam, when the pallavi starts, and the chords (low notes, slow)

And here is the thing, for all the Yuvan-bashing i(we) did - i still haven't listened to the Telugu version (only opening 2-3 lines) but from whatever LITTLE i listened to, it's a different song in Telugu. The mood didn't feel quite right [Oru nerdy geeky thayir saadham ushaaring a model figure effect]
Something Equa also posted in twitter. Shaan 'correct'-a paadraar but then that becomes a different song. Or i should have listened to the Telugu version first. If only Yuvan had got the basics right....

:lol:

Welcome to the saindhu-dhaan-top-pick club! (I'm assuming you are indeed signing up with this post!)
Yes, Shaan, though he hits the notes better, does lose out to yuvan on the 'feel' aspect; the latter's lazy singing suits the song quite well (only to be screwed up here and there by his technically abachaaram range skills).

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the saindhu-dhaan-top-pick club! (I'm assuming you are indeed signing up with this post!)

Ore conpees :oops:
"Saaindhu saaindhu", "Kaatrai Konjam", "Sarru Munbu"

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 05:45 PM
Ramya, what a find/choice :clap:

Vaanam ellaam should have been DK2 Shreya. Period

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 05:50 PM
Someone here mention about the drumming throughout the album. It is top notch and so much clarity in the drumming. If Raja himself is impressed, that fellow has to be on 'appa tucker' only no? (The thread is growing so fast that when I want to quote someone it takes quite a while to search. So whoever spoke about drumming, please stand up :D )

KV
5th September 2012, 05:50 PM
Hey KG, songs ruin Indian films right? :P :poke:

Alright, so UKG doesn't want to indulge in this 'musical' drivel; pity the poor feller.
Now give us a piece of LKG. This guy, I think, digs MGR songs and WCM; strange I tell you.

app_engine
5th September 2012, 05:53 PM
Adhu SKVkke veLicham :)
SKV, enga andha micham 4? N OT worthy nnu neengalae filter paNNitaeLa?

Here is Sony India's all-in-one youtube, for enthusiasts like you (seekkiram ellAm kEttuttu oru long post pOdunga):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yIuFL8nQoRY

kid-glove
5th September 2012, 05:55 PM
KG will find a way to praise Ilaiyaraja. With all technicalities. He'll come out with eulogies. But remember this man says that songs ruin films and the industry by letting talentless conmen become successful filmmakers. Someone has to sweep under the rug.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 06:02 PM
SKV,

Everyone keeps saying Hungarian orchestra but I think it is a London orchestra. Only around 4 guys are the regular Hungarians for Raja. Atilla, the drummer and couple of others isnt it?

I guess only the conductor Nick was the only person from Angel Studios, London and and the whole rest of others are from Budapest, Hungary only! Angel Studios guys or the ones they recommend shud be a costly thing to fly down and pay for the performance. Budapest have been much cheaper and thatswhy Raja even did Hey Raam and Mumbai Express there! So even now, flying them down and paying shud be considerably low

k_vanan
5th September 2012, 06:02 PM
2 days listening this amazing album still can't move to other album...there something special in every songs.

Awesome work by Raja sir & GVM ..... :bow:

Muthal murai...satru munbu....Ennodu va va.....katrai koncham....Saaindhu Saaindhu :2thumbsup:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 06:05 PM
Someone here mention about the drumming throughout the album. It is top notch and so much clarity in the drumming. If Raja himself is impressed, that fellow has to be on 'appa tucker' only no? (The thread is growing so fast that when I want to quote someone it takes quite a while to search. So whoever spoke about drumming, please stand up :D )

R u saying this?

‘சற்றுமுன்பு’ பாடலில், எந்த ஒரு சாதாரண Keyboardன் Rhythm Folderல் இருந்தும் கொண்டுவந்துவிட்டிருக்கக் கூடிய சர்வசாதாரணமான ஒரு Rhythm Pattern’ஐ Manual Drumsல் இருந்து கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்.

venkkiram
5th September 2012, 06:32 PM
Pudikkala maanu- folk portion. It looks like IR reused some structure which he compsed and demostrated in one of funtion on "how in our culture music flows through all parts of our life". He knitted the folk from youth part of that composition into this pudikkala maamu very well.

Sunil_M88
5th September 2012, 06:41 PM
Each song deserves its own thread lol

Vinodkumar
5th September 2012, 06:42 PM
I still think an instrumental version (vocals replaced with violin/sax/flute) will be outstanding than the current version. The best thing Raaja did was to use Frenec Nemeth. Awesome drum work ! They both have respect for each other and that can be heard very well in the album. The placement of mic's on the drum is the reason for the clarity of all parts of the drums (snare, rim click, toms and cymbals) that can be heard in all of the songs.....

San_K
5th September 2012, 06:58 PM
Each song deserves its own thread lol

:)

Even in 'review' point of view this is a milestone album. Everybody coming with a full length song review rather than album review. Suresh65, V_S, Baradhwaj rangan, and milliblog karthik (to some extent for ennodu vaa vaa alone :lol:). who is next?

popeye11
5th September 2012, 06:58 PM
thumburu :But "mudhal murai" ? I would have accepted if some one said a GV Pragaasam did it. Correct me please

I beg to differ. IMHO its a Sin to even dream that GV Douche Kumar is capable of composing a track like this. THIS HAS RAJA STAMP WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

Sunil_M88
5th September 2012, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=San_K;947205]:)

Even in 'review' point of view this is a milestone album. Everybody coming with a full length song review rather than album review.[QUOTE]

That's because each song is an album in itself

MusicIsLife
5th September 2012, 07:14 PM
Nerd , App_E - did you guys buy this album from iTunes? I have been trying and it keeps failing.

I did today after listening to Youtube versions.. & did work.

kid-glove
5th September 2012, 07:20 PM
KG

a) I'm not deriding meesicals at all(!)

b) I'm only against it because it had helped grow many crass/crap filmmakers, who all owe their careers to Raaja.

c) I don't think Gautham belongs to this group. He's definitely not that bad, but he does depend a LOT on songs. Seeing the song output over the years with MANY composers however seems to suggest that he is very organically linked to songs at some level. Now that kind of ordeal is extremely fine with me.

d) But even if I'm against this, this shouldn't exempt me from appreciating songs in isolation.

e) Even actor-filmmaker like Kamal have expressed this sentiment, despite being Raaja's biggest colloborator over the years. That even he couldn't get rid of songs completely, and had to indulge in it, in a compromised way, is saddening. Of course.

KV
5th September 2012, 07:23 PM
I still think an instrumental version (vocals replaced with violin/sax/flute) will be outstanding than the current version. The best thing Raaja did was to use Frenec Nemeth. Awesome drum work ! They both have respect for each other and that can be heard very well in the album. The placement of mic's on the drum is the reason for the clarity of all parts of the drums (snare, rim click, toms and cymbals) that can be heard in all of the songs.....

:exactly: even the melodies have lovely drum work, and what a significant difference it makes to the listening experience.
Like I've been koovifying always, cyanide-death to synth beats! Acoustic drums/percussion vaazhga! :yes:

Fliflo
5th September 2012, 07:27 PM
Telugu theatrical trailer has been released y'day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMCb4_Sfz6w&feature=relmfu

KV
5th September 2012, 07:37 PM
Similar to what Suresh had posted on drumming, someone here had asked about usage of flutes in this album, but I can't recall who (and I'm too lazy to flip through the pages, sorry!). From whatever I've heard so far:
1) The whole of vaanam mella is punctuated with beautiful flute runs.
2) There's some lovely flute work in both the interludes of kaatrai konjam (though they aren't lengthy passages).
3) Satru munbu has flutes in the background orchestration (though it doesn't quite stand-out) and in the interludes.

app_engine
5th September 2012, 07:46 PM
So whoever spoke about drumming, please stand up

vERa yArellAm pEsi irukkAngannu therla...but nAn at least oru posttil slAkiththirukkEn :-)

(I think when boasting about the "Bose"...also posting about mudhal muRai song...ada,ada enna oru adi! I'm goosebumpified at the way the interlude ends with drums, to lead into saraNam).

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 07:48 PM
From a Source:-

30000+ sold.
second lot in making!
Gold CD is closer!
total ACD sales value till now: Rs. 29,70,000
New records created!

:clap:

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 07:56 PM
As I begin writing this - the fingers tremble at the keyboard..
There is a unsettling feeling that this all might be just a dream and such a thing as "NEPV" has never happened.
OK.. let me narrate the silly story of a kid who found NEPV album in iTunes.
After downloading it , he went on to connect the sound bar and pair it with his iphone and played the songs on shuffle.
The first song that played was the 80's pop reunion rejoinder 'Ennodu vaa vaa endru' . Something was wrong - Karthik's voice
was not very clear and the kid was worried now - really... work and other chores intervened and the kid had no time to correct the sound settings, or so
he thought.. Then the day got over and the night was spent mostly dreaming about listening to this world conquering album from his idol.
The next day dawned and the kid got ready to rush to the car and play it there. The shuffle hesitated for a while and then
yuvan 'shaker' raaja started singing in 'God knows what pitch' 'Pengal Endraal' - the car was being automatically navigated through
the 'fastest route' but the song was even faster than that - This evil twin of emotional athyachar rock version - goes uber high on rock..
Lyrics - muthukumar - some oft repeated similes and metaphors - but work well within the framework of a guy burnt by playing with love...
particularly 'anbaal seidha aayudhangaL' - Really? Awesome...so the kid had no recourse but to avoid the highway that would have gotten him to the
destination in 10 mins to a local route and 'pengaL endraal' in repeat mode... Then as the destination neared, the kid let go of the rewind button to hear the same song repeat again???? no it was the female version - and Sunidhi chauhan got the billy goat gruff by its neck and belted sixers off yorker length deliveries...
and "Nee dhaaane en pon vasandham' - again .. Really? Awesome - Rock Raaja Rocks and how? he puts on the professorial cloak and teaches kids on block on
how to create the perfect rock love ballad... - the high point in instrumentation of "pengal Endraal" was the way minor chords of piano were resonated with elec guitar to produce a new sound that thumps the chest in bass... Freaking awesome songs these two -

Now the kid has a full day and headphones - provided no one is interrupting - he is gonna be lost in this candy land of awesome songs... for a while..

PS: the rock guitar strumming in the 'poyya poi dhaana' - DARK STUFF.... EVIL GUY THIS ILAIYARAAJA...

Fliflo
5th September 2012, 07:58 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/85737.html

He further added that the audio released by Sony are sold out in the market. Even before its release, over one lakh CDs were booked in advance.

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 08:08 PM
1st charanam of "Pudikkala maame" - there's some Van Halenesque keyboard work (not a big fan of VH adhu vera vishayam).
Second half IS a RIOT :musicsmile:

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 08:19 PM
aiyyooo pudikkala maamu second half song - beats the first half - peter rock hands down -
Raasa saying 'veedhi pathaadhe' - is apt.... The playful sax has me in spllits...
kichu kichu nemba mootraar yuvar aanar.

equanimus
5th September 2012, 08:21 PM
:shock: Outrageous'nga. The prelude and the 1st interlude, heavy strumming / electric guitars / jaws(?) drums (almost invoking Mumbai Xpress for me), karris 1500 jenmam eduththaalum mudiyaadhu. But the tune / melody (just the first half) harris enna g v pragaas kooda seyyalaam.Which (the part highlighted in bold) is exactly why I said that. Guitar work neat-nu dhAn sollittEnE. The thing is it doesn't overarch the whole song, organically add to or become the soundscape of the whole piece. The guitar in the first interlude operates more or less isolated, no? I don't think the same can be said of the Mumbai Xpress songs you're referring to. I might be off the mark, of course. #nowlistening

equanimus
5th September 2012, 08:24 PM
aiyyooo pudikkala maamu second half song - beats the first half - peter rock hands down -
Raasa saying 'veedhi pathaadhe' - is apt.... The playful sax has me in spllits...
kichu kichu nemba mootraar yuvar aanar.Exactly. The second half dhAn pAttunnE kUda solluvEn.

VinodKumar's
5th September 2012, 08:31 PM
My colleague's comment on my take (usual la Raja-thu first timeae pudickum ji aana ithu appdi nallaruka maari therla) on NEPV album ...HC IR fan. Appo appo avar inga irukaarongaro doubt vera enakku varum. Thought of introducing this forum to him but privacy poirum-nu :noteeth:.

ji - neenga NEP pidikkalai-nu sonnadhu manasu romba novudhu ji... please listen a couple of times.. violin, guitar, flute, sax-nu pottu pinni eduthurukkaru... neenga tappunu nalla illa-nu solliteenga...

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 08:33 PM
My colleague's comment on my take (usual la Raja-thu first timeae pudickum ji aana ithu appdi nallaruka maari therla) on NEPV album ...HC IR fan. Appo appo avar inga irukaarongaro doubt vera enakku varum. Thought of introducing this forum to him but privacy poirum-nu :noteeth:.

ji - neenga NEP pidikkalai-nu sonnadhu manasu romba novudhu ji... please listen a couple of times.. violin, guitar, flute, sax-nu pottu pinni eduthurukkaru... neenga tappunu nalla illa-nu solliteenga...

Glad to hear-nga

V_S
5th September 2012, 08:41 PM
jai, dhool, really loved your way of narration. :clap:

Very well said! I have a slightly different take on Mudhal Murai and being non-IR'ish. The best part is he acheived this 'contemporariness' using the real instruments and big orchestra, and not using synth. There lies the biggest difference between him and others. Most young composers think using real instruments are outdated while Maestro clearly giving lessons to them how they are valuable even now and will be forever and they will never be outdated. The outdatedness is in your minds. Only difference I would like to make is he has already achieved this kind of melody and orchestration even with synth in recent Jaganmohini (2009), but it takes NEPV for everyone to take notice of it. Pon maNi thEril, nilavu varum nEram are strong examples of how to be trendy and atypical IR by IR himself.

VinodKumar's
5th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear-nga

Bala, yethum ulkuthu vachi pesuringala :) ?

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 08:46 PM
Bala, yethum ulkuthu vachi pesuringala :) ?
:notthatway: Yenga ippadi kettupteenga!
IR fans thavira matra fans, public ku indha album pudicha it means a lot to me personally :Seriously:

app_engine
5th September 2012, 09:08 PM
Reg this 'atypical' rAsA...

apdi onnu may not exist, because he had always been an 'envelop pusher' IMVHO :-)

What's possibly 'atypical' about NEPV (that is, strictly w.r.t. recent works of rAsA) is the quality of instrumentalists / instruments used in orchestration, thanks to the spending by Gautam.

Historically, that had been the key USP of rAsA. For e.g., in a yAnai-centric movie, he gave that 'nilavu nEram' (sung by PS, annai Or Alayam) -absolutely no connection to any of his prior works / handled genres etc.

Or, take that more popular 'nAnE nAnA' of AUA. Or, compare the odd 'thOLin mElE bAram illE' with the other songs of the same album.

avaru eppavumE appadiththAn, 'atypical' is 'typical' of him :-)

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 09:11 PM
Exactly. The second half dhAn pAttunnE kUda solluvEn.
lyrics - riot dhaane?
theru theruvaaga thoraththudhu knowledge - funny... really funny.

app_engine
5th September 2012, 09:42 PM
groucho blog on NEPV (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2012/09/when-ilayaraja-dusts-his-44.html)

A very rich, layered, complexly composed album boasting great sound and awesome use of guitars, this album is to be cherished for years and should be sent to space in case for possible Alien invasion, so that they will go back in peace listening to it.

:lol2:

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 09:42 PM
Now floating on Vaanam mella for i dont know how many times... the song has the lata mangeshkar - rafi/hemant kumar/mukesh old world charm accompanied by symphonic splendor... - Salilda would be jumping with joy in heaven!!!

V_S
5th September 2012, 09:46 PM
I just listened vaanam mella few times. Wonderful composition, but yEn sir enakku Bela shinde voice and singing sutthamaa pidikkale. It is so thin for my taste. I may go for this one only last. Why can't Raja pair with atleast Sunidhi or Shreya in this masterpiece. May be I have to assume like that when getting into this one. :sad:

Sunil_M88
5th September 2012, 10:04 PM
The haters repeatedly have an issue with Raaja Saab not being modern enough i.e. melody, instrumentation, sound fx, etc. But after NEPV release, I've read posts by these "haters" stating, the new change in style doesn't suit him. #alwayswinning

I am missing the trademark Tabla patches in this album. Any other ethnic percussion apart from Pudikale Maamu, even if it is subtle? :need to invest in some serious noise isolating in ear headphones:

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 10:29 PM
app,

It was VinodKumar who referred to the drumming in detail first I think. The drummer is superb. Met one Raja fan who had come from Chennai and had tea with him. Walked back home for 1.5kms and all I did was listen to ONLY the drumming in 'mudhal murai' throughout the walk, multiple times. As Vinod had said, they have placed the mike perfectly so you can hear every part of the drum perfectly. This is like an album by Cream or LedZeplin. You can just concentrate on one instrument at a time and you will still be very very happy.

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 10:38 PM
Groucho,

Super. Wonderfully written. I have posted the link on twitter as well. I am sure more 80s Raja fans will start listening to his 90s music. Well, you see I am writing a thread on that and use the traffic :lol:

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 10:44 PM
Man yuvan rocks when he says 'Kaadhal varum munnaale kanneer varum pinnaale Ho ho' and then the slow descent into 'enna solli enna seyya' - the guy gets the feel so right and emotes perfectly. In those places the bass guitar is hyper busy murmurring incessantly - need to change the bass and check that one out...

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 10:45 PM
Once again..
Anbil seidha aayudhangal Pennidaththil EraaLam - muthu - nee periya soththu..

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 10:47 PM
Once again..
Anbil seidha aayudhangal Pennidaththil EraaLam - muthu - nee periya soththu..

mudiyalai... Raaja updates 'ennadi meenaatchi' - how - the way it needs to be... nothing stagey about this one - it
comes from the bottom of the belly.. perfect rock song..

thumburu
5th September 2012, 10:54 PM

KV, Fair enough perspective to assuage my mild concern on this "neo wave" IR . I will give "Mudhal murai" song a few more listens . As you say , diversity of this album is making it all the more spicier and touching various people and even for the contemporary, Raja would have added his own lethal "sarakku" borne out of his experience and mastery of his art instead of simply aping the "cool" trends

thumburu
5th September 2012, 11:38 PM
Here is Sony India's all-in-one youtube, for enthusiasts like you (seekkiram ellAm kEttuttu oru long post pOdunga):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yIuFL8nQoRY

Aahaa!! vaazhga a_e avargaLe :)

marnsZet
5th September 2012, 11:45 PM
KV Yeah this was aired on the Independence day!
sahala, nandri, aana no access to the video at the moment. Is this from the Aug15th TV show or is it something new?

writeface
6th September 2012, 12:05 AM
Isn't 'Satru Munbu' a choreographer's dream come true? A slow burning ballet (Natalie Portman from Black Swan, may be?) for this would be a stunning visual accompaniment.

Gokul.

jaiganes
6th September 2012, 12:16 AM
Vaanam mella this whole first half of the day...
Harps Harps and Harps - Raaja has composed some delicate and delectable sections for this beautiful instrument and
probably the first thamizh song with such a delightful harps section - hid Guru (Malayalam) had some soulful harps..
But this totally Detailed and spell binding... true word - no fanboy hype this..

jaiganes
6th September 2012, 12:19 AM
Is it me or is anyone else hearing 'Mounaragam' theme in 'satru munbu' (hidden inside Deva sangeetham from Guru nicely...)

V_S
6th September 2012, 12:21 AM
http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/saindhu-saindhu-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/
Brilliant as usual Suresh ji! :clap: Nicely brought out the night mood in your writing. Good to know similar type of songs especially S D Burman's chand phir nikla and relating it to adadaa. Adadaa! Thanks for linking my post there. DhanyanaanEn! :D Still I have to read your PengaL Endraal write-up.

Thanks Suresh ji, App and writeface for your comments.

V_S
6th September 2012, 12:27 AM
http://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/bitty-ruminations-69/
Thanks sakala. Nicely written by BR, seems to have thoroughly enjoyed. On the contrary, happened to read vijayr's comments and could not hide my laugh when he said about Gummudipundi quartet is sufficient for these songs, amazing depth, understanding and insight, and what a love for music and Raja's songs. So much to learn from him. abaaram! :clap:

rprasad
6th September 2012, 12:38 AM
Satru Munbu is a masterpiece .I am convinced there is no other Indian film song like this before. AS Gokul indicated in the post above its like a slow building Ballet song. But GVM has a real challenge as he frankly admitted in the independence day program, to do justice to this epic composition. Also its refreshing to hear 2 female solos expressing anger/sorrow/pathos unlike the usual male solos which involved indulging in drinks and singing pathos numbers.

San_K
6th September 2012, 12:44 AM
vangayya jai, konjam munnadi vanthirukkka koodathaa. Yuvan-aiyum, Na.mu.vaiyum pirichu menchuttaanga

jaiganes
6th September 2012, 12:48 AM
vangayya jai, konjam munnadi vanthirukkka koodathaa. Yuvan-aiyum, Na.mu.vaiyum pirichu menchuttaanga
ippathaane kaekkurOm.
accessible words naduvil nalla wordsai marachu vechi veLayandrukkaainga - puriyadha payaluvalukku ennatha solla.
They want sangam words but hummable and innum mela poayee 'danceable' song venumaan - idhukku nadula enna varthai irundhaa aaduvaaingalaam?
vidunga saar.

app_engine
6th September 2012, 01:03 AM
namma ALukku pudichchiruchchu!
:bluejump::bluejump::bluejump:

Naan intha vilayattukku varala!! http://s0.wp.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g I love the soundtrack, densely orchestrated yet has a feeling of lightness. When one listens a few times, you start appreciating the intricacies in it…truly mind blowing. Also, I’d prefer the real instruments any day to the synthesized music of say the previous GVM film!! Oops! http://s0.wp.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g

So, Shankar likes another IR album after pazhassi rAjA!

jmahesh
6th September 2012, 02:57 AM
Trailer of gundello godari , looks promising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_2yil9RZCY&feature=related

app_engine
6th September 2012, 03:16 AM
Trailer of gundello godari , looks promising

Wrong thread sir
:-)

baroque
6th September 2012, 07:38 AM
nice, BR chose to write about one of two stunning female solos from NEPV!:thumbsup:
symphonic :musicsmile:

so far IR's 2 offers to singer Karthik & two female solos are my favorites!

THANKS FOR BRINGING THE BLOG POST HERE!

thanks for GUNDELLO GODARI!

Actor Aadhi in retro 80s telgu set-up with Raja pattu not to mention bilingual!:)

Vinodkumar
6th September 2012, 07:44 AM
I ended up listening to the version that has been released by Sony.. For people outside US, they should release them as HighRes format so that we need not wait ages for the CD. More observation on "Satru Munbu". The usage of BASS drum is amazing in this song (listen to the bass drum during the verses "vaangi pona enn idhayathin..." in first part after the interlude and similar bass drum being played in the second part after 2nd interlude). Also the effects they have applied during the mastering when the singer sings "Thannan Thani..." and "Thottu Thottu..", you could hear her voice distinctly (gives you the impression that 2 voices singing them separately) on both channels. The attention to such minute details is just amazing and hats off to Raaja and the mastering engineer.... ( I'm thoroughly enjoying it also from the technical aspect). If the YouTube is enjoyable this much, wondering how good the CD version will be. This song should be listened in a good system and in very little ambient lights. It sure would give you the feeling of listening to a live performance.

marnsZet
6th September 2012, 07:49 AM
http://behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-cinema-articles/Isaignani-has-kicked-up-a-NEP-storm-05-09-12.html. Itharku thane kathirinthom ithanai nallaha.:-D

Shank
6th September 2012, 07:59 AM
App_engine, not sure why you made that comment earlier. Raja na enakku uyir achche.... *confused*....why that comment about what I posted on BR's blog?

Vinodkumar
6th September 2012, 08:04 AM
Also forgot to mention the usage of "mini hats" in "Saindhu Saindhu".. Its hard to explain.. but, I will try.. when Frenec strikes the mini hats, he bring down the top hat after a gap (pardon me.. I'm not a drummer). This is unusual and I have never heard this kind of beat before. Its hard to miss it. I think its played every 8th note?

ajaybaskar
6th September 2012, 08:39 AM
Yov Vinod,

Vijay padam paathu pullarichukittu nallaathaaneyya irundha? Ippo thideernu mini hat'nra, 6th note'nra.. Ennaa man nadakkudhu inga?

venkkiram
6th September 2012, 08:42 AM
Yov Vinod,

Vijay padam paathu pullarichukittu nallaathaaneyya irundha? Ippo thideernu mini hat'nra, 6th note'nra.. Ennaa man nadakkudhu inga?

I think this Vinod is not that Vinod!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 08:44 AM
Here is YVM Music Box!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRa9AQAOHs8

Vinodkumar
6th September 2012, 08:45 AM
"Naan avan illai.." :)) Well.. there is someone with the same name. I hardly watch any movies.. My world is just Raaj's music and nothing else...

V_S
6th September 2012, 08:45 AM
orE conpees pa!

I think this Shank is not that Shankar.

ajaybaskar
6th September 2012, 08:53 AM
Oh. Ok.. That Vinod has a 's suffixed IIRC. Orey kanpeesanappa.. :)

Shank
6th September 2012, 08:54 AM
V_S, this Shank is that Shankar. App_engine's comment seemed to be sarcastic. That's why I was confused as to why he felt that way since I was an ardent Raja fan...there are many who can vouch for that here.

This is just my assumption. Maybe app_engine did not mean it in that way...in that case, case vaapas vangikiren :-)

Bala (Karthik)
6th September 2012, 09:09 AM
Oh. Ok.. That Vinod has a 's suffixed IIRC. Orey kanpeesanappa.. :)
Ippo apostrophe 's' pottu dhaan ID edukkanuma? Idhe conpees la naan indha Vinodkumar ku oru kisu kisu PM anuppitten, a few weeks back, thinking it's Vinod S's id :oops:

Vinodkumar
6th September 2012, 09:17 AM
Ippo apostrophe 's' pottu dhaan ID edukkanuma? Idhe conpees la naan indha Vinodkumar ku oru kisu kisu PM anuppitten, a few weeks back, thinking it's Vinod S's id :oops:

Ah ha.....I thought it was spam and ignored it :) is there a way I can change my ID to avoid further confusion?

senthilv.com
6th September 2012, 09:38 AM
My first look at Saaindhu Saaindhu. Still not sinked in completely:smile:. (Also this is based on mp3 version, not sure how it will vary with CD version).

I am always excited to hear how Maestro finishes the charanam and connects to pallavi. I bet no one can finish like him. Either it gets extended and extended only to stop somewhere abruptly or goes somewhere beyond reach unable to comeback or somehow manages to connect with some vague arrangements. This is one of the best strength of Maestro which is not discussed much. Maestro just needs two bars to reach to pallavi/anupallavi wherever he is coming from. Here he doesn't need that too as he connects to pallavi intelligently with zero bar, yes immediately. See how it is. When Ramya sings 'kaalam vandhu vandhu kOlam idum' it so high and you will never know the next line is actually an indirect connect to pallavi, as the next line is nothing but the anupallavi lines; 'un kaNNai paarthaale'. This is exactly the same as 'viralOdu viral pEsa'. Suddenly he drops from higher pitch to anupallavi lines with amazing ease. If you hum the line, kaalam vandhu vandhu kOlam idum, confidently we can say the next line would also be similar in the higher pitch, but Raja does a big surprise by attaching anu-pallavi tune in the next line which is way off the mark from the earlier line, but how it gets attached successfully is still a puzzle to me.

V_S,

Wonderful breakdown of Saindhu Saindhu. I especially liked your explanation for this saranam connection to Pallavi. It is something I like to watch out. MSV sir, also goes crazy with this saranam-pallavi connection in his songs. Raja has bit more restriction because he is also trying to create a western classical layer on top these saranam-pallavi innovation. In a sense, Raja is trying to have the cake and eat it too! Like you said it is Raja's talent to make this work effectively and aesthetically pleasing.

App_engine,

I read your review. Excellent review. Thanks for giving me some support on Pengal Yendral :)

--Senthil

raghavendran
6th September 2012, 09:40 AM
telugu Saaindu..totally rejected..U1's innocence in the voice and feel completely missed.the way U1 stresses Vizhi odu vizhi pesa Viral odu Viral pesa..chanceless

irir123
6th September 2012, 10:00 AM
is there anyone here who is visiting India and coming back in the next two weeks or so ? if so, please PM me asap

marnsZet
6th September 2012, 11:21 AM
Is it the same song??? Sounds different and new from the tamil version:roll:

telugu Saaindu..totally rejected..U1's innocence in the voice and feel completely missed.the way U1 stresses Vizhi odu vizhi pesa Viral odu Viral pesa..chanceless

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 11:26 AM
Fans of Pudikkala Maamu, he is the singer! Suraj Jagan! Sang 1st part!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=934785&l=264a71d7c5&id=148745718531904

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/406689_367946119945195_1227415953_n.jpg

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 11:30 AM
Ennodu Vaa Vaa Song starts in a Bus. Thus the initial horn/honk sounds!

irir123
6th September 2012, 11:30 AM
adhenna avuru T-shirtla bayangaramaana oru padam ?? aka 'the grateful dead' ??

irir123
6th September 2012, 11:34 AM
intha Jeeva closeupla romba 'dimmaa' theriyaraar, esp contrasting with samantha madam ! konjam, uruppadiya savaramaavadhu pannirukkalaam - those small mudis on his cheek & chin - paavam, samantha pappavukku romba kurukurunnu kuthhirukkumey ? oru vela adhanaalathhaan skin disease vandhu abscond anaangalo ?!

senthilv.com
6th September 2012, 12:35 PM

Haaaa. I see. How did you find it?

Could also explain the reason Raja dropped that type of orchestration in the latter part of the song. It is weird to quote myself but I did wonder why he dropped that horn touch later in the song during my first impression post.

"Great beginning. The way catchy pallavi climaxes is so good. The interludes touches different mood compared to tune. Only guess is, it matches the film situation. The musical touch in the Pallavi is intoxicating, I was expecting that touch throughout the song, but Raja charts a different course and drops that touch when Pallavi repeats. It could be as simple intensifying the song for situational reasons."

I don't think Raja has one random bone in him. Everything has a reason. Even a tiny silence b/w two notes.

Now I'm gonna try making a prediction. Let's see if I get facepalm or highfive ;) In the interludes our hero is probably chasing our heroine or trying to woo her by doing some cutesy lovey-dovey stuff. In the Saranam he goes back his dreamland (although there could be more hero-heroine interaction in the 2nd charanam) Basically the scenes could be intercut between hero in dreamland/dancing around scenes with interacting with heroine in interludes.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 12:58 PM
senthilv.com, The footages of this song was shown! Thus saying! This song's video has mild humor interlaced! Lyrics kettaale theriyum :)

groucho070
6th September 2012, 01:12 PM
Groucho,

Super. Wonderfully written. I have posted the link on twitter as well. I am sure more 80s Raja fans will start listening to his 90s music. Well, you see I am writing a thread on that and use the traffic :lol:Nandri heh. Am following that thread, albeit a bit behind.

MumbaiRamki
6th September 2012, 02:05 PM
intha Jeeva closeupla romba 'dimmaa' theriyaraar, esp contrasting with samantha madam ! konjam, uruppadiya savaramaavadhu pannirukkalaam - those small mudis on his cheek & chin - paavam, samantha pappavukku romba kurukurunnu kuthhirukkumey ? oru vela adhanaalathhaan skin disease vandhu abscond anaangalo ?!

aanaalum lollu jaasti saar ungaluku ....

app_engine
6th September 2012, 05:07 PM
V_S, this Shank is that Shankar. App_engine's comment seemed to be sarcastic. That's why I was confused as to why he felt that way since I was an ardent Raja fan...there are many who can vouch for that here.

This is just my assumption. Maybe app_engine did not mean it in that way...in that case, case vaapas vangikiren :-)

ayyayyO...appO BR blog'la ezhudhinadhu Trichy-B'lore-Motorola-Cisco Shankar illaiyA?
:oops:
:oops:

mannikkavum. I thought its him and I definitely posted in a very positive way and was jumping with joy :-)
(He has certain things common to vijayr but also key differences - in the sense more focus on orch than melody; I think he isn't a big fan of most of IR's recent output except PR - especially 'kaNNukkuLLE' he calls 'maNNukkuLLE':lol:)

app_engine
6th September 2012, 05:29 PM
Maybe app_engine did not mean it in that way

Shank, I've also sent you a PM :-)

San_K
6th September 2012, 05:43 PM
a_e, you mean Shankar who involved (may be little) in TiS

app_engine
6th September 2012, 05:56 PM
a_e, you mean Shankar who involved (may be little) in TiS

San_K,
avarOda last visit post idhu:

Free-ya vidunga plum...I'd taken a break from TFMpage for quite some time, and happened to pass-by this way :)

I'm not here to stay...I'm on the move :)

rooky
6th September 2012, 05:57 PM

Second part of "Pudikkala maamu" (karthik part): I think this is picturised on train (Guess based on Lyrics :))

In the GVM interview, IR was talking about a song, where the tempo was fast paced, than originally planned and that GVM was surprised on the recording. IR said, he turned to GVM and told him this will be right. Is this reference to "mudhal murai" song?

rajaalltheway
6th September 2012, 07:01 PM
Gautham Menon-Isaignani-When you buy a Ferrari u need 98 octane petrol and the Autobahn to drive it..

MumbaiRamki
6th September 2012, 07:07 PM
Gautham Menon-Isaignani-When you buy a Ferrari u need 98 octane petrol and the Autobahn to drive it..
Enna ya solla vareenga . Naanga avaLavu pudhi saali illa :)

Senareb
6th September 2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqYKepaJQg&feature=player_detailpage

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks sakala. Nicely written by BR, seems to have thoroughly enjoyed. On the contrary, happened to read vijayr's comments and could not hide my laugh when he said about Gummudipundi quartet is sufficient for these songs, amazing depth, understanding and insight, and what a love for music and Raja's songs. So much to learn from him. abaaram! :clap:

V_S,

I had read BR's article and thought it was nice. Only now after you pointed out, I read the comments of vijayr. I did not want to comment there because he seems to have a jaundiced view now. Nothing from Raja is going to satisfy him or people of his ilk. Best thing is to ignore.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 07:27 PM
Gautam cones up with an App for NEPV which can play Songs, And has lot sof other interestng info about the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqYKepaJQg

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 07:28 PM
namma ALukku pudichchiruchchu!
:bluejump::bluejump::bluejump:

So, Shankar likes another IR album after pazhassi rAjA!

app,

I think you are mistaken. It is not the old time Shankar there. I think it is our own Shank who posts there regularly. And anyway, why would I even want to care about old timers, new timers etc. This album is of such intensity that all these people are of no consequence to me. They are after all people who can just casually pass a comment. We are talking here about an extraordinary work of one of the greatest artist India has ever seen. What is old time Shankar likes it or not, old timer Vijay likes it or not or new times some joker likes it or not. Forget all of them and drown in this music. What they are missing is their problem :D

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 07:30 PM
Also forgot to mention the usage of "mini hats" in "Saindhu Saindhu".. Its hard to explain.. but, I will try.. when Frenec strikes the mini hats, he bring down the top hat after a gap (pardon me.. I'm not a drummer). This is unusual and I have never heard this kind of beat before. Its hard to miss it. I think its played every 8th note?

Vinod,

Today also I have just been listening to the drumming. Outstanding, 'abaaram' and all that. No words. This fellow is excellent.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 07:33 PM
Gautam cones up with an App for NEPV which can play Songs, And has lot sof other interestng info about the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqYKepaJQg

Anyways Dont waste Rs.3 sending Message :lol: It just returns a text message saying that Gautam is preparing the App! Kindly wait till the links appear in Google Play Store and Apple Appstore!

app_engine
6th September 2012, 07:43 PM
Sureshji,

ellAm oru "samudhAya uNarvu dhAn" :-) Shankar namma dhOsththu :-)

(BTW, I explained in this thread as well as pm-ed Shank about my mistake)

Shankar.P
6th September 2012, 08:00 PM
rediff review: NEPV music is pleasant
http://www.rediff.com/movies/review/south-music-review-nee-thane-en-ponvasantham/20120906.htm

Nerd
6th September 2012, 08:09 PM
rediff review: NEPV music is pleasant
http://www.rediff.com/movies/review/south-music-review-nee-thane-en-ponvasantham/20120906.htm
Horrible review. I don't mean that the rating is bad, but her criticism is so meh. No real insight on why she thinks that her so called expectation was not met.

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 08:15 PM
My review of 'katrai konjam' : http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/katrai-konjam-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

cc; Bala (K) :)

Shankar.P
6th September 2012, 08:16 PM
Neethane En Ponvasantham - Ilayarajaism
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/13896.html

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 08:17 PM
adangoyya,

Pleasant aah? Do these people have ears? As my friend @arulselvan said on twitter, this is probably one of Raja more darker album. (I told him that 'thandavakone' was darkest). Something they listen, something they write. And 3 stars koduthirukkaanga ammani :lol:

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 08:19 PM
And where do these people hear 'vintage Raja' in this? I sometimes think people hear what they want and not actually what is recorded.

app_engine
6th September 2012, 08:34 PM
And where do these people hear 'vintage Raja' in this?

During 70's - 80's, i.e. when rAsA was peaking, there was this AkAshvANi news reader for Thamizh (which used to get relayed from Delhi in all TN AIR stations) called Saroj(a) Narayanswamy.

Wonderful reader!

The whole TN loved her voice, oru mAthiri vadakkaththiya AnAl sariyAna Thamizh uchcharippu etc. I was a regular listener to the 7.15 AM AkAshvANi news and her voice is embedded in my dimAg strongly.

Singer of the song on repeat in my car, 'mudhal muRai pArththa gnAbakam', Sunithi Chauhan, at times remind me of Saroj Narayanswamy :-)

oru vELai indha mAthiri EdhAvadhu 80's connection irukkum :mrgreen:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 08:39 PM
Good Article, Recommended Read!

http://raviaditya.blogspot.in/2012/09/blog-post.html

இளைஞர்களின் கனவு டைரக்டர் ராஜாவுடன் இணைவது எதிர்பார்ப்பை உருவாக்கியது. அதுவும் புடபெஸ்ட் இசைக்கலைஞர்களை வைத்து லண்டன் ஸ்டியோவில்ராஜா சூட்டுடன் லைவ் ரிகார்டிங் என்றதும் இன்னும் எதிர்பார்ப்பு எகிறியது.

எதிர்பார்ப்பு மற்றும் எகிறுவது இருந்தாலும் சில லாஜிக்கான கேள்விகள் இருக்கு. இசைஞானி இதுவரை போட்டது 5500 மேற்பட்ட பாடல்கள். எவ்வளவு வகையான உணர்ச்சிகள் அதிலும் அரைத்தமாவையே அரைத்த உணர்ச்சிகள்.2000-2012 வரையிலுமே கிட்டதட்ட 65 படங்கள்.கார் ரிஜிஸ்ட்ரேஷன் நம்பர் மாதிரி பலவித கலவைகளில் எல்லா உணர்ச்சிகளுக்கும் பாட்டு போட்டாகிவிட்டது.கட்டம் கட்டமாக தாண்டி வந்து ஒரு காட்டு காட்டியாகிவிட்டது. இப்போது மீண்டும் ஒரு காதல்கதை.பழையபாடல்களின் சாயல் இருக்காதா? அதே குறுக்கும் நெடுக்கும் பின்னணியிலும் பலவித இசைக்கருவிகளின் பின்னல்களா? அதே பல்லவிகளா?சரணங்களா?மிச்ச மீதி ஸ்டாக் இருக்கா?

சாயல் வராமல் இருப்பது உலக மகா கஷ்டம்.அதை நிறைய தவிர்க்கிறார் தன் திறமையால்

app_engine
6th September 2012, 08:46 PM
My review of 'katrai konjam'

neenga "rAsA-mind"ai nallA read paNNa Arambichchutteenga :thumbsup:

V_S
6th September 2012, 08:51 PM
Suresh ji,
As I said before, many could not even digest this success. They don't want this to happen. They are not seeing the music, they are seeing the man and his good old 80s. rediff is one among them, they want to intentionally play it down, so that that the soundtrack does not get its credit. Very cheap tricks. Let them be happy.

Gregorysab
6th September 2012, 09:06 PM
Hilarious review ever by rediff. But honestly, I didnt expect much anyway, given the quality of writing there. So no worries.

senthilv.com
6th September 2012, 09:08 PM
During 70's - 80's, i.e. when rAsA was peaking, there was this AkAshvANi news reader for Thamizh (which used to get relayed from Delhi in all TN AIR stations) called Saroj(a) Narayanswamy.

Wonderful reader!

The whole TN loved her voice, oru mAthiri vadakkaththiya AnAl sariyAna Thamizh uchcharippu etc. I was a regular listener to the 7.15 AM AkAshvANi news and her voice is embedded in my dimAg strongly.

Singer of the song on repeat in my car, 'mudhal muRai pArththa gnAbakam', Sunithi Chauhan, at times remind me of Saroj Narayanswamy :-)

oru vELai indha mAthiri EdhAvadhu 80's connection irukkum :mrgreen:

I was wracking my brain to recollect Saroja Narayanswamy name but I couldn't. My dad used to listen to her news. Indeed a great voice. I do see the connection with Sunidhi voice. Amazing App_engine. Thanks for solving the puzzle for me :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C28Ii_rZZDw

btw, for some strange reason, I have been imagining as if K.B. Sundarambal sang Mudhal Murai!!!

Shank
6th September 2012, 09:16 PM
app_engine, no problem...you mistook me for someone else..that's all. No offence taken at all.

Suresh65, thanks for your note too. The only two places I post are in BR's blog (as Shankar) and here (as Shank).

Sureshs65
6th September 2012, 09:35 PM

neenga "rAsA-mind"ai nallA read paNNa Arambichchutteenga :thumbsup:

Thanks. I think all of us are trying to connect to his mind but as Usha (where is she?) used to say we are blind men in front of an elephant. I see one side and suddenly I find someone seeing some other side and I am surprised how I missed it !!! That's why I urge more people to write their impression on Raja's music so that we will get an idea on the different ways he has impressed people.

V_S
6th September 2012, 09:36 PM
While that sax takeover of repeat pallavi into the second interlude of Saayndhu Saayndhu is haunting me for ever even in my dreams, today I just peeped into the last two songs of NEPV which I never listened earlier; PengaL endraaL and Satru Munbu. I am torn into pieces. Yuvan :shock: Ramya :shock: Na. Muthukumar :shock:. When Yuvan utters 'Kaathaadi' and when Ramya utters 'yEnada' and 'yennada' with NaM's touching lyrics, I am all done with my music searching. A male solo and a female solo, almost mirroring situation, yet what a contrast in the compositions. The hard rock mode given his nerve and a opera/classical mode for a depressing girl.

This soundtrack is a mighty one and a pinnacle in music (in terms of everything what music has to offer) no one can ever dream to touch it, not even reach it and it might take years/lifetime for us to get into it fully, still don't know for sure. Maestro has proved his 'raatchasan' in himself when it comes to music and the expectations. For God's sake please don't even compare this insane inhuman with any music directors/composers of any era or in any context. It will be a big shame to music.

marnsZet
6th September 2012, 09:43 PM
Suresh ji,
As I said before, many could not even digest this success. They don't want this to happen. They are not seeing the music, they are seeing the man and his good old 80s. rediff is one among them, they want to intentionally play it down, so that that the soundtrack does not get its credit. Very cheap tricks. Let them be happy.
Yaar enna sonna namakku enna saar? Namakku nalla music kidachirukku. Enjoy pannuvom. Public response is awesome.Cds sold outnu Sonye sollittanga. Nalla eriyuttum vayiru.:-D

marnsZet
6th September 2012, 09:44 PM
Suresh ji,
Yaar enna sonna namakku enna saar? Namakku nalla music kidachirukku. Enjoy pannuvom. Public response is awesome.Cds sold outnu Sonye sollittanga. Nalla eriyuttum vayiru.:-D

Sureshs65
Superbly put V_S. My request to everyone is the same. This is an album at an entirely different level when it comes to film music and I see it as milestone in Indian film music, just like 'Guru' was.

rajaalltheway
Enna ya solla vareenga . Naanga avaLavu pudhi saali illa :)
Mannichidunge anne..got carried away by this magical album..just wanted to convey that proper respect and inspiration is a requisite element apart from paying salary to bring the best out of Isaignani.By the way thiru 'BRIGS' avargal should apply for a patent for that magnificent invention

rajaalltheway
6th September 2012, 09:58 PM
IMHO (im a layman..no technical or scientific knowledge on music..just a listener) with 'MUDHAL MURAI' and to some extend 'PENGAL ENDRAAL' Ayya says "F O" loud and clear to all pseudo rockers,(com)Posers,baile funk importers and the schmucks who spend money and time on them as well as the reviewers who assume the role of the authorities in music

senthilv.com
6th September 2012, 10:35 PM
I see one side and suddenly I find someone seeing some other side and I am surprised how I missed it !!! That's why I urge more people to write their impression on Raja's music so that we will get an idea on the different ways he has impressed people.

Good point. Most of Raja's songs has lot of depth in it. So it allows for more than one interpretation. He often uses one musical idea to express multiple things and color/contrast one emotion with a related emotion or different emotion. It is not easy to figure out all.

Plum
6th September 2012, 10:36 PM
indha shankar kozhappam enna?

Hub Shank = BR Blog Shankar = BR's BITS Pilani mate. CorreettA?
innoru shankar yAru?
(andha innOnnu DhAnga idhunnE sollikittirukkInga :scratchead:

marnsZet
6th September 2012, 10:40 PM
Its for everyone to see that Raaja does on the spot composing unlike those midnight wallahs. He never does anything behind the back of the directors and when they narrate the scene music is born right in front of them. That is his style for more than three decades now. So the accusations of getting inspired or ripping tunes from x,y,z are laughable and are best ignored.

kiru
6th September 2012, 11:12 PM
...This is an album at an entirely different level when it comes to film music and I see it as milestone in Indian film music, just like 'Guru' was.

Agree ..after repeated listening .. this is in the filmy/popular genre..but a milestone it is ..
I have always thought of "Indian Film music" as a genre.. and I said it "reached" its peak with IR (once - in the context of style shift after IR). But I have to say now he is taking this genre "higher".
The fundamental composing style is still the same . With

* interludes (solo violin in muthan murai interlude is a Raja touch)
* no percussion or atleast for a short time in the interludes
* use of the orchestra in interludes
* use of the strings/orchestra for the higher octave portions of pallavi-charanams
* the use of "bridge" from pallavi-charanam to interlude and vice-versa
* charanams much quieter with subtler rhythm so you can enjoy the lyrics/tune (muthan murai, pengal enRal have quiet charanams)

But different/more fresh with -

* more infusion of harmonic elements (vaanam mella, kaaRRai konjam)
* conscious avoidance of oft-used guitar chords etc (saaindhu saaindhu)
* avoiding same instrumental phrases (except the first charanam in ennodu vaa vaa instrumental usage sounds fresh throughout)
* the non-annoying anglicized accented singing
* there are some changes in tune composition too (cannot put my finger to it though)
* heavy usage of rock elements which have only been seen in a very muted/minimal way in earlier works (pengal enRaal - interlude sounds Pink Floydish to me, the cello string/electric guitar prelude to muthan murai is awesome)

Consequently there is freshness and lack of familiarity to hard-core IR fans (including self).
To echo venkiram - this is a "Renaissance of the Orchestra" in film music .. A revival of the genre (in my opinion).

Nerd
6th September 2012, 11:14 PM
My review of 'katrai konjam' : http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/katrai-konjam-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

Super ji :clap:

The first interlude and the charanams are my favorite. So many things going on in the first interlude. Sax conversing with the electric guitar(?), followed by the chorus, flute and the violins with the piano playing a counter melody all this time. The piano continues without any accompaniments for a while till that pause. Then the oboe playing the piano's tune. Blissful. Also the pallavi after the charanam has delightful violin 'punches'.

app_engine
6th September 2012, 11:27 PM
senthiv.com,
nanRi for the Saroj youtube - veettil pOy pArkkaNum :-)

Plum,
Hub Shank (i.e. BR blog's Shankar for that 'saRRu munbu' post) is different from our old tfmpage / Hub / dhool Shankar.

I got confused and created the issue yesterday ; that is cleared up today.

(BTW, dhool/tfmpage/Hub Shankar is BITS, webgate.motorola, CISCO...avarai Bangalore & Trichy'la personalA meet paNNi irukkEn, ennOda linkedin-la irukkAr etc...

"Hub Shank" sArai inga mattum thAn idhu varai theriyum; Sureshji friendu; inRu mudhal avar BR bloggilum iruppadhai aRindhEn)

doraip
6th September 2012, 11:29 PM
Listened to NEPV. Most songs are listenable but not his greatest in recent times. As someone have posted here, Pithamagan and Naan Kadavul fair better. I got a headache after listening to NEPV songs may be because the music dominates vocals (or not balanced well). Secondly, the interludes sound nice standalone, fail to jive neither with the pallavi nor the charanam. Gives me the impression all of these are done in seclusion (that's not IR's trait). It a another rehash of his old tunes/melodies and I see no new Genre of music (as claimed by GVM).

Further, on Vaanam Mella, you can see the sub-standard sound editing. You can notice IR taking breadth at the end of the 1st pallavi (right after tharunam...tharunam.., after he finishes his portion). But this song is the best melody in the whole album apart from Saindhu Saindhu (sans Yuvan's singing).

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2012, 11:49 PM
Listened to NEPV. Most songs are listenable but not his greatest in recent times. As someone have posted here, Pithamagan and Naan Kadavul fair better. I got a headache after listening to NEPV songs may be because the music dominates vocals (or not balanced well). Secondly, the interludes sound nice standalone, fail to jive neither with the pallavi nor the charanam. Gives me the impression all of these are done in seclusion (that's not IR's trait). It a another rehash of his old tunes/melodies and I see no new Genre of music (as claimed by GVM).

Further, on Vaanam Mella, you can see the sub-standard sound editing. You can notice IR taking breadth at the end of the 1st pallavi (right after tharunam...tharunam.., after he finishes his portion). But this song is the best melody in the whole album apart from Saindhu Saindhu (sans Yuvan's singing).

I see a pattern. When kamal does extra-ordinary stuff, set of critics who are anti-kamal will take great efforts to find micro faults and build-up them as a larger schema, and point that as a reason to reject the product. They will mandatorily include this line"Ivar enna ulaga naayagan? ivlo mistakes irukku??"

Same thing here.

But the pattern i mentioned is, some how, great artists "force" critics to get into deeper level of their product and analyse them and find silly mistakes! (taking breath :lol: )

These critics will talk about only mistakes and generally they don't really "find" any mistakes so they go ahead to "create" mistakes and project them bigger! Never a moment they will talk about what exactly is new and exceptional in the product, and they will never wear the fan's shoe even for a moment. Instead, will glue their legs into critics shoe! Appadiyum, still its Raja who gloriously wins in the end! Thus, Raja actually, even raise the bar for the critic too! Critics feel confident that they can write off even greater works! Though that confidence is a bubble :lol:

NEPV is not just an album, its a Statement of a Genius' Musical Capability!

San_K
6th September 2012, 11:50 PM
While that sax takeover of repeat pallavi into the second interlude of Saayndhu Saayndhu is haunting me for ever even in my dreams, today I just peeped into the last two songs of NEPV which I never listened earlier; PengaL endraaL and Satru Munbu. I am torn into pieces. Yuvan :shock: Ramya :shock: Na. Muthukumar :shock:. When Yuvan utters 'Kaathaadi' and when Ramya utters 'yEnada' and 'yennada' with NaM's touching lyrics, I am all done with my music searching. A male solo and a female solo, almost mirroring situation, yet what a contrast in the compositions. The hard rock mode given his nerve and a opera/classical mode for a depressing girl.

This soundtrack is a mighty one and a pinnacle in music (in terms of everything what music has to offer) no one can ever dream to touch it, not even reach it and it might take years/lifetime for us to get into it fully, still don't know for sure. Maestro has proved his 'raatchasan' in himself when it comes to music and the expectations. For God's sake please don't even compare this insane inhuman with any music directors/composers of any era or in any context. It will be a big shame to music.

Very well said V_S. And the second interlude of Saainthu Sainthu (epdi ezhuthurathu!) is arguably one of top 3 interludes of this album :). Just I tweeted the same, yesterday.

BTW

யோவ் என்னையா நடக்குது இங்க , சுனிதி மேடத்த சரோஜ் நாராயண சுவாமி, கே பி சுந்தரம்பாள் அப்டி இப்டினுட்டு. ஆனா ஒன்னு அம்மணி ஸ்பீக்கர முழுங்கி வாய்க்கு உள்ளார வச்சுருக்கு அப்டின்றது மற்றும் உறுதி. நிகழ்ச்சியில் நேரடியா பார்த்து அசந்துட்டேன்

MelHarmony
7th September 2012, 12:21 AM

dorai saab!

It is Raaja genre. Period. there is no second thought. GVM wanted an urban touch to all songs and IR gave just that...I dont think IR has done this to prove his talent...All songs are great musical stuff and it takes a hell to recreate them on stage or in a studio by others. Saindhu is of the same calibre or even more than the "Titanic" movie song!

MelHarmony
7th September 2012, 12:25 AM
Superbly put V_S. My request to everyone is the same. This is an album at an entirely different level when it comes to film music and I see it as milestone in Indian film music, just like 'Guru' was.

This is definitely on par with "Guru"...or even better...Guru went unnoticed...this one should not...

Meanwhile I dont see reviews from big websites...I have not seen review even by Thatstamil...

app_engine
7th September 2012, 12:30 AM
irir123 must be a happy person right now :-)

He need not struggle / run around poor quality audio files / disks / song-choices etc to showcase rAsA to his western acquaintances :-)

I don't know if Sony has plans to ship CD's abroad...(indhiyAla irundhA niRaiya vAngi avarukku anuppi irukkalAm)

MelHarmony
7th September 2012, 12:39 AM
Horrible review. I don't mean that the rating is bad, but her criticism is so meh. No real insight on why she thinks that her so called expectation was not met.

Very mundane review...I dont know how she missed all these record of sorts...
1. 8 songs in a single film in the current film industry...
2. making all the songs appealing
3. No song is out of melody
4. A symphony orchestra being used for a film music
5. most important, all are "written music" and not computer generated music
6. creation @70
7. though all are ultra modern composition with wide variety of genres, all songs are poetic (except maybe pudikkalae song)

baroque
7th September 2012, 01:05 AM
MelHarmony,
There are some previous albums in recent yrs with 7 or 8 compositions, say....Rahman's JA, Delhi 6, endhiran etc..
It doesn't mean anything for some people!
Raja's AA DINAGALU - 2007 has only 2 compositions or TIK TIK TIK - 1981 has only 3 songs :musicsmile: love everything about those compositions & the albums!
I emotionally connect with them!
'good music' they appeal to me etc... are relative term.
all compositions appeal to you, good for you!
Not everyone has to warm up to all compositions!

symphony orchestra is used for a film music!
that's nice, Raja has enjoyed surely!
It's good NEPV producers has money to spend which Raja appreciated very much.
that doesn't mean anything to some folks!:)
I bet with no orchestral gimmicks, melodic, minimalistic - 'oh....sajna - Parakh of Salilda or early IR's suga mo aayiram..... etc.. they may be cherishing forever!

MelHarmony
7th September 2012, 01:09 AM
Vinod,

Today also I have just been listening to the drumming. Outstanding, 'abaaram' and all that. No words. This fellow is excellent.

The drumming in the album is really of top class..I hada longstanding varutham on IR music...he missed out Sivamani from his troop due to various reasons. there was no one to fill that gap...who can forget "vaanam keezhe" or "aattam ingae" or "pesa koodaathu" etc.,. This album has satisfied me by having a good drummer with a good quality instrument.
but i have a few questions...

1. In Saindhu I feel the hi-hats could have been used in a open mode always. Actually it is opened from the beginning till the end of 1st interlude.....after that inside the 1st charanam and after that it is used in a closed manner..."
2.. tom tom is used at many places... But i dont hear rim click...

irir123
7th September 2012, 01:15 AM
app_engine: only last night, I hummed the tune of 'satru mumbu' in a Starbucks outlet at the Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, after the students managing the counter requested me to do so, after i gave them an IR flyer ! ellaam NEPV audio quality thandha confidence! having done my best to sing/ hum the 'satru munbu' tune as huskily as i cud, i assured them that the entire album is a zillion times better than how i rendered!! they looked very much hooked!

V_S
7th September 2012, 01:24 AM

Fantastic write-up and analysis on Kaatrai Konjam. :clap: Incidently I started writing about it yesterday. You wrote what I had in my mind.:smile: Very very special composition. This composition is in E-Major. As you said, I was stunned by the rhythmic innovation. By the fast tempo, it is 7/8 (123+1234) as you said, but it could also be 7/4 provided which beat gets attention. Can't imagine how fast this song is. We will not know by listening, just when we try to find the time signature, we know what pace it is going. Silent killer! I asked my teacher a tricky question forwarding this song yesterday.:D Which genre can we classify this song? She almost told everything right from rock/pop/jazz/blues/classical and then asked, wait a minute, how is that even possible?. She said this statement about the whole composition and its time signature. "I will admit, the more I listen to this, the more confused I become!"

I was smiling myself as I knew what genre that is in. It is a cracker of a composition and we don't often get to hear a composition like this. One thing is for sure. Playing piano, guitar, violins are not that tough for this time signature, but for wind/brass instrument it is not easy to play, as it gasps for breath. Surprisingly sax goes so close to the main melody, it is not just a filler, and where it gets a small opportunity. That electric guitar in the first interlude, what a delight! This is the supremacy and authority we are talking about. More later....:smile:

kiru
7th September 2012, 01:29 AM
That rediff reviewer is so pathetic in hiding her biases. If I were her - I would go all out and attack IR.
I would say it is all a rehash of 80s melodies with too much of loud orchestral sounds to hide it. If young MDs are using loud synth percussion IR is using loud orchestra and not to mention the satanic rock music electric guitar sounds (ha ha ) IR has no respect for chennai musicians. This "foreign" obsession should go way from indian people blah blah (See an ardent IR fan like me can say it without any compunctions :-) )
She has no guts.. Sorry for her.. There are posters here who are reviewing and criticizing the albums much better ..

kid-glove
7th September 2012, 01:50 AM
To Jai (for his comment on Mugamoodi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDapzj3hiOo&feature=related

Vinodkumar
7th September 2012, 01:50 AM
The drumming in the album is really of top class..I hada longstanding varutham on IR music...he missed out Sivamani from his troop due to various reasons. there was no one to fill that gap...who can forget "vaanam keezhe" or "aattam ingae" or "pesa koodaathu" etc.,. This album has satisfied me by having a good drummer with a good quality instrument.
but i have a few questions...

1. In Saindhu I feel the hi-hats could have been used in a open mode always. Actually it is opened from the beginning till the end of 1st interlude.....after that inside the 1st charanam and after that it is used in a closed manner..."
2.. tom tom is used at many places... But i dont hear rim click...

1. In Saindhu Saindhu.. the high-hats are used in closed mode.. the sound after the strike is more subdued versus the open mode where in the sound strike is resonated for couple of milli seconds and then it is closed as he keeps striking it in certain intervals.
2. Regarding the "Rim Click", its the tapping sound that you hear right after the initial rendition of "Saindhu Saindhu" is that when he strikes the stick on the rim of the snare drum or it could be mini version of a drum which produces the "tak... tak" sound.. Any drummers out there?

The more impressed instrument for me is the Acoustic drums and Guitar.. The Drums dominate the whole album followed by Guitar (Acoustics/Electric). You can see the brass/Flute/Oboe dominating every now and then.. This is a musical treat for all of us..

kid-glove
7th September 2012, 01:52 AM
My review of 'katrai konjam' : http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/0...-ponvasantham/

Super ji :clap:

The first interlude and the charanams are my favorite. So many things going on in the first interlude. Sax conversing with the electric guitar(?), followed by the chorus, flute and the violins with the piano playing a counter melody all this time. The piano continues without any accompaniments for a while till that pause. Then the oboe playing the piano's tune. Blissful. Also the pallavi after the charanam has delightful violin 'punches'.

Problem with IR albums isn't so much that you don't have much to say, but how to say something that's not already said (and better than I ever could)..

baroque
7th September 2012, 01:55 AM
app_engine: only last night, I hummed the tune of 'satru mumbu' in a Starbucks outlet at the Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, after the students managing the counter requested me to do so, after i gave them an IR flyer ! ellaam NEPV audio quality thandha confidence! having done my best to sing/ hum the 'satru munbu' tune as huskily as i cud, i assured them that the entire album is a zillion times better than how i rendered!! they looked very much hooked!

Hope at least one of the guys from your group search and buy the tracks say.... at places like AMAZON , i tunes etc..
Care to let you know that your efforts fascinate them! You deserve it!:-D

Shank
7th September 2012, 02:27 AM
indha shankar kozhappam enna?

Hub Shank = BR Blog Shankar = BR's BITS Pilani mate. CorreettA?
innoru shankar yAru?
(andha innOnnu DhAnga idhunnE sollikittirukkInga :scratchead:

Correct, Plum...

senthilv.com
7th September 2012, 04:14 AM
MelHarmony,
There are some previous albums in recent yrs with 7 or 8 compositions, say....Rahman's JA, Delhi 6, endhiran etc..
It doesn't mean anything for some people!
Raja's AA DINAGALU - 2007 has only 2 compositions or TIK TIK TIK - 1981 has only 3 songs :musicsmile: love everything about those compositions & the albums!
I emotionally connect with them!
'good music' they appeal to me etc... are relative term.
all compositions appeal to you, good for you!
Not everyone has to warm up to all compositions!

that's nice, Raja has enjoyed surely!
It's good NEPV producers has money to spend which Raja appreciated very much.
that doesn't mean anything to some folks!:)
I bet with no orchestral gimmicks, melodic, minimalistic - 'oh....sajna - Parakh of Salilda or early IR's suga mo aayiram..... etc.. they may be cherishing forever!

This is a problem for sure. Especially for our Indian melody loving people. If you are going to look for "just" the melody in the song and it doesn't appeal to them, it doesn't mean the song is not good. It means they have a different taste. Raja has moved on whether some will like it not. He is trying move from an era where the orchestra is an ornamental and supportive element to the main melody, to successfully integrating the orchestral and other elements into melody as an essential element of the song. They are becoming integral and soul of the song. Remove them from the song there is a loss of essence in every angle -- impact, aesthetics and feeling. He is almost moving into true western classical structure but still figuring out a way to retain the beauty of Indian melody. He is sure gonna lose some Indian melody purist but we all know Raja's love for western classical, he wants to go in this direction. I'm not saying he has not done this before. He started this trend in 80's and he going really far into this territory now and I don't think he is going to do pure Indian melody type song unless the song/situation requires that treatment.

You can see this kind of shift even in western classical music. Beethoven's "Fur Elise" melody is not same as Ravel's "Bolero". Difficult see the impact of Bolero melody's full impact without those marching drums around it. Debussy 's "Claire de lune" is completely different in treatment from Beethoven's "Moonlight sonata" but subjectively they both take me to heavenly world and create a similar feeling in me.

Extreme example in WCM would be Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" Such a discordant and shocking piece of WCM when it came out. The aesthetic to appreciate is completely different but the world came around and appreciated it later. There would probably be no Psycho's creepy music, Jaw's shark theme and Close encounter of the third kind music with out "The Rite of spring"

Coming back to the point, Raja is trying to take us into a completely new direction. We either go with him in to future or make our own choice but to compare his music to a different era of his music is just a futile exercise. If they are going to look for 80's style musical "comeback" they will surely be disappointed.

--Senthil

jaiganes
7th September 2012, 04:24 AM
To Jai (for his comment on Mugamoodi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDapzj3hiOo&feature=related
ydkv da?

baroque
7th September 2012, 04:48 AM
Let Raja's music soar in any direction or in any form!
I will enjoy the compositions that I emotionally connect & cherish them !:musicsmile:

For me big symphony band from Mars playing the album is irrelevant & insignificant!

SoftSword
7th September 2012, 04:52 AM
pudikkala maamu rap - annaachi unna naan punnaakku thinna veppaen memories... but not the same effect...

senthilv.com
7th September 2012, 06:44 AM
Let Raja's music soar in any direction or in any form!
I will enjoy the compositions that I emotionally connect & cherish them !:musicsmile:

For me big symphony band from Mars playing the album is irrelevant & insignificant!

I wasnt talking about you. Music is a matter of taste. Chill.

groucho070
7th September 2012, 07:11 AM

This soundtrack is a mighty one and a pinnacle in music (in terms of everything what music has to offer) no one can ever dream to touch it, not even reach it and it might take years/lifetime for us to get into it fully, still don't know for sure. Maestro has proved his 'raatchasan' in himself when it comes to music and the expectations. For God's sake please don't even compare this insane inhuman with any music directors/composers of any era or in any context. It will be a big shame to music.Yes, both outstanding pieces. Two different types of inferno.

rajkumarc
7th September 2012, 07:24 AM
Suresh & VS - Great writeups on Saindhu Saindhu & Kaatrai Konjam :clap:, Groucho - Super blog post, enjoyed reading it and the analogy with Clint Eastwood was very interesting :clap:

Great to see the energy & passion among hubbers in posting their views about NEPV, I think it will continue for a while for sure. I have been listening to NEPV at any given opportunity & time and am not skipping any song but playing lots of songs more than once. My kid has now warmed up to Mudhal Murai, seems to like the Nee Thaane En Pon Vasantham line in particular, her other favorites being Kaatrai Konjam & Yennodu Vaa Vaa.

AravindMano
7th September 2012, 07:42 AM
peNgaL endRaal - what an effing brilliance. the rage, the angst - terrific. Yuvan is the perfuuct choice. Have guitars revolted EVER like this before?

"enna solli... enna peNNE.." those lines - murky guitar riffs - not the ones punctuating these lines but the ones lurking in the background. What madness!

raja_fan
7th September 2012, 07:50 AM
The tune from Madonna's song between 0:08 to 0:15 is similar to Vaanam Mella tune. If you don't find that to be the case, just ignore and move on.

I ignored some of the provocative posts by some members here.

Now, let's enjoy the music from the legend.

Ok..I agree on that similarity. But that 7 seconds similarity makes this strong "heavily inspired" ???

AravindMano
7th September 2012, 08:02 AM
#youRemember when they said Yuvan has sung a pathos song our hearts went damaaal.

Who would have thought ? Who would hav thought!

groucho070
7th September 2012, 08:09 AM
rajkumarc nandri, nandri. Rendu pakkamum thread pichikittu Oduthu. Difficult to track some great posts.

marnsZet
7th September 2012, 08:23 AM
rajkumarc nandri, nandri. Rendu pakkamum thread pichikittu Oduthu. Difficult to track some great posts.

Whats s the other thread? Am I missing smthing?:(

marnsZet
7th September 2012, 08:30 AM
Ok..I agree on that similarity. But that 7 seconds similarity makes this strong "heavily inspired" ???
Puthusa potta Raaja touch ille,ripped,copied or inspired. Illenna same old tune village feel nu solluvanga. Ithellam evlov pathachu. Vidunga boss.

groucho070
7th September 2012, 08:39 AM
Whats s the other thread? Am I missing smthing?:(
In the film section, click here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9702-GVM-s-Nee-Thaane-En-Pon-Vasantham/page146).

baroque
7th September 2012, 08:50 AM
Senthil,
I am chill ,cool, freaky, bizarre & more :-D floating in the air while driving from softball field tonight while enjoying SORGAM MADHUVILEY....SATTAM EN KAIYIL...80S ILAYARAJA!

indeed music is a matter of taste!
but I tell you
SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA FOR FILM MUSIC is not a reason enough for few people to embrace whatever IR offers, though let him offer what he conceives spontaneously!

same time I am so dreaming how wonderful it would be somebody arranges with symphony big band with S.P.B live concerts around the world in all languages-several composers, he is in good form still! (Rafi Resurrected is fantastic concert by 2008 by Sonu nigam! I cherish the CDs)

marnsZet
7th September 2012, 08:51 AM
In the film section, click here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9702-GVM-s-Nee-Thaane-En-Pon-Vasantham/page146).
danks!

sivasub
7th September 2012, 09:01 AM
Wanna work with IR.. here's the dummies guide for the same. Interesting!!!

http://ganpy.com/2012/09/06/dummies-guide-to-working-with-ilayaraja/dummiesraja-001/

raajarasigan
7th September 2012, 09:14 AM
sAindhu sAindhu is becoming super hit... frequently aired in almost all FMs in Chennai.. :D

Sureshs65
7th September 2012, 09:17 AM
Suresh ji,

As Bala (K) mentioned here about another person here, all these guys are becoming like comedy pieces. That's all I can say about guys like vijay who post such comments there.

Bala (Karthik)
7th September 2012, 09:25 AM
but I tell you
SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA FOR FILM MUSIC is not a reason enough for few people to embrace whatever IR offers, though let him offer what he conceives spontaneously!
Baroque
Why do you keep repeating this line ad nauseum?? Do you think all of us here who love this album are forcing ourselves, tricking our minds into liking this just because they recorded this in London with an orchestra? Did anyone here claim symphony orchestra from London is the reason NEPV is great?

baroque
7th September 2012, 09:30 AM
Mel was mentioning few reasons while he disagreed for the review.
one was SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA FOR FILM MUSIC.
It is the continuation of that conversation..
senthil was saying somethibg, i posted something... so..

you carry on....
you enjoy NEPV:musicsmile:

unfortunately I posted something, went away for 3 hrs baseball, returned now, posting reply!
didn't mean to obstruct your enjoyment... though it is!

We are done!

Sureshs65
7th September 2012, 09:31 AM
Baroque
Why do you keep repeating this line ad nauseum?? Do you think all of us here who love this album are forcing ourselves, tricking our minds into liking this just because they recorded this in London with an orchestra? Did anyone here claim symphony orchestra from London is the reason NEPV is great?

Exactly. This album is being enjoyed INSPITE of all the hype, not because of it. Infact there were lot of critics here (including I) of GVM's over 'paduththal' and 'over publicity'. But once the album has been released, all that vanished. This is an album to which no hype can do justice. And songs like 'pudhikala mamu', 'pengal enral', 'mudhal murai' don't really depend on symphonic orchestration.

Bala (Karthik)
7th September 2012, 09:36 AM
Mikka nandri Suresh ji for your post on Kaatrai Konjam. Adhula varakkoodiya chords pathi konjam sollungalen. Adhavadhu saavu kuthu melatha ketta eppadi oru manusana irukkakkoodiyavan thannaala ezhundhu aadrano (illa control apnnikkaraano), indha paatta kekkumbodhu oru instrument-um vaasikka theriyaadha naan, at a tayathula ella instrument-um vaasikkara oru feel. Especially the chords on keys/piano. This is a jam band gem. Imagine how the musicians would have felt while recording this song? The tune and the breezy 'lightness' of Karthik's singing belies the awesomeness of the music (charanam culmination la tune-um poondhu vilaiyaadum, adhu vera vishayam)

Gregorysab
7th September 2012, 10:02 AM
Remember how sceptical I was about the album wen Saindhu Saindhu teasers and over publicity was going on. I had my own doubts about GVM's taste (given his previous preferences for more of casual-hummable-easy numbers in his films, as compared to complex melodies). But once the album came out, these things didnt come into picture at all. Also, symphony orchestra is just a canvas on which he painted his imagination well. Its not the only strength. The magic is in tunes itself like in sattru munbu, mudhal murai. Its the tune which with which he surprised us. And I have gushed enough positives about Pengal endraal - the song that I hated in the 1st listening.

This is not the usual Ilaiyaraaja album.

I think some people are totally lost/caught up with sharing more opinions and counter-opinions here and in other platforms. Guys, use all that time to enjoy the album. Relax. Let it sink in. Because you will not have more time later to do... for the genius will roll out Gundello Godari in barely a month. This is why the frequency of my posts here has come down in last 2 days :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th September 2012, 10:22 AM
Wanna work with IR.. here's the dummies guide for the same. Interesting!!!

http://ganpy.com/2012/09/06/dummies-guide-to-working-with-ilayaraja/dummiesraja-001/

Ethirkatchikkaaran, yuvar aanar :lol:

raghavendran
7th September 2012, 10:52 AM
Mikka nandri Suresh ji for your post on Kaatrai Konjam. Adhula varakkoodiya chords pathi konjam sollungalen. Adhavadhu saavu kuthu melatha ketta eppadi oru manusana irukkakkoodiyavan thannaala ezhundhu aadrano (illa control apnnikkaraano), indha paatta kekkumbodhu oru instrument-um vaasikka theriyaadha naan, at a tayathula ella instrument-um vaasikkara oru feel. Especially the chords on keys/piano. This is a jam band gem. Imagine how the musicians would have felt while recording this song? The tune and the breezy 'lightness' of Karthik's singing belies the awesomeness of the music (charanam culmination la tune-um poondhu vilaiyaadum, adhu vera vishayam)supera sonninga...:)

now currenta hum pannikitu irukira song kaatrai konjamdhan...instrument vasikardhu kuda na padikitu irukken..such a beautiful song..

enlightenment..thassal..

p
7th September 2012, 11:14 AM
After a week of listening, it is peNgaL enRal for the win!

groucho070
7th September 2012, 11:55 AM
Mods, Poll please.

sivasub
7th September 2012, 12:28 PM
http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?Section=Movies&ID=264260&subcatg=&keyword=regional&nid=264260

Neethaane En Ponvasantham perfect rendition of melody, trance... from ndtv

San_K
7th September 2012, 01:43 PM
Pool choices should have checkboxes not option buttons which will allow to pick only one choice :). Probaly I will check/select all songs :adhu:

Sureshs65
7th September 2012, 04:24 PM
Bala(K),

chords ellam we must ask someone like V_S or Ravi Natrajan. Yes, what you say is perfectly right. It is a riot and if you ask a band to jam, they will be maha thrilled. It is almost as if the song has been made for the bands to play and enjoy themselves.

senthilv.com
7th September 2012, 05:31 PM
http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?Section=Movies&ID=264260&subcatg=&keyword=regional&nid=264260

Neethaane En Ponvasantham perfect rendition of melody, trance... from ndtv

Positive review but.... What the hell they mean by this Sattru Munbu: ...The composition is clearly done and never does the listener feels the music and voice are overlapping.

ROFL!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th September 2012, 05:34 PM

Gautham Vasudev Menon is back with RS Infotainment and Photon Kathaas' Needhane En Pon Vasantham (You are My Golden Spring), a title that forms part of a classic romantic chartbuster of yesteryear.

It is also the first time he joins hands with maestro Ilaiyaraja, the master of melodies, whose romantic numbers defined the seventies, eighties and nineties. He blends his music with the words of Na Muthukumar.

Here's a quick review of the album:

Gentle guitar strings kick off Saindhu Saindhu as Yuvan Shankar Raja begins the song. Female lead Ramya NSK arrives in the middle of the song.

The lyrics fit the bill, musing upon the many splendours of a loved one. It's safe to say that the interludes are far more appealing than the vocal segments with their instrumental arrangements, especially the violin.

Katrai Konjam begins as vintage Ilaiyaraja as Karthik goes all out, bringing out an eighties romantic number, complete in every note.

Ominous notes kick off Mudhal Murai, rendered by the surprisingly solid voice of Sunidhi Chauhan [ Images ]. It takes you aback a little with its aggressive onslaught. It's a radically different number.

The chorus of Vaanam Mella kicks of melodiously as Ilaiyaraja blends his voice with Bela Shinde to provide a song that flutters around on romantic wings. It's a throwback to his Pithamagan days -- soothing, but oft-heard for all that.

Pudikkala Maamu is a lot more youthful with its ranting and raving about colleges, books and how tiresome the teenage years are.

It's a perfect recreation of the early nineties Raja college numbers, sung by Suraj Jagan and Karthik. Later, the track changes abruptly to a folksier tempo. It's nostalgic certainly, but not really scintillating.

Karthik sings Ennoda Va Va, the Ilaiyaraja number that ticks all the boxes: nostalgia, gentleness, romance, and a gentle humour not to mention a steady beat that never intrudes upon the vocals.

Yuvan Shankar Raja starts off Pengal Endraal with a yell, a rant against women, love and other such gentler emotions.

It's full of synthesised music, plenty of anguish, and embodies aggression in every way, though some gentleness puts in an appearance occasionally. It doesn't quite rouse you to the same passion.

Satru Munbu begins quite dramatically but settles down to something mellower, and Ramya NSK's voice is very effective in expressing anguish. Easily the best number of the collection.

It's been touted as the album which sees the maestro back in the saddle of Thamizh film music, so to speak. Certainly, Needhane En Pon Vasantham's numbers are vintage Raja, and bring a sharp sense of nostalgia, what with their skillful instrumental arrangement. But pleasant as they are, they don't quite achieve the brilliance we have come to expect from him. Perhaps that's a case of expecting too much from a legend.

The album may not be scintillating, but it's a pleasant listen.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th September 2012, 05:40 PM
Singer Srinvas's short review on NEPV

http://www.facebook.com/srinivas.doraiswamy/posts/4145857778747

Srinivas Doraiswamy (http://www.facebook.com/srinivas.doraiswamy)

Finally heard NEPV album.. One of the most amazing albums of Raja sir.. Because it is a new Raja,not the 80s Raja,who I love too.. The way he has run amok with strings and horns is crazy.. No one else here(with the exception of ARR who does it totally different) could have done this.... Satru munbe has to be one of the greatest songs ever and what singing by Ramya... Kaatrai Konjam is ravishing too(Karthik sings with passion after usure pogudhe ).. Every song is a delight and done with a freshness and all live..no synth.. The sore point is Saayndhu could have been sung by professionals who take care of their voice and notes. The Sunidhi song is great too and the one Raja sir himself sings,you can listen to again again for the orchestral interludes... This one is just about music.. And not about whether the mids and highs are fine... Thanks,gautam menon.. Saashtaanga pranaamam to Raja sir...In my opinion the dhristi pariharam in this album is yennodu vaa vaa,which sounds dated

rooky
7th September 2012, 06:12 PM
Ennodu Vaa Vaa @ 1
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-slide-shows/movie-4/top-ten-songs-sep-07/nep.html

San_K
7th September 2012, 06:19 PM
In my opinion the dhristi pariharam in this album is yennodu vaa vaa,which sounds dated

Intha commenta konjam mathitapla as below :lol:

In my opinion yennodu vaa vaa sounds a little dated but that is my opinion,for others it could be the best song...

venkkiram
7th September 2012, 06:22 PM
To those who think Yuvan voice is the opt choise for saainthu saainthu as it emotes the laziness well.. Simple question. Does it mean you support the approach of making one disable person to act in a scene insted of one fine actor acts like disabled? How about a real person from street acting in role of appu in AS?

venkkiram
7th September 2012, 06:24 PM
Intha commenta konjam mathitapla as below :lol:

I thought those lines belong to sakala as it appears in normal whereas other lines in BOLD.

San_K
7th September 2012, 06:27 PM
venki, i dont think so. only Sakala can verify now :)

app_engine
7th September 2012, 06:58 PM
Reg. ennOdu vA vA - it's not lime juice or apple juice as it is made out to be.

It is still alcohol (although beer)...

WARNING : I'll do a long post on EVV today!

Fliflo
7th September 2012, 07:10 PM
Rediff review has negligible effect on what is going on with this album :) So ignore it.

San_K
7th September 2012, 07:32 PM
sAindhu sAindhu is becoming super hit... frequently aired in almost all FMs in Chennai.. :D

Oh! it deserves :)

BTW yesterday I tuned FMs for 15 min (afternoon) + 15 min (evening) and I heard kaatrai konjam 2 times. Also in a byracy video shop two person bought mp3 CDs by uttering 'NEPV mp3 paattu venum'

teja
7th September 2012, 07:37 PM

http://www.facebook.com/srinivas.doraiswamy/posts/4145857778747

Srinivas Doraiswamy (http://www.facebook.com/srinivas.doraiswamy)

[h=6]No one else here(with the exception of ARR who does it totally different) could have done this....

Did you notice that hilarious sentence? Just shows how insecure people in ARR's camp are. Can't even praise an album from other composers wholeheartedly. Very very lame.

San_K
7th September 2012, 07:41 PM
@teja

whatever it is, this rare kinda rare review from a industry person :). So welcome it

BTW, antha comment mothama delete pannittarru

SoftSword
7th September 2012, 07:41 PM
quite balanced review, srinivas... being an ARR fan....

venkkiram
7th September 2012, 07:42 PM
Can't even praise an album from other composers wholeheartedly. Agree. Bringing ARR is really not necessary here.

SoftSword
7th September 2012, 07:52 PM
Did you notice that hilarious sentence? Just shows how insecure people in ARR's camp are. Can't even praise an album from other composers wholeheartedly. Very very lame.

seriously?

venkkiram
7th September 2012, 07:53 PM
quite balanced review, srinivas... being an ARR fan.... Yes. As far as NEPV concerned, all we need opinions from MDs across India. Not from Behindwoods, Sify and Rediff media.

marnsZet
7th September 2012, 07:59 PM

I think Srini is wholehearted in his praise of Raja and the album.He might have some soft corner for ARR and that is understandable. What Raja can do in a couple of minutes [composing tunes and writing scores] might take ARR weeks or more. So no comparisons there. Let us take credits at the face value. And being a classically trained cine singer his plaudits for the album sound sincere and sweet.

Nerd
7th September 2012, 08:30 PM
Reg. ennOdu vA vA - it's not lime juice or apple juice as it is made out to be.

It is still alcohol (although beer)...

WARNING : I'll do a long post on EVV today!
LOL at the WARNING :-)

Kannaththial adikkumadi muththaththaalE vENdumadi - Such a sweet portion of the song. I can forgive the pedestrian pallavi / synth laden later half just for the charanams, the quoted portions especially.

Sureshs65
7th September 2012, 08:39 PM
My take on 'pudikala maamu' here:

http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/pudikala-maamu-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

Sureshs65
7th September 2012, 08:44 PM
app,

Waiting for the long post.

And yes, I thought Srinivas was quite sincere in his praise and you can see he really likes the album. So we should leave it at that and appreciate that he had the conviction to put his thoughts on internet. More power to people like him who can express what they feel without being constrained by the 'camp' they are in or by political correctness.

musiukunit
7th September 2012, 08:46 PM
Srinivas comments gets me thinking a lot..
He says 80's raja ..Bloody hell..Thats just internet fanboy stuff..
When did he become 80's raja for u music guys..

How would you timestamp thiruvasagam, nan kadavul, sri rama rajyam, Dhoni etc..
Even 20 somethings are writing great posts on his experiments on new genres and stuff like Jazz usage recently etc..

These guys dont listen to ilaiyaraja that often..OMG..and they are in music industry...

and then that ennodu vaa vaa is dated..What does dated mean..again is that a comment from a musician..
I can agree to his stance on Yuvan in musical terms but dated is just a commercial terminology in my opinion..

teja
7th September 2012, 09:06 PM
Suresh,

> who can express what they feel without being constrained by the 'camp' they are in or by political correctness.

I see it the other way. He *is* constrained by the camp he is in. There was simply no reason for ARR reference in his post. Looks out of place and forced.

Anyway, to each, his own :)

ajaybaskar
7th September 2012, 09:24 PM
Teja,

That word ARR camp was unnecessary. In fact, Srinivas was a find of Raja and not Rahman. Only thing is that he couldn't sing for Raja on that particular day and got his chance later in Nammavar. If you are going to stamp someone as hailing from ARR camp - just because they are a fan, then the list is going to be quite huge.

app_engine
7th September 2012, 09:33 PM
Even 20 somethings are writing great posts on his experiments on new genres

nal varavu, balachidam!

Nice to see many new(?) ones posting here, thanks to NEPV :-)

Nerd
7th September 2012, 09:38 PM
Ajay,
Srini is much much more than just a fan of ARR and you know it.

I also found his comment out of place. Simply there was no need for that.

sivasub
7th September 2012, 10:02 PM
Ajay,
Srini is much much more than just a fan of ARR and you know it.

I also found his comment out of place. Simply there was no need for that.

I dont think we should this too much. Obviously he would not like his goodwill with ARR to be hampered in any manner. Even otherwise I dont see that as an issue as he may have included ARR matter of factly. We should appreciate the fact that a singer is openly saying that nobody other than IR could have done such a feat.

Fliflo
7th September 2012, 10:03 PM
Another detailed NEP review

http://sridharsubramaniam.org/?p=1200

musiukunit
7th September 2012, 10:09 PM
in reply to

nal varavu, balachidam! Nice to see many new(?) ones posting here, thanks to NEPV

Ha ha ..True..
Like somebody said NEPV is not raja's come back..
Its actually raja fans come back

Was more a solitary listener of raja...but wanted to check the internet if atleast NEPV would appeal to people..
and god how much has it done..so thrilled

Want to write on the songs in detail...(although i donno anything technically..)

ajaybaskar
7th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Nerd,

Even if he is from the so called ARR camp, is it not a great thing that he is openly praising Raja's album in a public forum? What insecurity do you find here?

Everybody is entitled to have their own views, right? Some may consider Raja the best and some may consider Rahman the best and some may consider both.

brigs
7th September 2012, 10:19 PM
Another detailed NEP review

http://sridharsubramaniam.org/?p=1200

...Now, would Raaja please stand up and declare how long it took to complete each song in NPV?

Nevertheless, we can hope that this experience and the success should have made Raaja realise the potential he has going forward. More directors who were wary of signing up Raaja might flock to his doorstep now and he might end up returning to his old habit of doing 40 films a year. But that would be unwise and bad for his music. If, on the other hand, he signs fewer films and become choosy with the directors, we might expect some quality music from him in future. In any case, NPV will be a turning point in his career and the entire credit should go to Gautham Vasudev Menon.

I also wondered the same. How long would it have taken IR to compose these songs? When working with quality directors, IR's creation have always been nothing short of phenomenal. Hope he continues to work for better directors and chisel each & every song like a music-smith & package exquisitely. Aren't we so greedy? When it comes to quality music - I'm very greedy

K
7th September 2012, 10:25 PM
Enna Koduma Ithu
http://chellakirukkalgal.blogspot.in/2012/09/blog-post.html

Camphor Smell ? knows

AravindMano
7th September 2012, 10:28 PM
Nerd,

Even if he is from the so called ARR camp, is it not a great thing that he is openly praising Raja's album in a public forum? What insecurity do you find here?

Everybody is entitled to have their own views, right? Some may consider Raja the best and some may consider Rahman the best and some may consider both.

I don't have an opinion on his status update. But I found this extremely funny - not your thought - but that indha stage-ku namma vandhAchu - someone who is a singer and musician himself praising a well known composer's album becomes a *great thing*. Camps or no camps. Sad state of affairs.

ajaybaskar
7th September 2012, 10:30 PM
Is it not true, AM sir? :)

AravindMano
7th September 2012, 10:32 PM
Sad state of affairs uh? :)

ajaybaskar
7th September 2012, 10:34 PM
A singer and musician himself, this person openly praised a composer for his work. He believes that another composer can match the work of the first composer. For that, he is being torn apart in various forums. Now say, is it not a great thing to praise someone, camps or no camps?

Gregorysab
7th September 2012, 10:35 PM
I don't have an opinion on his status update. But I found this extremely funny - not your thought - but that indha stage-ku namma vandhAchu - someone who is a singer and musician himself praising a well known composer's album becomes a *great thing*. Camps or no camps. Sad state of affairs.

My thoughts exactly. Its funny that a mere facebook post is enough for inviting 100 interpretations, of which most of them are negative anyway :-D and few positive :-).. such a non-issue!

app_engine
7th September 2012, 10:38 PM
Enna Koduma Ithu
http://chellakirukkalgal.blogspot.in/2012/09/blog-post.html

Camphor Smell ? knows

I've already posted this link (possibly in the TF section) and quoted her warming up a little bit to EVV :-)

album perusA pidikkAdhavangaLukkum EVV pidikkudhu - "easily accessible track" :-)

SoftSword
7th September 2012, 10:50 PM
A singer and musician himself, this person openly praised a composer for his work. He believes that another composer can match the work of the first composer. For that, he is being torn apart in various forums. Now say, is it not a great thing to praise someone, camps or no camps?

when was the last time he posted his comments on an album?
i don think he even did this for any ARR album...

ajaybaskar
7th September 2012, 10:54 PM
Ada ponga sir.. Avaru FBla irukkaarunradhe konja neram munnadithaen enakku theriyum..

AravindMano
7th September 2012, 10:56 PM

You mean he is torn apart for mentioning Rahman? adhu vERa panjAyaththu illiyA?

What am trying to say is - Whether Srinivas belongs to a camp or not, a singer coming out in praise for a music album can never make him great. It's a natural reaction. niRaiya pEr avar "came out of the way and praised"-ngRadhE periya vishayamnu solRaanga, which I find funny.

And another group claims he has guts - avar innoru composer-singer-a dhairiyamA criticise paNNAr nu. adhu innoru panjAyaththu.

funny and sad state of affairs because - every line spoken about a Raja or Rahman album brings out so much context unnecessarily.